Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,670 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:52 PM

Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype - TV/Movies (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype (63618 Views)

Bbnaija: Frodd Uses Veto Power To Nominate Tacha, And 4 Others For Eviction / The Mountain From Game Of Thrones And His Wife In Pictures / More Photos Of 'The Mountain' In Game Of Thrones And His Tiny Girlfriend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype by Nobody: 7:34am On Jul 30, 2017
op included game of thrones?
fvcking game of thrones?
now, game of thrones is the greatest series ever produced because is deals with your freaking emotions perfectly,complex and unpredictable. so unpredictable that anyone could die at any time.

go watch battle of the bastards from season six and you would know why the sho is so great.

rumours is that a certain episode 6 of this season 7 leaked and guess what, one of dany's dragons(visirion) was killed by the white walkers.

i remember when i started this series in 2011, my sister was mocking me. now she's an addict.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype by Cybertext(m): 7:35am On Jul 30, 2017
ThierryJay:

Yeah I loved the music themes of GOT. But have you seen some other wonderful series as well to make the above assertion?

Game of Thrones is an unusual series. It doesn't get really interesting until the midway through the second season as the plot gradually builds up. However, the fact that the series was able to accommodate so many different and intriguing character storylines for so long without the scriptwriters or the teeming audience getting confused, stands it out. It also reflects the age-long fascinating power-play that has shaped the direction of the world since time immemorial, which a lot of people can relate to.

The above notwithstanding, for a series to be considered as the best, it should be able to provide that GRIPPING, EDGE-OF-THE-SEAT, JAW-DROPPING, ORGASMIC moments/story lines CONSISTENTLY for the most part. In this regard, it is my humble opinion that no series (1990s till date) has delivered on this better than PRISON BREAK and 24, which I consider both as the best fictional things to happen to Television. The enjoyment I get from GOT, although sustained, has not reached that gripping, intense, "go-all day without food" level I get from seeing 24 and Prison Break. The only area GOT performs better is its multi-faceted storyline while Prison Break and 24 tend to portray events only from Michael Scofield or Jack Bauer's perspective respectively. However, this does not translate to being more interesting.

For me, ratings do not provide the complete picture. It will surprise you that the series with the highest ratings ever are the soapy, boring, or regular ones that I don't even consider half as interesting such as Oz, Breaking Bad, The West Wing, Friends, Battlestar Galactica, Big Bang Theory, Grey's Anatomy, The Wire etc, most of which are rated above GOT, 24 and PBreak. This may be attributed to diverse tastes of global viewers especially one-half of the world's population (female folk) who generally do not prefer action-laced thrillers or complex intrigues.

@bolded only breaking bad is at per to Game of thrones in terms of rating judging by the 3 high ranked critics

Truth be told, action series 24, prison break, Blacklist, Homeland, steike back etc) get lesser ratings from critics like IMDb, tv.com, rotten tomatoes, and that is based on lot of characteristics (such as casts, plots, dialogue, effects, customes, themes, storyline etc). .. besides Breaking Bad, Oz, the Wire, Narcos, Walking dead are actually lovely series. ...
Re: Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype by joshuaidibia(m): 7:37am On Jul 30, 2017
YOUNGSTUNNA:
Game of throne on this list? op... next time you're buying weed... at least get a good one..
I don't think you've actually followed the movie right from season 1...

I'm patiently waiting for season 7 episode 3...

NONSENSE LIST

op run for your life cuz WINTER IS COMING
OP Na cow. #WinterIsHere

Re: Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype by redarrr(m): 7:38am On Jul 30, 2017
there is even one sef SUPER STORY...
Re: Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype by Nobody: 7:38am On Jul 30, 2017
Tomide12:
Away from the hustle and away from life’s worries. We tend to ease stress by entertaining ourselves. When you are deeply amused by Tonto Dike’s marriage theatrics, you may forget that the person sitting beside you has body odour. Movies and series are one guilty pleasure for those who indulge. They spend late nights or weekends to ensure they catch up with their beloved shows.

