Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,389 members, 7,815,828 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:02 PM

Sikiru Adepoju: Throwback Pictures Of A Two-time Grammy Award Winning Nigerian - Celebrities (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Sikiru Adepoju: Throwback Pictures Of A Two-time Grammy Award Winning Nigerian (48305 Views)

Emmanuella Pobeni Adepoju Is Dead! Iya Jogbo Of Max FM Dies / Tyree Boyce And Natalie Adepoju Are Dead / Don Jazzy Shares 2013 Throwback Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sikiru Adepoju: Throwback Pictures Of A Two-time Grammy Award Winning Nigerian by StunnerG(m): 7:19pm On Jul 26, 2017
Ani aye awon flamingos ti baje......na Soso kidnapping and make dem dey rape corpers full their skull
Re: Sikiru Adepoju: Throwback Pictures Of A Two-time Grammy Award Winning Nigerian by StunnerG(m): 7:19pm On Jul 26, 2017
Ani aye awon Igbos ti baje......na Soso kidnapping and make dem dey rape corpers full their skull

3 Likes

Re: Sikiru Adepoju: Throwback Pictures Of A Two-time Grammy Award Winning Nigerian by debiah95(f): 7:20pm On Jul 26, 2017
First time hearing this..really nice
Re: Sikiru Adepoju: Throwback Pictures Of A Two-time Grammy Award Winning Nigerian by yommen: 8:15pm On Jul 26, 2017
OkoYibo:
LIST OF NIGERIANS WHO HAVE WON THE GRAMMYS

Lekan Babalola: Won 2 Grammys. 2006 and 2009)
Seal [Olusegun Olumide Adeola Samuel) Won 4 Grammy's)
Sade Ade[Helen Folashade Adu]: 1 Grammy's
Chamillionaire [ Hakeem Seriki] 1 Grammy's
Sikiru Adepoju; 2 Grammy's: 1991, 2008.
  Kevin Olusola: 3 Grammy's in 2015, 2016, 2017.

All the 13 Grammys won by Nigerians were won by Yorubas.
Yorubas Alone = 13 Grammys Others = Nothing to show.
Stop nah! Only you waka come?

1 Like

Re: Sikiru Adepoju: Throwback Pictures Of A Two-time Grammy Award Winning Nigerian by omoISEYIN(m): 8:36pm On Jul 26, 2017
worthy of reading.. Nice one
Re: Sikiru Adepoju: Throwback Pictures Of A Two-time Grammy Award Winning Nigerian by cytell56: 9:10pm On Jul 26, 2017
naptu2:
Throwback pictures of a two-time Grammy Award winning Nigerian musician.

Sikiru Adepoju is a legendary talking drummer from Eruwa in Oyo State Nigeria. He is descended from a long line of drummers and his father began teaching him how to play the drums when he was six years old. He and his brothers played in the family band. He later became a member of Chief Commander Ebenezer Obey’s Inter-Reformers Band when he was a teenager and this was when he became famous in Nigeria.

He travelled to the United States in 1985 in order to play with afrobeat legend Orlando Julius and master drummer Babatunde Olatunji. Olatunji had been famous and very influential in the music scene in the United States since the early 1960s and he introduced Sikiru Adepoju to his friends, including Micky Hart.

Musician, musicologist and drummer for the Grateful Dead, Mickey Hart had an idea to make an album in which all the best drummers from around the world would feature.

The album featured Mickey Hart (United States), Zakir Hussain and T.H. “Vikku” Vinayakram (both from India), Babatunde Olatunji and Sikiru Adepoju (from Nigeria), Airto Moreira and his wife Flora Purim (from Brazil) and Giovanni Hidalgo and Frank Colon from Puerto Rico.
The album won the first ever Grammy Award in the “World Music Album” category at the 1992 Grammy Award ceremony. It also reached number 1 on the Billboard chart for Top World Music Albums.

Unfortunately Babatunde Olatunji died in 2003.

Sikiru Adepoju has collaborated with many musicians including Stevie Wonder, Babatunde Olatunji, Carlos Santana, Ebenezer Obey, Airto Moreira, Bimbo Abimbola, Mickey Hart, Orlando Julius, Muruga Booker and The String Cheese Incident.

Sikiru Adepoju continued to collaborate with Micky Hart on many projects after the death of Babatunde Olatunji. One of those projects was the Global Drum Project which won the 2009 Grammy Award for Best Contemporary World Music Album. It also reached number six on the Billboard chart for top world music albums. The album featured Mickey Hart, Zakir Hussain, Sikiru Adepoju, and Giovanni Hidalgo.

Micky Hart and Sikiru Adepoju holding their Grammy Award trophies at the press room of the 51st Grammy Award ceremony at the Staples Centre in Los Angeles on February 8th, 2009.

