Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,963 members, 7,810,669 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:04 PM

Speedometer Stops Working, Odometer Reading Wipe Off, Toyota Camry 1999 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Speedometer Stops Working, Odometer Reading Wipe Off, Toyota Camry 1999 (4080 Views)

4 Signs Of A Faulty Speedometer Sensor / Odometer And Speedometer Stops Showing At High Temperature Weather On Camry 98 / How To Check Odometer Fraud And How It Works In A Vechicle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Speedometer Stops Working, Odometer Reading Wipe Off, Toyota Camry 1999 by keleto(m): 10:38am On Jul 24, 2017
Pls gurus help me out. After driving my 1999 camry car for 20mins,or if left in the sun for some time, when I want to drive, the speedometer would not work again, the odometer readings would be wipe off and the gear won't select again. Pls help me out
Re: Speedometer Stops Working, Odometer Reading Wipe Off, Toyota Camry 1999 by keleto(m): 1:10pm On Jul 24, 2017
Pls I need response
Re: Speedometer Stops Working, Odometer Reading Wipe Off, Toyota Camry 1999 by mayor2013: 7:08pm On Jul 24, 2017
Run a scan on your car. Have your scan result and post scan result here

1 Like

Re: Speedometer Stops Working, Odometer Reading Wipe Off, Toyota Camry 1999 by arcbaba: 7:36pm On Jul 24, 2017
keleto:
Pls gurus help me out. After driving my 1999 camry car for 20mins,or if left in the sun for some time, when I want to drive, the speedometer would not work again, the odometer readings would be wipe off and the gear won't select again. Pls help me out

I had a similar problem problem with my camry 1999, with a little research I got the problem solves. The first thing I did was to change the speedometer clock/cluster completely, u can get 1 to buy from between 6k - 8k, do a complete change. if after dat u still notice the speedometer clock (not odometer) itself malfunctioning at high speed then u need to change the speed sensor ( its located on the gear box) it cost between 3k - 6k depending on your source. after this your car will be fine!. for some people after changing the speedometer clock everything will work for others till u change both. so goodluck!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Speedometer Stops Working, Odometer Reading Wipe Off, Toyota Camry 1999 by keleto(m): 10:16am On Jul 25, 2017
arcbaba:

I had a similar problem problem with my camry 1999, with a little research I got the problem solves. The first thing I did was to change the speedometer clock/cluster completely, u can get 1 to buy from between 6k - 8k, do a complete change. if after dat u still notice the speedometer clock (not odometer) itself malfunctioning at high speed then u need to change the speed sensor ( its located on the gear box) it cost between 3k - 6k depending on your source. after this your car will be fine!. for some people after changing the speedometer clock everything will work for others till u change both. so goodluck!

Thanks very much sir.
I did change the speedometer clock (whole unit before. It worked fine for one month and the problem reappeared. From your advice, I will change the speed sensor.
Are u in portharcourt?
Re: Speedometer Stops Working, Odometer Reading Wipe Off, Toyota Camry 1999 by honmusa(m): 11:47am On Jul 25, 2017
before you start to buy any parts ,scan the car first and check for P500 codes and check for abs wheel speed sensor malfunction.
Depending on the model of Camry ,some get their speedometer signal for abs sensor and some get theirs from the vss(vehicle speed sensor ) on the transmission .Find out which category your car belong to before swapping any sensor!!!
Re: Speedometer Stops Working, Odometer Reading Wipe Off, Toyota Camry 1999 by keleto(m): 5:18pm On Jul 25, 2017
honmusa:
before you start to buy any parts ,scan the car first and check for P500 codes and check for abs wheel speed sensor malfunction.
Depending on the model of Camry ,some get their speedometer signal for abs sensor and some get theirs from the vss(vehicle speed sensor ) on the transmission .Find out which category your car belong to before swapping any sensor!!!

Thanks. I did a scan before now. And it was shown ABS. The ABS LIGHT still showing up till now. But the electrician I took the car to said ABS showing up on the dashboard is not a problem.
So do you thinks this problem with my car could be ABS WHEEL SPEED SENSOR. or I should do a scan again
Re: Speedometer Stops Working, Odometer Reading Wipe Off, Toyota Camry 1999 by honmusa(m): 6:43pm On Jul 25, 2017
keleto:

Thanks. I did a scan before now. And it was shown ABS. The ABS LIGHT still showing up till now. But the electrician I took the car to said ABS showing up on the dashboard is not a problem.
So do you thinks this problem with my car could be ABS WHEEL SPEED SENSOR. or I should do a scan again
Do a scan again and try to fix the ABS issue .Scanning Camry 2000 ABS might require much more skill cos it is obd1 system ,your electrician might not be equiped to do better justice in diagnosing the ABS issue .Seek for a professional around your area that can fix this .
Re: Speedometer Stops Working, Odometer Reading Wipe Off, Toyota Camry 1999 by captainking(m): 6:49pm On Jul 25, 2017
arcbaba:

Thanks for this Bro.. My speedometer and odometer ain't even working.
Re: Speedometer Stops Working, Odometer Reading Wipe Off, Toyota Camry 1999 by keleto(m): 9:01pm On Jul 25, 2017
honmusa:

Do a scan again and try to fix the ABS issue .Scanning Camry 2000 ABS might require much more skill cos it is obd1 system ,your electrician might not be equiped to do better justice in diagnosing the ABS issue .Seek for a professional around your area that can fix this .

