Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,694 members, 7,820,424 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:33 PM

What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? (21254 Views)

I Need A Mini Flat In A Conducive Environment.300k Annual Rent / For Rent: 5 Bedrooms Duplex At Slavik College, Oluyole Estate. Annual Rent:n1m / Senate Pegs Landlord's Rent Duration At One Year In FCT (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? by eagleeye2: 8:15am On Jul 16, 2017
haibe:
It depends on the agreement.. simple! Just be clear about what the terms are. If you are not satisfied with it, then look for another. If the agreement says the rent is from June 1 2017 to May 31 2018, then even if u move into the house june 31 2017, ur rent will still expire May 31 2018, which make your stay less than 12 months. Another person may negotiate an agreement based on when he moves into the apartment, so if he moves in june 31 2017, then his rent is due June 30 2018.
The confusion is that you people are looking at the dates.
If he moves in June 30th, 2017 the Landlord can decide to write June 2017 to May 2018 [notice that the particular date he moves in is not included] or the landlord may decide to write July 2017 to June 2018 (because he moved at the end of the month and it will be unfair to start counting from June). Again notice that it's just the months and not the dates.
Re: What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? by Ephort: 8:16am On Jul 16, 2017
eagleeye2:

I am not about to start an argument with you. If you know any property lawyer, you can reach out to him to educate you on this. I rent apartments and have been doing so for some years now.
Writing July 2017 to July 2018 is counting 13 months. If you do pay rents, you will notice that landlords hardly write July 14 2017 to July 13 2018. NO. They will rather write July 2017 to June 2018.
I'm a lawyer, and I tell you that any landlord that writes month without date is wrong. Tenancy is calculated by days not months. It expires on the "eve of the anniversary" of the date of payment. You may need to first know your right to be able to assert it. My current tenancy started form August 10, by August 9 this year, the rent expires. I'm not oblivious of some insane practices by landlords and property managers, but that doesn't change the law nor make it right.

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? by cajet: 8:24am On Jul 16, 2017
I am not about to start an argument with you. If you know any property lawyer, you can reach out to him to educate you on this. I rent apartments and have been doing so for some years now.
Writing July 2017 to July 2018 is counting 13 months. If you do pay rents, you will notice that landlords hardly write July 14 2017 to July 13 2018. NO. They will rather write July 2017 to June 2018.

What if by what you are saying, you renew the rent by that June, when will that also expire. May the following year abi?
Re: What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? by ndcide(m): 8:31am On Jul 16, 2017
All those counting months without the dates are cheats.

You saw a house that has not been rented for one year, on 20 may, you negotiate and pay on 25 may, moved in on 30may, you now say by April 1st of the next year, your rent is due?

Do you want God to punish you?

Okay let's say you paid.

-25 may 2015,

-Landlord says you are due in, 1sr April 2016, you pay.

- next year 2017,hell say you are due, 1st March 2015 abi?

-and then in 2018,it becomes 1st February?

Let's be honest jare, every landlord was a tenant. If you leave your domain, you are no longer a landlord, doubt it? Landlords, travel and see.

A yearly cycle runs with days.

That's how they have made a mess of the housing system with house rent now astronomical. Agents fee, agreement fee, caution fee and all bull shittt aimed at forcing money from people.

A house of 150k is increased to 300k just to get high percentage on those criminal charges.

Let's be honest, those of us in Lagos, have we had any benefit from such charges we paid along with the rent?

I'm not happy with the responses on this thread.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? by eagleeye2: 8:33am On Jul 16, 2017
Ephort:

I'm a lawyer, and I tell you that any landlord that writes month without date is wrong. Tenancy is calculated by days not months. It expires on the "eve of the anniversary" of the date of payment. You may need to first know your right to be able to assert it. My current tenancy started form August 10, by August 9 this year, the rent expires. I'm not oblivious of some insane practices by landlords and property managers, but that doesn't change the law nor make it right.
I specifically said property lawyer. Those who actually deliberate in courts for disputes in property matters. You being a lawyer doesn't mean you know everything about property laws.
I state again, I have been renting out apartments for years and I have even at a time, had this misunderstanding with a prospective tenant and I asked him to take the issue to his lawyer before we can proceed.
So I should start counting days instead of months because you are a lawyer?.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? by eagleeye2: 8:38am On Jul 16, 2017
cajet:

