Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,766 members, 7,820,674 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:15 PM

Okocha Speaks For Super Eagles Fans - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Okocha Speaks For Super Eagles Fans (617 Views)

Vincent Enyeama's Wife Speaks Up On His Retirement From Super Eagles / Jay-jay Okocha Returns To Football With English Club / Ross Berkley Of Everton Could Play For Super Eagles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okocha Speaks For Super Eagles Fans by smile4kenn(m): 10:30pm On Feb 04, 2010
"The last two weeks have been the most traumatic of my entire life in football. While I have always appreciated the immense passion Nigerians have for football and for our national teams when they are playing, the first lesson I learnt at the beginning of this last Nations Cup finals in Angola was that, as players, we are often the ones at the heart of the games.

“We clearly will never have enough understanding of how badly our performances on the field affect millions of our countrymen and women, especially when we don't play well," Okocha said on Wednesday.

"This last championship, being the very first time in 18 years of my career that I will not be part of the team as a player, afforded me the opportunity of knowing how critically important this game is to our collective growth and unity as a nation. For this reason, I have, along with a few former Eagles stars, decided that it is time we got more involved in seeking solutions to the problems facing our football development.

"Our recent experience has shown that those of us who have played the game at the highest levels for clubs and country must desist from just sitting on the sidelines and leaving the running of the sport to career civil servants and politicians," he added.

In declaring his candidacy, the former Enugu Rangers star said his vision was one of change.

"I have, on behalf of other concerned former national team players, decided to come out today and join my voice with those of millions of Nigerians in and out of the country, to affirm and spread the message that "Enough is Enough" of the maladministration and rot in Nigerian football; and that without any gainsaying: 'The time for change is now'.

"Ex-international players must be encouraged to take up the reins of leadership in our football and inject their knowledge of how the game is administered in Europe and the advanced world into our game as well as other vital sectors of our national life like oil, security, politics, banking, medicine, law, among others.

"From now onward, we must put our best legs forward both on and off the pitch and return Nigeria to her front position in African football. Time for that change is now," he said.

KickOff Nigeria
Re: Okocha Speaks For Super Eagles Fans by semid4lyfe(m): 11:35pm On Feb 04, 2010
Okocha should STFU jare. He does not have the moral justification to criticize NFF and the Super Eagles. . . . .A F.O.O.L that was selecting matches to play for the Super Eagles as captain and was busy missing his way in London. . .M.U.M.U.
Still waiting for him to explain why as captain he only showed up for 4 of our 2006 World cup qualifying matches. Shioor!
Re: Okocha Speaks For Super Eagles Fans by snowdrops(m): 1:02am On Feb 05, 2010
On the contrary i think he is very brave taking on the establishment.
We need a revolution in Nigerian football and if Okocha is the person to kick start it, so be it.

Evil thrives when good men fail to do good.
Re: Okocha Speaks For Super Eagles Fans by semid4lyfe(m): 9:48am On Feb 05, 2010
So Okocha is now one of the good men? LWKMD! He should continue doing his adverts and reality shows and keep quiet jare.
Re: Okocha Speaks For Super Eagles Fans by chidyke77(m): 1:02pm On Feb 05, 2010
Anyone critisizing Okocha is a F.O.O.L himself for calling hm that.
Re: Okocha Speaks For Super Eagles Fans by deb(m): 1:27pm On Feb 05, 2010
Okocha should STFU jare. He does not have the moral justification to criticize NFF and the Super Eagles. . . . .A F.O.O.L that was selecting matches to play for the Super Eagles as captain and was busy missing his way in London. . .M.U.M.U.
Still waiting for him to explain why as captain he only showed up for 4 of our 2006 World cup qualifying matches. Shioor!

People like you are those who want change and yet they don't really want it.

I wish Okocha the best because he has decided to act instead of just sitting down and complaining about the rot in our football.
After all, is an ex-footballer, no matter his short-comings as a footballer, not better than one useless Civil servant looking for what to eat
to be in charge of running our football?

Some brains need to be taking for surgical operations in our country.
Re: Okocha Speaks For Super Eagles Fans by Kx: 1:37pm On Feb 05, 2010
Recall Odebgami was an ex-player
Ogunjobi the current sec of nff was an ex- player.
Amokachi that assisted amodu is an ex player.

You cant change the fortunes of our football by just becoming the VP.
Okocha may do better by starting with the marketing aspect of the FA job.Okocha
is a brand,help the fa with such known marketable brand.
Re: Okocha Speaks For Super Eagles Fans by snowdrops(m): 3:18pm On Feb 05, 2010
Kx:

Recall Odebgami was an ex-player
Ogunjobi the current sec of nff was an ex- player.
Amokachi that assisted amodu is an ex player.

You cant change the fortunes of our football by just becoming the VP.
Okocha may do better by starting with the marketing aspect of the FA job.Okocha
is a brand,help the fa with such known marketable brand.

The last time i checked there were more than a thousand people working in the NFA and NFF.
The fact that the pace of change is slow does not mean we should abandone ship and allow the wolves in.
We should rather press for more credible and qualified candidates like JJ to man the posts.

(1) (Reply)

Your 2010 World Cup Picks / Dangote Buys Into Arsenal? / Kaita Deserved Red Card Says Yakubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.