Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,576 members, 7,820,070 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:17 AM

Should Nigeria Grant Morroco's Request To Join ECOWAS? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Nigeria Grant Morroco's Request To Join ECOWAS? (1631 Views)

Should Nigeria Grant Biafra Independence / Pictures Of President Muhammadu Buhari In Morroco / Reps Discuss Nigeria's Position On Morocco's Plan To Join ECOWAS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Nigeria Grant Morroco's Request To Join ECOWAS? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jul 24, 2017
Nigerian lobby groups asks government to reject application
Africa is ‘centerpiece’ of Nigeria’s foreign policy : Onyeama
​The Economic Community of West African States is studying the implications of admitting Morocco following its request last month to join the organization, Nigeria’s Foreign Affairs Minister Geoffrey Onyeama said.

Morocco’s request was accepted “in principle” by leaders of the group known as Ecowas at a June 4 summit in the Liberian capital, Monrovia.

“The principle of course is one of non-hostility to Morocco,” Onyeama said in an interview in the Nigerian capital, Abuja, on July 20. “There’s no enmity there that would mean an immediate and automatic negative response to such a request. What has to be looked at a bit more is all the technical ramifications.”

Still, Nigeria didn’t send a high-level delegation to the Ecowas summit after it emerged that Morocco would present its request to join the 15-member bloc. “We would’ve preferred to have had the opportunity to discuss internally and this was not given by the Ecowas secretariat,” Onyeama said.

Several Nigerian lobby groups, including an organization of retired ambassadors, are putting pressure on the Nigerian government to reject the application because of the decades-old dispute over Western Sahara and Morocco’s geographical distance. Nigeria recognizes the Western Sahara as an independent nation, while Morocco claims it as part of its territory.

‘Economic Diplomacy’

Onyeama, 61, served as deputy director-general of the World Intellectual Property Organization before his appointment as foreign affairs minister in 2015. He sees “economic diplomacy” as part of his role as Nigeria struggles to wean itself off its dependence on crude, he said. The country went through its worst economic contraction in a quarter of a century last year as a plunge in the price and output of its main export took a toll.

Africa is “the centerpiece” of Nigerian foreign policy under President Muhammadu Buhari, Onyeama said, citing Nigeria’s role in a military intervention in Gambia this year, its involvement in peace missions in Darfur, Somalia and South Sudan, and its support for the establishment of a rapid deployment force for the continent.

Nigeria is against African nations leaving the International Criminal Court because the continent has “no mechanism for holding leaders to account,” he said. South Africa and Burundi announced plans last year to leave the court because it has mainly brought African leaders to trial. South Africa revoked its decision this year following a local ruling that declared the proposed pullout unconstitutional.

Relations with South Africa are particularly important to Nigeria for driving Africa’s development, which is why they both have a “bi-national commission” represented at the presidential level, according to Onyeama. It was useful in resolving issues around Nigerians affected by xenophobic attacks in South Africa and there’s a joint-monitoring mechanism now in place to track developments, he said.

https://defensenigeria./2017/07/24/nigeria-says-ecowas-studying-ramifications-of-morocco-membership/
Source :
Re: Should Nigeria Grant Morroco's Request To Join ECOWAS? by whitebeard(m): 9:36pm On Jul 24, 2017
Nooooooo, that illuminati nation, maybe KANU will say otherwise cause he is also a brand ambassador of that symbol...nnamdi KANU people would speak for him and if u (biafrans) somehow like beating me, I'm in ma house come and beat me. tongue
Re: Should Nigeria Grant Morroco's Request To Join ECOWAS? by Blue3k(m): 9:40pm On Jul 24, 2017
No how does ECOWAS benefit and it could hinder our position as Economic hegemony. We don't need them I'm ECOWAS to benefit from trade deals.
Re: Should Nigeria Grant Morroco's Request To Join ECOWAS? by GrandGarcon: 9:41pm On Jul 24, 2017
It is only a matter of when Morroco will join, not if. Nigeria is not Ecowas, Ecowas is not Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Should Nigeria Grant Morroco's Request To Join ECOWAS? by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jul 24, 2017
But if Morocco is granted membership Nigerians can travel freely to Morocco without any visa to snatch their women.

