Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,822,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:33 AM

Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! (16731 Views)

Be Fresh Looking. Tips On How To Say Bye To Shaving Bumps. / Hair Growth & Baldness Treatment For Black Men.stop Your Hair Loss Now! / Hard Curly Hair And Shaving Bumps! Any Cure? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! by annekix(m): 6:29am On Feb 07, 2010
Dont you just hate those ingrown hairs guys, they can be a real annoying nightmare!!!!

some ignorant person said it happens to only dirty people,  well i think thats really silly as ingrown hairs affects a large percentage of africans and leads to bumps even if you bathe ten times a day!

this is a serious and painfully distressing issue for me ( and i'm sure for most men out there) and i'm tired of it!

i mean, you want to shave but you know it'll grow back,
and if you dont shave, it'll still grow back bigger and get worse,
ARRRGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what remedies have the guys tried,
drugs, vitamins, creams, shaving and grooming tips,Prayers,voodoo (just kidding),Anything!!!! cry
Please, just drop comments on what works for you!
thanks!
Re: Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! by Nobody: 10:47am On Feb 07, 2010
Try seeing your GP, they may help. Black people have such bumps because of the coarse and curly nature of our hair which grows inwards. You may also want to shave once a week too to give yourself a break.
Re: Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! by denzel2009: 11:09am On Feb 07, 2010
You need to exfoliate to unclog the pores every night.
Re: Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! by snowdrops(m): 11:10am On Feb 07, 2010
Ebonyeyes:

Try seeing your GP, they may help. Black people have such bumps because of the coarse and curly nature of our hair which grows inwards. You may also want to shave once a week too to give yourself a break.
Coarse it is but curly no.
Re: Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! by Nobody: 11:19am On Feb 07, 2010
@post
never ever happened to me because i have never shaved with a razor but instead i shave with an electric razor. et voila!
Re: Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! by annekix(m): 3:31pm On Feb 07, 2010
@ MRbrownJAY
Your right i think the bump nightmare started when i first shaved with a gillete razor back in Uni ( damn those gillete adverts!! angry)
ever since then it became a re-occurring thing,  cry

i wish i could go back in time and stop myself from shaving,
i'd be like:
   Noooooo!!   
         You dont know what your doing!
                     Put down the weapon razor!!!!!!

@ Ebonyeyes
er not to sound racist or any thing but would a white Gp know how to advice africanz on skin care
it's just like goin to a white barbers shop and asking for a haircut or dreadlocks they'd have the most confused looks on their faces.
thats my problem with that, lol

:@ denzel2009
hmm thats something i havent thot of i just may try that! thnx

thnx 4 ur comments
Re: Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! by Nobody: 4:22pm On Feb 07, 2010
Oh dear, wasnt aware of the fact that you were in the UK. The electrical razor is good thats what my brother uses. Exfoliation is the keey here because your pores are blocked. Try not shaving for a full week or two until the problem corrects itself (apologize to everyone for looking like a mad unwashed man grin)
Re: Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! by ruskiee(m): 6:07pm On Feb 07, 2010
Get yourself an electric razor- or those small ones that are rechargeable.
I never use a razor, because i don't go for that clean shaven look.
Re: Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! by Nobody: 7:28pm On Feb 07, 2010
ruskiee:

Get yourself an electric razor- or those small ones that are rechargeable.
I never use a razor, because i don't go for that clean shaven look.

depending on what electric razor you use, you can get that clean shave with electric ones too!
Re: Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! by annekix(m): 11:07pm On Feb 07, 2010
@ Ebonyeyes

Lmao,  i'm putting up a warning on my facebook page to my friends rite now
                  "  Dear friends, During the next 2 weeks do not be alarmed to see my face resembling that of a crazed lunatic
                    i am just trying out a new grooming tip ( i apologize for any inconveniences caused ). "

@ ruskiee & MRbrownJAY

its that clean shaved look promised by razors that deceived me in the first place and started this trouble !
I should sue gillette and david beckham, hiss, nonsense!

they should have at least put a notice on the razor pack saying:
    (The federal ministry of health warns that although product will produce a clean shave but After wards might lead to ingrown, sandpaper like bumps, especially if your are of African descent.)

has any one tried shaving powders or razorless shaving creams?
Re: Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! by Nobody: 11:11pm On Feb 07, 2010
lol grin grin grin Those options look good, you could try them. I guess men have their own worries too huh?
Re: Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! by denzel2009: 12:19am On Feb 08, 2010
Babyliss is just £20, it will give u a baby bum of a face. grin
Re: Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! by annekix(m): 12:34am On Feb 08, 2010
@ Denzel.
just checked out the site http://www.babyliss.co.uk/

