Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,066 members, 7,810,987 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:04 PM

What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented (2111 Views)

SINACH:What Exactly Is Mercy Chinwo Nnenda Doing On This List For Christ Sake / Will Nigeria Ever Look This In Your Lifetime? / What Exactly Are We Restructuring? - Dele Momodu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented by Goahead(m): 6:55pm On Jul 17, 2017
Okay, after going through the deluge of threads showcasing the petty achievements of the Igbos and Yorubas, I was prompted to ask myself this question, What have Nigeria as a nation ever invented?

Even, just few hours ago I was surfing through the list of AK47 operators. And I saw we are actually producing the gun right here in Nigeria... It dawned on me that we just might be producing other cool stuffs of native inventory.

I am employing hardcore patriots and historians like Rossikki, Sarrki and Naptu2 to shed more light on our inventories.

Lalasticlala, please, do the needful.
Re: What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented by Hopeful20100: 6:59pm On Jul 17, 2017
Typical Afonja Op. Asking useless question.

2 Likes

Re: What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented by Goahead(m): 7:02pm On Jul 17, 2017
Hopeful20100:
Not everybody is afonja, you hunk of shitt.

3 Likes

Re: What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented by sarrki(m): 7:05pm On Jul 17, 2017
Goahead:
Okay, after going through the deluge of threads showcasing the petty achievements of the Igbos and Yorubas, I was prompted to ask myself this question, What have Nigeria as a nation ever invented?

Even, just few hours ago I was surfing through the list of AK47 operators. And I saw we are actually producing the gun right here in Nigeria... It dawned on me that we just might be producing other cool stuffs of native inventory.

I am employing hardcore patriots and historians like Rossik, Sarrki and Naptu2 to shed more light on our inventories.

Nothing

Having said that I think we can do more on research and development

From there we can do better
Re: What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented by ExpensiveG: 7:11pm On Jul 17, 2017
Dey guy above me, must be a good DEFENDER,

him dey always defend em ZOO

SARRKI we can do better with dis our bad government

SMH

7 Likes

Re: What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented by Goahead(m): 7:12pm On Jul 17, 2017
sarrki:

Nothing

Having said that I think we can do more on research and development

From there we can do better
Quite sad that none of our past governments invested in the striving people of Aba - A potential technological "turn around" for the black race cry

5 Likes

Re: What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented by Amarabae(f): 7:13pm On Jul 17, 2017
1. Nkwobi 2. Suya 3. Moi-Moi 4. Shoki 5. Tribalism etc

2 Likes

Re: What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented by nextprince: 7:14pm On Jul 17, 2017
OP, no machine or any fairly complex tool was ever invented by one man. All inventions are combinations and contribution of efforts over time by several scientists and most likely from different countries.
Although the concept may be conceived by one man, the implementation to a workable level had never been achieved by one man.
I stand to be corrected with proof.
Re: What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented by ExpensiveG: 7:15pm On Jul 17, 2017
Amarabae:
1. Nkwobi 2. Suya 3. Moi-Moi 4. Shoki 5. Tribalism etc
grin

3 Likes

Re: What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented by Emodeee: 7:17pm On Jul 17, 2017
they invented chachecheesy.
Re: What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented by sarrki(m): 7:18pm On Jul 17, 2017
Goahead:
Quite sad that none of our past governments invested in the striving people of Aba - A potential technological "turn around" for the black race cry

Like i always point out to our teeming youth

Most of the people in authority care less about the masses.

