Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,447 members, 7,819,655 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:00 PM

What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria (4877 Views)

Ohanaeze Wants The Name Nigeria Changed To A Positive One / Read What Nnamdi Kanu Said About CJN On Dec.2018 / Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria by Bacon21(m): 10:34pm On Jul 27, 2017
RisingSun1:

A VERY POOR LOGIC

Bini empire and Zamfara empire appeared on ancient Africa because that was the indigenous names the people there answer.

Why was the case of Biafra not the indigenous name the people there answer? But Portuguese ?

Hahahaha

That is a horrid argument. You are just saying that some areas are have indigenous names; I could turn that around and say that the names of Cape Verde, Lagos, Biafra, Cameroon, Gabon, and São Tomé and Príncipe are all derived from Portuguese, Mauritius is derived from Dutch, Côte d'Ivoire is French, Liberia and Bonny are English, and Eritrea is Greek as is Ethiopia and Egypt. So many placenames are not indigenous like Biafra; this is just fact.

1 Like

Re: What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria by RisingSun1: 10:58pm On Jul 27, 2017
Bacon21:

That is a horrid argument. You are just saying that some areas are have indigenous names; I could turn that around and say that the names of Cape Verde, Lagos, Biafra, Cameroon, Gabon, and São Tomé and Príncipe are all derived from Portuguese, Mauritius is derived from Dutch, Côte d'Ivoire is French, Liberia and Bonny are English, and Eritrea is Greek as is Ethiopia and Egypt. So many placenames are not indigenous like Biafra; this is just fact.
Do you have comprehension problems?

Even from biblical times,every area must have either the name of it's kingdom or empire or a general name its people answer which the people there know.

2 Likes

Re: What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria by Bacon21(m): 11:03pm On Jul 27, 2017
RisingSun1:
Do you have comprehension problems?

Even from biblical times,every area must have either the name of it's kingdom or empire or a general name its people answer which the people there know.

And that was not Biafra that is Portuguese. Many areas have European names including the Bight of Biafra which is what Biafra is named after.
Re: What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria by RisingSun1: 11:29pm On Jul 27, 2017
Bacon21:

And that was not Biafra that is Portuguese. Many areas have European names including the Bight of Biafra which is what Biafra is named after.
You are arguing blindly.

If cant simply tell me what the word Biafra means in Portuguese language just keep mute
Re: What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria by Bacon21(m): 11:31pm On Jul 27, 2017
RisingSun1:
You are arguing blindly.

If cant simply tell me what the word Biafra means in Portuguese language just keep mute

Like I have told you many times, Biafra was named after the Bight of Biafra which was named after the city of Mafra in southern Portugal, therefore Biafra is Portuguese.
Re: What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria by YK4WORD: 11:32pm On Jul 27, 2017
RisingSun1:
Brits named them Burma, they rejected it and
renamed themselves Myanmar, Brits named them
Gold coast they rejected it and renamed
themselves Ghana,Brits named them Rhodesia they
rejected it and renamed themselves Zimbabwe,
Brits named them Tanganyika they rejected it and
renamed themselves Tanzania, France named
them Dahomey they rejected it and renamed
themselves Benin,France named them upper
Volta,they rejected it and named themselves
Burkina Faso, Belgium named them Zaire they
rejected it and re named themselves
Democratic Republic of Congo and the British named them Nigeria and SOME OF THEM rejected it and renamed themselves BIAFRA.

KANU said only a dog that is happy bearing the name given by it's master.

hmm, so what should we do about this?
Re: What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria by RisingSun1: 11:38pm On Jul 27, 2017
Bacon21:

Like I have told you many times, Biafra was named after the Bight of Biafra which was named after the city of Mafra in southern Portugal, therefore Biafra is Portuguese.
Then provide evidence to back your point. Don't tell us fairytale or Urban legend
Re: What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria by Bacon21(m): 11:43pm On Jul 27, 2017
RisingSun1:
Then provide evidence to back your point. Don't tell us fairytale or Urban legend

Like I have told you: https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=U4ZGAQAAIAAJ&q=biafra+mafra&dq=biafra+mafra&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiw-Peg5v_UAhUrKMAKHaHjCeYQ6AEIMTAE
Re: What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria by RisingSun1: 11:56pm On Jul 27, 2017
Re: What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria by Bacon21(m): 11:59pm On Jul 27, 2017
RisingSun1:
Hahaha You are deluding yourself. This is not a proof lol

