Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,157 members, 7,818,503 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:27 PM

Top Ten Veterans In Nigeria Professional Football League - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Top Ten Veterans In Nigeria Professional Football League (14727 Views)

Top 10 Coaches In The Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) / Nigeria Professional Football League Table After Week 8 Sunday Games / These 2 Pictures Show What Players Face In The Nigeria Professional League (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top Ten Veterans In Nigeria Professional Football League by tillaman(m): 10:15am On Jul 24, 2017
Good
Re: Top Ten Veterans In Nigeria Professional Football League by Oildichotomy(m): 10:15am On Jul 24, 2017
Some Old pops gang there
Re: Top Ten Veterans In Nigeria Professional Football League by robosky02(m): 10:18am On Jul 24, 2017
good one
Re: Top Ten Veterans In Nigeria Professional Football League by woodmood: 10:18am On Jul 24, 2017
cheapgoals:
1. Rabiu Ali – Kano pillars

Another player over the age of 35, the midfielder won three NPFL titles with pillars between 2011 and 2014. The skipper of the Sai Masu Gida he has shown he becomes better like an old wine.

He won the latest version of the VAT wonder goal for his header against ABS in the match day 26 encounter in Ilorin. Apart from that, he scored a screamer against Remo stars in shagamu in another 1-1 draw to show he still has the spark despite being a 36 year old.

He was the captain of the B team of the super Eagles, leading them to third place at the 2014 CHAN in South Africa and also the 2016 edition where Nigeria dropped out at the group stage.

Other mentions are Adamu Muhammed, Dele Ajiboye, Cletus Itodo, King Osanga, Theophilus Afelokhai.

Good compilation but the list is incomplete without goalkeeper JOHN GAADI.
I think he should replace Ibinegbu on the list.

Once again, good job.
Re: Top Ten Veterans In Nigeria Professional Football League by donqx: 10:30am On Jul 24, 2017
good
Re: Top Ten Veterans In Nigeria Professional Football League by HAH: 10:31am On Jul 24, 2017
Sunday Rotimi was elkanemi goalkeeper in the late 90s

He should be in his forties now, salute my guy. Ali Rabiu claims 36 but he is over 40
Re: Top Ten Veterans In Nigeria Professional Football League by OYAY(m): 10:31am On Jul 24, 2017
Those running the league should bury their heads in shame for wasting these people away!!! Am sure none of them will have up to#1m in his account. Again I say shame on football administrators in Nigeria.
Re: Top Ten Veterans In Nigeria Professional Football League by Franchise21(m): 10:42am On Jul 24, 2017
Adekorya:
If this one is 27 years old, then Buhari is 40 years old.
I tire ooh
Re: Top Ten Veterans In Nigeria Professional Football League by Divay22(f): 10:43am On Jul 24, 2017
Op where are they now?
Re: Top Ten Veterans In Nigeria Professional Football League by Divay22(f): 10:43am On Jul 24, 2017
Op where are they now?
Re: Top Ten Veterans In Nigeria Professional Football League by cheapgoals(m): 10:55am On Jul 24, 2017
woodmood:

Good compilation but the list is incomplete without goalkeeper JOHN GAADI.
I think he should replace Ibinegbu on the list.

Once again, good job.

Thanks for the heads up
Re: Top Ten Veterans In Nigeria Professional Football League by cheapgoals(m): 11:06am On Jul 24, 2017
Divay22:
Op where are they now?

Most of em still playing in the NPFL

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top Ten Veterans In Nigeria Professional Football League by Amadaz(m): 11:10am On Jul 24, 2017
The reason for their long stay in the local scene can be attributed to the poor coaching they're exposed to. None of our local coaches even know their onion as regards the game of football. they inculcate a very wrong sense of football in these players which makes them unmarketable to foreign clubs. I forsee a drought of nigeria groomed players in europe and other advanced leauges in the nearest future as a result their ill football sense.
Re: Top Ten Veterans In Nigeria Professional Football League by VeniJu: 11:20am On Jul 24, 2017
abeg, some people still dey use ''football age'' for Npfl? Na wa oo.
Re: Top Ten Veterans In Nigeria Professional Football League by Lilcentt(f): 11:32am On Jul 24, 2017
their age weak me I swear
Re: Top Ten Veterans In Nigeria Professional Football League by Realhommie(m): 11:48am On Jul 24, 2017
risrisni:
come to think of it, I don't even know one among them
Obviously you belong to the indomie generation.. grin