So just because we love TV and movies too and we enjoy trolling the people that share this our guilty pleasure, let's kuku run through the top 5 TV series that we Nigerians love to overhype. Starting for the king of them:

1. Game of Thrones

We know anything other than profound praise is taken as sacrilege when it comes to Game of Thrones. So before you come for my head, hear me out first.

Game of thrones recently dominated the screens and social media. Nigerians are downloading pirated copies and sharing with their friends. Everyone is talking about winter. Winter is coming they say. First of all, the rave was about the Lannisters, then Jon snow and now Arya Stark or is it Tyrion the dwarf. Ah, let us not forget about Daenerys mother of dragons. After crying about the loss of one character, we always find a way to latch onto another. It is not surprising therefore that for the past two weeks, almost everyone is talking about the 7th season of GOT. Banners, graphics, and even memes are trolling the internet. It got so bad that even haters took to twitter to boast on how they had not watched a single episode. But abeg who that one epp? What is it about GOT that is making people stay so faithful?

2. How To Get Away With Murder

People who did not know about the wonder of Viola Davis got to know about her in HTGWM. She embraced the character Annalise keating so well that it got her an EMMY award. We do not know why Nigerians love this series. But we suspect it is because we are fascinated with getting away with crime legally. Annalise is smart and the way she works with her ambitious students makes the thrill top notch. The suspense here is over the bar and is definitely not for the faint heart. If you are in trouble with the law, you know who to call.

3. Suits

This is another series revolving around law and its legalities. Harvey Specter is a brilliant lawyer and when in need of an associate he hires Mike Ross. Mike, however, is a college dropout but this doesn’t deter him from being smart and witty. We follow them both as they turn from friends to allies and sometimes dangle on a thin thread of betrayal. The series is not only entertaining but also educative. If you are a fan of suits please let us know. What is fascinating about white dudes wearing suits and plotting how to outwit each other?

4. Scandal

Olivia Pope thrives on scandals. From being the President’s media consultant to having her own crisis management firm. She seems to know how to clean up other peoples lives except hers. Her clients have histories and secrets that must be taken care of and so does she and her staff. Again, we can see that Nigerian want to know how to get away with anything. It is a pity that we may not be able to have our own Olivia Pope unless your baba in the village is strong.

5. Power

This series shows that it is only a ghost that can run the underground business and be good at it. It is, however, a pity that Nigerian ghosts are only good at finding their soul mate or looking sideways to cross the road. James St. Patrick the Ghost has a successful nightclub but what you may not know is that he also runs another operation: a drug empire that serves only the rich and influential. You see Nigerians we too like bad things. We may have had our own ghost in Evans but we are happy that his identity has been revealed.

Nigerians like a good story, we like power and danger. We love the thrills that come with being smart and witty. And yes we overhype what we love. Well, I am in my house watching “Nkoli Nwa Nsukka”, you cannot get to me.

http://dala.xyz/2017/07/5-overhyped-series-by-nigerians.html

for more of this kind of articles, www.dala.xyz

While I'm not going to chastise you for your opinion, you should know that game of thrones is globally successful as a show, like the hype in Nigeria is nothing compared to what you get in the West, HBO really did good for themselves. For you to sit in the comfort of your bedroom and conclude it's Nigerians that overhyped the show is lame, do you know how many live views that show racks up? & Nigerians are only a negligible fraction of that number, personally I don't think any show has ever made me feel the Way GOT has, movie is the definition of epic!
Re: Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype by adegeye38(m): 7:41am On Jul 30, 2017
Edenoscar:
After watching the first season of game of thrones.i made it a habit not to believe everything i read on the internet.the way dem hype this film ehn

what do you want in a tvseries?, is it the actions? or is the storyline too complex for your understanding?

from the crazy world and thrilling storylines to the complex wave of political alliances and betrayals, to the human and in human side of people,

from the different locations, different characters

its not a battle between good and evil

but a battle about how human beings can change from good to bad and from bad to good depending on the situation, also unexpected deaths

best tv series ever made

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype by adegeye38(m): 7:44am On Jul 30, 2017
Mcowubaba:

The film is actually not hyped. It has a great storyline
With an amazing cast, great reviews.
Box office records, and high budget.

