Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,422 members, 7,815,956 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:08 PM

Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners (8887 Views)

Peter Obi Hails The Appointment Of Ibrahim Gambari As Chief Of Staff / Senate Confirms Buhari’s 43 Ministerial Nominees (Full List) / How Amina Zakari Deceived INEC Commissioners To Postpone Polls – CUPP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners by zidonjohn: 6:13pm On Jul 20, 2017
The Nigerian Senate confirmed the appointment of eight of the 12 remaining Resident Electoral Commissioners (RECs) of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Thursday, July 20, 2017.

The Senate Committee on INEC had presented its reports on the nominees at plenary on Wednesday.

The commissioners that were confirmed at plenary on Thursday are:

Asmau Sani Maikudi (Katsina),

Sam Olugbadebo Olumekun (Ondo),

Mahmuda Isah (Kebbi),

Riskuwa Shehu (Sokoto),

Kasim Gana Geidam (Yobe),

Jibrin Ibrahim Zarewa (Kano),

Abdulganiyu Olayinka Raji (Oyo)

Samuel Egwu (Kogi).

The nomination of Professor Mustapha Zubairu (Niger) was rejected due to being from the same senatorial district as the National Commissioner of INEC, Mohammed Haruna.

The nominations of Mahmuda Isah (Kebbi) and Ahmad Bello Mahmud (Zamfara) were also suspended for "further legislative considerations."

The Chairman of the committee, Suleiman Nazif, explained that they were still making consultations on the two.

The confirmation of Ambassador Rufus Oloruntoyin Akeju(Lagos) was suspended after an objection was raised by the Deputy Minority Whip, Senator Abiodun Olujimi (PDP, Ekiti) who presented a court ruling against him.

Senate President Bukola Saraki referred the case to the committee to investigate and report back to the Senate.

http://absolutegist.com/the-nigerian-senate-confirms-the-appointment-of-eight-commissioners/

Re: Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners by jakeFrost: 6:14pm On Jul 20, 2017
Appointment of more thieves

1 Like

Re: Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jul 20, 2017
God bless Saraki

1 Like

Re: Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners by greatiyk4u(m): 6:19pm On Jul 20, 2017
Reinforcing for 2019 political tournament

It is gonna be the most free and fair election Nigeria will ever witness in this contemporary period

4 Likes

Re: Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners by Flexherbal(m): 10:21pm On Jul 20, 2017
Congratulations to them.
May they serve the people well!
Re: Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners by Newbiee: 10:22pm On Jul 20, 2017
Swallow vomit

2 Likes

Re: Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners by kingPhidel(m): 10:22pm On Jul 20, 2017
Youdonminit!

1 Like

Re: Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners by austinoeze(m): 10:22pm On Jul 20, 2017
Wow
Re: Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners by seXytOhbAd(m): 10:24pm On Jul 20, 2017
Very biased nomination. No South easterner, no south south? Though I am not from the said regions, the very idea of equality or even federal character in Nigeria is obviously lacking. Shame on our fake Senate!
Re: Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jul 20, 2017
grin shocked grin

Wonderful!

But, the senate will never confirm Magu!

That his name sounds like one of those deities in Osun state!
Re: Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners by iamwoods(m): 10:26pm On Jul 20, 2017
Buhari
Re: Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners by Nobody: 10:26pm On Jul 20, 2017
Wetin concern me
Re: Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners by sexaddict08(m): 10:27pm On Jul 20, 2017
nawah ooo.... this people are vexing me ooo, cant dey even use style put one ibo man there?
Re: Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners by centoke30(m): 10:27pm On Jul 20, 2017
Busy selecting the people that will help them in 2019 and disqualifying those that seems like rebels...
Re: Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners by bakila: 10:27pm On Jul 20, 2017
seXytOhbAd:
Very biased nomination. No South easterner, no south south? Though I am not from the said regions, the very idea of equality or even federal character in Nigeria is obviously lacking. Shame on our fake Senate!
SS SE no get Senators for their?

