Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,984 members, 7,835,300 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:19 AM

Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? (12773 Views)

Catholic Priests Dance With Masquerade At An Event In Nnewi, Anambra / Catholic Priests That Changed The World / Top Ten Miraculous Catholic Priests In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? by Chrisbenogor(m): 2:43am On Dec 13, 2008
I thought men think of sex more often than ladies
Re: Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? by Lady2(f): 6:32am On Dec 13, 2008
Chrisbenogor:

I thought men think of sex more often than ladies

Lol, ok o keep thinking that. Look we just know how to hide our thoughts. lol
Re: Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? by jamace(m): 7:47am On Dec 13, 2008
Should Catholic Priests be allowed to marry? Hmmnn! This is a one million dollar question. Frankly and candidly, I will vote for marry when your faith fails you. I know what I am talking about. From the days of Christ todate, many things have changed. The natural environment of man has become sophisticated both technologically and culturally. Instead of going to the deserts or mountains to live or fast and pray, most priests now live in mansions furnished with latest electronic gadgets. Radios and TVs provide words and pictures that arouse the "animal instinct" in man most of the time. What about the effects of fashion crazy attitude of most female worshippers on the priests? These make the priests to "burn" internally by perpetually fighting a biological versus spiritual battle. Sometimes, these burnings lead to sexual acts which have really tarnished the image of priests and the church generally embarassed.I know that most of the priests who indulge in this bad habit, and who have conscience, have become cold in the propagation of the faith which they took an oath to serve. I am not saying that some priests of the protestant churches who are married donot have the same bad records. Too often, one hear reports of sexual misbehaviour by priests. It has even come to a point that some worshippers change place of worship once their priest is confirmed to be in this bad habit. Some worshippers even change to other christian denominations. whatever the church cannon codes say or rules of the church and the oath of celibacy, these can be amended to accomodate the contemporary world. I candidly hold that oath of celibacy should be optional to Catholic priests. By the way, I am a Catholic. Thank you. lipsrsealed
Re: Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? by Chrisbenogor(m): 8:48am On Dec 13, 2008
Really! Dudes are the ones who have not really got control.
Re: Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? by SeaGoddes(f): 11:45pm On Dec 13, 2008
i think the church should leave that option open, afterall being married or not married doesnt mean they cant /or will serve God more or will go to heaven.
honestly i rather see them marry than see the church use my sunday collections and pay lawsuits of some naughty priests angry , or have little children's innocence taken away from them by those who were meant to protect them sad
Re: Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? by Ganjaseed: 6:16pm On Dec 16, 2008
Brethren let us look beyond priest marrying or not. The Bible has a full description of the Anti Christ and the Roma Catholics fits perfectly. Priests, Pop, and Nuns  are not gething married, because that is one of the charatteristics of the Anti Christ. [b](He will have "no regard for the desire of women": He will either be asexual or homosexual
Dan 11:37
Re: Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? by Lady2(f): 6:51pm On Dec 16, 2008
Chrisbenogor:

Really! Dudes are the ones who have not really got control.

Exactly you guys have no control watsoever, lol.

