Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,478 members, 7,816,125 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:57 AM

U.s Senate Accuses Atiku & American Wife Of $40m Illegal Transfer - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / U.s Senate Accuses Atiku & American Wife Of $40m Illegal Transfer (863 Views)

Akinyemi Agbede Running For U.S. Senate / Senate Seeks Probe Of $40m Loan To Aviation Industry / Obiano Performs Groundbreaking For $40m Automotive Assembly Plant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

U.s Senate Accuses Atiku & American Wife Of $40m Illegal Transfer by nethacker(m): 8:35am On Feb 05, 2010
WASHINGTON DC —A REPORT on former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar was presented to the United State’s Senate yesterday.

The US Senate report which showed how funds were transferred on behalf of the former number two citizen showed that: “From 2000 to 2008, Jennifer Douglas, a U.S. citizen and the fourth wife of Atiku Abubakar, former Vice President and former candidate for President of Nigeria, helped her husband bring over $40 million in suspect funds into the United States, through wire transfers sent by offshore corporations to U.S. bank accounts.”

The report said: “In a 2008 civil complaint, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, alleged that Ms. Douglas received over $2 million in bribe payments in 2001 and 2002, from Siemens AG, a major German corporation.

“While Ms. Douglas denies wrongdoing, Siemens has already pleaded guilty to U.S. criminal charges and settled civil charges related to bribery and told the Subcommittee that it sent the payments to one of her U.S. accounts.

In 2007, Atiku Abubakar was the subject of corruption allegations in Nigeria related to the Petroleum Technology Development Fund.

“Of the $40 million in suspect funds, $25 million was wire transferred by offshore corporations into more than 30 U.S. bank accounts opened by Ms. Douglas, primarily by Guernsey Trust Company Nigeria Ltd., LetsGo Ltd. Inc., and Sima Holding Ltd.

“The U.S. banks maintaining those accounts were, at times, unaware of her PEP status, and they allowed multiple, large offshore wire transfers into her accounts. As each bank began to question the offshore wire transfers, Ms. Douglas indicated that all of the funds came from her husband and professed little familiarity with the offshore corporations actually sending her money. When one bank closed her account due to the offshore wire transfers, her lawyer helped convince other banks to provide a new account.

“In addition, two of the offshore corporations wire transferred about $14 million over five years to American University in Washington, D.C., to pay for consulting services related to the development of a Nigerian university founded by Abubakar.

“American University accepted the wire transfers without asking about the identity of the offshore corporations or the source of their funds, because under current law, the University had no legal obligation to inquire.

and me dey here dey read like person wey wan mad cos i wan qualify for tuition waiver and scholarship for my sch angry angry Oh LAWD hv MERCY!!!!!! angry
Re: U.s Senate Accuses Atiku & American Wife Of $40m Illegal Transfer by adconline(m): 9:43am On Feb 05, 2010
naija na play
Re: U.s Senate Accuses Atiku & American Wife Of $40m Illegal Transfer by neily(f): 9:57am On Feb 05, 2010
This is one of his numerous acts. More ll be revealed. May God help us in Naija!
Re: U.s Senate Accuses Atiku & American Wife Of $40m Illegal Transfer by ochukoccna: 10:23am On Feb 05, 2010
That one no be news. angry angry
We always knew that the buster was a crook. grin grin
Question is, when will he be brought to justice?
Re: U.s Senate Accuses Atiku & American Wife Of $40m Illegal Transfer by oge4real(f): 12:12pm On Feb 05, 2010
Imagine the embarrassment. Being presented all the way before US senate. Yet Nigerians want to be regarded seriously by the developed world. embarassed embarassed
Re: U.s Senate Accuses Atiku & American Wife Of $40m Illegal Transfer by otawa: 2:25pm On Feb 05, 2010
Goodluck's wife, was caught by EFCC with $2million at Lagos Airport in 2007.

The same Goodluck became VP and his now acting President.

Mr Obasanjo stolen $10billion and walks free in NIGERIA.

Nothing happened? Nigeria is ruled by crook!
Re: U.s Senate Accuses Atiku & American Wife Of $40m Illegal Transfer by Fhemmmy: 2:59pm On Feb 05, 2010
And what would happen, now that they have uncovered it all ?
Nothing, cos the judge that ought to prosecute is probably in the deal.
I beg, next story jare . . . .one day, monkey go go market and wont return.
Re: U.s Senate Accuses Atiku & American Wife Of $40m Illegal Transfer by rafcrown(m): 4:51pm On Feb 05, 2010
WE ARE BEIGN GOVERNED BY BARAOS,POWERFUL ARMED AND PEN ROBBERS
CRIMINALS ACTING AS STATES MEN
GIANT OF AFRICA IS BEING TURNED TO DWARF OF THE WORLD

