Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,520 members, 7,812,621 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:18 PM

Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins (3230 Views)

The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea / The Thorny Path To Italy- A Novel By Akíntayo Akinjide / Grabbing The Hot Gate ( A Paranormal Novel) By Akintayo Akinjide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins by mirianmartins(f): 6:18pm On Jul 26, 2017
I'm new to Nairaland, so I hope you will all accept me into your lovely family. I published my first book this month (as an e-book), so I'll be posting the first few chapters as a free preview. I hope this makes your day.

Re: Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins by mirianmartins(f): 6:19pm On Jul 26, 2017
SYNOPSIS

No one knows the secret Miriam hides behind her smile, and she is determined to carry this secret to the grave. When the Prince returns home, her feelings for him flare quickly, and soon, she realizes that there are more important issues than her identity.
Years ago, an innocent woman was killed in Ikemba. Little did the people of Ikemba know where this act of injustice would lead them. The threat of annihilation hovers in the air. The village of Ikemba is close to its demise. Series of deaths in the palace leave the village shaken.
The only thing that can save Ikemba from the impending doom is the willing sacrifice of two women. But who will give up her life to save her people? Will the Prince accept this sacrifice, even though it means saving his life and losing the only woman he has ever loved? Will Miriam accept the death of the only man she’s ever loved, or will she do the unexpected?
Re: Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins by mirianmartins(f): 6:26pm On Jul 26, 2017
Seems like tagging other users is the trend here. Lemme do my own. Please don't mind the copy and paste, it's just that I dunno anyone yet.

Ikombe, wizsolzy, hadampson, evajael , boffinjay, lleigh, surestg, ajodem, alamiendagash, queenitee, yungeez, kimberlywest, kimkardashian,marianneada, theblessedman, meneski, sleemon, apollux, emperor380, chumzypinky, ironkurtain,
Re: Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins by mirianmartins(f): 6:31pm On Jul 26, 2017
CHAPTER ONE

Her heart swelling with a news she could not contain, Ella raced into the room she shared with her fellow palace maids. Her roommates had been cleaning up the room, but her sudden presence made them halt. She had brought news. They could tell from the look on her face.
“Girls, have you heard?” Ella asked, panting. She had broken into a sprint just so she could be the first to break the news.
“BBC, what news do you have for us today?” Esther asked nonchalantly.
"Hey Esther,” Ella said, a friendly smile creeping to her face. “I always bring clean news, so don't insult me just because I decided to help you by bringing the latest happening in this palace to your very own hearing o."
The third maid, Amara, bubbled with anticipation as she awaited the news Ella had brought. "Sorry, don't mind her. Just tell us what you have for us."
"Anyway I don't blame you, so I will still give you the news sha,” Ella said to Esther. Facing Amara and the rest of the maids, she smiled broadly. "The Prince is coming back today.”
"What!" the maids exclaimed in unison.
"Yes and do you know the worst part?” Ella asked.
"No,” Esther said. “Tell us.”
Ella moved to the girls—now muddled as one—and whispered into their eager ears. Walls had ears, so she wouldn’t want the words from her lips to reach the wrong ears.
"What!" the girls screamed, their eyes round with fear.
"Why would the Queen perform such a ritual?” Amara asked. “I mean, wasn't it banned by the former Chief Priest? Why would the Chief Priest perform such an evil thing in this land again?"
"But why is the Prince coming back home and why is it that no body is aware of his coming eh?" Esther asked.
Miriam stood by the window, her fingers tightly wrapped around a mop. She looked up at the ceiling and a ghastly fear welled up in her stomach. Despite this, she wore her best smile, blinding the world from her true emotions.
‘Oh heavens, why is he coming back so soon already?’ she said to herself. ‘What am I even saying eh? This is his home, so maybe he misses it and that's why he is coming home. But I hope he doesn’t distract me from my mission in this palace.’
“Miriam, what do you think about the Prince’s return?" Esther asked, interrupting her thoughts.
Miriam’s grip on the wooden mop tightened even more. Esther’s question had caught her off guard, draining her face of its chocolatey glow. But she did a good job at concealing her shock. "What kind of question is that?"
"But you guys used to be best of friends,” Esther said, more like a question than a statement.
Miriam rolled her eyes. "You said used to be. Not any more, Esther, so please let me be.”
Without another word, she placed the mop against the wall. Gliding from the wall, the mop clattered to the tiled floor, but Miriam paid no attention to it. She stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind her.
"Hmm,” Amara said. Her face hardened, flaunting her exasperation. “What's wrong with that one?"
Esther waved off her question—and any further conversation about Miriam’s attitude—as though she were swatting at a mosquito.
"I wonder what the Prince now looks like,” she said, smiling sheepishly.
Chioma, who had been quietly listening to the conversation, chimed in, "I’m very sure that he has grown into a very handsome young man, and I am also sure that now that he has grown up, things will not be the same again. He will start acting like the Prince he is.”
"Do you think he will be harsh on us or friendly?" Ella asked Chioma.
"Just make sure you do all your chores so that no one will have any reason to be harsh on you.” Chioma walked out of the room, leaving the others thinking about the unfolding event.