What you don't think women check men out? Ha, stay there. Our eyes scan o, we just know how to do it with class. We can look and you won't even know, a glance is enough. You guys turn the whole head and get caught. lol
Re: Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? by mnwankwo(m): 8:24pm On Dec 16, 2008
Celibacy as defined as "abstinence from sexual intercourse, especially by reason of religious vows" is unnatural. It is not a requirement for serving God and neither does it move its practitioners closer to heaven. With few exceptions, forced sexual abstinence can actually be harmful both biologically and spiritually. The sexual instinct in men and women is a gift of God. It was given to us for a purpose. The purpose of sexual instinct is both for procreation and mutual exchange of helping radiations between couples who are married according to the laws of God. Marriage in the sense of the laws of God is between a man and a woman who are bound by genuine love and spiritual harmony. Genuine love and mutaul spiritual harmony are the only requirements  for marriage according to the the laws of God. When a man and a woman are in perfect love and spiritual harmony, these events can atimes lead to physical consumation. In normal human beings, this physical consumation or sexual intercourse does not often occur. However, most humans are abnormal at present with respect to sexual intercourse in that the sexual instinct has been overdeveloped such that an otherwise natural gift of God has been turned into a monster, a grievious sin that now controls most human beings on earth. Sexual energy like all energy must be used for its purspose or else if it is used for wrong purposes, destruction will be the result. Thus if an abnormal man or women is a slave to his sexual instinct, he or she can attempt to restore the balance by forceful abstinence from sex. Such a measure became necessary simply because he is abnormal as manifested by his slavery to his instinct. Had he been normal, that is the master over the sexual instinct, then celibacy is unnecessary. The idea that by abstaining from food, sex, etc one is pleasing God is nonsense since the very things the practioner is abstaining are gifts of God. Why will one please God by abstaining from the gifts of God. It is indeed an irony that celibate practioners think that by rejecting the gift of God, they are then pleasing God. That we have misused and absused the sexual instinct does not detract that in its originality, that is as God made it, it is a beautiful and wonderful gift of God. Anyone who is married according to the laws of God can attest to the wonder and beauty of sexual union between him and his wife.  Misuse of sexual instinct include ponography, sexual relationships without inherent love and harmony between the couples, masturbation, homosexuality, flirtation, more than one sexul partner etc . It is the absue and misuse of the sexual instinct that we should and must prevent. The sexual instinct is hardwired by the creator in our body and a foreceful suppression is a waste of biological and spiritual energy. Such a celibate man spends much of his valuable time in fighting against the instinct (very often a loosing battle) and little time and energy is left for his or her spiritual development. Like all energy that is suppressed, such an energy try to escape forcefully resulting in sexual perversions including incest, child molestation etc as well as mental problems including depression, habitual mood swings etc. Of course those who want to be celibate do so out of choice but in most cases, the are ignorant of the consequences of their decision on their body, their mind , their soul and their spirit. Their are  reasons why God gave us the sexual instinct and an attempt to eliminate it will always end in failure.  No amount of prayer, faith, or sacrifice can eliminate the sexual instinct. We just have to learn how to control it so that we are its master as God designed it and not its slave as it is today.

1 Like

Re: Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? by slimfine(f): 1:09am On Dec 17, 2008
I was once a catholic until I reached 20 years of age. I am really not sure where to starts with catholicism. there is an issue of porgatory, priests not being able to marry, being neutral with homosexuality, accepting money to pray for your dead loved ones, confessing your sin to the priests, praying rosary, the list continue

regarding the issue of marriage in priesthood, please read 1st Timothy 3:1-6

you will find out that Jehoval God is a God of orderliness. He meant for the leader of his church to be married and have their own family. The above scripture points the relevancy. For if a man cannot take care of his family, how is he able to care for God's congregation?

God is not dumb! is about time people start applying his principle instead of their own doctrines.

by the way I am now go to Jehovah's witness
Re: Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? by Lady2(f): 8:18am On Dec 17, 2008
Celibacy as defined as "abstinence from sexual intercourse, especially by reason of religious vows" is unnatural

then Jesus and St. Paul must have been mad and unnatural when they asked those who could to take vows of celibacy for the kingdom of heaven.

by the way I am now go to Jehovah's witness

oh goody u jumped from christianity to occultism, so why should your word be regarded as something?

pls if u didn't understand your faith, all you had to do was ask.
Re: Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? by scottN(m): 8:33am On Dec 17, 2008
If I remember my BK, It said after God created man be FRUITFUL AND MULTIPLY. So I don't c why catholic priest are exceptions. In the religious world (and even in occult world), it is believed that sex reduces the spiritual level of men but it has been proven that men regain their spiritually after sex after they have undergone some rites and cleansing (for e.g fasting for Christians). So celibacy is just a way maintaining spirituality but not a sin if u can't practice it.
Re: Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? by Bastage: 11:33am On Dec 17, 2008
They should marry and raise children.

How can you preach if you don't know about life?

Marrying and creating and raising children is the biggest lesson in life. As a single man, one knows nothing about life. One can only guess.
Why should we be preached to by someone who is only guessing?
Re: Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? by Lady2(f): 5:41pm On Dec 17, 2008
scottN:

If I remember my BK, It said after God created man be FRUITFUL AND MULTIPLY. So I don't c why catholic priest are exceptions. In the religious world (and even in occult world), it is believed that sex reduces the spiritual level of men but it has been proven that men regain their spiritually after sex after they have undergone some rites and cleansing (for e.g fasting for Christians). So celibacy is just a way maintaining spirituality but not a sin if u can't practice it.