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Veterans In Nigeria Professional Football League by Realhommie(m): 11:51am On Jul 24, 2017
Lilcentt:
their age weak me I swear
Lol, especially that Chinedu Udoji guy who started the list at number 10, how can he be 27 saying I'm older than him? As as how now?

And also the Sunday Rotimi, saying he's 37 years old, haba.. That guy is close to 50 i swear, hehehehehehehehehee..
Re: Top Ten Veterans In Nigeria Professional Football League by seunakin231(m): 12:12pm On Jul 24, 2017
No Victor Ezeji in this list
Re: Top Ten Veterans In Nigeria Professional Football League by tollyboy5(m): 1:11pm On Jul 24, 2017
Adekorya:
If this one is 27 years old, then Buhari is 40 years old.
you are bearing my surname you're from where?
Re: Top Ten Veterans In Nigeria Professional Football League by kjhova(m): 1:23pm On Jul 24, 2017
cheapgoals:
In the midst of the frequent search for greener pastures abroad by players in the Nigeria Professional Football League ( NPFL), there are few who by choice decided to stay and become legends of the local league.

Not many will be like Victor Ezeji who played for nine Npfl clubs in his career that spanned over 19 years from 1996 to 2015 with a one year stint at Club Africain in 2007.

While everybody adores a young player bursting through onto the scene and surprising the world, the NPFL has been blessed with some superb veterans throughout the years.

Today at Cheapgoals.com we look at players who have spent over 5 years in one or various NPFL clubs over the years in no particular order...

Source : http://cheapgoals.com/top-ten-veterans-in-nigeria-professional-football-league/

Nice one @OP.

Of course, many sad lads on NL will take the opportunity to pour thier sorrows on a great thread like this one because of their deliberate hate and ignorance. To some of us who have followed the NPFL over the years, we can only fee excited about this post.

If we have proper stats, I dare say that Gambo Mohammed would be shown to be the best striker EVER to grace our top flight league. He has been quite consistent with his goals ever since he joined Kano Pillars and his goal sense, positioning, powerful shot and head skills is second to none. Matter of fact, he has scored more goals in the local game than Rashidi Yekini, Segun Odegbami, Duke Udi et al. It is just unfortunate that he will be more remembered by most for his odd miss agaisnt Iker Cassillas at the FIFA Confed Cup Brazil 2013.
Re: Top Ten Veterans In Nigeria Professional Football League by kjhova(m): 1:34pm On Jul 24, 2017
cheapgoals:

10. Chinedu Udoji – Kano Pillars

For those who don’t follow the NPFL deeply and consistently, they may be forgiven to think the hefty defender is still with Enyimba.

However, the hard as a nail defender joined Pillars at the beginning of the season ending his association with the side he captained to the league title in 2015.

Hardly will anyone list top 5 defenders from the NPFL without the 27-year-old been listed, but the defender who has spent 10 years in the league, unfortunately, he hasn’t got a call up to the National team despite his exploits.

Source : http://cheapgoals.com/top-ten-veterans-in-nigeria-professional-football-league/

Dear @OP,

It is sad that the system we operate under in Nigeria will force someone like Chinedu Udoji to claim a dubious age. It is easy for most NL comments here to ridicule him for this yet many here are on thier jobs with falsified ages or at least some dubious document or claim or some other.
Re: Top Ten Veterans In Nigeria Professional Football League by cheapgoals(m): 1:51pm On Jul 24, 2017
kjhova:

Dear @OP,

It is sad that the system we operate under in Nigeria will force someone like Chinedu Udoji to claim a dubious age. It is easy for most NL comments here to ridicule him for this yet many here are on thier jobs with falsified ages or at least some dubious document or claim or some other.

