Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,506 members, 7,823,187 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:10 AM

The First Book In Igbo Language Was Written By A Yoruba Man - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The First Book In Igbo Language Was Written By A Yoruba Man (3154 Views)

Igbo Language School In South Africa Inaugurated / You Belong To Indomie Generation If You Didn't Read This As A Yoruba Student / Application Letter Written By A Female Graduate Of Federal Poly Nekede (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The First Book In Igbo Language Was Written By A Yoruba Man by saydfact(m): 6:42am On Jul 21, 2017
The first book in Igbo language (Isoama-Ibo: A Primer) was written by a Yoruba man, the first African Bishop, Samuel Ajayi Crowther (1809 — 1891) in 1857. The book had 17 pages, with the Igbo alphabets, words, phrases, sentence patterns, the Lord's Prayer, the Ten Commandments and translations of the first chapters of Matthew's Gospel.

In 1882, Crowther also wrote the "Vocabulary of the Ibo Language", the first comprehensive dictionary in Igbo.

Crowther, a descendant of King Abiodun, an Alaafin of the Oyo Empire, was the grandfather (through his second daughter, Abigail Crowther) of Herbert Olayinka Macaulay (1864 — 1946), founder of Nigeria's first political party, whose father, Thomas Babington Macaulay (1826 — 1878), founded the first secondary school in Nigeria in 1859. #HistoryVille

Culled: [url]palmchatnow.com[/url]

2 Likes

Re: The First Book In Igbo Language Was Written By A Yoruba Man by Kingdollar28(m): 6:43am On Jul 21, 2017
OP u can't even type "Igbo" correctly and you want me to believe that?

2 Likes

Re: The First Book In Igbo Language Was Written By A Yoruba Man by taylor88(m): 6:45am On Jul 21, 2017
lol
Re: The First Book In Igbo Language Was Written By A Yoruba Man by sleemoon(m): 6:51am On Jul 21, 2017
Na so

3 Likes

Re: The First Book In Igbo Language Was Written By A Yoruba Man by ring7(m): 6:53am On Jul 21, 2017
Op were you there? if no don't copy and paste (Google) Igbo mmama nu.
Re: The First Book In Igbo Language Was Written By A Yoruba Man by saydfact(m): 7:24am On Jul 21, 2017
Kingdollar28:

Kontinue... Instead of you to learn... Oya spell 'igbo' for us...

5 Likes

Re: The First Book In Igbo Language Was Written By A Yoruba Man by olawaletimi(m): 7:35am On Jul 21, 2017
Yet they will speak ill of the Yoruba's as well as attributing loquacious to one of their features.Kwantinu.

1 Like

Re: The First Book In Igbo Language Was Written By A Yoruba Man by oldfoolnigger(m): 7:52am On Jul 21, 2017
Kingdollar28:
I'm an Igbo.

op is very correct!.

History is ur friend.

6 Likes

Re: The First Book In Igbo Language Was Written By A Yoruba Man by JAtoms: 8:53am On Jul 21, 2017
OP, Well done!! But I must tell you that the first Igbo Book is OMENUKO, it was written by PITA NWANAA (A core Igbo Man) in 1933, it has fourteen chapters(14).
The analysis for the chapters are thus;

Chapter One
The start of Omenuko's trading business

Chapter Two
What Omenuko did when he reached home

Chapter Three
The flight of Omenuko and his brothers

Chapter Four
Omenuko's life at Ndi Mgborogwu

Chapter Five
Mgborogwu's will

Chapter Six
The reign of Chief Omenuko in the land of the Mgborogwu people

Chapter Seven
The moving of the residence of Omenuko and his brothers

Chapter Eight
Concerning the people Omenuko sold

Chapter Nine
Omenuko longs to return to his native land

Chapter Ten
The reconciliation of Omenuko and our people

Chapter Eleven
The building of the houses of Omenuko and his brothers

Chapter Twelve
Omenuko's advancement to paramount chief, and the opposition of the other chiefs

Chapter Thirteen
The final conspiracy

Chapter Fourteen
The return of Omenuko and his brothers to our village

Chapter Fifteen
Omenuko's life in our village.

This book was further translated to other languages of which French is inclusive.

Please do not mislead the public with falsified information.

1 Share

Re: The First Book In Igbo Language Was Written By A Yoruba Man by saydfact(m): 9:05am On Jul 21, 2017
JAtoms:
OP, Well done!! But I must tell you that the first Igbo Book is OMENUKO, it was written by PITA NWANAA (A core Igbo Man) in 1933, it has fourteen chapters(14).

Chapter One

Chapter Two

Chapter Three

Chapter Four

Chapter Five
Mgborogwu's will

Chapter Six

Chapter Seven

Chapter Eight

Chapter Nine

Chapter Ten

Chapter Eleven

Chapter Twelve
Omenuko's advancement to paramount chief, and the opposition of the other chiefs

Chapter Thirteen
The final conspiracy

Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fifteen

This book was further translated to other languages of which French is inclusive.