How is it not proof? You can't just ignore facts that you don't like. Then what is your proof that Biafra is some ancient term. You are acting like those people that think Trump supports Biafra.
Re: What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria by RisingSun1: 12:12am On Jul 28, 2017
Bacon21:

How is it not proof? You can't just ignore facts that you don't like. Then what is your proof that Biafra is some ancient term. You are acting like those people that think Trump supports Biafra.
That is not a proof. I am yet to see an evidence from you of the year they named the bight or the record/evidence that showed that the naming occurred prior to the 1570 map that I showed u which contained Biafra.

So I'm yet to see a proof from you
Re: What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria by Bacon21(m): 12:16am On Jul 28, 2017
RisingSun1:
That is not a proof. I am yet to see an evidence from you of the year they named the bight or the record/evidence that showed that the naming occurred prior to the 1570 map that I showed u which contained Biafra.

So I'm yet to see a proof from you

How is it not proof? You are just ignoring facts that you don't like. What is your proof that Biafra is some ancient term? You are acting like those people that think Trump supports Biafra.

Also, Considering that map showed 'Biafar' in modern-day Cameroon, I don't think it can be trusted.
Re: What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria by RisingSun1: 12:28am On Jul 28, 2017
Bacon21:

How is it not proof? You are just ignoring facts that you don't like. What is your proof that Biafra is some ancient term? You are acting like those people that think Trump supports Biafra.

Also, Considering that map showed 'Biafar' in modern-day Cameroon, I don't think it can be trusted.
For the fact that Biafra appeared on a map made by Europeans in 1570 means it's an a ancient term.

Here is the evidence or u can Google it

https://www.nairaland.com/2496134/ancient-map-africa-photos

Also are u aware that southern Cameroon was formerly part of eastern Nigeria. I said this because of your last sentence. Maybe u don't know
Re: What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria by Nobody: 12:32am On Jul 28, 2017
Wait .. Wait... who named Biafra .... the cherokee ? grin
Re: What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria by Bacon21(m): 12:43am On Jul 28, 2017
RisingSun1:
For the fact that Biafra appeared on a map made by Europeans in 1570 means it's an a ancient term.

Here is the evidence or u can Google it

https://www.nairaland.com/2496134/ancient-map-africa-photos

Also are u aware that southern Cameroon was formerly part of eastern Nigeria. I said this because of your last sentence. Maybe u don't know

That map does not prove that it's an ancient term in fact as I've said before the bight was given it's name in the 1400's. It is known that the name was brought on by Portuguese sailors who named it after a Portuguese city.

Actually parts of Cameroon were part of the Southern Cameroons which was a part of the British Cameroons not Nigeria. The northern Cameroons joined Nigeria while the South joined Cameroon.
Re: What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria by RisingSun1: 1:07am On Jul 28, 2017
Bacon21:

That map does not prove that it's an ancient term in fact as I've said before the bight was given it's name in the 1400's. It is known that the name was brought on by Portuguese sailors who named it after a Portuguese city.

Actually parts of Cameroon were part of the Southern Cameroons which was a part of the British Cameroons not Nigeria. The northern Cameroons joined Nigeria while the South joined Cameroon.
I now know you are confused

If what was made in 1570 is not ancient to u then are u sure u are human or I'm I debating with a computer robot?

Don't just mention 1400's because u are not sure or specific.

You keep contradicting yourself Southern Cameroon was part of eastern Nigeria before they left after a referendum and joined Cameroon.

That's why Nnamdi Azikwe party NCNC is National Council of Nigeria and the
Cameroons.

This totally end your doubt that Biafra in that map was in Cameroon and not in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria by Bacon21(m): 1:32am On Jul 28, 2017
RisingSun1:
I now know you are confused

If what was made in 1570 is not ancient to u then are u sure u are human or I'm I debating with a computer robot?

Don't just mention 1400's because u are not sure or specific.

You keep contradicting yourself Southern Cameroon was part of eastern Nigeria before they left after a referendum and joined Cameroon.

That's why Nnamdi Azikwe party NCNC is National Council of Nigeria and the
Cameroons.