Sat on a stool behind the palace, Miriam mused over the news Ella had brought. Her hair danced shyly in the cool evening breeze. She’d packed it in a neat pony, but a few stray strands framed the sides of her heart shaped face. Absent mindedly, she tucked the stray strands of hair behind her ears.
"Does he still remember me or has everything changed?" she pondered.
Shrugging, she looked up at the sky, her heart filled with prayer — a prayer that he would forget her so she could complete her rituals in the palace and leave unnoticed.
Her thoughts settled on the dreams she’d been having lately. These dreams had introduced her to a whole new level of fear; one she never knew existed. Silently, she prayed none of her dreams came true.
An unnaturally brilliant light spilled out of the heavens, hitting her with the intensity of a thousand suns. A stifled shriek escaping her lips, she leapt to her feet. Instinctively, she sank her eyes into the crook of her left elbow.
“The fulfilment is near,” a voice thundered from the heavens. “Kill the royal one or you will be offered up in his place.”
The roar of thunder punctuated the warning, causing Miriam’s entire body to tremble as though an earthquake was about to erupt. Heart thumping savagely, she dashed into the palace.
The other maids, littered in the kitchen, slowed down her stride. Unlike her, they had nothing to think of and had returned to their chores. Although she craved some more moments of rest, she had to attend to her chores, lest the Queen hears of her new found laziness. Sighing, she grabbed a wet rag and joined Amara in cleaning the glassware cabinets.
“Wow!” Ella said, swirling around to sweep her eyes around the sparkling kitchen. A proud smile graced her lips. “Believe me girls, up till now I am not done admiring this house. It’s just amazing.”
“Have you heard the secret behind the foundation of this house?” Amara looked around, making sure no one was watching them. Although Miriam didn’t want to be a part of their conversation, she couldn’t help but listen.
Esther advanced to Amara. “What secret are you talking about?”
Standing at akimbo, Amara whispered, “I heard it was build with the sacrifice of new born baby.”
Fear flashed across the girls' faces. “What?”
“And how do you know that?” Chioma asked, narrowing her eyes at Amara.
“Am I not in this village?” Amara asked. “Anyway, I also heard that the story is not allowed to be discussed in this village, especially here in the palace.”
Grimacing, Chioma tugged at her left ear and leaned in toward Amara who took a step away from Chioma’s intimidating stance. “Hmm! Amara you better watch what you say or else I won't be responsible for anything that happens to you.”
The girls stared at Chioma in bewilderment as she marched out of the kitchen.
“Why is she acting like that?” Amara asked, gazing at the spot where Chioma had been standing. “Or is it because she is the head maid?”
“Let’s just continue with what we are doing before the Queen meets us here,” Esther suggested, leading the girls back to their hive of activities.
They had barely even resumed their chores when the Queen’s high pitched voice sailed to their hearing. “My son is back!”
On cue, the maids set down their cleaning tools and dashed out through the back door. Their eyes twinkled with sheer excitement. Miriam stayed back in the kitchen, feigning oblivion of the Prince’s return.
Although the Queen’s shout out had made Miriam freeze, she let her immobility last only for a moment. Shrugging, she went back to work. She shook her head disappointedly at her friends' giddiness. She couldn’t blame them though. Who wouldn’t be eager to see the Prince who’d been away for years?
Sighing with frustration, Miriam tossed her rag to the corner and made for the servant’s quarters. The day had been quite hectic and she needed a break, but as she neared the living room, the cheering from outside interrupted her footsteps. She gripped a pillar and peeked through the curtains. A crowd of men, women and children streaked in through the gate, singing welcoming songs as they marched toward the Prince’s car.
They screamed at the top of their voices as a guard advanced to the car and tugged at the door. Bowing, he held open the door for the Prince to step out. As though a whistle had been blown, everyone else bowed before the Prince.
The Prince stepped out of the car, his head held high in a kingly pride. Miriam craned her neck to have a better view. She had been right to think he’d grown into a fine young man.
Even though Miriam and the Prince had been friends in the past, she almost didn’t recognize him. The hair on his head, almost an afro, glittered like coal. His complexion, now many shades lighter, made him no different from those British men who often visited the palace. But this fine young man was no foreigner. This was Michael Jaja, the prince of Ikemba.
Michael smiled and waved at the crowd who had gathered to welcome him. “Thank you all. I have missed this place so much.”
“Michael my son,” Queen Jaja said, her voice standing out among the cluster of voices. “Welcome home. Come and give your mother a hug.”
Michael turned toward his mother, but before his gaze fell on her, the window caught his eye.
Gasping, Miriam ducked away from his sight. She pressed her hand to her chest, leading her pacing heart back to normalcy. The Prince had seen her. Or had he?
Although she craved another sneak peek to find out if he still stared in her direction, she turned away from the living room. She sauntered to her room and plopped down on the bed she shared with Amara.
There she sat, motionless, her chest heaving as she reminisced over the bond she’d shared with Michael in the past. The commotion outside grew louder by the second. Miriam knew she was supposed to be out there, welcoming the Prince. It was one of her duties as a palace maid, but she just couldn’t handle being there.
“Wow,” Ella said. Miriam raised her head and found Ella and Amara waltzing into the room. How long had she been lost in thoughts?
“The Prince has always been handsome,” Ella said. “But I never thought he would be this charming.”
“He’s been working out too,” Amara said. “Did you see his muscles? They were almost bursting out of his shirt.”
“What are you girls doing here?” Chioma asked, standing in the threshold.
“We came to call Miriam,” Ella said.
“I have come to call her myself,” Chioma said. “It seems she needs a personal invitation.”
“Sorry. I had a headache, so I came here to rest.” Miriam looked away from Chioma. She always did that when she lied. How could she join them outside when the only thing on her mind was avoiding the Prince at all costs?
“When everybody is busy welcoming the Prince?” Chioma asked.
“I said I have a headache,” Miriam said. “I’m not feeling well, please.”
“Okay,” Chioma said. “That’s what you’ll tell the Queen. You think she hasn’t noticed your absence? If you like your job and want to keep it, you better go out there and do what you’re being paid for.”
Miriam sighed. She knew she was fighting a hopeless war. She trailed after Chioma, Ella and Amara as they walked out of the house.
While the three maids joined the crowd in cheering and dancing, Miriam stood like a statue, her eyes locked on the Prince who had his back to her. Standing behind Amara, she stared at him, praying he didn’t turn around. She couldn’t handle him locking eyes with her right now.
Queen Jaja stood behind her son as he crowded the entrance door. The smile on her face had faded, her excitement replaced with a feeling that could only be fear. With a heart full of prayer, she watched her son step into the house.
A fierce wind whirled around him, rippling his clothing and wrapping him with a ghastly cold. He swayed backward, losing his footing, but the Queen was quick to grip his arms. She knew why this was happening, and the knowledge that things might go wrong filled her with untold fear.
‘Oh heavens,’ she prayed silently. ‘Please don't let anything happen to my son.’

1 Like

Re: Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins by crislyn(f): 6:33pm On Jul 26, 2017
Hope u will complete the story sha o? Before i settle down lemme know.

1 Like

Re: Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins by mirianmartins(f): 6:37pm On Jul 26, 2017
crislyn:
Hope u will complete the story sha o? Before i settle down lemme know.

I'm sorry to disappoint, but this is only a preview of the first seven chapters. The complete book is for sale on Okadabooks and Smashwords.
Re: Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins by Deji124(m): 6:38pm On Jul 26, 2017
Abi oh i hope u will complete it and pls try to be consistent in updating the story,

1 Like

Re: Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins by mirianmartins(f): 6:41pm On Jul 26, 2017
Deji124:
Abi oh i hope u will complete it and pls try to be consistent in updating the story,

Wow. Wait previews aren't allowed on nairaland?
Re: Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins by meneski(m): 6:43pm On Jul 26, 2017
mirianmartins:
Seems like tagging other users is the trend here. Lemme do my own. Please don't mind the copy and paste, it's just that I dunno anyone yet.