Was St. Paul mad when he chose to be celibate and asked others to do the same? Was Jesus stupid when he spoke highly of those who choose to be celibate for the Kingdom of heaven?
Whoever said not practicing celibacy is a sin?

Bastage:

They should marry and raise children.

How can you preach if you don't know about life?

Marrying and creating and raising children is the biggest lesson in life. As a single man, one knows nothing about life. One can only guess.
Why should we be preached to by someone who is only guessing?

This is the equivalent of saying that mothers are incapable of talking to their male children about manhood because mothers are not men.
Re: Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 2:50pm On Dec 18, 2008
Although catholic priest are very interested in marriage like i have noticed some!,the Ones that has not get married are mad in Mind i tell you this.,for those Ones still not yet married they are just pretending to be the saint they claim angry angry angry angry angry angry .they sleep with does people you called (sister,s) i mean does Sexy ladies you describe as Virgins!,they are busy enjoying them selves,and if you like you can dopt me about this.i already know all and is true!!
Re: Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? by afiq(m): 1:58pm On Dec 26, 2009
The best thing for us (the Catholics/non Catholics) to do is, to not judge something we don't understand. The protestants are busy 'protesting' and criticizing everything against their 'belief', the Catholics busy thinking as if the priests are not human. They do have flaws and weaknesses like you and me.
Re: Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? by Chiori(m): 7:53pm On Jan 04, 2010
they should marry reverend sisters so they can become reverend mothers, then we would become reverend children. That is my joking reply that is serious.
Re: Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? by IbrahimB: 1:00am On Jan 05, 2010
Yes they should. It'll stop them from molesting people's children.
Re: Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 6:56pm On Mar 12, 2010
[size=13pt]Catholic Priests are having hiding agenda outside there with ladies at night. . .abeg , gimme a break. cheesy wink[/size]
Re: Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? by Fhemmmy: 8:17pm On Mar 12, 2010
I think they shd be allowed to marry . . . . cos that will help to reduce the rate at which they molest the young kids.
Re: Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? by ukotmi: 9:39pm On Mar 13, 2010
wink wink wink wink wink. I was born and raised a catholic. My dad was the parish chairman for over a decade. Before then, he was a well known choir master.
So I knew catholic priests at very close range. They should be allowed to marry. Some of them keep multiple girl friends. If I am challenged, I will mention priests from the missionary society of st Paul(MSP) and their babes. One of them got married recently and joined Anglican Church as a priest. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? by Sissy3(f): 6:27am On Mar 14, 2010
Chiori:

they should marry reverend sisters so they can become reverend mothers, then we would become reverend children. That is my joking reply that is serious.

chaii ROTFLMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! u no well at alll grin grin grin grin grin grin

ukotmi:

wink wink wink wink wink. I was born and raised a catholic. My dad was the parish chairman for over a decade. Before then, he was a well known choir master.
So I knew catholic priests at very close range. They should be allowed to marry. Some of them keep multiple girl friends. If I am challenged, I will mention priests from the missionary society of st Paul(MSP) and their babes. One of them got married recently and joined Anglican Church as a priest. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? by Lady2(f): 8:02am On Mar 18, 2010
ukotmi:

It's quite easy to spot a liar. So bcus u can mention a group it means that your story on that group is true? Rubbish. Provide proof that this is true.
I'm also very familiar with the MSSP (get it right next time) and I don't know those that have girlfriends.
Re: Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Mar 18, 2010
Anglican ministers are permitted to marry. Now, some of them WANT TO MARRY THEIR FELLOW MEN . . .this issue has torn the worldwide Anglican Communion apart. . .

I do not think the problem lies either with celibacy or with marriage. . . but the mind needs to be freed from delusions, so many delusions. . .
Re: Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? by Devonian(m): 5:21pm On Mar 18, 2010
1. Some Roman Catholic Priests, especially those who relocated from Anglicanism, are married, living wither their families (wives and children).