You nail it man.. Such an hypocrite system
Re: Top Ten Veterans In Nigeria Professional Football League by cheapgoals(m): 2:00pm On Jul 24, 2017
kjhova:

Nice one @OP.

Of course, many sad lads on NL will take the opportunity to pour thier sorrows on a great thread like this one because of their deliberate hate and ignorance. To some of us who have followed the NPFL over the years, we can only fee excited about this post.

If we have proper stats, I dare say that Gambo Mohammed would be shown to be the best striker EVER to grace our top flight league. He has been quite consistent with his goals ever since he joined Kano Pillars and his goal sense, positioning, powerful shot and head skills is second to none. Matter of fact, he has scored more goals in the local game than Rashidi Yekini, Segun Odegbami, Duke Udi et al. It is just unfortunate that he will be more remembered by most for his odd miss agaisnt Iker Cassillas at the FIFA Confed Cup Brazil 2013.

You're right

You see most people don't follow and never wish to know more about the local league all in the name of making European leagues top priority than ours.. And when you provide them certain look in and insights on the NPFL what most of em do is criticize, look at the negative and all ..

We need to brand , publicized , hype even if its to over hype what we have.. Most of this European clubs we clamour on also has age cheats, bad administration and all..

A bit of support for the domestic league won't hurt

The blame is with the government ,organizers and the system in whole..
Re: Top Ten Veterans In Nigeria Professional Football League by kjhova(m): 2:39pm On Jul 24, 2017
cheapgoals:

You're right

You see most people don't follow and never wish to know more about the local league all in the name of making European leagues top priority than ours.. And when you provide them certain look in and insights on the NPFL what most of em do is criticize, look at the negative and all ..

We need to brand , publicized , hype even if its to over hype what we have.. Most of this European clubs we clamour on also has age cheats, bad administration and all..

A bit of support for the domestic league won't hurt

The blame is with the government ,organizers and the system in whole..

Do you know the funny thing? Many folks who deride the NPFL and praise the Europeans to high heavens always only refer to the EPL, La Liga, German Bundesliga, Serie A and the French Ligue Une. Many people here have never seen a full game of the Austrian Bundesliga or any game from leagues in Hungary, Finland, Bulgaria etc before.

All football leagues in the world can never have the same high profile no matter how well run. I don't expect that the NPFL must match the EPL before I regard it and watch the games with pride. Folks in Austria throng to the stadium to watch Red Bull Salzburg vs SV Kapfenberg despite that these clubs may never become Manchester United or Bayern Munich. My best mate works in Shagamu and he hardly misses Remo Stars' home games even though the team isn't doing well.

This is the beauty of football...and this is what many Nigerians who are now addicted to television football from urope miss out on.
Re: Top Ten Veterans In Nigeria Professional Football League by cheapgoals(m): 12:53am On Jul 25, 2017
kjhova:

Do you know the funny thing? Many folks who deride the NPFL and praise the Europeans to high heavens always only refer to the EPL, La Liga, German Bundesliga, Serie A and the French Ligue Une. Many people here have never seen a full game of the Austrian Bundesliga or any game from leagues in Hungary, Finland, Bulgaria etc before.

All football leagues in the world can never have the same high profile no matter how well run. I don't expect that the NPFL must match the EPL before I regard it and watch the games with pride. Folks in Austria throng to the stadium to watch Red Bull Salzburg vs SV Kapfenberg despite that these clubs may never become Manchester United or Bayern Munich. My best mate works in Shagamu and he hardly misses Remo Stars' home games even though the team isn't doing well.

This is the beauty of football...and this is what many Nigerians who are now addicted to television football from Europe miss out on.

Your points re so valid... Thumbs UP

(1) (2) (Reply)

WAFCON Qualifier: Ify Onumonu's Brace Gives Nigeria Victory Over Ivory Coast / Deontay wilder Vs Tyson fury 3am Nigerian time on super sport 1 dstv / NPFL: Enyimba Fc Vs Heartland Fc (2 - 0) On 17th June 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.