Ikombe, wizsolzy, hadampson, evajael , boffinjay, lleigh, surestg, ajodem, alamiendagash, queenitee, yungeez, kimberlywest, kimkardashian,marianneada, theblessedman, meneski, sleemon, apollux, emperor380, chumzypinky, ironkurtain,
. U just called right crew dear..... Souloho19 stephenGee12 we have a new litlander in the house, come say wlcm to her... By d way welcm onboard.

1 Like

Re: Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins by mirianmartins(f): 6:45pm On Jul 26, 2017
meneski:
. U just called right crew dear..... Souloho19 stephenGee12 we have a new litlander in the house, come say wlcm to her... By d way welcm onboard.

Thank you. I know I'll have a pleasant experience with all of you.
Re: Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins by Divepen1(m): 6:48pm On Jul 26, 2017
welcome mirianmartins, even if it's preview you can direct people to where they can buy the book.

1 Like

Re: Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins by Deji124(m): 6:51pm On Jul 26, 2017
mirianmartins:

Wow. Wait previews aren't allowed on nairaland?
Wow so sorry i dont know u are previewing it lemme read the first seven chapter before i tink of buying the whole book,

1 Like

Re: Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins by mirianmartins(f): 6:54pm On Jul 26, 2017
Divepen1:
welcome mirianmartins, even if it's preview you can direct people to where they can buy the books.

Okay, I'll do just that. Thank you.
Re: Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins by Divepen1(m): 6:54pm On Jul 26, 2017
Deji124:
Wow so sorry i dont know u are previewing it lemme read the first seven chapter before i tink of buying the whole book,
If you read 7, how many chapters remain..

Meanwhile Marianmartins, nice book cover.

1 Like

Re: Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins by mirianmartins(f): 6:55pm On Jul 26, 2017
Deji124:

Okay.
Re: Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins by mirianmartins(f): 6:58pm On Jul 26, 2017
Divepen1:
If you read 7, how many chapters remain..
Meanwhile Marianmartins, nice book cover.

Eight. It has a total of fifteen chapters. And, thanks for the compliment.
Re: Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins by cyber5(m): 7:24pm On Jul 26, 2017
wow

very nice

and great book cover

1 Like

Re: Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins by stephenGee12(m): 7:55pm On Jul 26, 2017
meneski:

Welcome dear u chose the right section.

*quickly rush to her side*
And ask if she is not taken.
cheesy grin grin tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins by crislyn(f): 8:14pm On Jul 26, 2017
mirianmartins:

I'm sorry to disappoint, but this is only a preview of the first seven chapters. The complete book is for sale on Okadabooks and Smashwords.
Ohk no wahala...nice preview.
Re: Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins by meneski(m): 8:14pm On Jul 26, 2017
stephenGee12:

Welcome dear u chose the right section.
*quickly rush to her side* And ask if she is not taken. cheesy grin grin tongue tongue
hmmmmm
Re: Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins by mirianmartins(f): 8:26pm On Jul 26, 2017
cyber5:
wow

very nice

and great book cover

Thank you
Re: Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins by mirianmartins(f): 8:27pm On Jul 26, 2017
CHAPTER TWO

“No, please don't kill me,” Miriam screamed. Her feet pounded the ground, kicking dirt backward and she trudged forward, leading her pursuer in hot pursuit.
Brandishing a cutlass, her pursuer dashed after her with every ounce of his vigor. The ground trembled underneath his feet. His wrapper around the lower half of his body danced around in the air as his legs flew apart. A white paint formed an eerie trail along his nose bone, and on his clean shaven head were white dots, having the appearance of fireflies. Tattoos snaked around his arms, and beads of cowries hung down his neck, wrists and ankles, jingling rhythmically.
Heart thundering, Miriam tore her way through rows of trees. Tears stormed out of her eyes, leaving cold trails down her cheeks. “Please don’t kill me.”
“The royal offspring must die,” the man said. An average human would be breathless from running an endless race, but his voice held no trace of exhaustion. “I must kill the offspring. The fulfilment of the prophecy is here!"
Miriam panted. Her legs wobbled underneath her. They could not run another lap, and she knew how pointless it was to keep running. Perhaps this was it. Perhaps she was destined to die today, by his hands. Why keep running from the inescapable?
She turned around to face the man. Their close proximity made her shiver. Her eyes squeezed shut as he raised his blade in the air. Sucking in a deep breath, she embraced her end. She stood motionless, waiting for the blade to sink into her skin.
Footsteps rushed toward her from behind. Before she could register what was happening, someone shoved her sideways. Gasping, she fell on her side. A maddening pain spread across her ribs, forcing a silent scream from her mouth.
Something thudded on the ground beside her. Her eyes flew open, only to find her savior writhing on the ground. Grunting, he clutched a gaping hole in his chest. Blood oozed out like water gushing out of a faucet.
“Michael!” she screamed till her lungs burned. “No!”
She scrambled to his side and knelt beside him. She looked around in search of the man who’d tried to kill them, but he was gone. There was no sign that he’d even been here, save for the damage he had inflicted on Michael.
Her frantic hands found Michael’s wound and pressed down on it. “We need to stop the bleeding. Michael, I’ll go get help. Please, stay with me. I’ll go get help. You will be alright. Don’t die on me, please. Don’t you dare leave me behind, I beg you.”
She could feel his heartbeat, slow and barely noticeable, but it was still there. She had to save him. If she left now, then there was a greater chance of saving him. She made to stand, but the feel of his trembling palm against her cheek held her back.
“Michael,” she breathed. Her tears glided to his hand. “Stay with me.”
He smiled weakly. “I miss you so much, Miriam.”
“I miss you too,” she said, her voice wobbling out of control. “Please stay with me. I beg you. Don’t do this to me.”
“I love you.”
“I love—” she started, but the words died on her lips as Michael’s hand dropped from her face, thumping lifelessly on the ground. His eyes stayed locked on hers, but they were cold, distant, lifeless.
“No,” Miriam screamed, shaking her head. She would not accept this. She couldn’t lose him.
She gripped his shoulder and shook vigorously, but he stared at her, unblinking. He would never breathe again. Her Michael was gone.
“Please stay with me. Michael, you can't leave me just like that. I love you and I miss you so much. Please, I beg you.”