I pray we get it right soon

That we will be able to invest in our education system heavily
Re: What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented by sarrki(m): 7:19pm On Jul 17, 2017
Amarabae:
1. Nkwobi
2. Suya
3. Moi-Moi
4. Shoki
5. Tribalism
etc

Finally and the other Room grin

3 Likes

Re: What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented by FeloniousFelon: 7:20pm On Jul 17, 2017
Replication isn't invention
Re: What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented by Goahead(m): 7:22pm On Jul 17, 2017
nextprince:
OP, no machine or any fairly complex tool was ever invented by one man. All inventions are combinations and contribution of efforts over time by several scientists and most likely from different countries.
Although the concept may be conceived by one man, the implementation to a workable level had never been achieved by one man.
I stand to be corrected with proof.
You seems lost (my apologies). In the context of my post, I emphasized on the inventories of Nigeria as a nation.. Just as you'd accredite the invention of AK47 to Russia... Got it?
Re: What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented by FeloniousFelon: 7:24pm On Jul 17, 2017
Goahead:
You seems lost (my apologies). In the context of my post, I emphasized on the inventories of Nigeria as a nation.. Just as you'd accredite the invention of AK47 to Russia... Got it?

First go and consult your dictionary on what it means to invent something first.
Re: What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented by sarrki(m): 7:24pm On Jul 17, 2017
Hopeful20100:

.tribalism kills faster than hepatitis b
Re: What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented by sarrki(m): 7:25pm On Jul 17, 2017
FeloniousFelon:

First go and consult your dictionary on what it means to invent something first.

Sire just save us the stress by telling us
Re: What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented by FeloniousFelon: 7:26pm On Jul 17, 2017
Buharism is a political ideology invented by a Nigerian which puts common sense economics on its head enforced by fascist nationalist mor0ns who have no clue on what they are doing.

2 Likes

Re: What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented by FeloniousFelon: 7:27pm On Jul 17, 2017
sarrki:

.tribalism kills faster than hepatitis b

And zombiesm is aids, cancer rolled up in one
Re: What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented by Goahead(m): 7:27pm On Jul 17, 2017
sarrki:

Sire just save us the stress by telling us
Are you actually minding that Harvard educated friend grin
Re: What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented by sarrki(m): 7:33pm On Jul 17, 2017
FeloniousFelon:
Buharism is a political ideology invented by a Nigerian which puts common sense economics on its head enforced by fascist nationalist mor0ns who have no clue on what they are doing.

Early signs of frustra.....on
Re: What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented by moblix: 7:38pm On Jul 17, 2017
Runs girls
Re: What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented by nextprince: 7:39pm On Jul 17, 2017
Goahead:

Read through the history of its development. The whole concept wasn't originally designed in Russia, it was an improvement over the previous SKS which wasn't a Russian technology.

Use Google
Re: What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented by Goahead(m): 8:11pm On Jul 17, 2017
nextprince:

Read through the history of its development. The whole concept wasn't originally designed in Russia, it was an improvement over the previous SKS which wasn't a Russian technology.

Use Google
It was based on a technology outside of Russia - I agree. But, lemme ask you, in which country was AK47 made, Russia, right?
Nobody cares if any of our native inventories is co-inspired by South Africa or North Korea provided it has Nigerian patent.
Re: What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented by Mazeltovscotty(m): 8:34pm On Jul 17, 2017
Hopeful20100:
kids have invaded nairaland
Re: What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented by Rossikki: 8:43pm On Jul 17, 2017
Goahead:

I am employing hardcore patriots and historians like Rossikki, Sarrki and Naptu2 to shed more light on our inventories.

Fantastic question. Fact is our universities and technological institutes have churned out literally hundreds of inventions over the years. And before you blame the 'Nigerian government' for not ''encouraging'' those innovators, bear in mind that it is not the government's job to ''encourage'' any inventor. It is the private sector that should take advantage of these talents. The problem is that our inventors are just not very good at marketing their work and attracting investment from venture capitalists. This is where they always fall short. So their inventions sit in universities and institutes.