Thanks. I will have to look for good scanner in portharcourt
Re: Speedometer Stops Working, Odometer Reading Wipe Off, Toyota Camry 1999 by arcbaba: 10:27pm On Jul 25, 2017
Well since I changed both the problem disappeared so I hope it works for u too. I found this solution online, tried it and it worked,
Re: Speedometer Stops Working, Odometer Reading Wipe Off, Toyota Camry 1999 by honmusa(m): 11:21pm On Jul 25, 2017
keleto:

Thanks. I will have to look for good scanner in portharcourt
Re: Speedometer Stops Working, Odometer Reading Wipe Off, Toyota Camry 1999 by keleto(m): 10:29am On Jul 26, 2017
I will look at all the options
Re: Speedometer Stops Working, Odometer Reading Wipe Off, Toyota Camry 1999 by keleto(m): 12:27pm On Jul 26, 2017
arcbaba:
Well since I changed both the problem disappeared so I hope it works for u too. I found this solution online, tried it and it worked,

I went to see an auto scanner this morning,. At first he asked me to disconnect the ABS socket inside the bonnet, then he told me to drive it and check if the gear will select. This I did and the gear was selecting well. He then said there is no need to scan, that I should go and replace the ABS MODULE. now am confused.
Re: Speedometer Stops Working, Odometer Reading Wipe Off, Toyota Camry 1999 by mayor2013: 2:38pm On Jul 26, 2017
keleto:

I went to see an auto scanner this morning,. At first he asked me to disconnect the ABS socket inside the bonnet, then he told me to drive it and check if the gear will select. This I did and the gear was selecting well. He then said there is no need to scan, that I should go and replace the ABS MODULE. now am confused.

When confusation sets in grin
Re: Speedometer Stops Working, Odometer Reading Wipe Off, Toyota Camry 1999 by honmusa(m): 3:16pm On Jul 26, 2017
keleto:

No need to scan because he doesn't know to diagnose ABS on obd1 ,and he doesn't understand how those system relate to one another ,just an excuse to cover up for his ignorance!!!kazeem is just everywhere !!!

1 Like

Re: Speedometer Stops Working, Odometer Reading Wipe Off, Toyota Camry 1999 by hidee20(m): 4:21pm On Jan 20, 2020
keleto:

Good evening bro, please I'm experiencing this same issue. How did you resolve it,thanks.

1 Like

Re: Speedometer Stops Working, Odometer Reading Wipe Off, Toyota Camry 1999 by charcoal(m): 4:59pm On Jan 20, 2020
Some Toyota Models Odometers Stop at 299,999 Miles
Re: Speedometer Stops Working, Odometer Reading Wipe Off, Toyota Camry 1999 by autologic: 8:22am On Jan 21, 2020
hidee20:

Good evening bro, please I'm experiencing this same issue. How did you resolve it,thanks.
Vehicle speed signal not available

Re: Speedometer Stops Working, Odometer Reading Wipe Off, Toyota Camry 1999 by hidee20(m): 1:57pm On Jan 21, 2020
autologic:

Vehicle speed signal not available

It's present but do you think increase in temperature can make it fail till there is a drop in temperature?.
Re: Speedometer Stops Working, Odometer Reading Wipe Off, Toyota Camry 1999 by autologic: 7:13pm On Jan 21, 2020
hidee20:

It's present but do you think increase in temperature can make it fail till there is a drop in temperature?.
Note that I mentioned signal not the availability of sensor ,It is present doesn't mean it is producing it's intended signal .VSS produces square signal and u need equipment that view the waveform to see it
Re: Speedometer Stops Working, Odometer Reading Wipe Off, Toyota Camry 1999 by hidee20(m): 9:19pm On Jan 21, 2020
autologic:

Note that I mentioned signal not the availability of sensor ,It is present doesn't mean it is producing it's intended signal .VSS produces square signal and u need equipment that view the waveform to see it

Thanks for your reply, should I change the sensor or scan the car first?.
Re: Speedometer Stops Working, Odometer Reading Wipe Off, Toyota Camry 1999 by autologic: 9:42pm On Jan 21, 2020
hidee20:

I didn't say u shd change sensor just like that , I am totally against part changing without getting to the root of issues ,the procedure is this :
troubleshoot first ,checking for the expected signal and from their ,u will the know the next agenda to follow .Let a professional technician handle this job for you cos it is beyond diy and mere scanning -hunting for dtc codes .
Re: Speedometer Stops Working, Odometer Reading Wipe Off, Toyota Camry 1999 by MayorSchwags(m): 2:39pm On Feb 24, 2020
hidee20:

Hi pls help a brother out. How were you able to fix yours
Re: Speedometer Stops Working, Odometer Reading Wipe Off, Toyota Camry 1999 by hidee20(m): 3:05pm On Jul 29, 2020
MayorSchwags:

Hi pls help a brother out. How were you able to fix yours

Just got back online and I know this is late but it might help another person later.
I did a lot of research online and offline before I changed the speedometer in the instrument cluster and that solved my issue but just as autologic has advised it's a system consisting of different parts and components and any of the components might be culprit.
Re: Speedometer Stops Working, Odometer Reading Wipe Off, Toyota Camry 1999 by tabisegroup(m): 8:44am On Nov 24, 2022
keleto:

Same problem I'm facing now. Please what is the solution?

(1) (Reply)

What's Wrong With This Vehicle? / 07-10 Toyota Camry Muscle / How Do I Solve The Problem Of Premium Fuel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.