“Please wake up,” Miriam cried in her sleep.
“Miriam!” Esther yelled. She shook Miriam’s arm, but Miriam didn’t budge. Amara and Ella stood around the bed on which Miriam lay, their faces painted with fear.
Miriam gripped fistfuls of her bedsheet and rolled on her side, muttering some incoherent words.
“Miriam please wake up!" Amara shouted.
Miriam bolted upright in bed, a loud scream tearing her lips apart. Her eyes, round as doughnuts, swept around the room. She gazed at her roommates, and then fixated her eyes on the wall.
“Ooh,” Ella groaned. “These your village people have come again abi?"
“Ella stop,” Esther said. “Can’t you see that she had a terrible dream or are you blind?”
Esther sank down in the bed beside Miriam and patted her back. Sweat streaked down Miriam’s body, drenching her cotton night gown. She blinked off a bead of sweat strolling into her eyes.
“Are you okay?” Esther asked.
Unable to find her voice, Miriam could only nod.
“Are you sure you’re okay?” Esther asked. “Should I get you water?”
“I’m fine,” Miriam muttered.
“What did you dream of?” Ella asked.
Movement around the door caught Miriam’s eye. She turned toward the door just in time to see a figure walk through it. Hyperventilating, Miriam pointed at the door with a trembling hand. Her eye balls rolled back in her head and she collapsed backward, losing consciousness.
“God!” Amara flattened her palm on her chest.
“Miriam!” Ella called, moving to touch her. “Miriam, please wake up. Oh God! What are we going to do na?”
Esther touched Miriam’s wrist, feeling her pulse. “Somebody should please send for Chioma.”
The words had barely left Esther’s lips when Amara darted out of the room, beating Ella to it. She burst into Chioma’s room.
“Chioma,” she called, sweeping her eyes around the room, but no one was in sight. She dashed to the toilet, but it held no sign of Chioma.
Amara placed her hands on the back of her head and bounced on the balls of her feet. “Oh God! Oh God! What is this na? Where is she?”
She turned toward the door and caught sight of a woman staring at her. The woman, blessed with an uncanny beauty, seemed to be in her mid-twenties. She stood motionless, glaring at Amara with eyes that could kill.
Screaming, Amara stepped backward. She glanced around for a way to save herself. Finding nothing, she looked back at the doorway, but the woman was gone. She whirled around, half-expecting to see the woman staring at her from another corner, but no one was in sight.
Screaming, she dashed toward the door and bumped into a human wall. “Please don’t hurt me.”
“What are you doing in my room?” a familiar voice asked.
Amara opened the eyes she didn’t realize she’d been closing. She heaved a sigh at the sight of Chioma. Her eyes darted around in search of the woman. Had someone really been there, or had she been hallucinating?
“You look like you just saw a ghost,” Chioma observed. “Is everything okay?”
Amara shook her head. Pointing at the threshold she said, “There was a woman.”
“A woman?” Chioma asked.
Amara nodded.
“Ehen? What happened to the woman?” Although Chioma knew the woman Amara referred to was none other than Nnenna, she feigned ignorance.
“She was standing right here. But then she just…she disappeared.”
Chioma touched Amara’s forehead with the back of her hand. “When last did you take malaria medicine? You’ve started seeing things.”
“I’m not seeing things,” she said. “Someone was…” She trailed off. What point was there explaining to Chioma? She would only paint herself as a crazy person, and she didn’t want that. Besides, there were more pressing things to do at the moment.
“You still haven’t told me what you’re doing here,” Chioma said.
“Please come with me,” Amara said. “It’s Miriam.”
A panicked look flashed across Chioma’s previously stern face. “What happened to Miriam?”
“She…she fainted. I don’t know what happened. She was having a really bad dream, and then—”
Chioma sprinted out of the room, making Amara’s words die on her lips. Amara trailed after her. They raced to Miriam’s side of the servant’s quarters and found her lying supine on her bed. She had regained consciousness. Ella stood beside her, fanning her vigorously, while Esther sat beside her, grasping her hand.
“But Miriam, what is wrong with you?” Amara asked. “Why is it the every night you can’t let anyone sleep in this room, eh?”
Miriam rolled on her side and swiped at the tears spilling out of her eyes. She curled into a ball and embraced herself.
Amara went on, “Chioma, you better ask Miriam why she can't let us sleep. I’ve had a very hectic day and my eyes are heavy, but I can’t even sleep because of one person.”
“I told you guys that her village people have come again,” Ella said. “But you people don't want to believe me.”
Chioma and Esther grimaced at Ella, forcing her to swallow back her words. “Okay guys, I get it. I shouldn’t joke around at a time like this, but I had to say something to lighten up the mood.”
Miriam snuffled. “I’m so sorry I woke you girls up. I just had a nightmare. That’s all.”
“What’s the dream all about?” Chioma asked.
Miriam closed her eyes, shutting out memories of the dream as they made to surface. “It’s nothing.”
“It’s nothing?” Chioma echoed.
“Yes,” Miriam said.
Amara frowned. “How can you say it’s nothing eh? Every night you have this kind of dream, something bad always happens the next day and you are saying it's nothing? See, you are scaring me o, and it’s not funny one bit.”
“Have they come?” Ella asked, bubbling with laughter. “Tell us if they have come o, so that we will know when to run.”
“This is not a funny matter,” Chioma said.
Miriam opened her eyes and turned to glare at Ella.
“Okay girls,” Chioma said. “Since she said she is okay, let's let the sleeping dog lie. And please, listen carefully, all of you. Make sure that no one hears of this incident. Do you understand?"
“Yes,” they chorused.
“Good,” Chioma said, her gaze lingering on Amara. Without another word, she left for her room. The others retired to their beds, and although sleep eluded them all, they all lay still and shut their eyes.
‘Why is it that we are not allowed to say anything that goes on inside this palace to anyone?’ Amara wondered. ‘But what could be wrong with Miriam, or could Ella be saying the truth when she said that her village people were disturbing her? But Miriam is a nice girl. She has this wonderful smile that is capable of enchanting the world, and she is such a beautiful girl that sometimes I feel envious of her. And the worst is she doesn’t really know how lucky she is. Heavens please save us or we perish with this calamity that is going around in this village.’
Re: Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins by mirianmartins(f): 8:27pm On Jul 26, 2017
crislyn:
Ohk no wahala...nice preview.
Thanks
Re: Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins by mirianmartins(f): 8:29pm On Jul 26, 2017
CHAPTER THREE

