Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,308 members, 7,819,049 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:33 AM

Please Help! Abs Light Stays On After Changing Shocks. - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Please Help! Abs Light Stays On After Changing Shocks. (5503 Views)

Noise Issue After Changing Shocks / Brand New Stabilizer Linkages for Toyota / My Abs Light Is Always On (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help! Abs Light Stays On After Changing Shocks. by symbianDON(m): 5:35pm On Feb 04, 2010
hi guys. please can anyone advise on what to do? i drive a 99 camry which i have owned for two years. i have never had any major issues. however, last week i changed the rear shock absorber on the driver's side. i was there all the while the work was carried out and i supervised it so i am sure there was minimal tampering with other parts. when the work was completed, i discovered to my dismay that the ABS light stayed on. tried as much as we could, it didnt go off: we inspected for loose wires, checked the fuse etc to no avail. i am now confused.
Re: Please Help! Abs Light Stays On After Changing Shocks. by ambyzown(m): 7:49pm On Feb 04, 2010
Did u change the absorber complete with the hub? if yes, replace hub with your old hub. Check the sensor on the front driving shafts for grease or other debris that could be causing failure. You may also try removing battery terminals for 60 secs and then replacing them. Good luck.
Re: Please Help! Abs Light Stays On After Changing Shocks. by gabrieli(m): 4:07pm On Feb 05, 2010
@symbiadon.
It seems we are in a similar situation, i had my 99 camry raised because the car chest normally brush the culvert to my house anytime i drive through, the raising involves removing the absorbers and packing the base of the spring with rubber cut from tyres. Immediately this was completed, my ABS light came on, and i checked to be sure that non of the abs cable was damage. i removed battery terminal for 2hrs, no result
PLEASE, Nlanders who had gone through similar situation should help us out.
Re: Please Help! Abs Light Stays On After Changing Shocks. by gabrieli(m): 2:33pm On Feb 07, 2010
angry
Re: Please Help! Abs Light Stays On After Changing Shocks. by kablooee: 4:32pm On Feb 07, 2010
if all the cables are intact, then you might have a bad ABS sensor. run a diagnostic to confirm that.
Re: Please Help! Abs Light Stays On After Changing Shocks. by seal777(m): 10:09am On Feb 08, 2010
Same applies to my CAMRY 99 V6, the abs light stays on but on close watch and advice, i saw a sensor line i was told is meant to notify user when break pad is down detached from the hub.

My mechanic told me its the cause of the abs light been up.

I have been using it like that since the break system works fine till i am ready to get those things fixed.
Re: Please Help! Abs Light Stays On After Changing Shocks. by pummps: 11:17am On Feb 08, 2010
symbianDON:

hi guys. please can anyone advise on what to do? i drive a 99 camry which i have owned for two years. i have never had any major issues. however, last week i changed the rear shock absorber on the driver's side. i was there all the while the work was carried out and i supervised it so i am sure there was minimal tampering with other parts. when the work was completed, i discovered to my dismay that the ABS light stayed on. tried as much as we could, it didnt go off: we inspected for loose wires, checked the fuse etc to no avail. i am now confused.

I believe the mechanic did not replace the ABS sensor appropriately hence the reason why the light has remained on. However, it can be fixed by carefully fixing the sensor once again. I have experienced it before with my Accord and had it fixed the same way. It should also be noted that such parts could have been worn out due to usage and as such it is only when it has been tampered with that it refuses to work again. For the Accord, its a ringlike object fitted on the shaft hub and its very cheap and affordable.
Re: Please Help! Abs Light Stays On After Changing Shocks. by seal777(m): 11:24am On Feb 08, 2010
@pummps.

YOU RE VERY CORRECT, I SAW IT WITH MY KOROKORO EYES. shocked
Re: Please Help! Abs Light Stays On After Changing Shocks. by gabrieli(m): 2:08pm On Feb 08, 2010
Thanks you guys for all your contributions to this issue, i will try all options stated here and definitely get back when i get result (for the sake of those with similar prob and that are following this trend)

(1) (Reply)

Tokumbo 2008 & 2006 Ford Explorer For Sale / Registered Toyota Camry 2002 Model For Sale / 2006 Lexus Gs300 (very Fresh - for N3.5m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.