Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,757 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:21 PM

Widow Cries For Help, Alleges Threat To Life By Late Husband’s Family (pic) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Widow Cries For Help, Alleges Threat To Life By Late Husband’s Family (pic) (1126 Views)

My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry / Woman Photoshops Late Husband To Family Pictures To Celebrate His 40th Birthday / Headless Girl Who Appeared In A Couple's Family Pic Causes Panic On Instagram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Widow Cries For Help, Alleges Threat To Life By Late Husband’s Family (pic) by Islie: 5:55pm On Jul 22, 2017
By Nabob Ogbonna, Abakaliki

[img]https://images.dailytrust.com.ng/cms/gall_content/2017/7/2017_7$large_Mrs_Ibeh_and_children.jpg[/img]

Mrs Ibeh and children

Mrs. Odinaka Ibeh, a widow and mother of five, today lives at the mercy of people for the provision of food and shelter as she runs from her in-laws who are accusing her of being responsible for the death of her husband. She says she goes to God daily in tears and prayer for vindication over her present predicament.

Odinaka’s problem began immediately she lost her husband Cyriacus Ibeh, who was once a well-to-do businessman. They had lived together in Lagos until his health condition began to deteriorate as a result of a kidney infection. He later died at St. Rita Hospital and Maternity Ugwuabo Umuobom in Imo State where he was taken to for treatment.

She said her late husband, who was a Sabbath Mission faithful, had initially refused medical treatment due to his faith and rather sought spiritual treatment which did not yield any positive result.

The widow, who is now taking refuge in a prayer house in Abakaliki, with her children, is alleging that one Mr. Ekene Ibeh, who claims to be the most senior member of the Ibeh family, is threatening her life.

In a letter signed by Mrs Ibeh and addressed to the National Council of Non Government Organizations and Civil Society Organization in Nigeria, to come to her aid, she stressed that the intentions of Ekene and others in the family is to deny her and her five children access to and ownership of her late husband’s property.

Part of the letter read, “We are now taking refuge in Abakaliki with a woman of God who has been responsible for our feeding for the past 4 months. I hope you would help to save us from being killed by Mr. Ekene Ibe and his group,” she pleaded.

Odinaka in the letter further noted that she was the legitimate wife of the deceased, married to him according to law and custom, with all rights fulfilled since 2010.

“To be honest with you, when he became seriously ill, one of his brothers named Chinonso Ibeh, in company of some other relatives, conveyed him to our home town for proper upkeep and from where he was finally admitted at St. Rita’s Hospital and Maternity, Ugwuabo Umuobom, Imo State.”

“It would sound unbelievable that instead of the so called Ekene Ibeh to sympathize with me and my little children over the death of their father and brother, and help to collectively plan his burial, Mr. Ekene Ibeh and his cohorts took to threatening my life and that of my children and other members of the family who opposed him and has succeeded in chasing us away to Abakaliki,” the letter stated.

When contacted, Mr.  Ekene Ibeh accused his brother’s wife of desecrating the custom of the land. He insisted that Odinaka and Chinonso Ibeh had no right to fix the burial of late Cyriacus without the consent of the other members of the family.

Ekene, who expressed worry over their disregard of the family’s directive to conduct an autopsy on the deceased to ascertain the cause of his death, maintained that the wife had no right according to tradition to bury her husband without the approval of the entire family.

However, Jacob Cyriacus - the only male child of the late man, told Daily Trust that he has not attended school since the death of his father.

“I’ve not been to school since my father died because we’ve not been able to settle in one place. We’ve been moving from one town to another and worse still, we no longer eat together, joke and play as a family.” 

Jacob called on good spirited Nigerians and organization to come to their aid, saying their present lifestyle would seriously affect his future.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/widow-cries-for-help-alleges-threat-to-life-by-late-husband-s-family/206526.html

lalasticlala

Re: Widow Cries For Help, Alleges Threat To Life By Late Husband’s Family (pic) by NwaAmaikpe: 5:58pm On Jul 22, 2017
shocked

She is the one that looked for their trouble

Why did she kill her husband.
As if that was not enough, she buried him without the family's consent.

