Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,227 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:04 AM

Highlander For Volvo XC 90 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Highlander For Volvo XC 90 (9296 Views)

Reliability Of VOLVO XC 90 / Urgent HELP Needed: Transmission Issues For Volvo S80 2.9L / Thread For Volvo Car Owners/lovers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Highlander For Volvo XC 90 by olasuncome(m): 2:15pm On Jul 17, 2017
Hello car guru's in the house. Please advice if it is a wise decision to trade my Toyota Highlander 2005 for a Volvo XC90 2009.
point to consider:
Ruggedness and cost of parts etc.
Re: Highlander For Volvo XC 90 by nurey(m): 3:34pm On Jul 17, 2017
Valarinz come and shed crocodile tears i mean shed more light to this query grin

volvo is rugged

Parts may be scarce at times

Technician know how may be limited

checking online, a complete leg work for highlander is around $420 while a volvo is around $5xx. Looking at both parts, the volvo looks more sturdy than the toyota KYB. If you have gone through a cycle of tokunbo and new suspension parts as i have gone through with toyota, then you will nicely pick a volvo over it. If buying online and importing wont be an issue for you, pick the volvo, if you dont mind gambling on suspension every 6-8months continue with the toyota, though it isnt always so.

3 Likes

Re: Highlander For Volvo XC 90 by valarinz: 4:18pm On Jul 17, 2017
nurey:
Valarinz come and shed crocodile tears i mean shed more light to this query grin

volvo is rugged

checking online, a complete leg work for highlander is around $420 while a volvo is around $5xx. Looking at both parts, the volvo looks more sturdy than the toyota KYB. If you have gone through a cycle of tokunbo and new suspension parts as i have gone through with toyota, then you will nicely pick a volvo over it. If buying online and importing wont be an issue for you, pick the volvo, if you dont mind gambling on suspension every 6-8months continue with the toyota, though it isnt always so.

Crocodile tears?? Hmm, I see you're one of those who finds it so hard to stand out of the crowd, probably afraid of losing peers approval, good thing I'm not

If you notice I don't usually come here to bash any car brand or claim Volvo superiority over any other car. Majority of my posts are replies to people who just cook up false facts(just cos they want to flow with the crowd and decide they have to say shit about a car they don't like) and as you know, if one keep quiet, those false/fake facts gradually becomes truth

I know this will soon degenerate to a Volvo/German/European cars vs Toyota thread, but I'll just chip in by saying that all cars have their fair share of issues and the most important thing is the love. If you love a car, then buy it(make sure to only buy the ones without issues). When using the car, even if any issues comes up, you'll handle it with love, cos you love the car

Since you're already using a highlander and now you're looking flirtatiously at the XC90, it means you've fallen out of love bro. Love is a beautiful thing, embrace it, marry your new love and treat her well, she'll reciprocate

In terms of cost of parts though(pls I don't care about what u people who will start bringing ebay links here has to say), any Toyota/Japanese car parts is more expensive than it's Volvo counterpart HERE IN NAIJA, I challenge anyone here to come prove me wrong.

Definition of ruggedity, to me is relative, what you consider a rugged performance might just be routine to me. But I sure know the XC90 will likely have more sensors and electrical components than the highlander of the same year, therefore less friendly to incompetent roadside kazeems, so do the maths(I'm assuming you're meaning of ruggedity includes tolerance to abuse and availability of mechanics)

In terms of longevity of shocks, I can't say for the hoghlander cos I haven't used one before, I only used a Camry for about 5yrs before it was stolen and I can tell you that the legs are not very rugged compared to any Volvo of its class, don't know if it's the same with the highlander though

Hope u gained something, tnx

15 Likes

Re: Highlander For Volvo XC 90 by OgaKazeem(m): 7:34pm On Jul 17, 2017
valarinz:

Crocodile tears?? Hmm, I see you're one of those who finds it so hard to stand out of the crowd, probably afraid of losing peers approval, good thing I'm not

If you notice I don't usually come here to bash any car brand or claim Volvo superiority over any other car. Majority of my posts are replies to people who just cook up false facts(just cos they want to flow with the crowd and decide they have to say shit about a car they don't like) and as you know, if one keep quiet, those false/fake facts gradually becomes truth