“Miriam! Miriam!" Ella picked up pace, trying to catch up with Miriam as she walked along a corridor in the palace.
Miriam slowed down her stride and turned to look at the overly excited Ella. “What’s wrong and why are you shouting my name like that?”
Ella giggled. “Have you seen the Prince? God have you seen how good looking he is? Good looking is even an understatement. Girl, he is gorgeous!"
Grimacing, Miriam continued walking. “Ella, I am really not interested in what the Prince looks like so please stop.”
Ella’s giddiness melted away, leaving a stern look on her face. “Is it just me or are you avoiding him?”
Ella’s question hit home. Stunned, Miriam could only gape at her, wondering how she had noticed she was avoiding Michael like a plague. Had the others noticed too?
“Thank God I saw you guys here,” Chioma said, walking toward them. She held a moderate pile of neatly folded clothes which she presented to Miriam. “Miriam, please take this to the Prince’s room.”
Ella snatched the clothes before Miriam could even look at them. “Miriam should rest. I will deliver them to him.”
Without giving any of the girls a chance to react, Ella ran off. Chioma stared at her as dashed out of sight.
“What is wrong with her today?" Chioma asked, shaking her head in confusion. “Ella going for an errand without being asked to. Hmm. Heavens must be praised.”
“I think it’s because of the Prince,” Miriam said. “She has been acting strange ever since the Prince came back.”
Chioma mused over Miriam’s words. “Hmm. I hope this her behavior will not put her in any trouble o, especially with the Queen, because she seems more protective of her son these days. Anyway I'm leaving.”
She walked out of sight, leaving Miriam to drown in her sea of thoughts. Something was wrong, and she could feel it. Calamity raced toward Ikemba with the speed of a cheetah, and although she wished she could do something to avert it, she could only sit back and watch the darkness engulf them.

Queen Jaja, dressed in a pink night gown, walked to and fro the length of her chamber. On her lips was the same prayer she’d been reciting since her son’s return.
“Gods of our land please save my son,” she muttered.
Michael stepped into the room and closed the door behind him. He crossed the room to meet his mother. “Mum, you sent for me."
“Yes, son.” Arms folded, she turned to face him. “Your doctor called. He told me he asked you not to come back until the surgery was done, but you insisted on coming back. Why?"
“Mum, they have been looking for a donor for years and my heart is getting worse day by day,” Michael said. “I can't stay there until I die. I just had to come back home so that even if I am going to die, at least I am at home.”
“Son, you are not going to die, stop saying that,” the Queen retorted.
Wearing a weak smile, Michael put on a false composure so his mother would be oblivious of his vulnerability. But although he did a great job at concealing his true emotions, his mother could read him like an open book.
“I know,” Michael said. “I will try my best to live, even if it costs me all I have. I will live for you, mum. But we should not let down our guards. We have to prepare for the worst in case anything happens.”
"Son, please stay alive for me,” Queen Jaja said, touching her son’s arm. “And don't worry, I have already told the Chief Priest and he said the ritual will be done during the Alaga festivals.”
Michael shook his head in disbelief. How could his mother even think like that?
“You will do no such thing,” he said, stepping away from his mother. “I have told you already that I won’t partake in that ritual, and neither will I allow you do it for me. How can you kill someone and give me their heart simply because you want me to live? That's not fair. It’s unthinkable!”
“But she will be celebrated,” Queen Jaja said. “Even when she’s gone, her name will live on. The whole village and the generations to come will honor her.”
“Mum, I still say no. I can’t accept it and that's final!” Simmering with rage, Michael stormed out of the room.
Queen Jaja’s eyes watered as she watched the door slam shut. “I can't let you die. Not when I am still alive. As soon as the Chief Priest finds the perfect blood to be poured on my son’s behalf, the sacrifice will take place in this village and in this palace. This is my promise to you, my son.”
Re: Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins by mirianmartins(f): 8:30pm On Jul 26, 2017
CHAPTER FOUR