1 Like

Re: Should Nigeria Grant Morroco's Request To Join ECOWAS? by Blue3k(m): 11:05pm On Jul 24, 2017
SSBN:
But if Morocco is granted membership Nigerians can travel freely to Morocco without any visa to snatch their women.

Yes.

1 Like

Re: Should Nigeria Grant Morroco's Request To Join ECOWAS? by freshest4live: 11:31pm On Jul 24, 2017
Blue3k:
No how does ECOWAS benefit and it could hinder our position as Economic hegemony. We don't need them I'm ECOWAS to benefit from trade deals.
Looking at it from another angle, l think Buhari may have had a huge influence on this decision by ECOWAS, because of the Nigerian-Morocco gas pipeline project as well as the fertilizer project that would benefit 300 million west africans. Note also that Nigeria has been under pressure by the other ECOWAS member nations to sign the EPA. Morocco has already signed the EPA, and with Morocco in, their trade and market as a gateway to Europe would ease pressure from these countries on Nigeria for some years as regards EPA, before she at least gets ready to sign the EPA.
The Moroccan king is wise, his first strategy was to establish strong ties with Buhari through the gas and fertilizer partnership.
Morroco has her own selfish interest in all of these, which is clear, hence there are advantages and disadvantages.

2 Likes

Re: Should Nigeria Grant Morroco's Request To Join ECOWAS? by Blue3k(m): 11:49pm On Jul 24, 2017
freshest4live:

Looking at it from another angle, l think Buhari may have had a huge influence on this decision by ECOWAS, because of the Nigerian-Morocco gas pipeline project as well as the fertilizer project that would benefit 300 million west africans. Note also that Nigeria has been under pressure by the other ECOWAS member nations to sign the EPA. Morocco has already signed the EPA, and with Morocco in, their trade and market as a gateway to Europe would ease pressure from these countries on Nigeria for some years as regards EPA, before she at least gets ready to sign the EPA.
The Moroccan king is wise, his first strategy was to establish strong ties with Buhari through the gas and fertilizer partnership.
Morroco has her own selfish interest in all of these, which is clear, hence there are advantages and disadvantages.

OK I can dig that scenario.
Re: Should Nigeria Grant Morroco's Request To Join ECOWAS? by freshest4live: 12:00am On Jul 25, 2017
GrandGarcon:
It is only a matter of when Morroco will join, not if. Nigeria is not Ecowas, Ecowas is not Nigeria.
Yeah, l think you would also find this interesting. Probably a write up from a Gambian and a plea to ECOWAS not to let in Morocco.
https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.kaironews.com/keep-morocco-out-of-ecowas/&ved=0ahUKEwj16sq9gqPVAhUiCsAKHWoRC1IQFggnMAQ&usg=AFQjCNHWLl0OMxkDmLA_fjonl0ltNlHsFQ

1 Like

Re: Should Nigeria Grant Morroco's Request To Join ECOWAS? by wordcat(m): 12:03am On Jul 25, 2017
Western Sahara?

Palestine??

Biafra

Morocco and Israel requesting to join ECOWAS;

Pay Back Loading..............,

1 Like

Re: Should Nigeria Grant Morroco's Request To Join ECOWAS? by Odunayaw(m): 3:15am On Jul 25, 2017
freshest4live:

Most of your early sentences is like looking at this matter through viju milk straw

There are lots of disadvantages I kid you not but hey West Africa is already full of countries not being able to fulfil some obligations so I expect them to jump on this
I can only feel pity for the Sahrawis ..their future is about to get sold
Re: Should Nigeria Grant Morroco's Request To Join ECOWAS? by GrandGarcon: 6:12am On Jul 25, 2017
freshest4live:

Yeah, l think you would also find this interesting. Probably a write up from a Gambian and a plea to ECOWAS not to let in Morocco.
https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.kaironews.com/keep-morocco-out-of-ecowas/&ved=0ahUKEwj16sq9gqPVAhUiCsAKHWoRC1IQFggnMAQ&usg=AFQjCNHWLl0OMxkDmLA_fjonl0ltNlHsFQ
Ecowas is not Gambia and The Gambia is not Ecowas. There is no way Gambia and Nigeria can prevent Maroc from joining Ecowas. I totally understand you, you are afraid that Maroc will challenge naliejerià. Come on Maroc has so much infrastructure and money and a huge population and a good connection to the Arab league, it is an offer no one can resist. They also have huge investments in at least francophone countries ie the Attijariwafa bank everywhere in French Africa.