This totally end your doubt that Biafra in that map was in Cameroon and not in Nigeria

First 1570 is definitely not ancient. Ancient times are known to have started at the beginning of recorded Greek history in 776 BC to around the death of the emperor Justinian I in 565 AD. Do you have any proof that the name Biafra came to be in this time period or any time before it was really named in the 1400's.

The National Council of Nigeria and the Cameroons (NCNC) was called this because it was an umbrella group of groups advocating for independence from the UK. The Colony and Protectorate of Nigeria and the British Cameroons were two different colonies, this is not difficult use Google. The Northern area opted for union with Nigeria, and the Southern area voted to join Cameroon in a referendum. If you still need "proof" here: http://africanelections.tripod.com/referenda.html#1961_British_Cameroons_Plebiscite --- http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-13146029

Again you sound like those people that think Trump supports Biafra. You are just ignoring facts that you don't like.
Re: What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria by RisingSun1: 2:00am On Jul 28, 2017
Bacon21:

First 1570 is definitely not ancient. Ancient times are known to have started at the beginning of recorded Greek history in 776 BC to around the death of the emperor Justinian I in 565 AD. Do you have any proof that the name Biafra came to be in this time period or any time before it was really named in the 1400's.

The National Council of Nigeria and the Cameroons (NCNC) was called this because it was an umbrella group of groups advocating for independence from the UK. The Colony and Protectorate of Nigeria and the British Cameroons were two different colonies, this is not difficult use Google. The Northern area opted for union with Nigeria, and the Southern area voted to join Cameroon in a referendum. If you still need "proof" here: http://africanelections.tripod.com/referenda.html#1961_British_Cameroons_Plebiscite --- http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-13146029

Again you sound like those people that think Trump supports Biafra. You are just ignoring facts that you don't like.

are u sure u are mentally okay?

Biafra is not Portuguese you are yet to disprove this.

You are only running Pilar to post.

Trying to change the topic of discussion to Cameroon.

The point remains you haven't proven that Biafra is Portuguese. Maybe tomorrow u may say its French
Re: What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria by Bacon21(m): 2:20am On Jul 28, 2017
RisingSun1:

are u sure u are mentally okay?

Biafra is not Portuguese you are yet to disprove this.

You are only running Pilar to post.

Trying to change the topic of discussion to Cameroon.

The point remains you haven't proven that Biafra is Portuguese. Maybe tomorrow u may say its French

In fact I have given proof unlike you. Even by sight you can see how the word was derived from the city Marfa. What does Biafra mean if it's not derived from Portuguese? What word in what language is it derived from in your mind?

At least you now understand some history of the British Cameroons and Nigeria.
Re: What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria by RisingSun1: 8:58am On Jul 28, 2017
Bacon21:

In fact I have given proof unlike you. Even by sight you can see how the word was derived from the city Marfa. What does Biafra mean if it's not derived from Portuguese? What word in what language is it derived from in your mind?

At least you now understand some history of the British Cameroons and Nigeria.
Hahahaha
Wetin Marfa abi na Mafia got to do with Biafra.
Lol

Chief Asari Dokubo is an authority in this subject because he is a full Biafran and he came from that region of Bight of Biafra.

According to him he said : “Ignorance can be a terrible disease
but it is curable if the sufferer is ready to humble
himself to learn and accept the cure for his
sickness. Biafra is a Kalabari Ijaw phrase Bia fulo
meaning not properly cooked. The Kalabari of
Kula named the estuary of Santa Barbara Bia fulo
because of the turbulence of the sea at the
estuary. "

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/02/biafra-is-ijaw-not-igbo-asari-dokubo/

Biafra was derived from the Kalabari ijaw phrase "Bia fulo"

Biafra is an African Name indigenous to us.

We will believe u the day u will produce the meaning of Biafra in Portuguese language. But if u can't then remain silent forever.
Re: What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria by Bacon21(m): 3:37pm On Jul 28, 2017
RisingSun1:
Hahahaha
Lol

Chief Asari Dokubo is an authority in this subject because he is a full Biafran and he came from that region of Bight of Biafra.

estuary. "

We will believe u the day u will produce the meaning of Biafra in Portuguese language. But if u can't then remain silent forever.