2. You need to know what's going on in Ireland at the very moment.

a) Donal Murray, the Bishop of Limerick had called it a Day over the way he covered up intimacy scandals in his diocese (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ireland/6833245/Irish-church-intimacy-abuse-scandal-Bishop-of-Limerick-resigns-over-damning-report.html ).

b) It has come to light today that the incumbent Catholic Bishop of Derry secretly paid a girl who, at the age of 8, was subjected by a priest to sexual assaults and abuses for over the next ten years of her life (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/mar/18/irish-catholic-church-child-abuse ).  I am sure that he's come to the end of his ministerial journey. He would have to resign in the next few days because. His position is no longer tenable.

c) The incumbent Primate of the Catholic Church in Ireland is also fighting for his position for failing to report a priest who sexually molested children to the civil authorities some years back. Abp Brady is also under pressure to resign (http://www.meathchronicle.ie/opinion/comment/articles/2010/03/18/3995664-cardinal-under-pressure-over-failure-to-challenge-culture-of-secrecy/ ).

3. The Pope is also VERY FALLIBLE in this matter, news emerging from Germany shows he allegedly failed to manage Priests’ sexual misconduct which took place within his jurisdiction whilst he was Cardinal Ratzinger in Germany (http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1972306,00.html?xid=feed-yahoo-full-world-related )

4. It’s really incredible! RCC Priest should be allowed to marry. As someone has rightly pointed out on this thread, celibacy isn’t dogma or scripture. It’s about RCC Canon which is man-made. Man should therefore change it, considering some of them are already married with children. After all, Peter, whom RCC considers as the First Pope was married. This is my 2 pence worth contribution.
Re: Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? by Devonian(m): 5:47pm On Mar 18, 2010
Please allow the RCC Priests to s.h.a.g because, historically speaking, some Popes were not only sexually active during their pontificates, but also practised homosexuality. So, what are we talking about?

* Pope Sergius III (904–911) was supposedly the father of Pope John XI by Marozia, according to Liutprand of Cremona in his Antapodosis[23], as well as the Liber Pontificalis[24]. However it must be noted that this is disputed by another early source, the annalist Flodoard (c. 894-966), John XI was brother of Alberic II, the latter being the offspring of Marozia and her husband Alberic I. Hence John too may have been the son of Marozia and Alberic I. Bertrand Fauvarque underlines that the contemporary sources backing up this parenthood are dubious, Liutprand being "prone to exaggeration" while other mentions of this fatherhood appear in satires written by supporters of late Pope Formosus.[25]

* Pope John X (914–928) had romantic affairs with both Theodora and her daughter Marozia, according to Liutprand of Cremona in his Antapodosis[26]: "The first of the popes to be created by a woman and now destroyed by her daughter". (See also Saeculum obscurum)

* Pope John XII (955–963) (deposed by Conclave) was said to have turned the Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano into a brothel and was accused of adultery, fornication, and incest (Source: Patrologia Latina).[27] The monk chronicler Benedict of Soracte noted in his volume XXXVII that he "liked to have a collection of women". According to Liutprand of Cremona in his Antapodosis[28], "they testified about his adultery, which they did not see with their own eyes, but nonetheless knew with certainty: he had fornicated with the widow of Rainier, with Stephana his father's concubine, with the widow Anna, and with his own niece, and he made the sacred palace into a whorehouse." According to The Oxford Dictionary of Popes, John XII was "a Christian Caligula whose crimes were rendered particularly horrific by the office he held".[29]He was killed by a jealous husband while in the act of committing adultery with the man's wife.[30][31][32][33] (See also Saeculum obscurum)

* Pope Benedict IX (1032–1044, again in 1045 and finally 1047–1048) was said to have conducted a very dissolute life during his papacy.[34] Accused by Bishop Benno of Piacenza of "many vile adulteries and murders."[35][36] Pope Victor III referred in his third book of Dialogues to "his rapes, murders and other unspeakable acts. His life as a Pope so vile, so foul, so execrable, that I shudder to think of it."[37] It prompted St. Peter Damian to write an extended treatise against sex in general, and homosexuality in particular. In his Liber Gomorrhianus, St. Peter Damian recorded that Benedict "feasted on immorality" and that he was "a demon from hell in the disguise of a priest", accusing Benedict IX of routine sodomy and bestiality and was said to have sponsored orgies.[38] In May 1045, Benedict IX resigned his office to pursue marriage, selling his office for 1,500 pounds of gold to his godfather, the pious priest John Gratian, who named himself Pope Gregory VI.[39]