1 Like

Re: Should Nigeria Grant Morroco's Request To Join ECOWAS? by freshest4live: 6:33am On Jul 25, 2017
GrandGarcon:
Ecowas is not Gambia and The Gambia is not Ecowas. There is no way Gambia and Nigeria can prevent Maroc from joining Ecowas. I totally understand you, you are afraid that Maroc will challenge naliejerià. Come on Maroc has so much infrastructure and money and a huge population and a good connection to the Arab league, it is an offer no one can resist. They also have huge investments in at least francophone countries ie the Attijariwafa bank everywhere in French Africa.
I understand, it's neither here nor there.
I think Buhari may even be in support of this because of the big gas pipeline project he wants to establish with Morocco, so Nigeria is deeply involved in this contrary to what you think.
The problem now is the Western Sahara, and probably this is why Nigerian foreign minister says the matter would still be discussed further in December. So there are some terms and conditions that may be laid down.
Did you read the article? I didn't say Gambia was against it, the plea is from a Gambian journalist.
Also note that ECOWAS cannot do anything without the agreement of all members, so before the decision was made, l think Buhari agreed. Note that the Moroccan king met with Buhari for a huge gas project that would benefit the region, before all this. So the Moroccan king has established very strong ties with Nigeria already.
ECOWAS as a regional body does her best to give all members equal power, so even Gambia's opinion counts, how much more that of Nigeria(her biggest economy)? This is why EPA has not being signed(due to opposition from Nigeria) and ECO is still not the currency for the regional body(due to opposition by smaller francophone nations)
Re: Should Nigeria Grant Morroco's Request To Join ECOWAS? by GrandGarcon: 6:42am On Jul 25, 2017
freshest4live:

I understand, it's neither here nor there.
I think Buhari may even be in support of this because of the big gas pipeline project he wants to establish with Morocco, so Nigeria is deeply involved in this contrary to what you think.
The problem now is the Western Sahara, and probably this is why Nigerian foreign minister says the matter would still be discussed further in December. So there are some terms and conditions that may be laid down.
Did you read the article?
why should I? Nigeria and Gambia vehemently opposes the adoption of Maroc as a member.
Re: Should Nigeria Grant Morroco's Request To Join ECOWAS? by freshest4live: 6:46am On Jul 25, 2017
GrandGarcon:
why should I? Nigeria and Gambia vehemently opposes the adoption of Maroc as a member.
I modified my post above.
ECOWAS works in such a way that even Seirea -leone has a say, how much more Nigeria?
Nigerians may oppose it, but l don't think Buhari opposed it initially, this is why it was agreed on.
Nigeria has an important project with Morocco.
Re: Should Nigeria Grant Morroco's Request To Join ECOWAS? by MadCow1: 6:49am On Jul 25, 2017
freshest4live:

I modified my post above.
ECOWAS works in such a way that even sierrealeone has a say how much more Nigeria?
Nigerians may oppose it, but l don't think Buhari opposed it initially, this is why it was agreed on.
Nigeria has an important project with Morocco.

Morocco joining ECOWAS will change the power structure within the Union. Nigeria will now have a strong and viable opposition to its powers.

I don't think it's in our best interest to allow them in.
Re: Should Nigeria Grant Morroco's Request To Join ECOWAS? by freshest4live: 6:57am On Jul 25, 2017
MadCow1:

Morocco joining ECOWAS will change the power structure within the Union. Nigeria will now have a strong and viable opposition to its powers.

I don't think it's in our best interest to allow them in.
But if you notice, Nigeria does not like to exert her powers even right from the Gowon era, she is seen as a bully especially by Francophone countries, but it seems Nigeria has no time for that. Read the article l posted above from the Gambian writer who also made this clear.
What do you suggest we do about the gas pipeline deal, (one of the biggest projects in the region that would benefit 80% of West Africans)? Nigeria does not have to fear Morocco, their economy and output is not as big as that of Nigeria and not much bigger than that of Lagos.
Re: Should Nigeria Grant Morroco's Request To Join ECOWAS? by freshest4live: 7:11am On Jul 25, 2017
Odunayaw:
Most of your early sentences is like looking at this matter through viju milk straw