When have those "Biafran" people even proved to be truthful? Biafra is derived from Mafra. They even look and sound alike. That fool just picked some words from Ijaw that looked like Biafra and came up with a nonsense reason for people to follow him. Is anyone supposed to believe that there had been a Bight of Biafra for centuries but when they broke away they chose the name due to a random Ijaw phrase? I could do that with any language: maybe Biafra originated from Vietnamese bia dá meaning gravestone, maybe it was Indonesian Biar meaning let because Biafra wanted to let go, or Arabic Biaf meaning Biff because of the birth of the nation due to fighting.
Re: What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria by RisingSun1: 4:27pm On Jul 28, 2017
Bacon21:

When have those "Biafran" people even proved to be truthful? Biafra is derived from Mafra. They even look and sound alike. That fool just picked some words from Ijaw that looked like Biafra and came up with a nonsense reason for people to follow him. Is anyone supposed to believe that there had been a Bight of Biafra for centuries but when they broke away they chose the name due to a random Ijaw phrase? I could do that with any language: maybe Biafra originated from Vietnamese bia dá meaning gravestone, maybe it was Indonesian Biar meaning let because Biafra wanted to let go, or Arabic Biaf meaning Biff because of the birth of the nation due to fighting.
Hahahaha Mr Man u got no point! u are simply ranting Lol

Someone from Biafraland,who comes from a place very close to the Bight of Biafra told you what Biafra means in his local African language and how the Word Biafra came about.You are busy ranting dust talking about faraway people and languages like Vietnamese, Indonesia, Arabic hahahaha Are these people and languages any where near to a place called Bight of Biafra? Lol But Kalabari people are.

You are totally confused. I am done with u,I cant waste my time with a confused man.I will advice u to just devote only 10% of the time u used in researching about Biafra to Oduduwa Republic. Hahaha

I will only reply u when u produce to me the meaning of the word "Biafra" in Portuguese language hahaha
Re: What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria by Bacon21(m): 4:52pm On Jul 28, 2017
RisingSun1:
Hahahaha Mr Man u got no point! u are simply ranting Lol

Someone from Biafraland,who comes from a place very close to the Bight of Biafra told you what Biafra means in his local African language and how the Word Biafra came about.You are busy ranting dust talking about faraway people and languages like Vietnamese, Indonesia, Arabic hahahaha Are these people and languages any where near to a place called Bight of Biafra? Lol But Kalabari people are.

You are totally confused. I am done with u,I cant waste my time with a confused man.I will advice u to just devote only 10% of the time u used in researching about Biafra to Oduduwa Republic. Hahaha

I will only reply u when u produce to me the meaning of the word "Biafra" in Portuguese language hahaha

Like I have told you many times, Biafra was named after the Bight of Biafra which was named after the city of Mafra in southern Portugal, therefore Biafra is Portuguese. Source: https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=U4ZGAQAAIAAJ&q=biafra+mafra&dq=biafra+mafra&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiw-Peg5v_UAhUrKMAKHaHjCeYQ6AEIMTAE
You are just ignoring facts that you don't like. You are acting like those people that think Trump supports Biafra.

When have those "Biafran" people even proved to be truthful? Biafra is derived from Mafra. They even look and sound alike. That fool just picked some words from Ijaw that looked like Biafra and came up with a nonsense reason for people to follow him. Is anyone supposed to believe that there had been a Bight of Biafra for centuries but when they broke away they chose the name due to a random Ijaw phrase?

Biafra doesn't mean anything in Portuguese, it was named after the city of Mafra in southern Portugal.
Re: What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria by jpphilips(m): 2:13pm On Jul 31, 2017
DerideGull:

Sometimes I beg to understand the plank of argument of most Nigerians. The point of contention by Kanu is that name of Nigeria and its national anthem were handed to Nigerians by the British. Whether they were inspired by war or geography is totally irrelevant. Again, the moronic Nigerians should cease to mention Nigeria in their often silly comparisons with USA.

Please if you don't know who composed the National anthem, go back to elementary school, your ignorance isn't our problem.

3 Likes

Re: What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria by jpphilips(m): 2:24pm On Jul 31, 2017
dudebuck:
go and sit down, you are talking nonsense! The right word is Niggar area, which means place of darkness and evil, from the word niggar, now what happened to the other river, called Benue, if the wench had said benuenigaria, voila! You would have been right?

