Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,349 members, 7,957,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 02:39 AM

Why Did We Suspend The First Republic Constitution That Once Made Us Nigerians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Did We Suspend The First Republic Constitution That Once Made Us Nigerians (585 Views)

Part Of The Constitution That Makes Hope Uzodinma Wins At Supreme Court / Does The President Have The Constitutional Power To Suspend The Chief Justice? / Suspend The Handover To Egbetokun New IG Orders Omohimi Edgal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did We Suspend The First Republic Constitution That Once Made Us Nigerians by Built2last: 6:43pm On Jul 18, 2017
Nigeria's founding fathers negotiated a Constitution for us, at Independence, which later became the First Republic Constitution.

The Constitution took care of all issues we are agitating for today.

In that Constitution was Fiscal Federalism and Resources Control by the Regional Governments.

The cost of Governance was not as high under that Parliamentary leadership and system of government.

A Presidential Candidate did not need to campaign all over the wards of Nigeria, to be voted for.

Everything was in order, before the Military came to attack us and suspended the Constitution that made us Nigerians.

We walked into the valley of darkness and despair, hoping for a way out. The Military continued to live on our inheritance, until they had to give us what they thought should be the basis of our existence as a nation, they gave us the 1979 Constitution to further deride the ancient landmarks of our founding fathers.

Turn by turn they came at will, until they finally gave us the 1999 Constitution, which has misled us till today.

The nostalgic emotions of our people for identity has led to the agitations from the peoples of Western Nigeria for Restructuring, while the peoples from Southern Nigeria agitate for Resource Control, in addition to sectional agitation for Secession by the peoples the Eastern Nigeria and the Niger Delta.

Even the North East is asking for her identity, after the North Central State served their Quit Notices and threatened various degrees of state of emergencies.

Even the North West is not left out.

The solution therefore is not in separation, but is in lifting the suspension of our First Republican constitutional order, so that Nigeria Can Be Greater again.

That is my definition of Restructuring Nigeria.

#Restructure Nigeria for better empowerment of the individual Nigerian Nations. Help put food on everyone's table.
Re: Why Did We Suspend The First Republic Constitution That Once Made Us Nigerians by sarrki(m): 6:44pm On Jul 18, 2017
Nnamdi azikwe and aguiyi ironsi did
Re: Why Did We Suspend The First Republic Constitution That Once Made Us Nigerians by vcente(m): 6:46pm On Jul 18, 2017
See sarki and his bigotry,as far as I am concerned things cannot continue to be as they were.if you like blame lord lugard.

Re: Why Did We Suspend The First Republic Constitution That Once Made Us Nigerians by Built2last: 6:47pm On Jul 18, 2017
sarrki:
Nnamdi azikwe and aguiyi ironsi did

Please substantiate this with proofs
Re: Why Did We Suspend The First Republic Constitution That Once Made Us Nigerians by sarrki(m): 6:49pm On Jul 18, 2017
vcente:
See sarki and his bigotry,as far as I am concerned things cannot continue to be as they were.if you like blame lord lugard.

No sire its not bigotry

This are my facts

In 1963, Zik and Ndigbo described True Federalism as a "Divide and Rule" system of Governance. They preferred Unitary System. They where later obliged by their kinsman, Aguiyi Ironsi, via his obnoxious decree 34...
Today, Ndigbo wants "True Federalism ". They are now saying, Unitary System is a "Divide and Rule" system of Governance, yet again...
Mbok, I'm not saying, a particular set of guys are a confused lot o. They only have the habit of bringing down the house, when things don't work in their favour....
Re: Why Did We Suspend The First Republic Constitution That Once Made Us Nigerians by vcente(m): 6:52pm On Jul 18, 2017
sarrki:

No sire its not bigotry

This are my facts

In 1963, Zik and Ndigbo described True Federalism as a "Divide and Rule" system of Governance. They preferred Unitary System. They where later obliged by their kinsman, Aguiyi Ironsi, via his obnoxious decree 34...
Today, Ndigbo wants "True Federalism ". They are now saying, Unitary System is a "Divide and Rule" system of Governance, yet again...
Mbok, I'm not saying, a particular set of guys are a confused lot o. They only have the habit of bringing down the house, when things don't work in their favour....
you are still playing the blame game.like an apc xombie

Re: Why Did We Suspend The First Republic Constitution That Once Made Us Nigerians by sarrki(m): 6:57pm On Jul 18, 2017
vcente:
you are still playing the blame game.like an apc xombie

Op asked for why did we suspend the first constitution

I just laid the facts

Dispute it bro
Re: Why Did We Suspend The First Republic Constitution That Once Made Us Nigerians by vcente(m): 7:02pm On Jul 18, 2017
He might as well have asked why lord lugard Amalgamated Nigeria

Re: Why Did We Suspend The First Republic Constitution That Once Made Us Nigerians by Built2last: 7:09pm On Jul 18, 2017
sarrki:

Op asked for why did we suspend the first constitution

I just laid the facts

Dispute it bro

I have carefully read what you wrote and cannot see the fact in it. Should swallow what you said simply because it's a narrative you chose to believe.

This is the age of logic and reasoning. You can do better.
Re: Why Did We Suspend The First Republic Constitution That Once Made Us Nigerians by ChimaAdeoye: 7:16pm On Jul 18, 2017
Fulanis insisted on that constitution as a condition to be united with southerners in ine country. It guaranteed their right to govern themselves and manage their resources without domination of the FG.

As soon as they now dominated the FG they threw out the constitution and replaced it with a unitary constitution we use today which put every imaginable powers in the hands of the FG. So they can dominate other nationalities in the Nigeria project hiding behind the massive powers allocated to the FG.

1 Like

Re: Why Did We Suspend The First Republic Constitution That Once Made Us Nigerians by Cjrane2: 7:18pm On Jul 18, 2017
ChimaAdeoye:
Fulanis insisted on that constitution as a condition to be united with southerners in ine country. It guaranteed their right to govern themselves and manage their resources without domination of the FG.

As soon as they now dominated the FG they threw out the constitution and replaced it with a unitary constitution we use today which put every imaginable powers in the hands of the FG. So they can dominate other nationalities in the Nigeria project hiding behind the massive powers allocated to the FG.

GBAM!

The same thing they fought against that nobody should dominate their lives using the FG and other Nigerians fairly obliged, it's exactly what they are doing to the entire country and refusing to stop.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Govt. To Invest N2.5 Billion In Dfis For Small Scale Miners / Lagos LG Elections: Electoral Materials Hijacked In Odi-olowo LCDA / Kabba/bunu House Of Assembly Race: I’m The Candidate To Beat –Gabriel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.