Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,713 members, 7,862,262 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 12:31 PM

Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States (27808 Views)

Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers / Restructuring: Kano, Katsina Kick Against Devolution Of Power / House Of Reps Approves Devolution Of Powers To States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States by gberra: 5:13pm On Jul 26, 2017
wirinet:

I Agree with you. Ordinarily devolution of powers would have been an ideal way to ensure developments and efficiency of government, but given our present crop of politicians, devolution will be a disaster and might lead to unimaginable crisis. Ordinary devolving electoral powers to the states in terms of Local Government Elections, and the governors and godfathers turn the state electoral body to its electoral selection organ. So much so that the ruling party always clean sweep the elections. The last Lagos State Local Government elections was a sham of an election, most of electorate had no idea of the candidates in the election, in some centres no election took place, but result were declared. Now, imagine if the governors control the state police, the governors would terrorize all opponents. Already the State Assemblies and State Judiciary is already a branch of the governor's office.
You painted the prevailing situation but your argument is shallow & invalid.

1 Like

Re: Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States by wirinet(m): 5:14pm On Jul 26, 2017
gberra:
You painted the prevailing situation but your argument is shallow & invalid.

Please educate me.
Re: Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States by TRUTH2020: 5:15pm On Jul 26, 2017
gberra:
What Stupid Nnamdi Kanu are these Ipob bonobos screaming about on this thread when it was obvious y'all put your hairy ass on the line for Saraki /Ikeweremadu's senate leadership. Oloshi ni gbogboyin. Awon Oloripelebe
AND U TELL ME TO CONTINUE ONE NIGERIA WITH SOMEBODY THAT THINKS LIKE THIS,TUFIA..GODFORBID

1 Like

Re: Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States by Blue3k(m): 5:17pm On Jul 26, 2017
This will eventually. The federal self inflicted burden will be too much eventually. If it's the north explain to them the benefits of having certain items in concurrent list. The Sout needs to firm coalition withe middle belt.

1 Like

Re: Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States by freedomchild: 5:17pm On Jul 26, 2017
KANU is right. All those unity beggars shouting restructuring should come and see

4 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States by gberra: 5:28pm On Jul 26, 2017
wirinet:

Please educate me.
You tell me why we must remain stuck because of the fear of governors' excesses.
Re: Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jul 26, 2017
Youngadvocate:

And you think it will happen?

You have forgotten that the same APC that gave us a working handbook of Restructuring during their campaign and swore to begin its implementation once voted into power, it is the same APC that set up a Committee to DEFINE Restructuring! Much so, headed by a notable campaigner against the same Restructuring.

Did you listen to Atiku Abubakar's narrative on Restructuring in the North West and the template he presented at University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Enugu, South East? Well, if you did, you would notice a total change in narrative in the two fiercely divergent Geo-political zones. Why? because, the North West which controls the Country with its over-bloated population cannot accept the same Restructuring canvassed by the South East.

By now, you should have known that the sound of political songs sang in Abuja, when one is in power is completely out of tune with the song the politicians sing out of power or when trying to get into power.

The only reality in all this is that our politicians have common unifying factor, SELFISHNESS. Once the ensure their comfort, whatever remains can burn into flames.

Nigerian Youths, WAKE UP! Before it will be too late to have our future secured.

At least, since the history of this Civilian Dispensation, I haven't seen any election period when children of our so-called leaders went to vote in an election. They have secured the future of their next four generations, who understand Diaspora as their permanent abodes. Yet, they want to dry-up the little that remains of our own future, not to talk of our kids.

I sense your passion buddie. This action by the senate will form the catalyst for disintegration of 9ja. Watch as the scene unfolds going forward.

1 Like

Re: Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States by gberra: 5:30pm On Jul 26, 2017
TRUTH2020:

AND U TELL ME TO CONTINUE ONE NIGERIA WITH SOMEBODY THAT THINKS LIKE THIS,TUFIA..GODFORBID
Please don't tell me you're Igboo because you've just booked a date with Sango the god of thunder!
Re: Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States by bot101(m): 5:39pm On Jul 26, 2017
@mekaboy, wherever you are don't say I didn't say this before. Everyone but you seems to know how this country works. What do you have to say about this?

With the issues unveiling, it seems the only option available now is secession.

1 Like

Re: Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States by Goldfaze1: 6:03pm On Jul 26, 2017
if they will not allow full restructuring then let go for referendum and if they say no yo that then it break up we can't continue like this as a country those that see what KANU sow will say thank you KANU, if you are among those that sees what KANU Sow hit the like button.