There are lots of disadvantages I kid you not but hey West Africa is already full of countries not being able to fulfil some obligations so I expect them to jump on this
I can only feel pity for the Sahrawis ..their future is about to get sold
The Western Sahara problem is the biggest disadvantage in letting Morocco in, perhaps Nigeria and other ECOWAS members would lay down terms and conditions, but the weak AU is also to be blamed for it, for not putting enough pressure on Morocco.
Re: Should Nigeria Grant Morroco's Request To Join ECOWAS? by theSpark(m): 9:34am On Jul 25, 2017
Morocco joining Ecowas does not portend good. Our influence in the region will dwindle and they'll use Morocco to funnel European goods our way.

On the bright side going to Morocco visa free is not a bad idea. From there na to cross the channel enter Spain.
Re: Should Nigeria Grant Morroco's Request To Join ECOWAS? by Odunayaw(m): 1:18am On Jul 26, 2017
freshest4live:

The Western Sahara problem is the biggest disadvantage in letting Morocco in, perhaps Nigeria and other ECOWAS members would lay down terms and conditions, but the weak AU is also to be blamed for it, for not putting enough pressure on Morocco.
First I say shame on ECOWAS as a body for entertaining Morocco's request..but hey the body is filled with mass brokeness

The best Morocco can be getting is an outsider status
Re: Should Nigeria Grant Morroco's Request To Join ECOWAS? by Odunayaw(m): 1:23am On Jul 26, 2017
freshest4live:

But if you notice, Nigeria does not like to exert her powers even right from the Gowon era, she is seen as a bully especially by Francophone countries, but it seems Nigeria has no time for that. Read the article l posted above from the Gambian writer who also made this clear.
What do you suggest we do about the gas pipeline deal, (one of the biggest projects in the region that would benefit 80% of West Africans)? Nigeria does not have to fear Morocco, their economy and output is not as big as that of Nigeria and not much bigger than that of Lagos.
Bless you.. there is nothing to fear about our hegemony..You remember the proverb heavy is the head that wears the crown

About the gas pipeline..it's way above a lobby for ECOWAS membership...infact if what we r talking about is a banquet it wouldn't be dessert
Re: Should Nigeria Grant Morroco's Request To Join ECOWAS? by Odunayaw(m): 1:24am On Jul 26, 2017
theSpark:
Morocco joining Ecowas does not portend good. Our influence in the region will dwindle and they'll use Morocco to funnel European goods our way.

On the bright side going to Morocco visa free is not a bad idea. From there na to cross the channel enter Spain.
You were already making sense why soil it with the excreta in the 2nd paragraph
Re: Should Nigeria Grant Morroco's Request To Join ECOWAS? by Rossikki: 1:31am On Jul 26, 2017
Nigeria is against African nations leaving the International Criminal Court because the continent has “no mechanism for holding leaders to account,” Onyema said. South Africa and Burundi announced plans last year to leave the court because it has mainly brought African leaders to trial.

NIGERIA, OYIBO ASS KISSERS AS USUAL.

USELESS SET OF HUMAN BEINGS.

NO WONDER YOU'RE THE WORLD CAPITAL OF BLEACHING

FCKING SLAVES.
Re: Should Nigeria Grant Morroco's Request To Join ECOWAS? by theSpark(m): 6:58am On Jul 26, 2017
Odunayaw:
You were already making sense why soil it with the excreta in the 2nd paragraph

Bro, that was a light hearted comment. You shouldn't have taken it too serious.
Re: Should Nigeria Grant Morroco's Request To Join ECOWAS? by Amberon11: 7:05am On Jul 26, 2017
Lol
Re: Should Nigeria Grant Morroco's Request To Join ECOWAS? by Odunayaw(m): 12:06am On Jul 27, 2017
theSpark:

Bro, that was a light hearted comment. You shouldn't have taken it too serious.
Am sorry if I came off strong.. didn't mean it that way

(1) (Reply)

Restructuring: IPOB Insists On Biafra, Calls Ohanaeze Leader, Nwodo A 'traitor' / Igbos Residing Arnd Okota Fear 4 Their Lives As OPC Allegedly Threatens Reprisal / I Am A Product Of Insults- Bola Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.