Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,840 members, 7,813,816 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:00 PM

Roger Federer Wins Record 8 Wimbledon Tennis Title - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Roger Federer Wins Record 8 Wimbledon Tennis Title (415 Views)

Mercedes Driver Lewis Hamilton Wins Record Sixth British GP / Roger Federer Wins 100th ATP Tour Singles Title (Photos) / Roger Federer Wins 8th Wimbledon Title (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Roger Federer Wins Record 8 Wimbledon Tennis Title by konyenyamb(m): 7:47pm On Jul 16, 2017
Federer claimed his EIGHTH Wimbledon
singles title, the most by any man in any era, after Cilic broke down in tears during the second set.
Roger Federer won his first Wimbledon title in 2003 – and has gone on to win seven more, with his last coming five years ago
The big Croat had a problem with his left foot which was later treated at a medical timeout.
And the strange sight of a Wimbledon finalist in such distress took some of the gloss off Federer’s remarkable
achievement.
Cilic’s issue appeared to be purely
physical and he avoided becoming only the second player ever to retire in a Wimbledon final.
But he could not deny Federer a
triumphant return to winning ways.
Speaking after his victory, Federer was quick to pay tribute to his opponent.
He said: "It is cruel sometimes but he fought well and is a hero. So
congratulations on a wonderful
tournament.
"He should be really proud, this is a special occasion. It is cruel when you don't feel well in the final and I hope we can play down the road.
"I will have to take more time off! I don't know. I will have to take another six months.
Federer had to save a break point in the fourth game as Cilic made a confident start.
But in the fifth he set up a break chance of his own with some fantastic play which had the crowd on its feet.
And Cilic conceded another break, and with it the set, in the ninth game, despite going 30/0 ahead.
The Croat was soon behind in the
second, making three groundstroke errors from 30/15 up to hand Federer the game.
After the Swiss had held serve to take a 3-0 lead, Cilic broke down while sitting on his chair.
After a brief conversation with the
trainer, he sat with a towel over his head
to compose himself and when he
belatedly answered the umpire’s call of
“time”, the crowd gave him a rousing
reception.
But Federer showed no mercy, losing
only two points on his serve in the
whole set and taking Cilic’s again. The
Croat appeared to be treated for blisters
during the break.
It seemed to do him good and the third
set was even for a while, but yet another
forehand error by Cilic gave Federer the
chance to break for a 4-3 lead, and he
took it.
The Swiss then served his way into the
record books with an ace, claiming his
19th Grand Slam and continuing a quite
remarkable comeback at the age of 35.
But it was a tough day at the office for
Cilic although he admitted he played the
best tennis of his life to reach the final.
An emotional Cilic said: "I never give up
in a match. I gave it my best - it's all I can
do.
"I had an amazing journey here. I played
the best tennis of my life. I really want to
Re: Roger Federer Wins Record 8 Wimbledon Tennis Title by ebukahandsome(m): 7:49pm On Jul 16, 2017
Congratulations

(1) (Reply)

Neymar Signing ´would Be Good´ For PSG, Says Silva / BREAKING: Real Madrid Reportedly Agree Deal To Sign Kylian Mbappe For £160m / FIFA 2018 WC: Beat Cameroon For Ikeme, Rohr Tells Eagles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.