I remember a few years back when some guy invented a yam pounder or something. Next thing you know some Korean factories started manufacturing it. Again that is not the fault of the Nigerian government, but of the Nigerian private sector (assuming they were approached), for not capitalizing on the invention. But believe you me, there are no shortage of inventions in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented by Rossikki: 8:52pm On Jul 17, 2017
Top 10 Inventions by Nigerians You Didn’t Know About

Generally, when we talk about an invention, we refer to a novel creation, a new process of doing something. Positive and novel inventions are always welcome because they produce great breakthrough and make life easier one way or the other.

Everything man-made was and still is a result of an invention. So it’s safe to say that inventions make the man-made world go round. Over the years, great inventors have been recognized in history for coming up with astounding inventions which have revolutionized our world. Some of these inventions were achieved by Nigerians and we bet you are not aware of some, if not most, of them.

Here are 10 inventions by Nigerians you might not know about:

1. Emergency Blood Auto Transfusion System

Think about this great invention and how many lives that have and could still be saved using this inventive system. The Emergency Blood Auto Transfusion System is a low-cost blood transfusion system which has the ability to recover blood from a patient’s internal bleeding organs and then re-infuses the blood back into the patient’s blood system, thereby preventing blood loss.

This system has been designed to transfuse blood in a safe and non-infectious manner. It also works without electricity. We could go on and on about this system but let’s go ahead and introduce the inventor; he is none other than Dr. Otu Oviemo Ovadje (Rtd.). Worthy of mention is the fact that the inventor is a Brigadier General in the Nigerian army.

2. Counter Collision Gadget (CCG)

This invention is another unique and novel one. The Counter Collision Gadget is a device that has the capability of preventing a collision in locomotive vehicles, either on land, air or at sea. Developing a device that has been designed to prevent air, land, rail and sea accidents brought great accolades for the inventor, a Nigerian physicist from Edo state named Brino Gilbert.

So if you see a car that can stop on its own accord to prevent an accident - that could be the work of a Nigerian.

3. INYE-1 & 2 Tablet Computer

The next time you see a tablet with the name “INYE”; bear in mind that it was invented by a Nigerian. The Inye tablet was designed to run on the android operating system. The Inye 1 & 2 tablet computers were among the first tablet computers to be launched in the African market especially here in Nigeria.

The tablet was invented by Saheed Adepoju in 2010. His tablet is a 7-inch resistive touch tablet which has Wi-Fi and an inbuilt SIM.

4. First Solid Fuel Rocket

A Nigerian came up with the idea of creating a rocket which could run on solid fuel. At such a young age (26), Shehu Saleh Balami invented and launched a solid-fuel rocket at the new Kaduna Millennium City Road in Kaduna State in 2008. He is a graduate of Mechanical engineering at the Federal University of technology Minna, Niger State.

5. Method of making electroplated interconnection structures on integrated circuit chips

Like we said earlier, an invention does not necessarily have to be a new machine or device. A new and improved method of solving a problem also passes as an invention, that is exactly what Mr. Cyprian Emeka Uzoh came up with. He developed a novel method of making electroplated interconnection structures on integrated circuit chips.

Mr. Uzoh is a celebrated Computer scientist with over 160 inventions patented under his name. IBM uses his galvanoplasty technology as the main method of cabling devices using electric fields and metal mods to polish metals with low pressures.

6. Microchip used in minimally invasive surgical robots

In this invention, the microchip was designed and embedded in robots which were used in performing minimally invasive surgeries. The microchip had the ability to store information and it is also able to control the surgical robot.

This microchip was invented by Engr. Ndubuisi Ekekwe. That invention has given the Nigerian engineer many accolades, awards, and international recognition.

7. Method for tackling drug-resistant infections

As medical science continues to evolve, one of the major challenges that faces researchers is, coming up with a means of treating infection/diseases which are resistant to drugs. Yemi Adesokan made an innovative research into the subject; the result was him coming up with an invention on a method by which drug-resistant infections can be treated.

His invention has already been put to use, especially in Africa were numerous infections and diseases are poorly managed. It is believed that Adesokan’s invention is capable of putting an end to the problem of drug-resistant infections in the world if properly employed.