2 Likes

Re: Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners by auntysimbiat(f): 10:31pm On Jul 20, 2017
MAKE SENSE
Re: Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners by hardywaltz(m): 10:31pm On Jul 20, 2017
I tot Senate said they will not screen and confirm any name sent to them from the executives till Magu is sacked.
Useless Senate

2 Likes

Re: Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners by naija4jump: 10:35pm On Jul 20, 2017
the senate has no power to confirm inec commissioner

Abdulganiyu Olayinka Raji (Oyo) is not from oyo
Re: Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners by dokiOloye(m): 10:42pm On Jul 20, 2017
97% vs 5% playing out again.
Re: Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners by Nobody: 11:29pm On Jul 20, 2017
Senate passed a resolution saying all nominees not explicitly listed on sections 171 and 153 will not be considered on the floor of the senate

INEC and its commissioners are listed in section 153

Saraki has made it clear that this is not a U-turn
Re: Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners by BLEENKY1(m): 11:36pm On Jul 20, 2017
Good for them...
Meanwhile I've seen the name of my former V.C. UDUSOK, Riskuwa Arabu Shehu from Sokoto
Re: Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners by koko12(m): 11:38pm On Jul 20, 2017
hmmmmmm Weldone Senate
Re: Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners by bashydemy(m): 12:32am On Jul 21, 2017
seXytOhbAd:

LOL so what about those from those regions that are already occupying the post? Some people can only think of tribal and hatred..

3 Likes

Re: Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners by prosnadis(m): 4:23am On Jul 21, 2017
sexaddict08:
nawah ooo.... this people are vexing me ooo, cant dey even use style put one ibo man there?
They are resident electoral commissioners. People are nominated mainly for their state origin. 18 people were confirmed last time and all south eastern states have RECs.
Re: Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners by gretblue: 6:16am On Jul 21, 2017
seXytOhbAd:
Most times and some times I begin to wonder the level of awareness of our so call youths/ leaders of tomorrow. You simply do not know every state has 1 INEC commissioner. Why other states early have produced their commissioners and cleared by senate, others mentioned in the thread just got their states INEC cleared.

1 Like

Re: Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners by NtoAkwaIbom(m): 8:21am On Jul 21, 2017
What are our Senators doing there in the house ?
No South South Folks are there and they are keeping mummm about it.
tunda fire Una for there.
Osibanjo, you dong dey fuk up, no do make I vex for ur head oo.
Re: Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners by Laid2001: 10:25am On Jul 21, 2017
COMMON SENSE IS NOT COMMON AT ALL

All states have one INEC commissioners each. The senate are confirming them in batches and the majority of SS and SE have had their commissioners confirmed already.

NtoAkwaIbom:
What are our Senators doing there in the house ?
No South South Folks are there and they are keeping mummm about it.
tunda fire Una for there.
Osibanjo, you dong dey fuk up, no do make I vex for ur head oo.
Re: Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners by NtoAkwaIbom(m): 10:33am On Jul 21, 2017
Laid2001:
COMMON SENSE IS NOT COMMON AT ALL

All states have one INEC commissioners each. The senate are confirming them in batches and the majority of SS and SE have had their commissioners confirmed already.

Do you honestly know what that is termed "COMMON SENSE "
that each state has 1 commissioner each is not a general knowledge...
it's like me knowing the number of judges in the supreme Court and a quorum needed to pass judgement.

you won't say dat a common man on the street has no common sense because he does not know what I know...
it's because that piece of fact is not common and discernable by mere logic.. it is only discernable by reading the documents containing that piece of information.

common sense is you knowing that it's cloudy hence it will rain.
Re: Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners by donqx: 11:25am On Jul 21, 2017
oh
Re: Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners by sexaddict08(m): 5:06pm On Jul 21, 2017
prosnadis:
They are resident electoral commissioners. People are nominated mainly for their state origin. 18 people were confirmed last time and all south eastern states have RECs.

ok...they already have...thanks.
But, it still look somehow sha

(1) (Reply)

DSS Attacks Journalist In Osun Assembly / Epileptic Power Supply: Nigeria To Partner Egypt On Electricity Generation / Tinubu: We Will Build A Stronger, More Prosperous Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.