I know this will soon degenerate to a Volvo/German/European cars vs Toyota thread, but I'll just chip in by saying that all cars have their fair share of issues and the most important thing is the love. If you love a car, then buy it(make sure to only buy the ones without issues). When using the car, even if any issues comes up, you'll handle it with love, cos you love the car

Since you're already using a highlander and now you're looking flirtatiously at the XC90, it means you've fallen out of love bro. Love is a beautiful thing, embrace it, marry your new love and treat her well, she'll reciprocate

In terms of cost of parts though(pls I don't care about what u people who will start bringing ebay links here has to say), any Toyota/Japanese car parts is more expensive than it's Volvo counterpart HERE IN NAIJA, I challenge anyone here to come prove me wrong.

Definition of ruggedity, to me is relative, what you consider a rugged performance might just be routine to me. But I sure know the XC90 will likely have more sensors and electrical components than the highlander of the same year, therefore less friendly to incompetent roadside kazeems, so do the maths(I'm assuming you're meaning of ruggedity includes tolerance to abuse and availability of mechanics)

In terms of longevity of shocks, I can't say for the hoghlander cos I haven't used one before, I only used a Camry for about 5yrs before it was stolen and I can tell you that the legs are not very rugged compared to any Volvo of its class, don't know if it's the same with the highlander though

well done boss...

2 Likes

Re: Highlander For Volvo XC 90 by mayor2013: 8:41pm On Jul 17, 2017
When you hear prices for the parts of Volvo xc90 then you would jejely continue using your highlander. The 2 rides are no mates in anyway. Are you looking at the 8cylinders or 5 cylinders? The xc90 is over rugged

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Highlander For Volvo XC 90 by olasuncome(m): 10:34pm On Jul 17, 2017
mayor2013:
When you hear prices for the parts of Volvo xc90 then you would jejely continue using your highlander. The 2 rides are no mates in anyway. Are you looking at the 8cylinders or 5 cylinders? The xc90 is over rugged

thanks for your advice
Re: Highlander For Volvo XC 90 by olasuncome(m): 10:35pm On Jul 17, 2017
nurey:

volvo is rugged

thanks so very much
Re: Highlander For Volvo XC 90 by olasuncome(m): 10:37pm On Jul 17, 2017
valarinz:

very very elaborate. Thanks so very much

2 Likes

Re: Highlander For Volvo XC 90 by olasuncome(m): 10:41pm On Jul 17, 2017
mayor2013:

6cylinders preferably....
Re: Highlander For Volvo XC 90 by mayor2013: 2:00am On Jul 18, 2017
olasuncome:

6cylinders preferably....

6 cylinders OK. That Volvo has got a very durable engine. But make sure your pocket is attractive so when it starts calling for fixes you would gladly accommodate it
Re: Highlander For Volvo XC 90 by FLAKARIBE(m): 3:27pm On Jul 18, 2017
2.5L 2006 is best, all bugs sorted out.
V8 is good, but thirsty
If you must do "v6", avoid the 2.9 matted to a 4 speed auto gear prone to trans failure, however the year 08 and above 3.2L engine you can do.

You only live Once, why not take a risk and enjoy life at its best...do not let the fear of the unknown limit your goals and objectives.

Stay blessed!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Highlander For Volvo XC 90 by kingreign(m): 4:18pm On Jul 18, 2017
olasuncome:
Hello car guru's in the house. Please advice if it is a wise decision to trade my Toyota Highlander 2005 for a Volvo XC90 2009.
point to consider:
Ruggedness and cost of parts etc.

having owned a 2003 Toyota highlander 2.4l i4 as a daily car for 4 good years without ANY challenge and then sold it to another person who uses it till date, id tell you the truth, you're about missing a very fine SUV.

Yes, they'll tell you, volvo is strong, volvo is balanced, volvo is opulent, volvo this volvo that.

Lets come to the basics;
1. reliability: highlander wins.

