Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,337 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:01 AM

Help, How Can Someone Stop Being Extremely Reserved And Antisocial? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Help, How Can Someone Stop Being Extremely Reserved And Antisocial? (1618 Views)

Homosexuality: No Right Reserved, World Human Right Declared. / Please Help!!! How Do I Get My Money Back From Gtbank / If You Could Choose Would You Stop Being Black? (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help, How Can Someone Stop Being Extremely Reserved And Antisocial? by Peachess(f): 6:37pm On Jul 22, 2017
I don't really like bringing my problems online but it's really getting out of hand.
I'm extremely reserved, shy and antisocial. I find it difficult talking to strangers and people I'm not really close to. I've tried every method possible to come out of my shell but I'm still the same, I'm not improving.
I'm trying to start a carrier along with my studies, this path I'm trying to go into needs someone that's not shy (cos I'd face a lot of audience). I got selected in the first audition I went for, but I chickened out and didn't go back. My friends dragged me to another audition, I got selected again but I'm scared I'll chicken out again. They're not forcing me, I actually love it (I have a passion for it), but my personality sucks.
I've tried making new friends online (hoping it'll make me open up a little) but I'll stop talking to them for no reason. It really sucks, I don't like the truth but I'm antisocial and need to change.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help, How Can Someone Stop Being Extremely Reserved And Antisocial? by walepackage(m): 7:32pm On Jul 22, 2017
I tink its an issue of mindset whic u developed from ur subconscious to ur conscience, maybe probably to ur past experience or when u ar growing up as a child,it maybe u ar the type that was raise in a smal nuclear family and restricted to be cautious of ur interactions with generalize other.I tink the first way out,is for the fact that u know u have a prob.In order to profer some posible way out,i wil like to ask u.#are u the type that is judgemental in nature.#are u temperament in nature,#do you grow up in a quiet environment or have something best known to u that gives u joy.#do u have this non chalant attitude"i dont care".
Re: Help, How Can Someone Stop Being Extremely Reserved And Antisocial? by Peachess(f): 8:46pm On Jul 22, 2017
walepackage:
I tink its an issue of mindset whic u developed from ur subconscious to ur conscience, maybe probably to ur past experience or when u ar growing up as a child,it maybe u ar the type that was raise in a smal nuclear family and restricted to be cautious of ur interactions with generalize other.I tink the first way out,is for the fact that u know u have a prob.In order to profer some posible way out,i wil like to ask u.#are u the type that is judgemental in nature.#are u temperament in nature,#do you grow up in a quiet environment or have something best known to u that gives u joy.#do u have this non chalant attitude"i dont care".
You just described me, I was raised in a very small nuclear family and yes I was restricted. I still even restrict myself in school (I don't visit, always indoor).
The answer to all your questions is yes, I'm very judgy, I'm temperamental, I grew up in a quiet environment and I do have a nonchalant attitude.
I've tried so many approaches but I'm still not the person I wanna be. I'm the still that reserved person I hate so much.
Re: Help, How Can Someone Stop Being Extremely Reserved And Antisocial? by walepackage(m): 9:17pm On Jul 22, 2017
Peachess:

You just described me, I was raised in a very small nuclear family and yes I was restricted. I still even restrict myself in school (I don't visit, always indoor).
The answer to all your questions is yes, I'm very judgy, I'm temperamental, I grew up in a quiet environment and I do have a nonchalant attitude.
I've tried so many approaches but I'm still not the person I wanna be. I'm the still that reserved person I hate so much.

ok,haven said that,at this junction what u need most is face to face interactions wit people in order to activate ur social bein.first,man is dual in nature i.e our action to certain phenomenal is as a result of our inbuilt(heredity,gene e,t,c) and what we learn after birth(socialization).u should try as possible to see people around u as harmles nd view them as good people.stage one is wat we called "impresion formatio"cos we tend to act to strangers acording to the preconceiv notion we develop b4 interaction.
Re: Help, How Can Someone Stop Being Extremely Reserved And Antisocial? by walepackage(m): 9:36pm On Jul 22, 2017
second,u have to work on those tins that arouse ur temparament,havin the believ that we are all human and nobody is "perfect"we can make a mistake by provoking others in our actions or inaction.This wil help u in ur dealings with people who u have nt realy familiar wit,and wil reduce ur rate of temperament becos of"individual diferences".Thirdly,after undastanding that people varies interms of thinkin,atitude,behaviour,opinion due to their own biological make up nd socialization,it wil project u to be more free wit people and the chain of the interaction wunt break quickly.If u can try this for sometime u wil change.Lastly,watch som more emotional films,were theirs sympathy,ensure to do"self actualization in ur mind"if u aint sympatize wit the scene,then go outside of ur comfort, visit places where people needs help try nd show some love.Do it for some time,ur compasion and sympaty wil b activate,this wil reshape ur psyche towards life nd it wil realy show in ur atitude nd behaviour towads people around u.
Re: Help, How Can Someone Stop Being Extremely Reserved And Antisocial? by Peachess(f): 10:23pm On Jul 22, 2017
walepackage:
second,u have to work on those tins that arouse ur temparament,havin the believ that we are all human and nobody is "perfect"we can make a mistake by provoking others in our actions or inaction.This wil help u in ur dealings with people who u have nt realy familiar wit,and wil reduce ur rate of temperament becos of"individual diferences".Thirdly,after undastanding that people varies interms of thinkin,atitude,behaviour,opinion due to their own biological make up nd socialization,it wil project u to be more free wit people and the chain of the interaction wunt break quickly.If u can try this for sometime u wil change.Lastly,watch som more emotional films,were theirs sympathy,ensure to do"self actualization in ur mind"if u aint sympatize wit the scene,then go outside of ur comfort, visit places where people needs help try nd show some love.Do it for some time,ur compasion and sympaty wil b activate,this wil reshape ur psyche towards life nd it wil realy show in ur atitude nd behaviour towads people around u.
Thanks for the tips, you've really been helpful. But it's easier said than done, I've really tried many things both the ones I saw online. It's really challenging and not easy. I'll start online and if I'm able to pull it off then I'll face the real deal.
Re: Help, How Can Someone Stop Being Extremely Reserved And Antisocial? by walepackage(m): 10:33pm On Jul 22, 2017
Peachess:

