Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,206 members, 7,829,315 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:49 AM

Reasons Why Driverless Cars May Never Work In Nigeria - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Reasons Why Driverless Cars May Never Work In Nigeria (824 Views)

What To Choose For A Family – A Minivan Or Crossover?large Roomy Cars May Be Dif / Why Driverless Cars May Never Work In Nigeria / 7 Reasons Why Driverless Cars Won't Work On Nigerian Roads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why Driverless Cars May Never Work In Nigeria by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:05am On Jul 22, 2017
The world is moving to a stage where everything is automated but Nigeria is just behind the limelight and always one of the last to embrace new technologies and the government is not helping things either.

The Challenge Of Using Driverless Cars In Nigeria
Most of the road networks in Nigeria are unorganized so this poses a threat for the use of driverless cars. Apart from the road networks there are also other pressing issues that may place Nigeria far behind in embracing the use of driverless cars. The country lacks stable electricity, there are slow Internet connections in some areas and a very disorganized public transport system.

Since these vehicles are automated and need a fast and stable internet connection to work it may take years before driverless cars would be in use in Nigeria if these issues are not tackled. However, bad governance is slowly killing the future of technology in Nigeria. The funds meant to be used to improve the lives of the citizens are being embezzled and the Nigerian people have adopted a way of life that keeps them going strong despite the hardship.

Nigerians have learnt to smile even in the midst of pain and hardship. I must say that it's quite appalling that a country like Nigeria that is called "The Giant Of Africa" ( a name I feel Nigeria no longer deserves as they have learnt to celebrate mediocrity over meritocracy) does not have 24 hours electricity after over 50 years of existence.A particular group of persons are enjoying while the masses are suffering.

I've taken time to analyze the worst case scenarios that could occur if driverless cars come to Nigeria.

1. Reckless Danfo Drivers Ramming Into To The Cars.
(Danfo is a yellow bus usually used commercially around Lagos, Nigeria)

Automated cars have had their fair share of crashes, even Google's driverless car is exempted.
Most automated cars rely on artificial intelligence to predict the movement of the cars around.
An average Nigerian doesn't need a geek to tell him that before you can use artificial intelligence to predict the movements of these drivers, your artificial intelligence logic must be out of this world.

2. Owners Of Automated Cars Will Get Stuck The Road

Most traffic jams are caused when someone decides to break traffic rules and others decide to follow. It's either a traffic jam drains your car battery and you end up stuck on the road. Considering the fact that most automated cars especially Tesla cars are charged, with the current state of electricity in the country, it's almost a bad idea to even think of using an automated car here.

3. A Pothole Wrecks Your Engine

I've always wanted potholes to be shown on Google Maps for Nigeria but I guess it's going to take a while.
Engines of these cars are very expensive and I'm not yet sure if there are repair stations I'm Nigeria. This simply means that, if the A.I can't detect the potholes, then autopilot mode isn't a very good option.
I'd love to know what you think about having cars without drivers on Nigerian roads
Re: Reasons Why Driverless Cars May Never Work In Nigeria by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:05am On Jul 22, 2017
Re: Reasons Why Driverless Cars May Never Work In Nigeria by Gen2Soul22: 7:08am On Jul 22, 2017
Ure koret
Re: Reasons Why Driverless Cars May Never Work In Nigeria by NLTroubleChild: 7:09am On Jul 22, 2017
Buhari is a useless old sheep with no sense of reasoning
Re: Reasons Why Driverless Cars May Never Work In Nigeria by IneedSugarMumy1(m): 7:37am On Jul 22, 2017
Chaiii, am relocating from naija to Burundi
Re: Reasons Why Driverless Cars May Never Work In Nigeria by NaijaTechGuy(m): 12:42pm On Jul 22, 2017
IneedSugarMumy1:
Chaiii, am relocating from naija to Burundi
lol
Re: Reasons Why Driverless Cars May Never Work In Nigeria by henryobinna(m): 3:37pm On Jul 22, 2017
They won't work here mainly because of No working traffic light. I don't mean our traffic lights don't work but they are not reliable. Another thing is map, yes. I don't know well Google map knowsour cities and town.

OP, the part you talked about Driverless cards getting stucked on the way because of battery is not entirely right nor wrong. Not all Driverless cars are electric cars, get the difference.

Only electric cars like Teslas would have such issues.

by the way nice post.

I dream and hope to buy and​ own a Tesla someday

Best VR Apps You Should Try On Your Phone Now
Re: Reasons Why Driverless Cars May Never Work In Nigeria by NaijaTechGuy(m): 6:33pm On Jul 22, 2017
henryobinna:
They won't work here mainly because of No working traffic light. I don't mean our traffic lights don't work but they are not reliable. Another thing is map, yes. I don't know well Google map knowsour cities and town.

OP, the part you talked about Driverless cards getting stucked on the way because of battery is not entirely right nor wrong. Not all Driverless cars are electric cars, get the difference.

Only electric cars like Teslas would have such issues.

by the way nice post.

I dream and hope to buy and​ own a Tesla someday

Best VR Apps You Should Try On Your Phone Now

Thanks
Re: Reasons Why Driverless Cars May Never Work In Nigeria by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:23am On Jul 23, 2017
Cc mynd44 lalasticlala
Re: Reasons Why Driverless Cars May Never Work In Nigeria by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:01am On Jul 24, 2017
NLTroubleChild:
Buhari is a useless old sheep with no sense of reasoning
lol. But there's actually no reason to insult him sha
Re: Reasons Why Driverless Cars May Never Work In Nigeria by NaijaTechGuy(m): 8:40am On Aug 31, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:
Cc mynd44 lalasticlala
Re: Reasons Why Driverless Cars May Never Work In Nigeria by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:10am On Sep 15, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:
Cc mynd44 lalasticlala autojosh

(1) (Reply)

clean registered Camry muscle V6 needed urgently / Volkswagen Tiguan 2012 Naija Used. SOLD SOLD SOLD!!! THANKS 4UR PATRONAGE / Newly Arrived Toyota Camry 2010 (muscle)for Sale 3.1M Asking Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.