What if by what you are saying, you renew the rent by that June, when will that also expire. May the following year abi?
What I am simply saying is that, your rent runs from July 2017 through June 2018. From 1st of July 2018, you rent would have been determined and that means you the tenant is the one owing me and I the landlord have no obligations towards you the tenant.
For instance you cannot meet me to tell me that your roof is leaking and that i should do repairs for you. Comprende?
Re: What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? by NLProblemChild(m): 8:44am On Jul 16, 2017
otabuko:
February 2018
pls are u serious? How come?
Re: What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? by eagleeye2: 8:44am On Jul 16, 2017
Ephort:

Mr lawyer, have you ever thought of why quit notice reads from say; 1st of May to 31st October? And not 14th of May to 13th of October.
The same rule that applies in counting the duration of tenancy from 1st of the month (1st of January) to the 31st of the 12th month (31st December), applies in quit notices.
Re: What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? by NLProblemChild(m): 8:45am On Jul 16, 2017
calberian:

March 31, 2018
Re: What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? by moscobabs(m): 8:51am On Jul 16, 2017
akpamuomenka:

What if I pay in January 30th, 2017.

It seems you are calculating by the month and forgetting the date of payment.
Your rent dues on January 29
Re: What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? by mapist(m): 8:59am On Jul 16, 2017
Odosa1:
I have been wondering for a while now about the new trend of our landlords or caretakers. In the past i knew that a year rent start runing from a particular month in a particular year on to that same month in the the nxt year. (e.g july 2017 to july 2018).
But I have come to notice lately that most landlords or caretakers insists dt a year rent runs frm a particular month in a particular yr to the previous month in the nxt yr (e.g july 2017 to june 2018).
I understnd dt a year consists of 12months and that a child who is born july dis yr will only plock a year whn it exactly july nxt year, but going by their calculations, it doesnt add up.
Please nairalanders help my ignorance by adding ur contributions on the comment section.
God bless u.
Cc.
Lalasticlala
seun
mynd44
abeg make una help us push am reach fp for more contibutions.

July 1st, 2017 to June 30th,2018. It should end a day before the date you moved in.
Re: What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? by bigtt76(f): 9:03am On Jul 16, 2017
Nor bi de same lawyers de draft the useless agreement? Or mislead the landlords? angry

dingbang:
This time around.. I go carry lawyer with me whenever I wan go rent house..

After all the school wey some people go, dem no fit count how many months are in one year. Its so terrible.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? by calberian: 9:08am On Jul 16, 2017
NLProblemChild:

Oct 1 '15 to Sept 30 '17 is two yrs.

If Oct 1 '17 to Oct 31 '17 is one month,
Oct 1 '17 to Dec 31 '17 will be a three-month period.

In the same vein,
Jan 1 '18 to March 31 '18 is three months.

So Oct 1 '17 to Mar 31 '18 is six months

1 Like

Re: What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? by calberian: 9:10am On Jul 16, 2017
mapist:

July 1st, 2017 to June 30th,2018. It should end a day before the date you moved in.

Not the day he moved in but the day that the rent begins to count/run.

A lot of folks move in much later than the date of commencement.
Re: What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? by opedaydydx9(m): 9:13am On Jul 16, 2017
Just a month diff shouldn't be a problem, my landlord wrote from January to December, I dint even bother a bit cause I knw ama pay before next January.... Wts th e fuss about pls
Re: What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? by calberian: 9:13am On Jul 16, 2017
moscobabs:

Your rent dues on January 29

In practice, if he paid on the 30th of January, the earliest possible date that the rent should begin to count is February 1.