“Miriam, please take these clothes to the Prince’s room,” Chioma said, advancing to Miriam with some laundered clothes.
“What?” Miriam shrieked, hoping she’d heard wrong. But who was she kidding?
“Is something wrong?” Chioma asked, taken aback by Miriam’s reaction.
Miriam stood up from the bed on which she’d been sitting. She’d rounded up her chores barely a moment ago and had come to rest for a while. “Nothing. I will go.”
Plucking the clothes from Chioma’s hands, Miriam clutched them like she would a child. The scent of detergent and Michael’s perfume wafted to her nostrils, teasing her.
“Of cause you will go,” Chioma said. “Did I say you will not go? I was only asking why your face is looking like someone that just resurfaced from his third grave. Please leave already. I want these clothes in his closet before he returns.”
“You mean he is not in his room?" Miriam asked, relief flooding her features.
“Yes, he is not,” Chioma said. “So please hurry up.”
“Okay.” Miriam strolled out of the room and mounted the stairs. In seconds, she stood in front of Michael’s room. Her stomach clenched into a fist, and she wished she didn’t have to do this. But she had to, lest Chioma’s wrath fall upon her. Besides, how possible was it to avoid someone in his own house?
She breathed tensely, bracing herself for the next few moments of her life. Although Chioma had said he wasn’t around, Miriam couldn’t take any chances. She wrapped her knuckles on the door. After a few taps and no response, a smile snuck to her face. The coast was clear.
She let herself into the room and headed for his closet, but the beauty of the room stole the air from her lungs, making her stop midway and stare in awe. A framed picture behind his bed caught her eye, and she lost herself to the enchanting drawing of Michael the picture presented.
Memories stole her over. She could still remember the day she had drawn the portrait of him. It was her first attempt at art, and she’d given it to him as his birthday gift. She reminisced over that day, one of the most beautiful days she’d ever had. Michael had asked her to spend the night with him, and she had. They’d woken up the next day, in each other’s arms.
Tears pooled around Miriam’s eyes as she advanced to the portrait. She placed Michael’s clothes on the bed and crouched in front of the portrait. Her fingers glided across it, feeling it’s texture. It still felt like yesterday.
But why did he still have it? Wasn’t he supposed to forget everything?
“It was your first gift to me and it’s still beautiful,” said a voice behind her.
Gasping, she sprang to her feet and turned to face the Prince who had come in unnoticed. Although fear was written all over her face, she stared endlessly at him. She could never have enough of the handsome man before her. Her gaze fell on his red lips and the spray of stubbles surrounding them.
“Are you done staring?” he teased.
“I...I am sorry,” Miriam said, looking away from him. She gestured to the clothes she’d placed on the bed. “I just came to drop these.”
Picking up the clothes, she hurried to his closet and dropped them in their place. She could feel Michael’s gaze piercing through her from behind. She couldn’t help how nervous he made her feel. She turned around and found him staring, with a tiny smile on his lips. Once again, she averted her eyes.
“I should be on my way now,” she said, breaking the unbearable tension and silence that had started to build up between them.
Michael watched her advance toward the door. But he wasn’t ready to let her leave just yet. Grabbing her arm, he pulled her close. An electrifying feeling ran through him, and he knew she’d felt it too. That explained why she’d snatched back her hand as though she’d been stung by a vicious viper.
Michael cleared his throat. “How have you been?”
“I’m fine, as you can see,” Miriam said, feigning nonchalance. “And obviously, you’re doing fine yourself.”
Michael smiled. “Now that I have seen you, I guess I will be fine.”
Miriam gaped at him as memories of her dream overcame her. Michael had been stabbed to death, just to save her. She’d been as powerless as a worm, and had done nothing to save his life. Although this was only a dream, she couldn’t get past the fact that she’d watched her best friend die. What good was her supernatural power if she couldn't use it to save the one who mattered to her?
“Miriam,” Michael called, pulling her back to reality.
“Hmm?” Miriam asked absent mindedly. “What?”
Michael touched her arm, sending a chill down her spine. His palm felt like it’d been refrigerated. Miriam gaped at him, wondering why his palm was cold. Was he okay? Although she yearned to ask, the words shied away from being spoken.
“What's wrong Mimi?” he asked tensely.
“Nothing, your highness,” Miriam said.
“Are you sure you are fine?” Michael pressed on.
“Yes your highness, and I will be leaving now.” She had hoped he would let go of her, but his hold on her tightened.
“Are you avoiding me?” he asked.
“Why would I do that, your highness?” she asked nervously. “I am at your service.”
He grimaced at her formality. “Mimi, why are you addressing me with that?”
“How am I suppose to address you, your highness?” Although she knew just what Michael meant, she believed feigning ignorance was for the best.
Michael bit his lower lip and pulled her closer to himself. “Call me that again and I swear I will kiss you.”
His hold sent an electrifying touch to her skin, overturning how stomach with colorful emotions.
Miriam pressed her palm to his chest. She fought to break free, but Michael’s arms around her was an iron grip. “Mikey, stop. What if somebody comes in here right now and sees us like this?”
“This is my room,” Michael said, pulling her even closer. “No one, not even the Queen, comes in without knocking at the door. And I love that name you just called me now."
He winked at her. Too embarrassed to hold his gaze, she lowered her eyes to his chest. “Please, your highness, let me go. The Queen will kill me if she finds out what we are doing.”
“And what are we doing?” Michael asked innocently.
“This!” Miriam said.
Michael grinned. “What is this?”
“Stop!”
“Stop what?”
Miriam glared at Michael, but he found it amusing. Giggling, he said, “Okay, I’m sorry. I just missed you so much, that’s why I had to come back, even though it was risky and they asked me not to.”
“Why?” Miriam asked, fear welling up in her stomach. “How is it risky? Is anything wrong?”
Michael smiled at the lady staring at him. This was his Miriam, the girl who would always worry about him. “Nothing. I’m fine. They were all worried about the flight. You know how much I hate aeroplanes and long journeys”
“Okay,” Miriam said. “But you’re fine now, right?”
“Yes, princess.” His hands glided to her waist and he locked her in his embrace. Miriam blushed and hid her face, avoiding his captivating brown eyes.
“Stop, please,” she said, struggling to free herself. Giving in to her feelings was the last thing she wanted right now. “I have to go now.”
“I won't let you go until you hug me,” Michael said.
“Your highness, please stop,” she pleaded.
“I told you before, if you call me that again I am going to kiss you,” Michael teased. “So, if you want to taste these delicious lips, try me.”
Miriam sighed. “Okay Mikey, please let me go.”
“Not without a hug,” Michael insisted.
“Michael!” Miriam yelled. The sad look creeping to Michael’s face made her regret raising her voice at him.
Michael pouted, his eyes drooping. He released her from his hold. “I’m sorry for being so demanding. I just miss you so much. I’m sorry. You can go now."
“I am sorry for yelling at you.” Miriam moved closer to him and kissed his dimpled cheek.
Michael froze. He hadn’t expected her to kiss him, but when he saw how nervous she was, he smiled.
Michael’s smile sent an electrifying surge shooting through Miriam. Her nerviness intensified. Michael was still the same guy he was years ago. Miriam had expected him to act like an adult, but childishness clung to him like a shadow. Her mind strayed to her nightmare and the impending doom. She prayed nothing happened to him.
‘Heavens, please give me the grace to fight this to the end,’ she prayed silently. To Michael, she said, “I’m leaving now.”
She walked away, leaving him smiling. He burst into laughter and crashed onto his bed. “I’m am so happy she hasn't changed yet. God, I love this girl so much. But wait, since when did I start loving her?”
All he wanted was to live for her. She was the sole reason he had returned home. Although death stood around the corner, threatening harm, he just couldn’t give in, not now when he was close to getting her back. He’d left her before, but he was not about to do that again.
His thoughts rested on how she’d reacted to his closeness. Nervous was the word to describe the look on her face. But why?
She’d had that same look on her face the day he’d told her she was a mermaid. He’d said that because of her extraordinary beauty, but she hadn’t taken it well. She had freaked out. For years, Michael had been trying to figure out why, but there was no such luck. Miriam was a mystery, and he loved her regardless.
Memories stole him over.
‘Miriam do you know that you look like a half cast?’ Michael asked.
‘I am not white blood,’ she replied.
‘You are. Do you even look at yourself in a mirror? You look too beautiful to be a Nigerian, and look at your nose.’ He touched her nose.
‘Mikey, stop,’ she protested.
‘Okay, kiss me if you want me to stop,’ he teased.
She gasped. ‘Mikey!’
‘I was just joking,’ he said. ‘And besides, there is nothing wrong with best friends kissing. Okay, fine if you said you’re not white in any way, then are you a mermaid? ‘cause seriously this your beauty is not ordinary.’
Miriam stiffened. She blinked rapidly, her gorgeous eyes transfixed on him. Had he said something wrong?
Waving off her reaction with a chuckle, he said, ‘I was just joking. Come, let's sleep.’ He dragged her with him to his bed.
Michael sailed back to the present. Thoughts of Miriam plastered a smile on his face. She was beautiful, well endowed. She was in fact, a figure eight. How heavenly it always felt to rake his fingers through the silky long, glossy-black hair she always packed in a pony.
“I have to get her back and spend the little time I have left on this earth with her before it is too late.”

