Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:36 AM

Southerners In Jos Complain - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Southerners In Jos Complain (781 Views)

Southerners Erroneously Think The North Is Dependent On The South - Ben Bruce / Southerners In The North - Will You Travel Out During Election? / Group Submits Bill For Registration Of Southerners In Kaduna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Southerners In Jos Complain by mekuszyx: 5:59am On Feb 06, 2010
Jos Crisis: Yoruba, Igbo, S-South Communities Allege Marginalisation

Written by Isaac Shobayo

The Yoruba, Igbo and south-south communities in Plateau State have frowned at the composition of the Chief Solomon Lar-led panel, set up by Vice President Goodluck Jonathan to find a lasting solution to the persistent crisis in Plateau State, saying that the panel is not all-inclusive.

The observation of the communities was that the composition was lopsided and did not embrace all the major stakeholders in the troubled Jos North Local Government Area of the state.

According to the Yoruba Community, in a statement signed by its president-general, Chief Toye Ogunshuyi, and the Oba of Yoruba, Plateau State, Chief Solomon Olugbodi, the community averred that it deserved representation in the panel, having settled in the state for over 200 years with diverse business interests.

The Yorubas, who commended Jonathan for his wisdom and vision for appointing the 15-man-committee, said they felt sidelined and marginalised for their exclusion as major stakeholders in the socio-economic and political development of the state .

“The Yoruba believe the selection or appointment of a-15-man committee under the leadership of Chief Solomon Lar is a good decision and strongly recommend that the interest of Yoruba, the Igbo and South –south communities and others be considered and included in the Federal Government committee for a permanent solution to the incessant crises in the state,” the community said.

It therefore suggested, that the 15-man committee be expanded to accomondate the interests of the Yoruba and other ethnic and tribal groups residing in the state.

An Igbo political pressure group christened ‘Igbo Democratic Forum’, in a statement signed by its national president, Chief Chidi Ndu, expressed disappointment that the composition of the panel left out the Igbo, Yoruba, south south and other ethnic groups in the state who are also major stakeholders on the Plateau.

According to the Forum, the Igbos population in Jos stands at about 300,000 with strategic business hold on the electronics, household wares, and petroleum and haulage business.
Re: Southerners In Jos Complain by mekuszyx: 6:00am On Feb 06, 2010
300,000 Igbos in Jos alone? How many are there in Lagos and Abuja then?
Re: Southerners In Jos Complain by edoyad(m): 6:53am On Feb 06, 2010
I don't understand, are you complaining bout the dispersion or are you commending it ?
Re: Southerners In Jos Complain by Ikengawo: 7:39am On Feb 06, 2010
that 300.000 number isn't suprising. igbo are the majority in nigeria cause jos compared to other places that aren't in the east even has a small igbo popluation in comparison.
Re: Southerners In Jos Complain by SapeleGuy: 11:22am On Feb 06, 2010
Comedians - Oba of Yoruba in Plateau State. How does this fellow expect to be taken seriously?
Re: Southerners In Jos Complain by edoyad(m): 11:34am On Feb 06, 2010
Sapele guy don't you know ethnic groups in diaspora have their chieves too ? The late Obi of Igbos in kaduna was returned home for burial just about two weeks ago and all igbo shop owners were advised to lock up in respect. I don't know if the traders honored it though.
Re: Southerners In Jos Complain by ezeagu(m): 11:49am On Feb 06, 2010
Who cares?

mekuszyx:

300,000 Igbos in Jos alone? How many are there in Lagos and Abuja then?

At least 1/4 of Lagos is Igbo.

edoyad:

Sapele guy don't you know ethnic groups in diaspora have their chieves too ?

