Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,890 members, 7,817,618 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:39 PM

How To Discourage A Suffering Friend - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How To Discourage A Suffering Friend (687 Views)

Pastor Funke Adejumo: Full Time Housewife Is Full Time Suffering PLC Limited / Is It Good To Discourage People From Paying Tithe? / Time To Discourage Joke About Our Faith, Christ, And Christianity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Discourage A Suffering Friend by malvisguy212: 6:42am On Jul 16, 2017
I’ve told suffering friends about how other people are passing through the same situation or even More, I've even given examples from scripture like " all things work together for good for those who love God" and many.

Surprisingly, my advice didn’t help at all. My words just added to their pain. when a friend is told, his circumstances isn't that bad and he or she needed to trust God, am I discouraging them from there situation or am I adding more pain to their sorrow ? saying to them " all things work together for good to those who love God" yes, you are right , but don't you think they have herd all that before ? as job say:

Job 16:2-5
“I HAVE HEARD ALL THIS BEFORE. What miserable comforters you are! Won’t you ever stop blowing hot air? What makes you keep on talking? I could say the same things if you were in my place. I could spout off criticism and shake my head at you. But if it were me, I would encourage you. I would try to take away your grief”

job wanted them to stop talking, stop blowing hot air, if they are in his situation, he could say the same thing to them. So how should we treat our suffering friends? What does being a friend to someone in need even look like? What should we say to our neighbors who are struggling? What should we say to our neighbors who are struggling?

From my experience, the most comforting thing we can do is to sit and say nothing. When Job’s friends first saw him, “ they sat with him on the ground, seven days and seven nights, and no one spoke a word to him, for they saw that his suffering was very great ” (Job 2:13 ). Job’s friends should have finished the way they began.

listen to your suffering friends while they pour out there heart to you is more than words, they need you to listen to them while they cry, remember, there are no easy answer in times of grief and sufferings, we don't need to be savior to them they already have one so do we.

It’s hard to be compared to the seemingly perfect Christians in the world. Who appear to face every trial with smiles on their faces. Who never seem to get discouraged.

happy Sunday.
Re: How To Discourage A Suffering Friend by malvisguy212: 10:33am On Jul 30, 2017
Lalasticlala,
Re: How To Discourage A Suffering Friend by olaolutreasure(m): 2:18pm On Jan 14, 2018
malvisguy212:
Lalasticlala,
Same to u sir. Bro, I'm beginning to monitor u closely bcus I appreciate ur wisdom of d scripture, especiali Job. Thumbs up, more grace

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Discourage A Suffering Friend by malvisguy212: 7:43am On Mar 10, 2019
malvisguy212:
Lalasticlala,
Re: How To Discourage A Suffering Friend by malvisguy212: 7:28am On Aug 04, 2019
malvisguy212:
I’ve told suffering friends about how other people are passing through the same situation or even More, I've even given examples from scripture like " all things work together for good for those who love God" and many.

Surprisingly, my advice didn’t help at all. My words just added to their pain. when a friend is told, his circumstances isn't that bad and he or she needed to trust God, am I discouraging them from there situation or am I adding more pain to their sorrow ? saying to them " all things work together for good to those who love God" yes, you are right , but don't you think they have herd all that before ? as job say:

“I HAVE HEARD ALL THIS BEFORE. What miserable comforters you are! Won’t you ever stop blowing hot air? What makes you keep on talking? I could say the same things if you were in my place. I could spout off criticism and shake my head at you. But if it were me, I would encourage you. I would try to take away your grief”

job wanted them to stop talking, stop blowing hot air, if they are in his situation, he could say the same thing to them. So how should we treat our suffering friends? What does being a friend to someone in need even look like? What should we say to our neighbors who are struggling? What should we say to our neighbors who are struggling?

From my experience, the most comforting thing we can do is to sit and say nothing. When Job’s friends first saw him, “ they sat with him on the ground, seven days and seven nights, and no one spoke a word to him, for they saw that his suffering was very great ” (Job 2:13 ). Job’s friends should have finished the way they began.

listen to your suffering friends while they pour out there heart to you is more than words, they need you to listen to them while they cry, remember, there are no easy answer in times of grief and sufferings, we don't need to be savior to them they already have one so do we.

It’s hard to be compared to the seemingly perfect Christians in the world. Who appear to face every trial with smiles on their faces. Who never seem to get discouraged.

happy Sunday.
Re: How To Discourage A Suffering Friend by malvisguy212: 9:01am On Oct 27, 2019
malvisguy212:

happy Sunday.
happy Sunday
Re: How To Discourage A Suffering Friend by shesawesome(f): 9:09am On Oct 27, 2019
malvisguy212:

happy Sunday.
Right im facing my darkest times alone and deep down i wish i had a friend to comfort
Re: How To Discourage A Suffering Friend by malvisguy212: 1:07pm On Oct 27, 2019
shesawesome:
Right im facing my darkest times alone and deep down i wish i had a friend to comfort
face it with courage, hang in there, they say the brightest star comes from the darkest cloud and the purest silver come from the hottest furnace , Expect to suffer. It's comforting to
know that God will bring full justice later. But since God's allowing evil people to continue on for now, you can expect to suffer some. Don't take suffering as a
sign that you're doing anything wrong. It's not because you're a sinner. It's not because God has abandoned you. It's because in this life, WHEAT ALWAY'S SURROUNDED BY WEEDS. stay bless

(1) (Reply)

Interesting Facts About Bishop David Oyedepo As He Clock 63 / The Mysteries behind creation / Open Heaven Daily Devotional(wed. 03/01/2018) The Overcomers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.