Where are the Igbos?
Re: Sikiru Adepoju: Throwback Pictures Of A Two-time Grammy Award Winning Nigerian by Ishilove: 9:26pm On Jul 26, 2017
Sultty:
was thinking about d same thing bro, they rather celebrate few people cos y have I not even heard d name up to now
No, they'd rather celebrate 'banana fall on you', 'shake your booty like you mama gave you' or whatever. The noisemakers are the ones getting all the recognition and wishy washy awards, while the real musicians are pushed to the background. Thank God foreigners are recognising and appreciating what we are taking for granted.

3 Likes

Re: Sikiru Adepoju: Throwback Pictures Of A Two-time Grammy Award Winning Nigerian by updatechange(m): 10:35pm On Jul 26, 2017
Nawa o. But why hasn't Nas won any despite several nominations. Well no surprise tho, even their own Snoop dog, 2pac, B.I.G, Bustarymz never won any cry
Re: Sikiru Adepoju: Throwback Pictures Of A Two-time Grammy Award Winning Nigerian by shukuokukobambi: 10:49pm On Jul 26, 2017
OkoYibo:

Yorubas Alone = 13 Grammys
Others = Nothing to show.

You forgot Angelique Kidjo bro wink

3 Likes

Re: Sikiru Adepoju: Throwback Pictures Of A Two-time Grammy Award Winning Nigerian by kaywhynoni: 10:58pm On Jul 26, 2017
I'm impressed, never knew someone from my hometown has done something great like winning a Grammy award, also he's from adepoju family like me, I'm proud to hail from eruwa.
.........eruwa ojoko, omo agbe dudu ori okele..... Really wish to meet my people from this forum, kindly Dm or quote me... Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Sikiru Adepoju: Throwback Pictures Of A Two-time Grammy Award Winning Nigerian by OkoYibo: 11:05pm On Jul 26, 2017
shukuokukobambi:

You forgot Angelique Kidjo bro wink

Baba, let's not add the Yorubas in other African countries. That would ruin the self esteem of those developers for ever.

6 Likes

Re: Sikiru Adepoju: Throwback Pictures Of A Two-time Grammy Award Winning Nigerian by shukuokukobambi: 11:09pm On Jul 26, 2017
OkoYibo:

Baba, let's not add the Yorubas in other African countries. That would ruin the self esteem of those developers for ever.

OK bro

1 Like

Re: Sikiru Adepoju: Throwback Pictures Of A Two-time Grammy Award Winning Nigerian by BackToLife: 11:55pm On Jul 26, 2017
naptu2:
Sikiru Adepoju and Babarunde Olatunji also featured on 2Pac Shakur's posthumous album "The Rose That Grew From Concrete". The album is made up of various stars reading 2Pac's poems.

Babatunde Olatunji recited the poem on this track, while he and Sikiru Adepoju played the drums.

2Pac ft Babatunde Olatunji and Sikiru Adepoju - Wake Me When I'm Free (2000).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73azwBzEAaM

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sikiru Adepoju: Throwback Pictures Of A Two-time Grammy Award Winning Nigerian by Oblang(m): 12:05am On Jul 27, 2017
Brownbarbie97:
This is good news.Never knew we had an indigenous Nigerian Grammy award winner.
I hope you yorubas are observing and are infact surprised at how calm this thread is,you guys are even waiting and indirectly daring pple to come and spoil this thread but as y'all can see we are not haters and simply dgaf about you guys.You have the liberty to celebrate your own.
But when it comes to Igbos you guys will be like "he's nigerian,stop tribalism","you're chest beating".Some of y'all will even go as far as to google other "rival" Yoruba counterparts to undermine the person being celebrated.
I hope you guys realize you're the cause of tribalism on this forum and seriously work on it!!Thank you

Hypocrites. Isn't it ur tribesmen that will come and tell us here how Wole Soyinka does not deserve the Nobel laureate but Chinua Achebe does.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sikiru Adepoju: Throwback Pictures Of A Two-time Grammy Award Winning Nigerian by oyienootieno: 12:29am On Jul 27, 2017
OkoYibo:

You made a lot of sense until you foolishly brought in tribalism.
Re: Sikiru Adepoju: Throwback Pictures Of A Two-time Grammy Award Winning Nigerian by jaxxy(m): 12:46am On Jul 27, 2017
Impressive
Re: Sikiru Adepoju: Throwback Pictures Of A Two-time Grammy Award Winning Nigerian by ekele99(m): 12:56am On Jul 27, 2017
The Financial Basics Every New Grad Should Know
Re: Sikiru Adepoju: Throwback Pictures Of A Two-time Grammy Award Winning Nigerian by Nobody: 3:20am On Jul 27, 2017
If there are any noise merchants here reading this, you'll never win a Grammy if you stick to the watered-down hip hop genre, you have to come back home, learn about your roots, your culture, and learn how to play musical instrument and read a musical note while you're at it. Check out all the homegrown nominees and winners, did y'all see a pattern?