ATIKU,OBASANJO,BABANGIDA,MARWA,SERVING GOVERNORS,EX GOVERNORS,EX MINISTRERS,SERVING MINISTERS,TINUBU,FCT MINISTERS,EX INSPECTOR GENERALS OF POLICE,TOP CIVIL SERVANTS,TOP NNPC OFFICIALS,INEC BIG GUNS,STATE COMMISSIONERS,LOCAL GOVERNMENT CHAIRMEN,BANKERS.IBORI,ALAM.FOREIGN TRIPS,FOREIGN EMBASSIES,
£$m
ARE you good in Mathematics and Statistics eg $43m+£30m+
Then interpret their loots into figures EG ATIKU+=+switzerland+UK+£_EFFCC RECOVERED+EURO- SEIZED ONES+forgotten codes$£N£££$$$+USA+

RESULTS -UNEMPLOYMENT,BAD ROADS,POOR COUNTRY BUT RICH INDIVIDUALS,PROSTITUTION,POOR HEALTH,POLITICAL KILLINGS ETC.
WHERE IS NIGERIAN RAWLINGS ? POLITICS IS SWEET OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Re: U.s Senate Accuses Atiku & American Wife Of $40m Illegal Transfer by becomricch: 5:16pm On Feb 05, 2010
former vice president Atiku brother was my boss. I saw him in nigeria the last time i was there.

He did not transfer no money to me sha.  So, dont start looking for money from me. I got zero dollar from anybody. I have never collected  $0 from anyone.

People do make alot of money in nigeria, legally and illegal. That why many white dont want to return back home. They get thier away with alot of things too,like the nigerian.  people dont pay tax,

And they use cash mostly, this is where the problem. You can not transfer million like that over here like they do in nigeria. i remember a nigerian who came with $50,000 to relocate to canada. The immigration officer ask him, if he had $50,000 why are you coming here. It is more easy to make money in nigeria than over here. So people seen million is rear over here, but in nigeria. it is not.

while living in nigeria. I use to carry millions and go and drop for one of the company in the banks. And when you get to the bank. everybody is carrying large sum of money in millions. many traders make sale of million per days and carry it cash to the bank. that is why arm robbers rob the banks.

Nigeria is a cash country.

Most nigerian abroad that return home end up millionaires.   many nigerian do make more than 1 million dollar a month from business. And they do not know how to transfer money easly to thier business partner abroad. naive about the west banking system. not all fund from nigeria are illegal. it is just been naive by nigerian businessmen.  they all want to buy a house abroad. How easy that is, sometime make them go through illegal method.
Re: U.s Senate Accuses Atiku & American Wife Of $40m Illegal Transfer by rafcrown(m): 2:51pm On Feb 06, 2010
@becommricch

We know people can become rich by doing genuine international business,or lucrative local businesses-Petroleum,Gold Mining,etc
What we would like you to explain to honest ,down- trodden Nigerians are
If you evaluate the wealth of Nigerian leaders after few months in office do they really tally with their total incomes
When they leave office where do they get the money for next elective posts?eg,Soludo for Governor Obasanjo for President, 2nd terms govs.
How much do you think a military officer ,custom officer should worth after serving Nigeria for 30 years and earning eg 10m naira per annum?
Can you tell Nigerians the legitimate businesses of our politicians.They pass budgets and form personal companies to benefit,inflated contracts etc
Lastly,i wish to submit that Nigeria would have been a Paradise if we have been blessed with HONEST LEADERS NOT (BARAO BANSAS )
Nigeria can only be a great nation if we start banning these corrupt greedy people from coming near corridors of power
Re: U.s Senate Accuses Atiku & American Wife Of $40m Illegal Transfer by monkeyleg: 3:13pm On Feb 06, 2010
@rafcrown, and yet thye found Ibori not guilty. Someone whos father was an ambulance driver, and he was a checkout boy @ B&Q in the UK. Yet he is probably the richest man in Nigeria as we speak, after serving 2 terms, and yet the court found nothing wrong with him.
Re: U.s Senate Accuses Atiku & American Wife Of $40m Illegal Transfer by antartica(m): 5:04pm On Feb 06, 2010
A friend of mine that use work in nodstrom supershop in washington once told me that atiku's wife and her housemaid came to the shop one day in the year 1999 and spent about ten thousand dollars in cash buying few clothes and other items at one go,they only got know who she was because they were shocked seeing a black african woman spending that amount of money with ease,so they inquired.

Atiku is a bloody thief just like rest of nigerian dumb ruling elites.
Re: U.s Senate Accuses Atiku & American Wife Of $40m Illegal Transfer by nethacker(m): 6:11pm On Feb 06, 2010
monkeyleg:

@rafcrown, and yet thye found Ibori not guilty. Someone whos father was an ambulance driver, and he was a checkout boy @ B&Q in the UK. Yet he is probably the richest man in Nigeria as we speak, after serving 2 terms, and yet the court found nothing wrong with him.

exactly, i am still puzzled but not surprised by his discharge shocked shocked

(1) (Reply)

Tinubu's Former Aide Assasinated / Yar'adua: Sorry For The Muslim North / Indigenous Contractors Have Failed Me – Amaechi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.