Please explain to me what a "chieve" is.
Re: Southerners In Jos Complain by SapeleGuy: 11:54am On Feb 06, 2010
Edoyad, i know but foolishness by any other name or in any other location is still foolishness.
Re: Southerners In Jos Complain by Nobody: 12:00pm On Feb 06, 2010
Ezeagu

Please for your sake don't tell me you did not know the plural of 'chief' is 'chieves'
Re: Southerners In Jos Complain by Tsiya(m): 12:05pm On Feb 06, 2010
mikeansy:

Ezeagu

Please for your sake don't tell me you did not know the plural of 'chief' is 'chieves'

The rule of wife (singular) and wives (plural) do not apply to chief. Chief (s) and Chiefs(p)
Re: Southerners In Jos Complain by Nobody: 12:21pm On Feb 06, 2010
Tsiya:

The rule of wife (singular) and wives (plural) do not apply to chief. Chief (s) and Chiefs(p)

Hope I am not even more dumb
Re: Southerners In Jos Complain by Nobody: 12:22pm On Feb 06, 2010
It looks like it.

I just checked and I am even more dumb.
Re: Southerners In Jos Complain by ezeagu(m): 12:26pm On Feb 06, 2010
mikeansy:

It looks like it.

I just checked and I am even more dumb.

grin

Everyone makes mistakes. . . . .
Re: Southerners In Jos Complain by edoyad(m): 12:28pm On Feb 06, 2010
Can someone tell me what the past tense of "dive" is before i educate anyone ?
Re: Southerners In Jos Complain by Tsiya(m): 12:34pm On Feb 06, 2010
edoyad:

Can someone tell me what the past tense of "dive" is before i educate anyone ?

I hope you are not turning this into an English class.
We have to understand that English has no general rule like some languages.

dived or dove - can both be use as past tense depending on where you are. In UK most people use dived but I have seen significant local folks, especially in mid-lands that uses dove, especially in swimming pools
Re: Southerners In Jos Complain by edoyad(m): 12:47pm On Feb 06, 2010
I'm not saying that English has no general rules, but when you understand that grammar(in what ever dialect or language) evolves with It's users, you'll understand some of this things better. That's why words like blog and even google are in your modern dictionary(google is actually a verb. And in time it would probably replace search). Just cos the color of the sky is blue your part of town doesn't make the colour of mine blue as well.
Re: Southerners In Jos Complain by Tsiya(m): 12:53pm On Feb 06, 2010
edoyad:

I'm not saying that English has no general rules, but when you understand that grammar(in what ever dialect or language) evolves with It's users, you'll understand some of this things better. That's why words like blog and even google are in your modern dictionary(google is actually a verb. And in time it would probably replace search). Just cos the color of the sky is blue your part of town doesn't make the colour of mine blue as well.

At the end of the day, it is all about communicating. The minute details are for scholarly purpose
Re: Southerners In Jos Complain by mekuszyx: 2:07pm On Feb 06, 2010
edoyad:

I don't understand, are you complaining bout the dispersion or are you commending it ?

Hepatitis C Virus infection in apparentenly healthy individuals with family history of diabetes in Vom, Plateau State Nigeria
Obinna O Nwankiti1 , James A Ndako2 , Georgebest ON Echeonwu2 , Atanda O Olabode2 , Chika I Nwosuh1 , Ema M Onovoh2 , Lilian A Okeke2 , Jumoke O Akinola2 , Boniface N Duru2 , Ijeoma O Nwagbo1 , Godwin O Agada1 and Anthony A Chukwuedo1

1  Viral Vaccines Production Division, National Veterinary Research Institute Vom, Nigeria

2  Federal College of Veterinary and Medical Laboratory Technology, National Veterinary Research Institute Vom, Nigeria

http://www.virologyj.com/content/6/1/110/abstract

Above an anecdotal evidence of Igbo strenght in Jos
Re: Southerners In Jos Complain by slavia(m): 12:02pm On Feb 08, 2010
Bleep

(1) (Reply)

Why I Shunned Fashola’s 1000-day Cerebration —lagos Speaker / Jonathan Seeks Support To Fight Almajiri Problem / Nigeria: Is There Any Reason For Hope?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.