Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,895 members, 7,817,629 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:54 PM

Lagos City Hall Is Back. I Tought Some Ignoramus Say Na Only Tiles Den Lay: - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos City Hall Is Back. I Tought Some Ignoramus Say Na Only Tiles Den Lay: (1916 Views)

Fani Kayode Reveals Wife Regina Hall Is His Newborn Son's Godmother / Biafra like Flag Flying At City Hall Boston USA - Biafra Is A Global Movement / I Saw Hell In Boko Haram's Den, Mechanic Declares . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos City Hall Is Back. I Tought Some Ignoramus Say Na Only Tiles Den Lay: by babapupa: 11:50pm On Feb 04, 2010
Re: Lagos City Hall Is Back. I Tought Some Ignoramus Say Na Only Tiles Den Lay: by blacksta(m): 12:14am On Feb 05, 2010
what happens inside this hall - is it a shopping mall
Re: Lagos City Hall Is Back. I Tought Some Ignoramus Say Na Only Tiles Den Lay: by babapupa: 12:38am On Feb 05, 2010
blacksta:

what happens inside this hall - is it a shopping mall

where city council officials deliberate, also a civic center with reception halls for public, state and council functions.

It was built in 1965 for 1.5 mullion British pounds.
Re: Lagos City Hall Is Back. I Tought Some Ignoramus Say Na Only Tiles Den Lay: by Pifa: 7:09pm On Feb 06, 2010
It's a damning indictment of the state of security in Lagos when every home, business, structure or facility must be fenced off like a prison in order to keep out miscreants. There was a time, when I was still quite young, we would walk from school and sit around the open plaza in front of city hall waiting for our parents to end work and take us home. It's commendable that the state has renovated the building, but I see despair when I look at pictures of Lagos with security fence surrounding every building. Public parks are fenced off. Shopping malls are fenced off. Even the police stations are walled off like prisons.

I see photographs of the state secretariat in Ikeja and how government has partitioned itself from the citizens for fear of armed robbers. I've been to many communities in the US and Europe and I have yet to see a seat of government that had a fence around it. The idea of a walled-off seat of government will be anathema to the American psyche. It does nothing but isolate government from the governed, symbolically.

Unfortunately, the walled fence has become regimented into the Nigerian psyche. There is nothing to celebrate here!
Re: Lagos City Hall Is Back. I Tought Some Ignoramus Say Na Only Tiles Den Lay: by babapupa: 9:09pm On Feb 06, 2010
You are right, but we have different life experiences and way of life, We will get it together one day.
Re: Lagos City Hall Is Back. I Tought Some Ignoramus Say Na Only Tiles Den Lay: by Gekko(m): 9:15pm On Feb 06, 2010
Pifa:

It's a damning indictment of the state of security in Lagos when every home, business, structure or facility must be fenced off like a prison in order to keep out miscreants. There was a time, when I was still quite young, we would walk from school and sit around the open plaza in front of city hall waiting for our parents to end work and take us home. It's commendable that the state has renovated the building, but I see despair when I look at pictures of Lagos with security fence surrounding every building. Public parks are fenced off. Shopping malls are fenced off. Even the police stations are walled off like prisons.

I see photographs of the state secretariat in Ikeja and how government has partitioned itself from the citizens for fear of armed robbers. I've been to many communities in the US and Europe and I have yet to see a seat of government that had a fence around it. The idea of a walled-off seat of government will be anathema to the American psyche. It does nothing but isolate government from the governed, symbolically.

Unfortunately, the walled fence has become regimented into the Nigerian psyche. There is nothing to celebrate here!

Good point. It wasn't long ago Lagos govt. demanded the removal of street gates. They should serve as a role model and eradicate gates from state properties.

(1) (Reply)

I Just Must Vote Him / Governor Akpabio Has Completed Plans To Assassinate Aniekan Akpan---chairman Of / Magistrate Kidnapped In Delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.