King Sunny Ade - Juju(vocals), Guitar, Piano
Femi Kuti - Afrobeat(vocals), Saxophone, Trumpet, Piano
Angelique Kidjo - Afrobeat(vocals), afropop(vocals)
Babatunde Olatunji - Bata(talking drum)
Sikiru Adepoju - Bata(talking drum)
Lekan Babalola - African Jazz (vocals), Conga, Bongo drum

Please let's not devolve this thread into ethnic chaos, we can do better than this as people.

1 Like

Re: Sikiru Adepoju: Throwback Pictures Of A Two-time Grammy Award Winning Nigerian by michaelwilli(m): 4:56am On Jul 27, 2017
OkoYibo:

What of vic o and speed Darlington?
Re: Sikiru Adepoju: Throwback Pictures Of A Two-time Grammy Award Winning Nigerian by oyienootieno: 8:21am On Jul 27, 2017
OkoYibo:

You're a mediocre who comes from a long lineage of mediocres. You should stop hating on successful people, maybe you'll accidentally encounter success.

If you've never produced a Grammy's winner from the backwater place you come from, don't make the mistake of quoting me.

Am certain that my comment is too much for you to comprehend. In simple words what i mean is you ahould know where to apply the full stop. Hope this will help you in future.
Re: Sikiru Adepoju: Throwback Pictures Of A Two-time Grammy Award Winning Nigerian by OkoYibo: 8:26am On Jul 27, 2017
oyienootieno:

Am certain that my comment is too much for you to comprehend. In simple words what i mean is you ahould know where to apply the full stop. Hope this will help you in future.

It's not 'am', it is "I'm".

Also, 'much' is inappropriate here, you should replace it with 'difficult'.

I'll suggest you give your phone to someone with an IQ higher than yours to reply me.
Re: Sikiru Adepoju: Throwback Pictures Of A Two-time Grammy Award Winning Nigerian by Ijaya123: 8:34am On Jul 27, 2017
OkoYibo:

Others have won a lot of jail sentences from drug smuggling. grin
Re: Sikiru Adepoju: Throwback Pictures Of A Two-time Grammy Award Winning Nigerian by scholes0(m): 8:40am On Jul 27, 2017
ayenitre:
If there are any noise merchants here reading this, you'll never win a Grammy if you stick to the watered-down hip hop genre, you have to come back home, learn about your roots, your culture, and learn how to play musical instrument and read a musical note while you're at it. Check out all the homegrown nominees and winners, did y'all see a pattern?

King Sunny Ade - Juju(vocals), Guitar, Piano
Femi Kuti - Afrobeat(vocals), Saxophone, Trumpet, Piano
Angelique Kidjo - Afrobeat(vocals), afropop(vocals)
Babatunde Olatunji - Bata(talking drum)
Sikiru Adepoju - Bata(talking drum)
Lekan Babalola - African Jazz (vocals), Conga, Bongo drum

Please let's not devolve this thread into ethnic chaos, we can do better than this as people.

Bata is not part of the talking drum family bro.
Talking drums are dunduns and gangan with their Omele.
Re: Sikiru Adepoju: Throwback Pictures Of A Two-time Grammy Award Winning Nigerian by Adek15(m): 10:13am On Jul 27, 2017
OkoYibo:

baba, some of us visit nairaland to know things not to 'be better than ibos' if she's youruba, pls kindly add her to the list
Re: Sikiru Adepoju: Throwback Pictures Of A Two-time Grammy Award Winning Nigerian by Aeebeecee: 4:30pm On Jul 27, 2017
i scrolled down this thread and i didn't come across any vulgar words and no insults, if it were some hot tempered fellows the thread for don cast by now wit plenty swear and comparison ...
God bless the country Nigeria and all that abides in her...
cause it could get really ugly before it gets beautiful...breezy said so too
Re: Sikiru Adepoju: Throwback Pictures Of A Two-time Grammy Award Winning Nigerian by Johnnyessence(m): 6:53pm On Jul 28, 2017
Waooo ipinle omoluabi omo Oodua making us proud. This is what yoruba people represent. On every side we always come out great. Congrats to the grammy awardees.
Re: Sikiru Adepoju: Throwback Pictures Of A Two-time Grammy Award Winning Nigerian by asaajuomo1(m): 5:53pm On Apr 16, 2019
Love this
Re: Sikiru Adepoju: Throwback Pictures Of A Two-time Grammy Award Winning Nigerian by Funmmyastic: 8:23pm On Apr 16, 2019
Wow,I am proudly Eruwa.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"I Want To Have Sex With You" - Lady Tells Davido / Singer Timaya Poses With Guns (Photo) / Don Jazzy Replies Non-fan Who Said He Doesnt Like How Korede Bellos Career Ended

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.