It is biblical

"He that diggeth a pit shall fall into it; and whoso breaketh an hedge, a serpent shall bite him."
Ecc 10:8
Re: Widow Cries For Help, Alleges Threat To Life By Late Husband’s Family (pic) by nextprince: 6:03pm On Jul 22, 2017
Shey na ibo? Abeg dis one no be news jare.

Re: Widow Cries For Help, Alleges Threat To Life By Late Husband’s Family (pic) by AuroraB(f): 6:24pm On Jul 22, 2017
Ibos be treating widows like there's a prize for being mean to them angry
Chinneke gbusia unu widow oppressors there angry

1 Like

Re: Widow Cries For Help, Alleges Threat To Life By Late Husband’s Family (pic) by thesicilian: 6:35pm On Jul 22, 2017
This is a very common tradition in almost all areas of Nigeria, a successful man dies and the relatives (usually one ragamuffin uncle whom he's not on good terms with) starts maltreating and harassing the family just to lay his hands on the property.
This is why I want to have children early and empower them and my wife financially and with good education so that when I die, no cursed son of a thousand demons can dictate what happens to them.
Re: Widow Cries For Help, Alleges Threat To Life By Late Husband’s Family (pic) by eyinjuege: 6:44pm On Jul 22, 2017
Its important that all men and women leave a will, so their children don't suffer.
That close brother may frustrate your family once death comes.
Re: Widow Cries For Help, Alleges Threat To Life By Late Husband’s Family (pic) by 7footre(m): 7:29pm On Jul 22, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

She is the one that looked for their trouble

Why did she kill her husband.
As if that was not enough, she buried him without the family's consent.

It is biblical

"He that diggeth a pit shall fall into it; and whoso breaketh an hedge, a serpent shall bite him."
Ecc 10:8

Normally I enjoy your posts but

Re: Widow Cries For Help, Alleges Threat To Life By Late Husband’s Family (pic) by Evablizin(f): 10:47pm On Jul 22, 2017
Sorry ma,God of the widows avenge for her
Re: Widow Cries For Help, Alleges Threat To Life By Late Husband’s Family (pic) by wailersarefools: 3:40am On Jul 23, 2017
[s]
thesicilian:
This is a very common tradition in almost all areas of Nigeria, a successful man dies and the relatives (usually one ragamuffin uncle whom he's not on good terms with) starts maltreating and harassing the family just to lay his hands on the property.
This is why I want to have children early and empower them and my wife financially and with good education so that when I die, no cursed son of a thousand demons can dictate what happens to them.
[/s]
Not all areas of Nigeria. Igbo are known for that.
Re: Widow Cries For Help, Alleges Threat To Life By Late Husband’s Family (pic) by obicentlis: 4:01am On Jul 23, 2017
This report is very biased, just filled with sentiments. Most times, if a man dies, his wife will turn to tiger and brought up sentiments. Burial arrangement is not the sole decision of the wife. It is a collective decision of the wife and umunna.
Dailytrust did a junk report on this case. Where is the man from, because I know very much of the customs of the town where hospital is situated and they can never maltreat a widow unless the man's siblings suspects foul play. This woman is not telling the truth of the matter.
For people who doesn't know, in igboland, umunna owns u and you also own umunna. If umunna suspects foul play, they have every right to demand for an autopsy.

Moreover, when a man dies, umunna will ask the first son or the wife if the first son is still young , to give account of the man's death, if they were not involved when he was sick. You can't call people that their son died mysteriously and expect them to bury him like fowl and without asking questions. Don't bring sentiments here plz.

1 Like

Re: Widow Cries For Help, Alleges Threat To Life By Late Husband’s Family (pic) by thesicilian: 4:50am On Jul 23, 2017
wailersarefools:
[s][/s]
Not all areas of Nigeria. Igbo are known for that.
Lol. "Almost all" is not the same as "all."
But it's more widespread than you think. The Edos, Deltans, Yorubas, Igbos, and some parts of the middle belt all practice it.
Re: Widow Cries For Help, Alleges Threat To Life By Late Husband’s Family (pic) by Oyindidi(f): 5:36pm On Jul 23, 2017
Suffering of the woman continues. Na only God go help her.

(1) (Reply)

Aww! This Must Be The Most Adorable Photo-bomb Ever / _ / Woman Gave Birth To Her Sweet Baby Boy In Water Then Another Baby Follow. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.