MODIFIED: SEE MY NEXT POST DOWN

Thanks...

1 Like

Re: The First Book In Igbo Language Was Written By A Yoruba Man by saydfact(m): 9:06am On Jul 21, 2017
oldfoolnigger:
I'm an Igbo.

op is very correct!.

History is ur friend.

Thanks for the note... grin

1 Like

Re: The First Book In Igbo Language Was Written By A Yoruba Man by Elkay3: 9:11am On Jul 21, 2017
JAtoms:

Chapter One

Chapter Two

Chapter Three

Chapter Four

Chapter Five
Mgborogwu's will

Chapter Six

Chapter Seven

Chapter Eight

Chapter Nine

Chapter Ten

Chapter Eleven

Chapter Twelve

Chapter Thirteen
The final conspiracy

Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fifteen

1882 to 1983, am I the only one who thinks there's a century difference? +1!
Re: The First Book In Igbo Language Was Written By A Yoruba Man by saydfact(m): 9:12am On Jul 21, 2017
@ JAtoms - OP, Well done!! But I must tell you that the first Igbo Book is OMENUKO, it was written by PITA NWANAA (A core Igbo Man) in 1933, it has fourteen chapters(14).

This was infact THE FIRST NOVEL and not the first book

I think #HISTORYVILLE is write - the first book was
the Lord's Prayer, the Ten Commandments and translations of the first chapters of Matthew's Gospel.
and written by Samuel Ajayi Crowther in 1857

Seun and Lalasticlala can you help out?

Thanks; learning is fun

4 Likes

Re: The First Book In Igbo Language Was Written By A Yoruba Man by saydfact(m): 9:14am On Jul 21, 2017
Elkay3:

1882 to 1983, am I the only one who thinks there's a century difference? +1!

NOW I ALSO SEE THAT - 19th century compared to 20th century novel -

2 Likes

Re: The First Book In Igbo Language Was Written By A Yoruba Man by DOUBLEWAHALA: 10:42am On Jul 21, 2017
so what's the moral lession now? we should fry kanda
Re: The First Book In Igbo Language Was Written By A Yoruba Man by saydfact(m): 10:46am On Jul 21, 2017
DOUBLEWAHALA:
so what's the moral lession now? we should fry kanda

The lesson is simple - IF THERE IS LOVE, LANGUAGE IS NOT A BARRIER

3 Likes

Re: The First Book In Igbo Language Was Written By A Yoruba Man by DOUBLEWAHALA: 10:51am On Jul 21, 2017
saydfact:

The lesson is simple - IF THERE IS LOVE, LANGUAGE IS NOT A BARRIER
LANGUAGE is not our problem our problem is RELIGION
Re: The First Book In Igbo Language Was Written By A Yoruba Man by dreamwords: 11:25am On Jul 21, 2017
And the first v.c of unibadan was an Igbo man, how about that

1 Like

Re: The First Book In Igbo Language Was Written By A Yoruba Man by kilojoDesigns: 11:37am On Jul 21, 2017
dreamwords:
And the first v.c of unibadan was an Igbo man, how about that

yea, he probably learnt how to read and write igbo using Ajayi Crowther's book.

5 Likes

Re: The First Book In Igbo Language Was Written By A Yoruba Man by JAtoms: 12:04pm On Jul 21, 2017
kilojoDesigns:

yea, he probably learnt how to read and write igbo using Ajayi Crowther's book.
Am sure he now taught many other IGBO lectures who in turn taught men like Ambode, Tinubu, Fashola, even Former president of Ni**ria who is from Ogun State (I no kall name ooo)
Re: The First Book In Igbo Language Was Written By A Yoruba Man by kilojoDesigns: 12:09pm On Jul 21, 2017
JAtoms:

Am sure he now taught many other IGBO lectures who in turn taught men like Ambode, Tinubu, Fashola, even Former president of Ni**ria who is from Ogun State (I no kall name ooo)

lol probably true, why are you hashing out Nigeria. own your statements, that's how things get done.
Re: The First Book In Igbo Language Was Written By A Yoruba Man by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jul 21, 2017
Hmm
Re: The First Book In Igbo Language Was Written By A Yoruba Man by saydfact(m): 1:37pm On Jul 21, 2017
kilojoDesigns:

lol probably true, why are you hashing out Nigeria. own your statements, that's how things get done.

ask him.. lol

(1) (Reply)

Death_monkey Snatches Baby As Mum Breastfeeds Him-killed-pictures / Jan 2018 Now We Are Here: A Nairalander Shows His Cute Signout Pix (photos) / Federal University Of Technology Lokoja.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.