Just say it's not your type of series.

Like me, I prefer watching comic series like Big Bang theory, 2 broke girls, Scrubs, How I met your mother, Modern family, New girl, Shameless, Devious maids, Everybody hates Chris, 2 and half men, friends, last man on earth
I have watched them all, lol.
The are my type of films.

I also love a little bit of action/thriller , and series like Breaking Bad, Prison Break, Empire, Lost, Nikita, Better call Saul, Blacklist, Blacklist redemption, 24, 24-Legacy, Lethal weapon, OZ, Blindspot, Power, How to get away with murder, Walking Dead etc does it for me..

On very rare occasions, I may want some bit of epic/mystery/Sci-fiction series, I watch Arrows, Game of Thrones, American gods, Gotham, person of interest, limitless

Mehn, I don watch series oo, I have even forgotten some.

i bet have watched more tv series than you

have watched most of the series you listed above and so much more

i love action thrillers too

but also comedy like, everybody hates chris, how i met your mother, arrested development, last man on earth, big bang theory, modern family and co

and epic one like, Vikings and Game of thrones
Re: Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype by arcike(m): 7:45am On Jul 30, 2017
d series wit d best ratings of all tym is BREAKING BAD... GOT is 2nd best 2 it... Dats just d fact and any1 who doubts should use der Google... moreover der is no series and I mean no series I haven't watched or watching... so am 1001% sure of my facts
Re: Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype by holatin(m): 7:45am On Jul 30, 2017
IamOrion:
Wont it affect the normal monthly plan i already have? On airtel i mean will they deduct my normal MB?
dem go remove am ooo. buy another sim
Re: Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype by jamalnation(m): 7:45am On Jul 30, 2017
GOT over hype OP i can shoot you for this
Re: Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype by holatin(m): 7:45am On Jul 30, 2017
naturefellow:
wehdone sir!
wetin i do sir

1 Like

Re: Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype by Goodnificent(m): 7:46am On Jul 30, 2017
Edenoscar:
After watching the first season of game of thrones.i made it a habit not to believe everything i read on the internet.the way dem hype this film ehn
Gee try watching down to season 6 then you'll become a believer
Re: Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype by IamOrion(m): 7:46am On Jul 30, 2017
holatin:
So yu dont sleep most nights?? grin i I will buy 2 sims tomorrow bro. thanks
Re: Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype by IamOrion(m): 7:48am On Jul 30, 2017
holatin:
So if it stops downloading, i will know its exhausted.
Re: Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype by Decale: 7:48am On Jul 30, 2017
ModusOperandi:
haha no tv show is that good.

GOT, Breaking Bad, Sherlock are that good
Re: Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype by arcike(m): 7:52am On Jul 30, 2017
numerouno01:
op included game of thrones?
fvcking game of thrones?
now, game of thrones is the greatest series ever produced because is deals with your freaking emotions perfectly,complex and unpredictable. so unpredictable that anyone could die at any time.

go watch battle of the bastards from season six and you would know why the sho is so great.

rumours is that a certain episode 6 of this season 7 leaked and guess what, one of dany's dragons(visirion) was killed by the white walkers.

i remember when i started this series in 2011, my sister was mocking me. now she's an addict.