2. Practicality: highlander wins

3. Simplicity: highlander wins

4. Longevity: highlander wins

5. Speed: volvo wins (v8 and T6)

6. Offroad: NIL (highlander has 50/50 split awd system, volvo has 90/10 split awd system. (highlander is better offroad by a little margin due to lack of locking diff)

7. Ease of maintenance: highlander wins clearly.

8. Luxury: depending on trim, both can be a hard fought battle.

9. Safety: volvo has a long safety reputation but highlander has low fatality rates and is also very safe.

Summary, get a lexus if you want opulence but highlander for practicality. Leave the volvo,

3 Likes

Re: Highlander For Volvo XC 90 by valarinz: 6:22pm On Jul 18, 2017
kingreign:

having owned a 2003 Toyota highlander 2.4l i4 as a daily car for 4 good years without ANY challenge and then sold it to another person who uses it till date, id tell you the truth, you're about missing a very fine SUV.

Yes, they'll tell you, volvo is strong, volvo is balanced, volvo is opulent, volvo this volvo that.

Lets come to the basics;

6. Offroad: NIL (highlander has 50/50 split awd system, volvo has 90/10 split awd system. (highlander is better offroad by a little margin due to lack of locking diff)

9. Safety: volvo has a long safety reputation but highlander has low fatality rates and is also very safe.

Summary, get a lexus if you want opulence but highlander for practicality. Leave the volvo,

It's clear you don't ever see anything good in any car that's not a Toyota, that's not the news here, but the bigotry in favor of Toyota didn't even allow you to do this too:

9. Safety: Volvo XC90 wins

Yet you tried to water it down with one long English, it's very clear at this point to every smart person how serious to take all the previous assertions grin

18 Likes

Re: Highlander For Volvo XC 90 by kingreign(m): 6:45pm On Jul 18, 2017
valarinz:

It's clear you don't ever see anything good in any car that's not a Toyota, that's not the news here, but the bigotry in favor of Toyota didn't even allow you to do this too:

8. Safety: Volvo XC90 wins

Yet you tried to water it down with one long English, it's very clear at this point to every smart person how serious to take all the previous assertions grin

On the contrary, I prefer a Lexus or a Honda or Acura to a mainstream Toyota. But, spades for spades, Toyota has been a delightful faithful companion.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Highlander For Volvo XC 90 by valarinz: 7:55pm On Jul 18, 2017
kingreign:

On the contrary, I prefer a Lexus or a Honda or Acura to a mainstream Toyota. But, spades for spades, Toyota has been a delightful faithful companion.

Have you extensively used the XC90 or any other Volvo(by this I mean for at least a year or two as your daily car) or are you just denigrating the ride based on what you see people type online or for the few mins/hrs drive you took in someone else's own

I for one have used a Camry for almost five years, likewise the Volvo, so when I come to say that the Camry is qquite rugged it won't be cos I see peeps singing praise or hyping it online but cos I have used it. As I haven't used any Honda product too, but read a lot about it online and hear from other peeps, will it be fair for me to come and make authoritative statements about the accord?

3 Likes

Re: Highlander For Volvo XC 90 by kingreign(m): 8:10pm On Jul 18, 2017
valarinz:

Have you extensively used the XC90 or any other Volvo(by this I mean for at least a year or two as your daily car) or are you just denigrating the ride based on what you see people type online or for the few mins/hrs drive you took in someone else's own

I for one have used a Camry for almost five years, likewise the Volvo, so when I come to say that the Camry is qquite rugged it won't be cos I see peeps singing praise or hyping it online but cos I have used it. As I haven't used any Honda product too, but read a lot about it online and hear from other peeps, will it be fair for me to come and make authoritative statements about the accord?
An uncle owns a V8 2006 model, I've driven it a couple of times. I know that car quite well. I've ran diagnosis on it, I've done brake works on it. I have had to replace the battery underneath the booth floor. I also have been opportune to see a friend's father's own T6 in Calabar. With the turbo blown and shaft squeaking a lot due to his dad's drivers negligence.