* Pope Alexander VI (1492–1503) had a notably long affair with Vannozza dei Cattanei before his papacy, by whom he had his famous illegitimate children Cesare and Lucrezia. A later mistress, Giulia Farnese, was the sister of Alessandro Farnese, who later became Pope Paul III. He fathered a total of at least seven, and possibly as many as ten illegitimate children.[40] (See also Banquet of Chestnuts)

Suspected to have had male lovers during pontificate

* Pope Paul II (1464–1471) was alleged to have died of a heart attack while in a sexual act with a page.[41]

* Pope Sixtus IV (1471–1484) was alleged to have awarded gifts and benefices to court favorites in return for sexual favors. Giovanni Sclafenato was created a cardinal by Sixtus IV for "ingenuousness, loyalty,, and his other gifts of soul and body",[42] according to the papal epitaph on his tomb.[43] Such claims were recorded by Stefano Infessura, in his Diarium urbis Romae.

* Pope Leo X (1513–1521) was alleged to have had a particular infatuation for Marc-Antonio Flaminio.[44]

* Pope Julius III (1550–1555) was alleged to have had a long affair with Innocenzo Ciocchi del Monte. The Venetian ambassador at that time reported that Innocenzo shared the pope's bedroom and bed.[45] According to the The Oxford Dictionary of Popes, he was "naturally indolent, he devoted himself to pleasurable pursuits with occasional bouts of more serious activity".[46]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sexually_active_popes#Sexually_active_during_their_pontificate
Re: Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? by Lady2(f): 8:40am On Mar 19, 2010
Devonian, be careful not to let hatred cloud your judgment or your ignorance to show.

3. The Pope is also VERY FALLIBLE in this matter, news emerging from Germany shows he allegedly failed to manage Priests’ sexual misconduct which took place within his jurisdiction whilst he was Cardinal Ratzinger in Germany (http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1972306,00.html?xid=feed-yahoo-full-world-related )

This has been proven to be false.
http://www.ewtn.com/vnews/getstory.asp?number=101036

lol@ wikipedia being your source on who was sexually active and not.
maybe i should go and post something there about you and tout it as truth?

4. It’s really incredible! RCC Priest should be allowed to marry. As someone has rightly pointed out on this thread, celibacy isn’t dogma or scripture. It’s about RCC Canon which is man-made. Man should therefore change it, considering some of them are already married with children. After all, Peter, whom RCC considers as the First Pope was married. This is my 2 pence worth contribution.

Peter was married BEFORE Christ, BEFORE he became a Priest, nothing about him not being being celibate AFTER he became a Priest. Maybe you should actually learn about the Requirements for Catholic Priesthood first? But then again, truth isn't something you might like is it?

Amazing how u happened to skip the posts that states that Priests are not forced into the priesthood, neither are they required to be unmarried.

And still even if they were required to be unmarried. Celibacy is not the problem. Marriage is not the solution. If it was, u wouldn't have married pastors boinking their parishioners, but they do. Sexual harrassment and molestation of children are very much prevalent in non-catholic churches. but no one gives them any attention. No one fights for those victims. you have thousands of victims who suffer at the hands of pastors, but no one is fighting for them.
Re: Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? by Macfonse: 12:46pm On Apr 08, 2010
There are millions of Married Catholic Priests around the world. It is only Roman Catholic that chose celibacy option for their priests as early as 800 century AD. Before then most priests were married and till date in other jurisdiction of the Catholic Church, Marriage is optional. Here in Nigeria, there is Greek Orthodox Catholic Church, Holy Orthodox Catholic Church, Byzantine Catholic Church, Maronite Catholic Church, most of the priests here are married.

The One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church was ruled by five patriarchs: those of Rome, Constantinople, Antioch, Alexandria, and Jerusalem, each having authority over bishops in a specified geographic territory. Although the five split from each other, none was a newly founded organization. Each group took (and still today takes) the view that it is the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church and the other group left that church at the time of the schism.