ARghhhh!!!! no!!!!the models a Caucasian!
not another trimmer used by another white model!!!!,
i'm not racist o, but a white guys hair grows differently,
Re: Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! by denzel2009: 12:46am On Feb 08, 2010
but I use babyliss motorised and the last time I checked,I am a black caucasian. If you check Argos, dont be going directly to their site,they d have forgotten they produced it.
Re: Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! by annekix(m): 12:52am On Feb 08, 2010
okay, before going to Argos i'll check if its cheaper on amazon or ebay, lol

since you havnt had problems wit it denzel , i guess its all right (i hope)

so, exfoliating and babyliss eh?
I hereby declare war on my face,
lol. thanks guys.
Re: Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! by obua: 12:18am On Feb 09, 2010
I use bump patrol after shave and it is quite good for me. Before I discovered it, I had tried several others without success
Re: Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! by ucheawesom: 3:22am On Feb 09, 2010
Please wats exfoliation and how is it done?
my guy has a similar issue and i so detest that thing.we need a solution.
he was using razor/clipper for shaving b4 but currently using shaving cream but no improvement.
Re: Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! by Nobody: 1:08pm On Feb 09, 2010
Exfoliation involves the removal of the oldest dead skin cells on the skin's outermost surface, and has been used for many years to help maintain the skin. Exfoliation is involved in the process of a facial and during body treatments at spas. Exfoliation can be achieved through mechanical or chemical means.

Chemical exfoliants include scrubs containing salicylic acid, glycolic acid, fruit enzymes, citric acid, or malic acid which may be applied in high concentrations by a dermatologist, or in lower concentrations in over-the-counter products. Chemical exfoliation may involve the use of products that contain alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) or beta hydroxy acids (BHAs), or enzymes that act to loosen the glue-like substance that holds the cells together, allowing them to ease away. This type of exfoliation is recommended for people treating acne. In beauty spa treatment on continental Europe the chemical properties of wine producing grapes are exploited in the practice of Vinotherapy which is becoming increasingly popular.
Re: Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! by annekix(m): 2:34pm On Feb 09, 2010
Ebonyeyes has said it all, in summary its the removal of dead skin cells and unclogging of blocked pores to reveal new smooth skin underneath,

here are some popular facial scrubs,
er i personally think i'm gonna look for the one one the rite
cuz its oil free and contains salycitic acid
" who woulda thot that me, a guy would go around asking for this in the market, jeez", lol.

Re: Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! by dominique(f): 2:40pm On Feb 09, 2010
@poster
apart from using electric razor instead of manual, you should refrain from scratching that area though it irritates the skin a lot. scratching encourages spread of the bumps.
Re: Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! by denzel2009: 2:42pm On Feb 09, 2010
annekix:

Ebonyeyes has said it all, in summary its the removal of dead skin cells and unclogging of blocked pores to reveal new smooth skin underneath,

here are some popular facial scrubs,
er i personally think i'm gonna look for the one one the rite
cuz its oil free and contains salycitic acid
" who woulda thot that me, a guy would go around asking for this in the market, jeez", lol.

You need not ask, just go to superdrug,pick it and pay. I can assure you no one would bat an ayelid.
Re: Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! by annekix(m): 4:23pm On Feb 09, 2010
"You need not ask, just go to superdrug,pick it and pay. I can assure you no one would bat an ayelid."

superdrug??u serious??,
, and here i was running around looking for an Afro-Caribbean shop,

but it'll be pretty messed up if i meet some guy cashier who goes ahead and writes his phone number at the back of the receipt and writes
"CALL ME, HANDSOME", in bold leters, lol.
Re: Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! by denzel2009: 4:29pm On Feb 09, 2010
annekix:

superdrug??u serious??,
, and here i was running around looking for an Afro-Caribbean shop,

but it'll be pretty messed up if i meet some guy cashier who goes ahead and writes his phone number at the back of the receipt and writes
"CALL ME, HANDSOME", in bold leters, lol.

Be adventurous and have some bumfun!
Re: Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! by annekix(m): 5:29pm On Feb 09, 2010
eh, ?
bum wetin?
annekix does sign of the cross and runz away!,
Re: Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! by Nobody: 5:33pm On Feb 09, 2010
Yall are crazy. You can find such exfoliants in boots or superdrug and no one will raise an eyelid, if they do you can always say its for the gf wink wink wink
Re: Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! by annekix(m): 1:07am On Feb 10, 2010
hey guy's, i have a theory
i think i know the cause of all the bumps and acne i've been getting,

you see normally i'm normally acne proned and used to having a few bumps here and there, but men ever since i got to the uk they seem to have gone from bad to extremely worse.

i asked my self what major change may have resulted in this?

the weather, the food?,

then it hit me, it's the water!

why?,
back in naija i used to boil water, or buy pure water bags at home

but here, i started drinking straight from the tap, ( cuz the water treatment system is on point )

but i noticed something,

i checked the electric kettle and normal kettle, and noticed white scales,

i remembered my secondary school days when we were taught about HARD water and SOFT water!

the water i've been bathing and drinking must be crystal clear pure HARD water, it's pure and clear but hard as hell!

so i looked it up on google , searched these key words--->>> - hardness of water acne - on google

and i got some results, i was shocked!

http://acnereview.biz/acne/2009/09/01/hard-water-and-acne-breakouts/

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Get-Rid-of-Acne---Hard-vs-Soft-Water

http://www.makeuptalk.com/forums/f12/hard-water-causing-acne-31506.html

some scientific sturvs i gathered,

Hard water is a term used to describe water with a high mineral content. It is estimated that over eighty percent of American homes are outfitted to receive such water. The most prevalent minerals in this type of water are Calcium and Magnesium. Hard water presents a number of challenges in maintaining healthy skin. The significant mineral content, for one, degrades water's ability to act as an effective solvent in removing soap from the skin. Have you ever wondered why you have trouble lathering soap in the shower? On a basic level, the soap reacts with the minerals in the water to form soap scum, instead of suds. The soap, instead of helping remove dirt and grime from your skin, creates a nice layer atop it instead. This soap scum also accumulates on your bathroom doors and fixtures.

