Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,203 members, 7,818,674 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:38 PM

Lagos LG Election: Violence May Erupt In Lagos On Saturday – TMG - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos LG Election: Violence May Erupt In Lagos On Saturday – TMG (16683 Views)

Lagos LG Boss Spotted Riding Public Bus (pics) / Bola Tinubu Casts His Vote At The Lagos LG Election (Photos) / Ambode Queues To Vote In Epe At Lagos LG Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos LG Election: Violence May Erupt In Lagos On Saturday – TMG by FRESHGIST247: 8:10am On Jul 21, 2017
Transition Monitoring Group, TMG, has warned that the tension building around the coming elections for the Local governments and the LCDAs coming up in Lagos State on Saturday the 22nd of July 2017, may result in violence.
This is contained in a statement on Thursday signed by Abiola Akiyode–Afolabi, Chairperson and Sulaimon Arigbagbu, South West Coordinator, TMG.

TMG said it is particularly worried about the incessant violence in some areas of Lagos, particularly in Mushin due to issues surrounding the nomination of candidates and the tension building up in some quarters due to undemocratic activities of some of the major political parties in the run up to the election and the impact of such tension for the coming elections.

The statement added: “We are also concerned about the speed with which the Lagos State House of Assembly passed an amendment to the Lagos Electoral Law regulating the conduct of election to allow for the substitution of a party candidate before the elections.
“The new bill allows a political party to withdraw and substitute candidate not later than three (3) days to LASIEC verification.

It also states that any candidate can withdraw from contesting not later than three (3) days to the election by personally taking a letter of withdrawal to the State Secretary of the party involved who must also personally take same to LASIEC not later than 12noon, three (3) days to the election.

“TMG is worried about the implications and dangers such amendment portends on the credibility of the Saturday, 22nd Lagos State Local Government Area (LGA) Council elections as scheduled by LAISEC.Conduct of credible, free, fair and legitimate elections cannot be achieved in this kind of arrangement with an amendment taken place just three days to election.

“Furthermore, we are also apprehensive of the implications of the multiplicity of court cases relating to party candidatures giving the fact that the election is just three days away.

Such conflicting decisions could cast aspersion on the credibility and legitimacy of the elections.

“We also express displeasure over the latest pronouncement by the authorities of the Lagos State Independent Electoral Commission (LAISEC) regarding its planned accreditation plan and observer’s deployment for the Saturday Local Government Election in Lagos State.

“Our concern is further heightened by the refusal by LASIEC to deploy Card Reader for the conduct of this coming elections. This is an anti-climax to the widely acknowledged improvement to our Electoral System during the 2015 General Elections.

“As a flagship organization on election and governance monitoring in Nigeria, TMG is seriously concerned about plethora of allegations trailing the preparations for the election and the lopsided observer’s deployment plan adopted by LAISEC. TMG urges the commission to reconsider its decision on these issues.

“We call on LASIEC to ensure highest standard in the conduct and administration of the coming Lagos LG/LCDAs elections, by carrying out their responsibilities in accordance with law, and without fear or favour. We hope that LASIEC is committed to an open, genuine, free and appropriate process that is devoid of any suspicion misgiving in the process leading to the election.

http://regulusnews.com/2017/07/21/violence-may-erupt-in-lagos-on-saturday-tmg/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos LG Election: Violence May Erupt In Lagos On Saturday – TMG by Homeboiy: 8:11am On Jul 21, 2017
angry
Re: Lagos LG Election: Violence May Erupt In Lagos On Saturday – TMG by taylor88(m): 8:13am On Jul 21, 2017
yawa

3 Likes

Re: Lagos LG Election: Violence May Erupt In Lagos On Saturday – TMG by Blackfire(m): 8:18am On Jul 21, 2017
Election is violence.
Hungry people are violent.
Lagos is known for violence.