The term "catholic" means "universal" and has been used along with the term “Orthodox” since ancient times. The term “Catholic” has never been exclusively the property of the Church of Rome and it's ecclesiastic governmental divisions.

You can join other Catholic Churches that allow married priesthood if you are disturbed by Roman Priests allegations of sexual abuse. Join us today and still remain Catholic.

We admit married men to Holy Priesthood. Visit: www.holyorthodoxcatholichurch.org or nigeriaorthodoxcatholicchurch.org

Re: Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? by Fhemmmy: 5:21pm On Apr 08, 2010
Is it even a law that they cant marry?
Re: Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? by Macfonse: 3:04pm On Apr 09, 2010
Yes it is a Rule made by the Roman Jurisdiction of the catholic Church when children of priest started to claim patrimony after the dead of their father. The Church and the Children found it difficult to separate ownership of the property acquired and how the children would share in church's property.

To begin with, Jesus designated St. Peter, a married man, to be the first pope. Priests had married in Judaism (the priesthood itself was a hereditary profession), and it would seem that Christ accepted this part of the tradition in his choice of Peter. Although St. Paul believed that spreading the Gospel was easier for a man who didn’t have a family to provide for, he still mandated that bishops, elders and deacons be only “the husband of one wife.” (Even then, polygamy among all ranks of the clergy persisted, and by the third century bishops alone were required to be monogamous.)

The change began with the Council of Elvira in Spain in about 306, which prohibited bishops, deacons and priests from marrying. Shortly thereafter, the early church fathers began to stigmatize sex as sinful in their writings. St. Ambrose (340-397) wrote, “The ministerial office must be kept pure and unspoiled and must not be defiled by coitus,” and the former libertine St. Augustine (354-430) even went so far as to consider an erect penis a sign of man’s insubordination

With the advent of the Dark Ages around 500, the upheavals in society saw a decline in clerical discipline and with it, a return to marriage and even the keeping of concubines by priests. During this time, the wealth of the church was also increasing, a development not lost on Rome. Many priests were leaving church lands to their heirs, and others handed down land of their own through primogeniture. The Holy See saw that a return to the celibacy rule would result in a real-estate bonanza, and in about 1018 Pope Benedict VIII put teeth in the Elvira decree by forbidding descendents of priests to inherit property. Later, in the 11th century, Pope Gregory VII, who had assumed vast power by declaring himself the supreme authority over all souls, went even further by proscribing married priests from saying mass; he also forbid parishioners from attending masses said by them. Scholars believe that the first written law forbidding the clergy to marry was finally handed down at the Second Lateran Council in 1139.

Dissent persisted, though. At two 15th-century church councils, supporters of clerical marriage attempted to reintroduce the practice but were defeated by hard-liners, who tried to rewrite history by asserting that celibacy was apostolic in its origins. The law finally became official doctrine at the Council of Trent in 1563, and Rome’s position on the issue has remained essentially unchanged since then.

While this was an issue with the Roman Catholic Church, it was never an issue with the other four jurisdiction of the Catholic Church. Till date marriage for the priesthhood is optional, but once ordained, one is not allowed to marry and if the wife of a priest dies, he may not remarry.
Re: Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? by Fhemmmy: 3:43pm On Apr 09, 2010
So if it is a rule, then, they shd not be marrying, cos they know the rule of the faith they have embraced.
If they dont like it, they cld quit
Re: Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? by Macfonse: 1:46pm On Apr 10, 2010
Precisely the point
Re: Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married? by Ivynwa(f): 3:50am On Oct 21, 2010
In my own opinion, I think that it was wrong to have made that rule that made priest and reverend sisters unmarried. They are human being and undergo the same hormonal effects like everybody else. A woman in her ovulation period experiences sexual urge as a result of the hormone and exactly so doe s a reverend sister, it is left for us humans to use our wills at such times and control ourselves .
Men have it harder than us women as their own sexual urge is greater and no human should be condemned to a life of not having to know the warmth, hugs and love of another in the union of marriage.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Best Of The Best Of Gospel Reggae Music For Spiritual Upliftment / 5 Reasons Christians Should Share Testimonies In Church - Tunde Korede / Apostle Suleiman Warned Kogi Governorship Candidates Of Death (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.