As most of us know, soap induces a drying effect. Naturally, the longer you allow it to linger on the skin, the more it will dry it out. Hard water allows for just this. The soap scum dries the skin out nicely, aggravating it. Irritated skin is a major risk factor for acne. The unrinsed soap scum can also make its way into your pores, eventually causing breakouts. This effect is aided by taking warm showers, which open your pores.

If hard water is so damaging, why is it that we continue to use it? Hard water is not as corrosive to plumbing as is soft water. However, in exchange, homeowners are left to deal with mineral deposits, which can be just as damaging. These deposits can accumulate in piping causing a wide array of issues.

There may be ultimately a financial motive in maintaining a hard water supply. Distilling water can be an expensive and laborious process. As long as people are unaware of the potentially harmful effects of hard water, there is little reason to tamper with it. However, there is strong indication that hard water is ill-fit for skin care.
___________________________________________________________________________________

any how i think thats the main root of my problem,
even from back home in naija sef,

i just have to figure out how to soften the water be fore bathing and drinking,

i reckon going back to boiling my drinking water (or buying tesco value water, *sigh*) which is the best option

boiling my bathing water as well adding adding a lil salt,

so if you or any of your friends have been having unusual acne break outs, this may just be the problem

oh and it causes dandruff too can u imagine, ?

this could be a cool final yr project for somebody, lol,
Re: Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! by agathamari(f): 12:07pm On Feb 10, 2010
Ebonyeyes:

all races get ingrown hairs dear
Re: Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! by BUMPDOC: 2:36pm On Jan 27, 2012
All Shavers dealing with Shaving bumps are encouraged to check out the Press Release by BREEJ Technologies

Note
BREEJ BUMP TERMINATOR for Severe Bumps and Back of Head Bumps is now available in Nigeria through Orangila Nigeria
www.orangila.com

NAFDAC Reg No.: # 02-6821
Net Content: 200 mL
Product has a PETG Full Body Tamper Evident/Tamper Resistant Shrink Wrap
Product Photo Attached

ORANGILA INTEGRATED SERVICES LTD;
6, Jibowu St, Yaba, Lagos
Contact - Martin 0703-408-0142
Cosmas on 0708-177-1070
Kenneth on 0809-940-9848
kachis_kaosi@yahoo.co.uk
www.Orangila.com

Click on link below and then request a copy of the FREE Shaving Guide

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/1/prweb9122926.htm

Science of Shaving® Bump Treatment and Shaving Guide for Men issued by BREEJ Technologies.
BREEJ Technologies, developer of the BUMP ZAPPER and BUMP TERMINATOR branded Anti Bump Products, announced today the availability of the free definitive Science of Shaving® Bump Treatment and Shaving Guide for Men http://www.ScienceofShaving.com. The free guide: “Science of Shaving® - Bump Treatment and Shaving Guide for men, details how shaving bumps and ingrown hairs are caused, how to quickly resolve existing shaving bumps and how to shave your face, neck area and head. A PDF copy can be requested by visiting: http://www.ScienceofShaving.com

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/1/prweb9122926.htm

Re: Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! by Moneyman101: 2:41pm On Jul 30, 2014
Bumps are complex. All depends on

1. What you shave with
2. How you shave
3. When you shave
4. What you do after you shave

For me, I think it may be better not to shave at all.

Check out this website, has some info: www.blackbumps.com
Re: Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jun 12, 2015
annekix:
Dont you just hate those ingrown hairs guys, they can be a real annoying nightmare!!!!

some ignorant person said it happens to only dirty people,  well i think thats really silly as ingrown hairs affects a large percentage of africans and leads to bumps even if you bathe ten times a day!

this is a serious and painfully distressing issue for me ( and i'm sure for most men out there) and i'm tired of it!

i mean, you want to shave but you know it'll grow back,
and if you dont shave, it'll still grow back bigger and get worse,
ARRRGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what remedies have the guys tried,
drugs, vitamins, creams, shaving and grooming tips,Prayers,voodoo (just kidding),Anything!!!! cry
Please, just drop comments on what works for you!
thanks!

I know something that might work for you cos it's worked for the ingrown hairs on my face and underarm.
I understand how you feel.
Holler at flossyray@gmail.com

(1) (Reply)

Where To Buy Natural Garcinia Cambogia Pills In Nigeria / Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection / Lagos Discharges Four More Coronavirus Patients

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.