He was the only one who had called her a mermaid, even though he’d joked about it. His instincts was a mystery she could not unravel.
Miriam was a mermaid. Nobody knew this but she, and she was determined to keep it that way till she completed her mission in the palace. Then she would return to the sea, where she belonged.
“Miriam, who are you talking to?” Ella asked, joining her in the kitchen.
“The Prince asked me to get him something,” Miriam lied. “So I’m just reciting it so I won't forget.”
“Oh my God,” Ella said excitedly. “You have seen the Prince. He's good looking, right?”
“Ella!” Miriam shouted. “Stop. If you like the Prince that much, please you know the way to his room. I’m very sure he wouldn't mind adding you to his list of women.”
Miriam was not the hot-tempered type. She always smiled as everyone and everything. But today was different. Ella hoped there was no problem, because she had grown fond of Miriam.
She stormed out of the room, leaving Ella stunned. "What is wrong with me today? First I was feeling strange when the Prince touched me and now I am angry with Ella because she was admiring the Prince. Am I jealous? No I can't be. But could he really have many women in his life? No, I don't think so because the Prince is a good person who has respect for himself and others. What if he has a woman, then what will I do?”
She gave herself a mental kick. She had to concentrate on her mission so she could leave, or else she’d be hurting both herself and Michael.
A strong wind slammed into her from all angles, knocking her into a wall.
“The fulfilment is here,” a voice said. It was the same voice that had said the same words to her days ago.
Screaming, Miriam sprinted into her room and shut the door.
Re: Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins by mirianmartins(f): 8:32pm On Jul 26, 2017
CHAPTER FIVE

“Joy, have you heard?" Angel asked Joy. The two girls were heading for the stream, with empty buckets in their hands.
“Heard what?” Joy asked.
"That the Prince is coming to the Obi today and will be sharing gifts,” Angel said excitedly.
"Oh heavens!” Joy said. “That’s good news.”
Joy elbowed Angel, directing her attention at Obiageli who’d been quiet all through the walk.
“Obiageli,” Angel said. “You seem lost in thoughts. What happened?”
"Calamity will befall this kingdom soon,” Obiageli said. “But what I don't know is how it is associated with the return of the Prince.”
"And what do you mean by that?” Joy asked.
"I had a terrible dream,” Obiageli said. “Everybody in this village was lying dead, but only a certain woman was seen, going house to house in search of any survivors. Suddenly, the sky was filled with smoke and vultures descended on the bodies but could not eat any. Instead they picked up all the bodies and transported them to the palace, and then they disappeared. But one body was missing.”
"This your dream is very scary o,” Joy said, petrified. “I don't even know why I asked you to tell me. The last time you told me your dream, five people died on the same day in this village. And the disturbing thing is that they died the same way you told me they would die”
"But how did you know how many bodies were there to be able to tell when one was missing?” Angel asked. “How did you know it was the whole village? Did you count all the villagers?”
“No,” Obiageli said. “There was this particular dead body that got my attention the most. He was wearing a crown on his head which means he was royal, and a certain light was glittering around him. But when those vultures took the bodies to the palace and dropped them there, he was missing and the old woman was laughing like she knew what happened.”
"Hmm,” Joy said. “Seriously this story is quite scary and I know that you didn't just have that dream for nothing. So what are you planning to do?”
"If you ask me, I think you’re just thinking too much,” Angel teased. “I mean you have not even seen the Prince and you’re already dreaming about him. Or are you falling for him? I heard he is so handsome and sexy."
Joy glowered at Angel. “Can’t you be serious for once?”
"What do you want me to say?” Angel asked. “You want me to be scared like you or start jumping because her dreams always come true? See, if you ask me I think she needs to stop thinking too much and maybe if she follow us to the Obi today then she will know what the Prince really looks like.”
The three girls walked in silence, each one overwhelmed with unsettling thoughts.
‘What could possibly befall this village?’ Joy asked herself for the umpteenth time.

“You said that you can get a perfect pacifier for this sacrifice?” Queen Jaja asked the Chief Priest.
"Yes my Queen,” the Chief Priest said. “In fact, I am already working on it, and very soon, Alaga herself will choose who is perfect for the ritual and everything will be done on the Alaga festival, so be prepared.”
"Thank heavens that the gods are still on my side or else I wouldn't have known what to do,” Queen Jaja said. “Who do you think they will ask for?”
"I had a revelation, a prophecy,” the chief priest said proudly. “A child who searches for a road. If she doesn’t get to find it, I will show her the road by using her for the sacrifice.”
Queen Jaja’s face wrinkled with confusion. "I don't understand.”
"She is asking for two pacifiers who will willingly agree to be used for this sacrifice,” the Chief Priest explained. “Or else she will destroy the palace and the entire village.”
"I don't understand what you’re saying,” Queen Jaja said.
"Once upon a time in this palace, a woman was killed, and her baby was sacrificed to Alaga. That woman is back and she is very angry with this palace. She said that everything started in this palace and so everything will end here. She is ready to kill everyone who knows about the story and she is starting with the palace. My Queen, she is already in this village, and soon she will step her foot in this palace, and once that is done, disaster will befall this kingdom.”
Queen Jaja knew this story all too well, and it was one she had hoped she would never hear again. Her predecessor had made a certain sacrifice that had brought darkness upon the land for two days and all who had participated in the sacrifice were struck by thunder on that very day.
“But why is that sin still haunting us?” Queen Jaja asked.
"Because that child is back,” the Chief Priest said. “She is in this palace and her spirit will draw her mother closer.”
"We need to find the child before the mother does,” Queen Jaja said. “Then she will be used for the sacrifice.”
"I pray we find her soon," the Chief Priest said. “My Queen, I will be on my way now.”
He walked out of the Queen’s chambers, leaving her with her thoughts.
"Who could she be?” the Queen wondered.
Re: Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins by mirianmartins(f): 8:33pm On Jul 26, 2017
CHAPTER SIX

Two weeks had passed since Miriam last saw the prince. She’d been avoiding him ever since their previous encounter. Holding a watering can over the flowers in the backyard, she watched the beautiful flowers sway sideways as water overpowered them.
"You’re really doing a good job in avoiding me,” Michael said advancing to her.
"Good afternoon, your royal highness," Miriam greeted, avoiding his question.
"Miriam can you stop please?” he pleaded.
"Stop what, your Highness?” Miriam asked, avoiding his gaze.
"This whole thing your doing,” he whispered. “Do you even know what it took me to come back and here you are avoiding me?"
"My Prince, I am not avoiding you.”
"Am I really your Prince or has that changed?”
"Of course you’re my Prince.”
"Really? Like really your Prince?”
Miriam’s could feel her nerviness surfacing. "Your highness, I don't know what you’re talking about."
"Can I stay with you?” Michael asked. “I really want to spend some time with you but you seem very busy these days, so I was thinking if I could stay here and help you out."
"No, your highness,” Miriam said, hoping he would just leave. “The Queen will kill me if she sees us.”
"Miriam, please stop," Michael said.
Michael had called her by her name. He only did that when he was dead serious. Her nervousness intensified he stepped in toward her and wrapped his arms around her waist.
He felt it again; the same emotion that surged through him when he touched her. Miriam flinched, feeling it too.
"No, Mikey,” she yelled. “Please go, you’re distracting me.”
"I’m sorry Mimi,” Michael said. “I only wanted to spend some time with you but I can see you don't want me around as much as I do. I will just leave. Sorry again.”
Miriam’s chest rose and fell as she watched him leave. What had she done? How could she have chased away the only man she had ever loved?
Love. She thought about the word and its implication. She was not to fall in love. History would repeat itself if she did, and she could not let that happen.
"It is bound to repeat itself and there is nothing you can do about it,” a voice said from behind her.
She turned around, but found no one. All she felt was an eerie breeze, chilling her to the bones. Fear took dwelling in the pit of her stomach.
"Leave this palace and stay away from the Prince before it is too late,” the voice warned. “Because he is bound to die."
"Who are you?" Miriam asked the disembodied voice. Feeling a sudden presence behind her, she looked over her shoulder.