Now mix all this ingredients together what do you have..... VIOLENCE.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos LG Election: Violence May Erupt In Lagos On Saturday – TMG by ChangetheChange: 8:18am On Jul 21, 2017
TMG said it is particularly worried about the incessant violence in some areas of Lagos, particularly in Mushin due to issues surrounding the nomination of candidates and the tension building up in some quarters due to undemocratic activities of some of the major political parties

grin grin grin

U need no prophet to tell u that this Saturday election in Lagos state will be bloody.

Tinubu unbecoming and irritative attitude of imposing candidates on his party has created the atmosphere for violence.

I advise u all stay indoor throughout tomorrow Saturday

We are also concerned about the speed with which the Lagos State House of Assembly passed an amendment to the Lagos Electoral Law regulating the conduct of election to allow for the substitution of a party candidate before the elections

Lol

“Our concern is further heightened by the refusal by LASIEC to deploy Card Reader for the conduct of this coming elections. This is an anti-climax to the widely acknowledged improvement to our Electoral System during the 2015 General Elections.

Card Readers will not be used? grin grin grin

The rigging has started.

KINDLY STAY INDOOR THROUGH OUT TOMORROW SATURDAY FOR UR OWN SAFETY

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos LG Election: Violence May Erupt In Lagos On Saturday – TMG by nNEOo(m): 8:32am On Jul 21, 2017
All we need in this ZOO is E -VOTING system .

6 Likes

Re: Lagos LG Election: Violence May Erupt In Lagos On Saturday – TMG by Aburi001: 8:37am On Jul 21, 2017
I'm looking forward to seeing the day an Election will be conducted in Nigeria without violence and killings.
Re: Lagos LG Election: Violence May Erupt In Lagos On Saturday – TMG by jashar(f): 8:38am On Jul 21, 2017
undecided

Why? So, people still be killing themselves over politicians?

3 Likes

Re: Lagos LG Election: Violence May Erupt In Lagos On Saturday – TMG by NairalandCS(m): 8:38am On Jul 21, 2017
Blackfire:
Election is violence.
Hungry people are violent.
Lagos is known for violence.

Now mix all this ingredients together what do you have..... VIOLENCE.

Well said my nigga.

7 Likes

Re: Lagos LG Election: Violence May Erupt In Lagos On Saturday – TMG by three: 8:39am On Jul 21, 2017
It will be peaceful

Come out & Vote

Let's ignite a revolution that our children and children's children will be proud of.

A revolution in Lagos will bring revolution to Nigeria
Re: Lagos LG Election: Violence May Erupt In Lagos On Saturday – TMG by seunlayi(m): 8:40am On Jul 21, 2017
It can't be peace due to hunger in the land

2 Likes

Re: Lagos LG Election: Violence May Erupt In Lagos On Saturday – TMG by lonelydora: 8:40am On Jul 21, 2017
That one concern them

1 Like

Re: Lagos LG Election: Violence May Erupt In Lagos On Saturday – TMG by femo122: 8:44am On Jul 21, 2017
We reject it
Re: Lagos LG Election: Violence May Erupt In Lagos On Saturday – TMG by BigBelleControl(m): 8:46am On Jul 21, 2017
My tomorrow's schedule:
Sleep Eat Play games Watch movies Browse the net
Repeat the above till fade.

8 Likes

Re: Lagos LG Election: Violence May Erupt In Lagos On Saturday – TMG by BigBelleControl(m): 8:47am On Jul 21, 2017
grin
Re: Lagos LG Election: Violence May Erupt In Lagos On Saturday – TMG by olarwarleh(m): 8:49am On Jul 21, 2017
Re: Lagos LG Election: Violence May Erupt In Lagos On Saturday – TMG by Dee60: 8:51am On Jul 21, 2017
Vote for who?

The problem today is that there is no more difference between APC or PDP or Labour Party. No ideology. No leadership. Or tell me, who is the leader of PDP or APC or Labour Party? No clear lines to demarcate their thinking. No compelling proposition. No passion for great progress.