oga GoT is an epic series but d best ko na greatest series as u said isn't it but all time blockbuster BREAKING BAD... wen d movie and GoT where both in production, BREAKING BAD had d best ratings followed by GoT. Even nw wey dem done finish am GoT is yet 2 pass am
Re: Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype by Augiiee(m): 7:57am On Jul 30, 2017
elog:
What's your definition of "overhype"
It seems d Op doesn't know d meaning
Re: Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype by adegeye38(m): 7:59am On Jul 30, 2017
arcike:

oga GoT is an epic series but d best ko na greatest series as u said isn't it but all time blockbuster BREAKING BAD... wen d movie and GoT where both in production, BREAKING BAD had d best ratings followed by GoT. Even nw wey dem done finish am GoT is yet 2 pass am
thats a lie, GoT don get the best rating currently

the highest legally viewed breaking bad series na around 7 million

GOT over 25 million legally viewed per episode all over the world

when we add illegal it runs into hundreds of millions
Re: Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype by henryhemon(m): 8:01am On Jul 30, 2017
Only a people who have no joy will say game of thrones is overjoyed and you added how to get away with murder to it. Boy either you 've a heart of stone or you just want to be noticed.
Re: Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype by arcike(m): 8:05am On Jul 30, 2017
adegeye38:

thats a lie, GoT don get the best rating currently

the highest legally viewed breaking bad series na around 7 million

GOT over 25 million legally viewed per episode all over the world

when we add illegal it runs into hundreds of millions

oga na u do d ratings?... my man say wat u knw... BREAKING BAD is d best series.. great storyline, great finish... I suspect u hated ur chemistry back in d day
Re: Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype by arcike(m): 8:09am On Jul 30, 2017
pwetie:
House of Cards!. No one seems to be talking about this, I came across it this 2017, and so far is the bomb. As for game of thrones, it never had the chance to prove itself because I end up fast forwarding it and then eventually deleting it from my device. May be I should give it a try.
Any other series.........like House of Cards, some pls share!

wow bae dat movie is epic... frank underwood is reali d jagaban of politics... dat movie will mak u choose power over moni every tym...
Re: Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype by Nobody: 8:13am On Jul 30, 2017
arcike:

bruh i dunno what you're talking bout but GoT have a better rating tha BB at the moment.
even though more users rated GoT(giving it a disadvantage) it still is better tha BB in ratings.

i like bb but won't ever compare it to something as complex as GoT. bb plot and storyline was basically revolving around walter, making it easy to pull off.
but with GoT,today you hate jaime tomorrow you love him, i was liking ned stark till he lost his head, i used to like sansa now i hate her( you see the emotion switch constantly in this show) i mean come on.
go on YouTube and see how people are dying for GoT.
bb is great but not on the level of got(it aren't all about Blockbuster).
Re: Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype by arcike(m): 8:13am On Jul 30, 2017
ModusOperandi:
So no one here watches Sherlock sad

sherlock Holmes is my man....dat guy mind games no b here...but mehm his sister almost destroyed him... d ending of d movie portrayed dat d sister was d best among d siblings, she almost played dem

1 Like

Re: Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype by butterflyy(f): 8:14am On Jul 30, 2017
Mcowubaba:

This is shocking while single out Revenge.
My friend just told me about this series this Morning, wow, I'm still planning on subscribing for this..

Is the series that Good?

I heard it's about a lady whose Father was killed or framed, now she is out to revenge her father's death or so....
You just neeeeeeeed to watch it . Seeing is believing
Re: Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype by arcike(m): 8:18am On Jul 30, 2017
numerouno01:

bruh i dunno what you're talking bout but GoT have a better rating tha BB at the moment.
even though more users rated GoT(giving it a disadvantage) it still is better tha BB in ratings.

i like bb but won't ever compare it to something as complex as GoT. bb plot and storyline was basically revolving around walter, making it easy to pull off.
but with GoT,today you hate jaime tomorrow you love him, i was liking ned stark till he lost his head, i used to like sansa now i hate her( you see the emotion switch constantly in this show) i mean come on.
go on YouTube and see how people are dying for GoT.
bb is great but not on the level of got(it aren't all about Blockbuster).

hey don't get me wrong d storyline isn't complex but wen d 2 show were both in production BB had MORE VIEWERS... GoT only garnished dis much fans after d finale of BB... oga we watch series as its ongoing Nt after its completion... if u reali did follow both, u would knw wat am saying...
moreover we all knw dat no matter d complexity of GoT, d main character at d end would b Jon Snow... seems like u haven't read d novel
Re: Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype by mekusboy4all(m): 8:24am On Jul 30, 2017
OP must have smoked White Walkers weed when he was writing this shit. Game Of Thrones Over hyped? You know Nothing OP. Game of thrones is the best articulated series ever produced in the whole freaking world.