In some cases, grace is granted to the tenant (especially where there's some renovation to be done) to have his rent commence by Mar 1
Re: What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? by fellom(m): 9:48am On Jul 16, 2017
Sowada:
I have the same problem with our new caretaker, he came last year and change everything to 11months instead of 12months. From one month (July) to the next year June) and we argue with he insist on it. I beliv it is those who depend on the rent for there life that is changing it. May God bless my hustle make I be landlord too.
Amen ooo and me too ooo
Re: What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? by folmus: 10:04am On Jul 16, 2017
Oya, Why NYSC certificate dey carry same months e.g Feb 2007 -Feb 2008? grin grin grin

Even thats what most employers do: If you start work in January, na January following year you be 1 year shocked shocked
Re: What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? by Ephort: 10:15am On Jul 16, 2017
eagleeye2:

Mr lawyer, have you ever thought of why quit notice reads from say; 1st of May to 31st October? And not 14th of May to 13th of October.
The same rule that applies in counting the duration of tenancy from 1st of the month (1st of January) to the 31st of the 12th month (31st December), applies in quit notices.
You don't really need to quote me if you don't know what you are saying. Quit notice reads 14th to 13th too. Have you even seen a tenancy agreement, ir do you think receipt is all you need. Tenancy agreement must read the particular date of commencement, not necessarily the date of payment. Why don't you pick up the tenancy law of your state and help yourself other than arguing blindly. FYI, I practiced as a litigation lawyer for a year and now I've been into property law practice for 4 years. Tenancy terminates on the eve of the anniversary of the starting date, and not first day of the starting month.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? by otabuko(m): 10:30am On Jul 16, 2017
NLProblemChild:
1st October 2015- 30th September 2016[1 year] 1st October 2016 - 30th September 2017[2nd year] 1st October - 31st March 2018[half]. Sorry march

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? by eagleeye2: 10:35am On Jul 16, 2017
Ephort:

You don't really need to quote me if you don't know what you are saying. Quit notice reads 14th to 13th too. Have you even seen a tenancy agreement, ir do you think receipt is all you need. Tenancy agreement must read the particular date of commencement, not necessarily the date of payment. Why don't you pick up the tenancy law of your state and help yourself other than arguing blindly. FYI, I practiced as a litigation lawyer for a year and now I've been into property law practice for 4 years. Tenancy terminates on the eve of the anniversary of the starting date, and not first day of the starting month.
Oga Lawyer, I do take in tenants and quit tenants as a Landlord. I don't need to argue with you on this. In fact my tenancy agreement reads ONE MONTH Notice to quit, if you don't like it you can check elsewhere. As a landlord I have seen wicked tenants who will like to twist the law at every turn to favor them.
You can advice your client whatsoever that suit your fancy, in practice a landlord will determine what happens in his/her house.
Re: What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? by valarinz: 11:20am On Jul 16, 2017
eagleeye2:

Oga Lawyer, I do take in tenants and quit tenants as a Landlord. I don't need to argue with you on this. In fact my tenancy agreement reads ONE MONTH Notice to quit, if you don't like it you can check elsewhere. As a landlord I have seen wicked tenants who will like to twist the law at every turn to favor them.
You can advice your client whatsoever that suit your fancy, in practice a landlord will determine what happens in his/her house.

You claim to be a lawyer? And you say if I pay on the 14th of June my rent will expire on May next year? What an embarrassment to your profession

I'm sure the house you rent out is the face me I face you types, no learned folk renting a decent apartment will take this your dumb shit

While you keep cheating illetrates and feel smart about it, let your conscience judge you, bye

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? by KingsleyCEO: 12:01pm On Jul 16, 2017
dingbang:
This time around.. I go carry lawyer with me whenever I wan go rent house..

After all the school wey some people go, dem no fit count how many months are in one year. Its so terrible.

Is not a case of not being able to count properly they are just greedy.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? by potent5(m): 12:39pm On Jul 16, 2017
Mynd44:

The OP refers to when the rent starts to count from the first day of the month (I think)

In this case, your receipt will most likely say "July 2015 to June 2016" which is valid. Cos July 1, 2015 through June 30, 2016 is one year. Saying it should be "July 2017 to July 2018" is wrong as that can be assumed to be the end of July eg. If the rent is paid July 14. You dont expect the landlord to give you through July 31 do you?