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria by StOla: 2:33pm On Jul 31, 2017
RisingSun1:
You are simply making noise.

The question is what is your real name?

Luggard's harlot Miss Flora Shaw said your name is river "Niger Area"

What do u have to say about it?

Just to satisfy your hatred, you had to call a legally married wife who was courted socially in the finest tradition of Victorian society, a harlot?

Who did this to the Igbos?

Was your mother a harlot before your father married her?
Re: What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria by jpphilips(m): 2:47pm On Jul 31, 2017
1) Are you a dog? Why are you defending the name given to you by your master?

Your real name is Oyo or Oduduwa.Answer it.Why are u ashamed of your name?

Answering Oyo or oduduwa isn't the problem, it is achieving oyo as a country on the global map is the real problem, while it is your right to bask in fantastical Euphoria, reality gives no fvck what you think.

In the east,we are Biafra and are proud to bear it.

The people in Midwest can form a country and called it Bini.Likewise the north can have their country named Arewa.That's their indigenous names.

Trust me, what keke Maruwa and motorbike riders decide to call themselves is of no national concern, it shows your level of idleness, Nigeria is battling with a sick president, corruption, Kidnapping etc the only thing that bothers you is the name of the country?
So let us adopt your Portuguese biafra and dump the British Nigeria, well, common sense tells me you haven't made any progress.
The region called "Bight of biafra" was not your land and was never inhabited by humans, Ojukwu after smoking weed renamed Eastern Nigeria republic of Biafra and you are jumping around like a drunk cricket as if you won gala in the 80's, go get a job please!!

How many country in Europe was named by Africans?

You have no clue what it takes to name a country, when you do, we discuss!!

2 Likes

Re: What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria by jpphilips(m): 2:57pm On Jul 31, 2017
Bacon21:

biafra is not an indigenous name, he is too dumb to realize that, leave that walking m0r0n alone

3 Likes

Re: What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria by jpphilips(m): 3:03pm On Jul 31, 2017
RisingSun1:
Hahahaha
Lol

estuary. "

You deserve a thunderous slap!! "bia fulo" in Ijaw & kalabari means what? Is the "Bight of Biafra" Ijaw or Calabari territory? do you expect lake chad basin to bear igbo name? you guys are pathetic. Biafra is portugese every child knows that.
I am glad the so called ijaw man mentioned Santabarbara which happened to be a city in california and a river in Kalabari, why will Kalabari not rename Santabarbara but feel they could name Biafra? enough of all these hogwash!!

3 Likes

Re: What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria by RisingSun1: 3:04pm On Jul 31, 2017
StOla:

Just to satisfy your hatred, you had to call a legally married wife who was courted socially in the finest tradition of Victorian society, a harlot?

Who did this to the Igbos?

Was your mother a harlot before your father married her?
Lol I observed you are quoting me in every thread.

When Miss Flora Shaw suggested the name "Nigeria" to Luggard ,she hasn't gotten married to him.She was still Miss Shaw not Miss Luggard.

Flora Shaw was a high class love peddler and Harlot who specialized in targeting British govt official posted in British overseas Colonies and protectorates.This biz took her to India,Hong Kong,Nigeria etc

The marriage BTW Miss Shaw and Luggard never produced fruit. The died barren just like their creation Nigeria which remained barren after about 103 years since it's creation.
Re: What Nnamdi Kanu Said About The Name Nigeria by RisingSun1: 3:18pm On Jul 31, 2017
jpphilips:

You deserve a thunderous slap!! "bia fulo" in Ijaw & Calabari means what? Is the "Bight of Biafra" Ijaw or Calabari territory? do you expect lake chad basin to bear igbo name? you guys are pathetic. Biafra is portugese every child knows that.
I am glad the so called ijaw man mentioned Santabarbara which happened to be a city in california and a river in Kalabari, why will Kalabari not rename Santabarbara but feel they could name Biafra? enough of all these hogwash!!

Lol After disappearing for over a week when the heat was on.Only to resurfaced a week later to yap crap. You are the reason why we refer to people from your part of the country as COWARDS! Lol . I'm done with this clown!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Reply To Obiano On Telling Him To Mind His State / Asari Dokubo Visits Adams Oshiomhole, Congratulates Him (Photo) / See How ABU Zaria Female Students Welcomed Buhari From Their Hostel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.