My only grouse with Volvo XC90 is its AWD system why 10% power to rear? What happens to 40-65%power to rear?
Re: Highlander For Volvo XC 90 by valarinz: 9:43pm On Jul 18, 2017
kingreign:

An uncle owns a V8 2006 model, I've driven it a couple of times. I know that car quite well. I've ran diagnosis on it, I've done brake works on it. I have had to replace the battery underneath the booth floor. I also have been opportune to see a friend's father's own T6 in Calabar. With the turbo blown and shaft squeaking a lot due to his dad's drivers negligence.

My only grouse with Volvo XC90 is its AWD system why 10% power to rear? What happens to 40-65%power to rear?

In summary, I think it's just safe to say that for personal reasons you just don't like anything Volvo, based on your description above(turbo blown and shaft squeaking, which is definitely not Volvo's fault). This is normal as everyone is not supposed to love one thing, as our names differ, so does our views and preferences

Based on how my journey with the Camry ended, I've come to despise anything Toyota(except the much recent models with better security features). And as I know I have that natural bias against it, you see I never go to threads where people bring up issues about Toyota or Camry to comment. This is cos I know my responses will be based on 10% facts and 90% emotions. I suggest you do the same.

Tnx

6 Likes

Re: Highlander For Volvo XC 90 by kingreign(m): 9:53pm On Jul 18, 2017
valarinz:

In summary, I think it's just safe to say that for personal reasons you just don't like anything Volvo, based on your description above(turbo blown and shaft squeaking, which is definitely not Volvo's fault). This is normal as everyone is not supposed to love one thing, as our names differ, so does our views and preferences

Based on how my journey with the Camry ended, I've come to despise anything Toyota(except the much recent models with better security features). And as I know I have that natural bias against it, you see I never go to threads where people bring up issues about Toyota or Camry to comment. This is cos I know my responses will be based on 10% facts and 90% emotions. I suggest you do the same.
Tnx
The way you decide your own choice, preference, not my ish. The way i decide my choice not your ish. Besides, no need taking this personal from the tone of your response, you have. You won't stop me from commenting on ANY threads in NL I so decide to comment on.

And one last thing, learn to look at views from a wider perspective without emotional attachments.

Gracias!

3 Likes

Re: Highlander For Volvo XC 90 by valarinz: 10:49pm On Jul 18, 2017
kingreign:

The way you decide your own choice, preference, not my ish. The way i decide my choice not your ish. Besides, no need taking this personal from the tone of your response, you have. You won't stop me from commenting on ANY threads in NL I so decide to comment on.

And one last thing, learn to look at views from a wider perspective without emotional attachments.

Gracias!

Ok, lets start removing emotions from now on, so, how about we start from point no. 9 from your list, state the clear winner the way you stated it on the others, after then we'll move on to no. 8 maybe

1 Like

Re: Highlander For Volvo XC 90 by kingreign(m): 10:58pm On Jul 18, 2017
valarinz:

Ok, lets start removing emotions from now on, so, how about we start from point no. 9 from your list, state the clear winner the way you stated it on the others, after then we'll move on to no. 8 maybe

How about we start it this way, take away the emotions and bias. Then do a thorough review from both online and real life owners of the said cars?

Bros, over 80million Americans using Toyotas can't lie or be fooling themselves over and over. Not to even talk about Asians, Europeans, Arabians, Africans, Australians and N. Zealanders. Do the maths.

Check the numbers.
Re: Highlander For Volvo XC 90 by valarinz: 11:06pm On Jul 18, 2017
kingreign:

How about we start it this way, take away the emotions and bias. Then do a thorough review from both online and real life owners of the said cars?

Bros, over 80million Americans using Toyotas can't lie or be fooling themselves over and over. Not to even talk about Asians, Europeans, Arabians, Africans, Australians and N. Zealanders. Do the maths.

Check the numbers.

So, its now about numbers ehn, how many corolla cars are sold worldwide, so that makes it a better car than maybe a bugatti?

9. Safety : ............... Fill in the dots lets proceed pls

1 Like

Re: Highlander For Volvo XC 90 by kingreign(m): 11:39pm On Jul 18, 2017
Sentimental thread.