8. Pleasant-tasting aqueous liquid composition of a bitter-tasting drug

So as not to bore you with the chemical mumbo-jumbo, what was done in this invention was to find a way of making bitter-tasting drugs into liquid and pleasant-tasting drugs. A lot of people find difficulty in swallowing solid drugs (tablets), while others complain of the overly bitter taste of some drugs.

Aloysius Anaebonam, a Nigerian, was able to come up with an aqueous liquid composition which comprises a pharmaceutically effective amount of a bitter-tasting drug that is dissolved or dispersed in an aqueous medium that is free of ethanol. This aqueous liquid has a pleasant taste when orally administered, although it has the same effect of the bitter-tasting drug.

9. First microchip processors to support TLS

In another groundbreaking invention, a Nigerian was able to create the first microchip processors which support thread-level speculation. His invention was acquired by Sun Microsystem and is actively being used today in Sun Microsystem’s throughput computing technology.

10. World's Fastest Computer

Ever heard of the world’s fastest and most efficient computer? It was actually invented by a Nigerian, by name, Dr. Philip Emeagwali. Dr. Emeagwali carefully studied the efficient ways in which bees communicate and build honeycombs and decided to create a computer that could work that way.

The result was that he successfully combined 65,000 processors to invent the world’s fastest computer, which performs computations at 3.1 billion calculations per second. Today, Dr. Philip Emeagwali’s invention is applied in weather forecasting supercomputers as well as computers which can predict global warming.

If you are as dazed as we are at these accomplishments by Nigerians, then I bet you are thinking of the next big invention to show the world. Hang in there until your invention sees the light of day; the world can hardly wait!

https://idonsabi.com/2016/09/15/top-10-inventions-by-nigerians-you-didnt-know-about/

5 Likes

Re: What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented by EmeeNaka: 8:52pm On Jul 17, 2017
And you called Sarrki patriot?
1) Ogbunigwe-- invented by Biafran armies in late 1960s

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented by deji68: 8:55pm On Jul 17, 2017
Autonov 1 ...by prof Ayodele Awojobi gear system used in many millitary vehicle.

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented by Warship: 9:02pm On Jul 17, 2017
A dead President ruling a country.

That is a great invention
Re: What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented by ayoncox: 9:03pm On Jul 17, 2017
Basically Nigeria does not have any world class based invention in the area of technology but in medicine and biochemistry we have tried. But our government fustrate them, dont forget Abalaka. We have Nigerians as inventors but I have rarely found any that did such for Nigeria instead it is China, USA or Uk often
Re: What Exactly Have Nigeria Ever Invented by Rossikki: 9:29pm On Jul 17, 2017
ayoncox:
Basically Nigeria does not have any world class based invention in the area of technology but in medicine and biochemistry we have tried.

Phillip Emeagwali inventing the world's fastest computer sounds pretty world class technological to me.

But our government fustrate them, dont forget Abalaka. We have Nigerians as inventors but I have rarely found any that did such for Nigeria instead it is China, USA or Uk often

Tell me something. When an American invents something, do you hear of the US govt getting involved?

They don't. It is the private sector that takes it up. Groups like the Ford Foundation, Trustees of Columbia University, Melinda and Bill Gates Foundation, etc that pick up the tabs and move the project forward. The Nigerian govt does not build factories. Nor does it have the expertise to evaluate and promote viable innovations.

What we need in Nigeria is for the likes of Dangote, Iwuanyanwu, Arthur Nzeribe, Otedola, and other zillionaires to form venture capitalist foundations that actively seek out, capitalize upon, and vigorously develop and promote Nigerian inventions.

Believe you me, if they do that, Nigeria will be recognized globally as a nation of inventors, within 5 years or less.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Reuters: Buhari And His Aides Have Restrained Osinbajo / Wasteful Nigerians And Their Insatiable Appetite For Electricity. / Suspense As Buhari Set To Dump Osinbajo For New Running Mate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.