Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,271 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:34 PM

Anambra Governorship Elections - Matters Arising - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anambra Governorship Elections - Matters Arising (561 Views)

Supreme Court Upholds Delta, Oyo And Yobe Governorship Elections / Governorship Elections: APC 21 APGA 1 PDP 7 / Governorship Elections: PDP Targets Victory In 24 States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anambra Governorship Elections - Matters Arising by wirinet(m): 1:01pm On Feb 07, 2010
Now that the Anambra governorship elections has come and gone, the real battle will begins in a few days as is usual with all elections in Nigeria since 1999. Attention will now certainly shift to the judiciary as that arm of government has the final say in who the actual winner of the election will be or whether the election was valid in the first place. I know people are jubilating because PDP lost and so it is easy to lose sight of the fundamental flaws in the process. If we do not correct these flaws now, what happened here would be child's play when the 2011 elections comes around, when we would not be able to look at the elections as detailed as we examined this one. INEC and the Government were cautious in rigging this election as the PDP is in a limbo right now and Iwu is seeking a second term. In 2011, these barriers would not be there, especially if IWU is reappointed.

Taking a simple look at the election will reveal a few legal, political and moral issues

1. The Legality of the elections due to the declaration by the court that INEC as presently constituted cannot conduct a constitutionally valid election. I doubt that the excuse that they have not received the judgment papers from the court can be upheld as they were represented by a counsel in the case and so were officially informed of the Judgment and besides ignorance is no excuse in law, and that is the legal position of the elections as of today as INEC had not appealed or asked for a stay of execution.

2. The fact that INEC had not conformed to legal requirements to update their voters register and display such register at the poling units for correction as few weeks to the elections. I might be wrong, but i thought INEC was supposed to display voter's register before any major election.

3. The fact that out of the over 1.8 million registered voters in Anambra State only about 250,000 actually voted representing about 14% of total registered voters. This was because majority of people who wanted to vote could not vote because of INEC's ineptude (or design). When we make provision for inflated votes from stuffed ballot boxes, the percentage of actual voters would be lower still. Also is is a shame that Mr. Obi got elected with only about 5.4% of the total registered voters in Anambra. This shows there is something fundamentally wrong with the elections.
Re: Anambra Governorship Elections - Matters Arising by bobosunny: 5:04pm On Feb 07, 2010
seconded
Re: Anambra Governorship Elections - Matters Arising by chigo4u: 8:13pm On Feb 07, 2010
Folks, is there anything as thirded? Pls allow me to use it right?
Ok thirded! Lol.
Thanks @wirinet 4 the unbiased GENERAL observations. Never mind, it will not be long before the selection is upturned. This is illegality to the fullest! The devil u know is better than that u dont know. Apga/obi is the devil we dont know
Re: Anambra Governorship Elections - Matters Arising by PapaBrowne(m): 11:10pm On Feb 07, 2010
Fourthed!!
Re: Anambra Governorship Elections - Matters Arising by vigasimple(m): 11:22pm On Feb 07, 2010
Sour grapes, campaign after the election. even if PDP goes to court they are likely to lose.

I have said it before and I will say it again, all incumbent do some magomago, unfortunately they were trained by PDP.

I also advocated that all incumbent be voted out of office especially the PDP people so that our politicians can realise who has the ultimate power.

Call it protest vote or whatever, the electorate must take the power back, so that whoever is seeking election will know that if they don't perform, they can be voted out at the next election or even try recalling.

Good riddance to bad rubbish of PDP candidate and ex candidate Cee Cee Soludo and Andy UBasanjo.

I wish Ngige have trashed Obi, so that lesson can be learnt on doing your best for your people, not your few political friends, but I think Ojukwu won this for Peter Obi.

Igbo man still loves their Man , the one and only Ikemba 1 of Nnewi, of Igbo land of BiafraNigeria, of the whole Africa, and worldwide

(1) (Reply)

One Significance Of Anambra Gubernatorial Election / Post The Result Of The Anambra Election Local Govt By Local Govt. / Hand Aondakaaaa Over 2 Nija Delta Militants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.