4 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States by Smooyis(m): 6:12pm On Jul 26, 2017
Nigerians must fight for their rights. Restructuring will not be given them on a platter of gold.

1 Like

Re: Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States by CioAngels(f): 6:18pm On Jul 26, 2017
Saraki and his bribe taking senators he buys over will vote out devolution becos of his desperation for presidency. Senate?
Re: Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States by Abagworo(m): 6:28pm On Jul 26, 2017
To me this is the most important restructuring needed in Nigeria.
Re: Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jul 26, 2017
This is the time for all youths to demand for a true change.
This politicians dont care about anybody except their families.
Re: Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States by Youngzedd(m): 6:35pm On Jul 26, 2017
Youngadvocate:
This is just what we are talking about. SMH

Over to you bigot youths...begin your ethnic ranting.

The earlier we understand that Nigerian ruling class are united against the masses, the better for us.
These chaps of no dignity and sense of service, who do not in the slightest sense, comprehend the essence of leadership; who have no regard for leadership values and human dignity, are just trapped in the ebb of selfish aggrandizement and capital accumulation to the detriment of the good of the majority. Our future is at stake!

The thieves at National Assembly, whether you like it or not have no regard whatsoever, for the plight of Nigerians, simply because they perpetuate themselves in power. They buy the offices they occupy and therefore, are answerable to their pockets and godfathers.

This is why I strongly support the Movement by Nnamdi Kanu, which seemed to be gradually changing the political narratives in Nigeria and has challenged the statusquo. Every youth should join hands together to champion this revolution against the crop of looters we have as leaders. Had there been justice, equity and equality in Nigeria which are prerequisites for meaningful development, there would never be any noise about BIAFRA, NIGER DELTA MILITANCY, BOKO HARAM etc. Note, all these groups are youths.

Nigeria as it stands, is ridden with injustices. Injustice of the rich against the poor, of the politically advantaged North against the politically disadvantaged South, of people with varying religious values. However, the more prevalent and domineering is that of CLASS. Ruling class against the ruled (MASSES).

They are using every power, narrative, style and ideology to ensure we remain underdeveloped, subjected to them so they could continue to have their way. That is why they have taken government away from us. If not, how many of us know the name of their local govts chairmen?
They don't want our political participation because they need no one to challenge them on the self-serving activities they engage in. Political apathy is what they want. Nigerian political system is WACKED, meant for the RICH. And, no one can change the STATUS QUO that favours him, unless forced to.

This is why the YOUTHS must unite against these folks. If YOU CANT JOIN TO FIGHT, AT LEAST SUPPORT THOSE AT THE FORE-FRONT with some ENCOURAGEMENT.

Respect

1 Like

Re: Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States by Smooyis(m): 6:39pm On Jul 26, 2017
oshe11:
49 out of those 48 votes were from Northern Senators

Ahahaaa 49 out of 48
Re: Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States by totit: 6:40pm On Jul 26, 2017
This is why I don't have any problem with Igbos fighting for the freedom of their own country except the hates campaign,aspect.
In all honestly these BIG Belle politicians need to be unseat and replace for crime against humanity and against the growth of this country.

Kilodiiii angry angry

2 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States by oladeebo: 6:46pm On Jul 26, 2017
Dream of weaker federal government to be drag around by smaller countries in the midst of community of nation, never forever, if 48% is not enough for the states and locals, they can labour for local revenue.
Re: Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States by oladeebo: 7:04pm On Jul 26, 2017
[s]
Youngadvocate:

The earlier we understand that Nigerian ruling class are united against the masses, the better for us.
These chaps of no dignity and sense of service, who do not in the slightest sense, comprehend the essence of leadership; who have no regard for leadership values and human dignity, are just trapped in the ebb of selfish aggrandizement and capital accumulation to the detriment of the good of the majority. Our future is at stake!

The thieves at National Assembly, whether you like it or not have no regard whatsoever, for the plight of Nigerians, simply because they perpetuate themselves in power. They buy the offices they occupy and therefore, are answerable to their pockets and godfathers.

This is why I strongly support the Movement by Nnamdi Kanu, which seemed to be gradually changing the political narratives in Nigeria and has challenged the statusquo. Every youth should join hands together to champion this revolution against the crop of looters we have as leaders. Had there been justice, equity and equality in Nigeria which are prerequisites for meaningful development, there would never be any noise about BIAFRA, NIGER DELTA MILITANCY, BOKO HARAM etc. Note, all these groups are youths.