Let me get something straight! There are only Two seasonal movies in the whole freaking world....... Game Of Thrones and Others.

If any one should ask why am saying this......Tell them that WINTER IS COMING TO NAIRALAND!!!!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype by vanchi(m): 8:30am On Jul 30, 2017
omofunaab:

Jon Snow being a bastard shouldn't make him look clueless.

His own situation can never be worse than that of tyrion lannister who was hated by father, humiliated by his nephew and condemned to death by his sister and father. And yet

Yeah but Jon snow hasn't done badly for himself. It's the need stark mentality that's in him
Re: Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype by arcike(m): 8:31am On Jul 30, 2017
dabossman:

Breaking Bad is not hype trust me. Yes, it's not crime-action like Narcos. It is drama, which is why you may say it is sluggish. The beauty of the show though is the transformation of its lead character, Walter White from family man and chemistry teacher to a bad-ass meth lord.

Again, different strokes for different folks.

my man, ur head dey der, most ppl tink movies is alp abt action, I could list a ton of Beau series here and won't b surprised dat most ppl haven't heard of it talkless of watching it. its reali bad seriously
Re: Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype by Nobody: 8:33am On Jul 30, 2017
arcike:

hey don't get me wrong d storyline isn't complex but wen d 2 show were both in production BB had MORE VIEWERS... GoT only garnished dis much fans after d finale of BB... oga we watch series as its ongoing Nt after its completion... if u reali did follow both, u would knw wat am saying...
moreover we all knw dat no matter d complexity of GoT, d main character at d end would b Jon Snow... seems like u haven't read d novel
you just stated you opinion and try to force it to be the fact. game of thrones didn't gather so many followers because BB ended(that you reaching too far bruh).
and speaking of the main character (you said jon snow)but even if it is jon snow, GRRM and HBO didn't make it all obvious (like a typically show would do).
it seems you didn't get the news where George r r Martin made it clear that the show will have a bitter sweet ending and again nobody knows who the main character would be(i.e the Prince that was promised) so fans in reddit and YouTube said it will be jon snow others said it would be the three eyed raven(the little stark boy), othe said it is dany targay..... while some said it would be jaime, others said the new ed sheeran character etc(you see it aren't all obvious) and this have left the fan base divided.
what else is you argument?
Re: Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype by arcike(m): 8:36am On Jul 30, 2017
josemadu:
I really don't know if you can withstand the awesomeness of FRINGE. Good luck though if u are open enough to enjoy the best sci-fi tv series so far

fringe??... hehehe mehn d movie is reali dope, dat was d movie dat kept me glued 2 my system 4 straight 48hours and I mean it... I didn't sleep 4 straight 2days till I started seeing blank screen as a result of lack of sleep....

hv u watched DR WHO or continuum?..Try dem out, tho don't knw if dey would interest u
Re: Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype by JeffreyJamez(m): 8:40am On Jul 30, 2017
safarigirl:
It's only Scandal and HTGAWM that i watch fanatically on this list.

I have never watched GoT, may never watch it. I don't watch anything without a black lead in the cast, white characters are nauseating

Lol I've told you before that this sounds like what a typical racist would say.

Watch a movie for what it is, a movie!,

1 Like

Re: Game Of Thrones And 4 Other Series Nigerians Overhype by bunker235(m): 8:43am On Jul 30, 2017
pls power is not overhyped, that movie is f**kin interesting

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (19) (Reply)

Flavian Okojie Shot Dead In Benin City / Thin Tall Tony's Wife Packs Out Of Their Matrimonial Home With Kids - TheInfoNG / DOWNLOAD SERIES: “24″ Season 9 Episode 9 & 10

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.