Chioma was sitting in her room when she felt a strong wind. She could tell something was wrong. She could feel the presence of someone who shouldn’t be there.
"Who could it be?” she asked. “What is this I am feeling? I feel something terrible is going to happen. Where is it coming from?”
A sudden darkness consumed the room. Moments later, the darkness returned light to its place.
Chioma rose from her bed and hurried out of the room. She wasn't scared, only nervous. Whatever was happening was dead serious.

Ezinne was holding a plate in her hands when the wind encircled her, knocking the plate from her hold. It hit the floor, shattering into fragments.
"Who is it?” she asked. “What was that wind that blew just now?”
Ezinne was the only surviving witch in Ikemba. Years ago, all the witches were killed, but Ezinne still lived because most villagers knew nothing of her being a witch. While majority saw her as a seer, only a few people knew her as a witch; a good witch.
Although she was a hundred and fifty years, she looked no different from a woman in her early fifties. Age had a weak hold on her.
"She is here,” she said to herself. “And this kingdom is going to face her anger soon. But why do I feel like that child is already in the palace? I have to contact Chioma.”
Years ago, she had picked Chioma from the forest after her mother Obioma, a good witch, was sentenced to death. The woman had ran with every ounce of her strength even though she was heavily pregnant. She’d arrived at an evil forest and there she had meet Ezinne who’d been plucking herbs.
Ezinne had helped her give birth in that forest, and the woman had asked her to protect and guide her child, and to hide her identity as a witch.
The last moment before her death, she’d asked Ezinne to name the child ‘Chioma’.
Re: Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins by mirianmartins(f): 8:35pm On Jul 26, 2017
CHAPTER SEVEN

“And who are you?" Miriam asked, trembling with fear. A woman stood within range, staring at her in a way that made goose bumps erupt on her skin. The woman, just like Miriam, was blessed with beauty.
"I’m Nnenna,” the woman said. “I know who you are, Miriam, a mermaid."
Miriam froze. “How did you know that?"
"That doesn't matter,” Nnenna said. “What matters is that you should not fall for the Prince, because that will only hurt you and not him. History will repeat itself if you do."
"And who are you to tell me what to do?” Miriam asked defiantly.
"I am the downfall of this palace,” Nnenna said. “And anyone who tries to stop my revenge will go down with it. You just sent the man you love away. That was the right thing to do, so please leave this palace before my anger descends on it. I am already here, so the prophecy most come to pass."
Nnenna disappeared, filling Miriam with more fear. Nnenna’s disembodied voice cackled savagely. "The prophecy shall come to pass because I’m already here.”
Miriam thought back to her dream. "The prophecy will come to pass because she is already here. The fulfilment is here and near.”
Her fear intensifying, she dashed toward the servants’ quarters and bumped into Chioma in the passageway.
"Miriam why are you running like that?” Chioma asked.
"Nothing,” Miriam said. “I’m just in a hurry to get something inside, that's all.”
"And you expect me to believe that?” Chioma asked.
"Chioma, I’m fine." Miriam smiled, hoping her smile would work its magic.
Chioma wasn’t swayed. “I know you’re not fine, and I also know that you’re not normal like other human beings, but I don't know what exactly you are. Anytime you have a dream something bad always happens the next day. Sometimes you stare at the sky like all your answers will come from there and sometimes you talk to your self like you’re talking to someone and even though I pretend not to notice, I do, and very soon the others will start asking questions. Please tell me if anything is wrong and I promise I will help you out.”
"Chioma you’re over analyzing things. This is all a misunderstanding. I’m fine, really. Please, I have to go now.” She made to leave, but Chioma grabbed her arm.
"You might be fooling everyone with this your smile, but not me. And I promise you that I will find out who you are very soon." Chioma walked away.

"Miriam,” Esther called, shaking Miriam vigorously. “Miriam, wake up!"
Miriam gasped into consciousness, sweating vigorously.
"If I say that these your village people have come again you will say I’m lying,” Ella said furiously.
"Miriam, what's wrong with you?” Amara asked.
"Nothing,” Miriam said. “I just had a terrible nightmare."
A bone-chilling scream sailed into the palace.
Ella’s eyes widened. “Who was that?"
“I don't know,” Esther said.
"I think this girl is a witch,” Amara yelled. “Or how do you explain that each time she has a bad dream something happens? And this time around, nobody should ask me not to tell any body because I can't afford to lose my life over this witch. If you girls want, you can stay here with her. As for me, I am going outside to see what happened.”
"I’m going with her," Esther said, leaving with Amara.
"Oh heavens,” Miriam prayed. “Please don't let it be what I'm thinking. God, how can I stop her? I need to get help before she kills everyone in this kingdom.”
Ella glanced at Miriam. The thought of being alone with her made her shiver from an imaginary cold. She dashed out of the room.
In the passageway, guards and maids gathered, staring at something on the floor. With her heart in her mouth, Amara drew closer to the scene.
She screamed at the sight before her. Obinna, one of the palace guards, lay dead on the floor, his skin mutilated like he’d been attacked by a wild beast.
Amara clamped her palm to her mouth, suppressing an urge to vomit. Who had done this and why?
Re: Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins by mirianmartins(f): 8:36pm On Jul 26, 2017
Re: Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins by queenitee(f): 12:24am On Jul 27, 2017
mirianmartins:

I'm here, thanks
Re: Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins by queenitee(f): 12:37am On Jul 27, 2017
This is great don't stop
Re: Behind Her Smile, A Novel By Mirian Martins by EvaJael(f): 7:16am On Jul 27, 2017
mirianmartins:

Thanks for the mention dear. You're really good

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Classic Children Novels We Loved Back Then. / Sequence Of Love: Family Bond / Get Paid For Your True Life Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 191
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.