Nigeria as it stands, is ridden with injustices. Injustice of the rich against the poor, of the politically advantaged North against the politically disadvantaged South, of people with varying religious values. However, the more prevalent and domineering is that of CLASS. Ruling class against the ruled (MASSES).

They are using every power, narrative, style and ideology to ensure we remain underdeveloped, subjected to them so they could continue to have their way. That is why they have taken government away from us. If not, how many of us know the name of their local govts chairmen?
They don't want our political participation because they need no one to challenge them on the self-serving activities they engage in. Political apathy is what they want. Nigerian political system is WACKED, meant for the RICH. And, no one can change the STATUS QUO that favours him, unless forced to.

This is why the YOUTHS must unite against these folks. If YOU CANT JOIN TO FIGHT, AT LEAST SUPPORT THOSE AT THE FORE-FRONT with some ENCOURAGEMENT.
[/s]
rubbish!
Who voted APC to power to come and reduced the federal government power?
what the states have been done to 48% allocation they earn?
What a weaker Nigeria federal government mean for you?
With these amendments you as an independent candidate have opportunity to become political office holder.
if you have something better to do for your people why can't you contest for political office?
Re: Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States by IPOB123london: 7:05pm On Jul 26, 2017
ok oo

afonjay over to you!
Re: Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States by IPOB123london: 7:06pm On Jul 26, 2017
The zoo Igbos

over to you!

see dem like you gonna be stupid and live forever

ndi ara
Re: Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States by IPOB123london: 7:09pm On Jul 26, 2017
by totit: 6:40pm
This is why I don't have any problem with Igbos fighting for the freedom of their own country except the hates campaign,aspect.
In all honestly these BIG Belle politicians need to be slaughter for crime against humanity and against growth of this country.

Kilodiiii angry angry

my friend bikonu wake up for once

ehhhhhhh

what is more of hate that boko harem presido is drinking cidar and beer with his son in london

wake up naw

plzzz
Re: Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States by oladeebo: 7:10pm On Jul 26, 2017
IPOB123london:
The zoo Igbos

over to you!

see dem like you gonna be stupid and live forever

ndi ara
don't cry no referendum
ok.
Re: Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States by Sonoyom(m): 7:11pm On Jul 26, 2017
The Zoo must fall on Buhari
Re: Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States by totit: 7:16pm On Jul 26, 2017
IPOB123london:

my friend bikonu wake up for once

ehhhhhhh

what is more of hate that boko harem presido is drinking cidar and beer with his son in london

wake up naw

plzzz

The word " hate " comes in different form! Bro. Either by physical violent, attack, words,action or insult "... hate is hates. kiss
Re: Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States by oladeebo: 7:17pm On Jul 26, 2017
Sonoyom:
The Zoo must fall on Buhari
I know many of you had gone cracy today
such is life
why you people can't join hand?
biafran, boko haram, restructurer! the feathers of the same bird.
you all will be put to Shame in this country.
the real enemy of the nation
Ndi ara.
Re: Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States by phreakabit(m): 8:18pm On Jul 26, 2017
Ok then, team break up.
Dissolution for the win.
Re: Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States by Ikwerreboy(m): 8:40pm On Jul 26, 2017
Youngadvocate:

Youngadvocate you touched my heart with your comment. Nice one bro i love to hear/learn more from you. Can i have your email or probably phone number?

1 Like

Re: Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States by omohayek: 8:44pm On Jul 26, 2017
A few people have made insightful remarks about the dangers of devolving more powers to the states while their governors rule like dictators, and here I agree there's a serious problem. Devolution of powers is clearly badly needed in Nigeria, but an even higher priority than that is giving both state legislatures and LGAs genuine independence from governors: joint accounts need to be abolished, LGA elections must be mandatory (with federal allocations automatically blocked until overdue LGA elections are held), and INEC's mandate must be extended to overseeing the elections for state houses of assembly. The current setup where state legislators just rubber-stamp governors' proposals is simply unacceptable.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States by oshe11: 9:01pm On Jul 26, 2017
Smooyis:

Ahahaaa 49 out of 48
I dey tells U
Re: Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States by oshe11: 9:01pm On Jul 26, 2017
Smooyis:

Ahahaaa 49 out of 48
I dey tells U

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Customs Paraded 2016 Seized Rice Containers As 2019 Seizures - ThisDay / Rivers LG Poll: APC Leads In 22 Out Of 23 Councils / EFCC Arrests APC Chieftain For Contract Scam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.