The lesson of Macron's France is that a truly new mass movement is needed accross the country that will shun the old and wicked ways of doing politics in Nigeria. A new set of people with high quality thinking and a readiness to serve. When you look at Osinbajo you will be encouraged that you have good people in this country. But I think he is in the midst of wolves!

Until we have a truly new breed, ready to shun corruption, ready to push Nigeria to the top echelon in the comity of nations, all these gragra elections may lead us nowhere.

I have no worries about Saturday as I do not know any of the candidates.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos LG Election: Violence May Erupt In Lagos On Saturday – TMG by ipobarecriminals: 8:52am On Jul 21, 2017
sad
Re: Lagos LG Election: Violence May Erupt In Lagos On Saturday – TMG by Hempe(m): 8:56am On Jul 21, 2017
jashar:
undecided

Why? So, people still be killing themselves over politicians?
I wonder when somepple will get sense shocked
Re: Lagos LG Election: Violence May Erupt In Lagos On Saturday – TMG by jashar(f): 8:59am On Jul 21, 2017
Hempe:
I wonder when somepple will get sense shocked

Just imagine ooo....
Re: Lagos LG Election: Violence May Erupt In Lagos On Saturday – TMG by Mintayo(m): 9:13am On Jul 21, 2017
Before nko? Saturday na sit at home day...
Re: Lagos LG Election: Violence May Erupt In Lagos On Saturday – TMG by mkoabiola: 9:13am On Jul 21, 2017
In ikotun igando ,Mrs Williams should b d worst candidate imposed on the people of igando ikotun LCDA.

I will wait for the result but I knw dere may not b violence in ikotun
I will rather vote an ibo candidate to the imposed APC canididate,mrs Williams
Re: Lagos LG Election: Violence May Erupt In Lagos On Saturday – TMG by abumeinben(m): 9:14am On Jul 21, 2017
Wey me wan play ball?

Make dem do weh o

ChangetheChange:

KINDLY STAY INDOOR THROUGH OUT TOMORROW SATURDAY FOR UR OWN SAFETY

1 Like

Re: Lagos LG Election: Violence May Erupt In Lagos On Saturday – TMG by Oladelson(m): 9:18am On Jul 21, 2017
is okay!
Re: Lagos LG Election: Violence May Erupt In Lagos On Saturday – TMG by obonujoker(m): 9:21am On Jul 21, 2017
Because of rigging.... wicked nation
Re: Lagos LG Election: Violence May Erupt In Lagos On Saturday – TMG by PointZerom: 9:26am On Jul 21, 2017
mkoabiola:
In ikotun igando ,Mrs Williams should b d worst candidate imposed on the people of igando ikotun LCDA.

I will wait for the result but I knw dere may not b violence in ikotun
I will rather vote an ibo candidate to the imposed APC canididate,mrs Williams

I wonder what an elephantic woman has to offer.
Re: Lagos LG Election: Violence May Erupt In Lagos On Saturday – TMG by adioolayi(m): 9:31am On Jul 21, 2017
No be lie.....My Phones and Wallet almost robbed from me in broad daylight yesterday!

I stepped out of a pharmacy at Gbagada Estate....unknown to me, a campaign train of a political party was approaching......hoodlums were far ahead of the train and they demanded for my Phones and Wallet....Just like that Had to run swiftly back into the Pharmacy store!

Neighbourhood watch and the Police were few metres behind them and we had to tell them to chase the hoodlums using campaign to rob people. Many people were robbed of their Phones

1 Like

Re: Lagos LG Election: Violence May Erupt In Lagos On Saturday – TMG by Dollabiz: 9:35am On Jul 21, 2017
Will erupt not may
Re: Lagos LG Election: Violence May Erupt In Lagos On Saturday – TMG by oshe11: 10:03am On Jul 21, 2017
na norm na

(1) (2) (Reply)

Senate Presidency: Plot To Weaken Opposition To Lawan’s Emergence Thickens / President Buhari Receives Report From Presidential Committee (Photos) / Voter Apathy: Why Didn't You Vote In Today's Election.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.