Thanks for the tips, you've really been helpful. But it's easier said than done, I've really tried many things both the ones I saw online. It's really challenging and not easy. I'll start online and if I'm able to pull it off then I'll face the real deal.
u are welcome.This place nd other social networks wil help u to garner much friends u need,bt u need more of the face to face interaction in order to ignite ur social being better.Nice havin u here.
Re: Help, How Can Someone Stop Being Extremely Reserved And Antisocial? by twisteddaNy(m): 12:25am On Jul 23, 2017
honestly I have the same issues op.....they simply can't fade away....we just have to work on our flaws.....
Re: Help, How Can Someone Stop Being Extremely Reserved And Antisocial? by Enavie(m): 9:04am On Jul 23, 2017
**cleared**
Re: Help, How Can Someone Stop Being Extremely Reserved And Antisocial? by Peachess(f): 9:48am On Jul 23, 2017
Enavie:
Hmm, don't expect a nice response from me.

First and foremost, it's written all over you. I browsed your profile, and all I can infer is that you chose to be this kind of person. Your ideology, its ingrained in it. However, you are not totally what you think you are, you have some interesting qualities you shouldn't throw away because you want to become social. Contact me on WhatsApp, let's talk better (number).
I didn't choose to be this person, if I did, I wouldn't have been seeking for help. No body chooses to have a bad habit, it's just develops due to negative experiences. It has affected me a lot, even psychologically.
You should remove your number, scammers everywhere.
Re: Help, How Can Someone Stop Being Extremely Reserved And Antisocial? by Enavie(m): 9:56am On Jul 23, 2017
Re: Help, How Can Someone Stop Being Extremely Reserved And Antisocial? by Peachess(f): 10:00am On Jul 23, 2017
Enavie:

Lol, what do I want to scam about you? Scam? I don't get it.
I didn't say you wanna scam me, I said you should remove your number before some scammers get hold of it.
Re: Help, How Can Someone Stop Being Extremely Reserved And Antisocial? by Enavie(m): 10:08am On Jul 23, 2017
Re: Help, How Can Someone Stop Being Extremely Reserved And Antisocial? by RoyalPriesthuud(m): 5:08pm On Oct 14, 2017
Peachess:
I don't really like bringing my problems online but it's really getting out of hand.
I'm extremely reserved, shy and antisocial. I find it difficult talking to strangers and people I'm not really close to. I've tried every method possible to come out of my shell but I'm still the same, I'm not improving.
I'm trying to start a carrier along with my studies, this path I'm trying to go into needs someone that's not shy (cos I'd face a lot of audience). I got selected in the first audition I went for, but I chickened out and didn't go back. My friends dragged me to another audition, I got selected again but I'm scared I'll chicken out again. They're not forcing me, I actually love it (I have a passion for it), but my personality sucks.
I've tried making new friends online (hoping it'll make me open up a little) but I'll stop talking to them for no reason. It really sucks, I don't like the truth but I'm antisocial and need to change.
Walepackage has said alot so I won't try to rewrite that. But I'll add that you have to get out of the online world and go into the real world. They are called 'social media' which is actually very untrue and misleading. Various studies have shown that these technologies that are meant to bring us together are actually drawing us apart. Instead of talking to your brother sitting with you on the couch, chatting with your classmates while waiting for the lecturer or exchanging a few words with the guy sitting next to you in the bus(activities that help us be more sociable), you will be online talking to a 'friend' in Kano and the other party is also talking with a friend in Moscow. It's a challenge we face as millennials and the people that learn to spend less time online and more time forming real world relationships will be happier and lead in their career paths. I'm assuming you spend a lot of time online while indoors, it's a drug a lot of us are addicted to. If you want to break it, go out more. Take walks in the evening if you live in a nice neighborhood, join a gym or a singing class outside of your local church, or join your local church choir if you are not a member yet, better still volunteer in your church's children church. All those places and others related will help you to go out more and meet new faces more. I must tell you before hand that building real relationships takes time. I am also in the journey. Search for 'Cal Newport: Quit Social Media Tedx' on YouTube. He made a really nice argument about reasons to quit. Good luck breaking out of your shell, gracias!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help, How Can Someone Stop Being Extremely Reserved And Antisocial? by Peachess(f): 6:32pm On Oct 14, 2017
RoyalPriesthuud:
Walepackage has said alot so I won't try to rewrite that. But I'll add that you have to get out of the online world and go into the real world. They are called 'social media' which is actually very untrue and misleading. Various studies have shown that these technologies that are meant to bring us together are actually drawing us apart. Instead of talking to your brother sitting with you on the couch, chatting with your classmates while waiting for the lecturer or exchanging a few words with the guy sitting next to you in the bus(activities that help us be more sociable), you will be online talking to a 'friend' in Kano and the other party is also talking with a friend in Moscow. It's a challenge we face as millennials and the people that learn to spend less time online and more time forming real world relationships will be happier and lead in their career paths. I'm assuming you spend a lot of time online while indoors, it's a drug a lot of us are addicted to. If you want to break it, go out more. Take walks in the evening if you live in a nice neighborhood, join a gym or a singing class outside of your local church, or join your local church choir if you are not a member yet, better still volunteer in your church's children church. All those places and others related will help you to go out more and meet new faces more. I must tell you before hand that building real relationships takes time. I am also in the journey. Search for 'Cal Newport: Quit Social Media Tedx' on YouTube. He made a really nice argument about reasons to quit. Good luck breaking out of your shell, gracias!
Thanks but I don't think I can quit social media tho, I've improved since I made the post. I had a lot of people that helped me out.
Re: Help, How Can Someone Stop Being Extremely Reserved And Antisocial? by saintvc(m): 8:09am On Oct 15, 2017
date a drama queen
Re: Help, How Can Someone Stop Being Extremely Reserved And Antisocial? by RoyalPriesthuud(m): 5:18pm On Oct 15, 2017
Peachess:

Thanks but I don't think I can quit social media tho, I've improved since I made the post. I had a lot of people that helped me out.
Okay, good to know. I didn't quit totally too, I use Facebook for business and stuff, so it's vital to me too, but the way I use it changed dramatically after reading Cal Newport. Good to know you made progress.
Re: Help, How Can Someone Stop Being Extremely Reserved And Antisocial? by AIZU(m): 5:53pm On Oct 15, 2017
Thats me cry
Re: Help, How Can Someone Stop Being Extremely Reserved And Antisocial? by mozele(m): 2:56am On Oct 25, 2017
Peachess:

hello sweetheart. I do not personally blame you for all this. It is obvious that you've been over-pampered from onset with things that had kept you off physical interaction with people.

You already have the answer to your problem within you. Its left for you to decide whether you'd like to continue in this lifestyle of you want to pave a way for a better one which you've always dreamt of.

You even have a skill most people would kill for --- your writing skill. The second one you'll need is...... Confidence. I am afraid the only way you can have confidence is to go out and get it.

Instead of opening another tap to search on google to see how you can build your confidence, I'll suggest you get engaged. No I am not talking about getting married, talking about getting involve in things like joining a music or dance group, a voluntary aid, or a even start an open work-out program. You'll lovw it.

And most especially, be calm. Remember those logics and dialogues you use when writing? Put them to play when having a conversation.

For Christ sake how do you even have conversation with your parent and siblings? Common use that charm also on outsiders.

Over and.... Out!

2 Likes

Re: Help, How Can Someone Stop Being Extremely Reserved And Antisocial? by Peachess(f): 6:53am On Oct 25, 2017
mozele:

hello sweetheart. I do not personally blame you for all this. It is obvious that you've been over-pampered from onset with things that had kept you off physical interaction with people.

You already have the answer to your problem within you. Its left for you to decide whether you'd like to continue in this lifestyle of you want to pave a way for a better one which you've always dreamt of.

You even have a skill most people would kill for --- your writing skill. The second one you'll need is...... Confidence. I am afraid the only way you can have confidence is to go out and get it.

Instead of opening another tap to search on google to see how you can build your confidence, I'll suggest you get engaged. No I am not talking about getting married, talking about getting involve in things like joining a music or dance group, a voluntary aid, or a even start an open work-out program. You'll lovw it.

And most especially, be calm. Remember those logics and dialogues you use when writing? Put them to play when having a conversation.

For Christ sake how do you even have conversation with your parent and siblings? Common use that charm also on outsiders.

Over and.... Out!
Thanks a lot, but I've made great improvement now, a lot of people helped me out. It's not really easy trying to converse with others the way I do with my family cos I grew up seeing/talking to them everyday them everyday. And about joining a group, I'm into modeling now and I do meet people when I go for casting or a photoshoot. This something I wouldn't have been able to do before. I guess I'm confident now...

(1) (Reply)

Public Library In Alausa Axis Of Ikeja / Check Out The Miracle Capsule That We Will Give You Six Packs With 21 Days / Popular owerri Entertainment Center Ibari Ogwa Up In Flames! (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.