If the yearly rent was paid In January 1st, your receipt will read "Rent from January to December 2017"

As regards to the reference on birthday. If you were born March 1st, a year runs through to February 28/29 not March 1st. March 1st marks the start of a new year.
Bros, are you a lawyer? Your reasoning is so sound and logical. Nice.
Re: What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? by potent5(m): 12:48pm On Jul 16, 2017
eagleeye2:

With due respect, you are wrong. Different rules apply to duration of tenancy and notice to quit.

A yearly tenancy must be for a duration of 365 days ( or 366 as the case may be). Anything less than that cannot be regarded as a yearly tenancy in law.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? by eagleeye2: 12:53pm On Jul 16, 2017
potent5:

With due respect, you are wrong. Different rules apply to duration of tenancy and notice to quit.

A yearly tenancy must be for a duration of 365 days ( or 366 as the case may be). Anything less than that cannot be regarded as a yearly tenancy in law.
Ok Sir.
In practice, I will love to see how many landlords saying I am wrong.
Re: What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? by potent5(m): 1:09pm On Jul 16, 2017
eagleeye2:

Ok Sir.
In practice, I will love to see how many landlords saying I am wrong.
Trust me, most of the things done by landlords can't scale through the legitimacy test in any court. They only bank on the ignorance of tenants. That's why most of them do not want lawyer-tenants.
Re: What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? by eagleeye2: 1:47pm On Jul 16, 2017
potent5:

Trust me, most of the things done by landlords can't scale through the legitimacy test in any court. They only bank on the ignorance of tenants. That's why most of them do not want lawyer-tenants.
what if I told you that I have had lawyer tenants and this issue was not even debated.
Abeg, I don tire to argue. Let everyone believe what suits them. But if the OP, is in doubt he can challenge his landlord in court.
Am out of here.
Re: What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? by femi4: 2:56pm On Jul 16, 2017
MrBrownJay1:
A yearly rent runs for 12months, so if you enter on the 15th of July 2017, the rent will end on the 14th of July.2018
if you enter on the 1st of July, it ll expire at end of June next yr
Re: What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? by captain247: 3:56pm On Jul 16, 2017
Why is it only on rentage this method of calculation is applicable? If a document issued with a date say 29th of April 2012 and it's meant for 3yrs e. g drivers license or professional certificate the dates of expiry will be 28th of April 2015 and not calculated just as landlords calculate their rents.
Re: What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? by MrBrownJay1(m): 3:59pm On Jul 16, 2017
Mynd44:

The OP refers to when the rent starts to count from the first day of the month (I think)

In this case, your receipt will most likely say "July 2015 to June 2016" which is valid. Cos July 1, 2015 through June 30, 2016 is one year. Saying it should be "July 2017 to July 2018" is wrong as that can be assumed to be the end of July eg. If the rent is paid July 14. You dont expect the landlord to give you through July 31 do you?

If the yearly rent was paid In January 1st, your receipt will read "Rent from January to December 2017"

As regards to the reference on birthday. If you were born March 1st, a year runs through to February 28/29 not March 1st. March 1st marks the start of a new year.

Bro, as Much as you are absoluty RIGHT, i believe that this is a failed way to draw a rental agreement. You see, if you deal in Months, then it could be misinterpreted by both renter/owner. A month has 30 dAys so when writing JUNE 2018, does it mean at the beginning of the month or end?! When does the person have to leave the place?! What day rent is due?! It's too vague, and confusing.... that's why it is much easier to have a specific date (and even time).

1 Like

Re: What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent? by MrBrownJay1(m): 4:01pm On Jul 16, 2017
femi4:
if you enter on the 1st of July, it ll expire at end of June next yr

You are just repeating what I wrote

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sudden One Month Quit Notice: Please We Need Advice On Solution / Amosun At The Scene Of Collapsed Shopping Complex In Abeokuta / Building Plan Of A 2 Bedroom Block Of 4 Flats - Need Suggestions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.