Unfollows.
Re: Highlander For Volvo XC 90 by mrchuckz: 6:29pm On Jul 19, 2017
Hmmmnnn. Toy ota
Re: Highlander For Volvo XC 90 by mrchuckz: 6:32pm On Jul 19, 2017
Volvo is cool anytime any day.
Rugged
safe
luxurious
fast

4 Likes

Re: Highlander For Volvo XC 90 by SmartchoiceNGR: 8:43pm On Jul 19, 2017
mrchuckz:
Volvo is cool anytime any day.
Rugged
safe
luxurious
fast

And maintenance costs a arm

Re: Highlander For Volvo XC 90 by diportivo: 10:06pm On Jul 19, 2017
valarinz....u get time

op

its time to step

grab the volvo

u wont regret it.........
Re: Highlander For Volvo XC 90 by nams77: 10:07am On Jul 20, 2017
Hmmm. So many fireworks here. When people make analysis, they should pls give hard evidence with stats(empirical facts). I have not driven the said Volvo, but I have spoken to quite a few numbers of Volvo users down south and they seem to be happy with their rides.(v40). Recently I met one and he told me he has been using his s40(2000 model) for 7years. He affectionately calls it his swamp buggy, as he said the vehicle use to swim the large body of water to his house. He just upgraded to an SUV (Volvo) .

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Highlander For Volvo XC 90 by Decale: 2:20pm On Jul 21, 2017
kingreign:

Lets come to the basics;

Is this how people give advice on NL? grin

The guy said simplicity. What is simplicity? grin

Luxury depends on trim? 2009 xc90 to a 2005 highlander? Aye mi. I didn't know trim now changes interior of a car. All these while, I thought it only adds options. This guy can't differentiate between features and luxury.

Adding longevity and reliability in 2 different points? grin

Practicality? Both have third row seats. Volvo has more leg room and trunk space sef. Really? grin

And safety? With the way you wrote that sentence, I gave up. grin

What haven't I seen on NL? grin
Safe to say, I won't come here for car advice

9 Likes

Re: Highlander For Volvo XC 90 by lexini: 3:51pm On Jul 21, 2017
Bro,

original parts for Highlander are also 'expensive'

stop comparing 'fake' toyota parts we all buy to the 'original' volvo parts.

peace

mayor2013:

8 Likes

Re: Highlander For Volvo XC 90 by mayor2013: 3:59pm On Jul 21, 2017
lexini:
Bro,

original parts for Highlander are also 'expensive'

stop comparing 'fake' toyota parts we all buy to the 'original' volvo parts.

peace

Some few minutes before your response close to my workshop a guy uses the Volvo xc90 2006 we got talking and I asked him what happened to his rear lights. He told me he broke them accidentally and price each a piece for 35k.

Note: the 35k does not cover the upper rear light which is think like in structure. My question goes this: how much is rear light for a Toyota Highlander 05

1 Like

Re: Highlander For Volvo XC 90 by kingreign(m): 4:26pm On Jul 21, 2017
Decale:

[s]Is this how people give advice on NL? grin

The guy said simplicity. What is simplicity? grin

Luxury depends on trim? 2009 xc90 to a 2005 highlander? Aye mi. I didn't know luxury now changes interior of a car. All these while, I thought it only adds options. This guy can't differentiate between features and luxury.

Adding longevity and reliability in 2 different points? grin

Practicality? Both have third row seats. Volvo has more leg room and trunk space sef. Really? grin

And safety? With the way you wrote that sentence, I gave up. grin

What haven't I seen on NL? grin
Safe to say, I won't come here for car advice[/s]

guy, park well, after all the bleat you bleat you should realise you've said nothing, undecided
Re: Highlander For Volvo XC 90 by Decale: 5:41pm On Jul 21, 2017
kingreign:

guy, park well, after all the bleat you bleat you should realise you've said nothing, undecided

I wasn't going for something.

It's you who thought you said something. That poor guy must have kept to his highlander from your advice

You should take this professional grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Local Vehicle Assemblers Struggle Amid $1 Billion Investment, Lament Low Demand / 7 Reasons Why Innoson Cars Can Be Relied On / How To Check The Fuel Guage To Ensure It's Still Working

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.