Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,919 members, 7,835,071 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:03 AM

Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President (6851 Views)

List Of Nigerian Senate Presidents Till Date. / Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) / Senate Votes On Bill To Control Strikes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President by newmaster(m): 12:37pm On Feb 09, 2010
Nigerian Senate votes to empower vice president

By BASHIR ADIGUN
Associated Press Writer

ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) -- The Nigerian Senate voted Tuesday to empower the vice president to take over for the nation's ill and absent president, potentially ending a constitutional crisis that has engulfed Africa's most populous nation.

The Senate voted to authorize Goodluck Jonathan to take over as president and commander in chief while President Umaru Yar'Adua remains hospitalized in Saudi Arabia. A similar motion sat Tuesday before the Nigerian House of Representatives. If the House passes the measure, Jonathan could be immediately sworn in as president.

Yar'Adua, who long has suffered from kidney ailments, traveled out of the country several times for what his advisers said were medical checkups before he left Nigeria for Saudi Arabia on Nov. 23. He was admitted to a hospital the next day.

As questions mounted, his physician released a statement saying Yar'Adua had acute pericarditis, an inflammation of the sac surrounding the heart.

Since Yar'Adua left Nigeria, a major kidnapping and a pipeline attack have occurred in the oil-rich Niger Delta despite an amnesty program for militants led by Yar'Adua. Religious violence between Christians and Muslims in central Nigeria also left more than 300 dead and thousands displaced.

And a young Nigerian attempted to bring down a trans-Atlantic flight bound for Detroit, sparking new security regulations for travelers from the West African nation.

While Nigerian law allows for a smooth transition of power from Yar'Adua to the vice president, the 58-year-old president left without following any of those procedures.

While the federal government says Jonathan has been acting in Yar'Adua's place without the constitutional procedures, protesters have taken to the street warning the country will remain rudderless until something changes.

Yar'Adua has given one interview since being out of the country. In January, he told the BBC that he hoped to recover and return to power.

Senate President David Mark said that telephone interview served as all the notification needed to allow Jonathan to take power.

"The BBC interview is as good as the letter envisioned by the constitution," Mark said.

The House was expected to take up the similar motion later Tuesday.

© 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AF_NIGERIA_PRESIDENT?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2010-02-09-06-18-17
Re: Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President by Iranoladun(f): 2:25pm On Feb 09, 2010
At last; we seem to have some action from our 'honourable' senators. wink

Let's see how the drama unfolds undecided
Re: Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President by sulad82i(m): 2:27pm On Feb 09, 2010
I'm still waiting to read or hear its official. Our country need to move forward cos all this they are doing might be shoved aside in minutes as we all know. I hope our senators have the love of our country in mind.
Re: Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President by DOAweb(m): 2:44pm On Feb 09, 2010
sulad82i:

I'm still waiting to read or hear its official. Our country need to move forward cos all this they are doing might be shoved aside in minutes as we all know. I hope our senators have the love of our country in mind.

Here you go:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100209/ap_on_re_af/af_nigeria_president

Enjoy cool
Re: Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President by highland(m): 2:45pm On Feb 09, 2010
Thank God . Minister of Justice has failed this time.
Re: Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President by Emperoh(m): 2:48pm On Feb 09, 2010
can someone pls help smack Aondokaa backside for not being able to protect his oga's seat?
Re: Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President by dustydee: 2:54pm On Feb 09, 2010
disHonourable senators a little late
Re: Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President by Nobody: 2:58pm On Feb 09, 2010
Thank God the Nigerian Minister for 'Injustice' Mr Micheal Aandoakaa has finally failed. It is time for Goodluck Jonathan to sack him an appointment a minister for Justice not Minister for INJUSTICE like this so called Tiv SAN lawyer called Aadoakaa
Re: Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President by TeskyMan(m): 3:00pm On Feb 09, 2010
[size=14pt][b]Hey Nairalander, please, please and please, Don't rejoice yet. Do you think an Northerners will give up power just like that? Why do these Senators like confusing themselves? Why couldn't they wait for the FEC to deliberate? Did they suddenly realise another part of the constitution that empowers them to take such a resolution? If the intent for the resolution was genuine, why did they not impeach Yar'adua on grounds of incapacitation, rather than creating another constitutional anomaly? Is this another gimmick that will send Aondoakaa to court to question the jurisdiction of the senate to pass such a resolution?
Let me tell you people point blank - Andoaaka will soon come out to say it's a violation of the constitution as no letter has been dispatched. I see this playing out as follows. Andoaaka declares the move unconstitutional, Bankole refuses to follow suit, the cabinet splits as more move over to Dora's side, we have complete log jam, a constitutional crises and the Generals make their move(which is what the Northerners want in order to retain power in the North)The next few days are critical.

I'll keep my fingers crossed,

Shallom!!!!!!!!!!
[/b][/size]
Re: Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President by Borat1: 3:02pm On Feb 09, 2010
Why should you rejoice because they obeyed the constitution?
Re: Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President by bandely(m): 3:10pm On Feb 09, 2010
~Borat~:

Why should you rejoice because they obeyed the constitution?
You have to rejoice over what happens once in a blue moon! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President by valpraiso: 3:16pm On Feb 09, 2010
It's all a game. The Political class has held the Nigerian masses to ransom. It's a game plan & i know the Military may step in very soon to set up an interim government after looting for a few months. The Nigerian masses are like Pawns in a game of Chess in the hands of all the Politicians. They suffer the most.
Nigeria is sitting on a time bomb which only God can detonate. It's all a matter of time. The break up may come sooner than we think.
Re: Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President by 4Play(m): 3:19pm On Feb 09, 2010
Just heard the news. It's great news, it brings some much needed stability at the helm instead.
Re: Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President by yemmight(m): 3:23pm On Feb 09, 2010
At last. I hope the house wil expidite action on same.
Re: Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President by bisiaet: 3:23pm On Feb 09, 2010
Lets keep all fingers cross and see what is going to be the outcome of the vote and beside I am very sure Andooaka will be preparing now for another showdown to go against whatever the outcome of the vote will be if it does favour him, for me personally I still dont know what Andooaka stand for? Is he for peace? Is he for disrespect of constitution I still don't know. I am waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President by mygladness: 3:37pm On Feb 09, 2010
This is a hoax designed to further complicate the issue and polarize the system. They do not have such power - legally or constitutionally without a written declaration from Yar’adua? Shouldn’t they rather impeach the man for failing to do the right thing so we can move forward? This confirmation is fraudulent, and will sure create another legal stalemate.
Re: Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President by oluking: 3:41pm On Feb 09, 2010
I AGREE WITH YOU COMPLETELY TESKEYMAN, THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS WILL BE CRITICAL. WE HOPE IT DOES NOT TURN OUT FOR THE WORST.
Re: Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President by osi4life: 3:54pm On Feb 09, 2010
[size=8pt]4 the 1st time in many yrs, the senate has done one thing right, so we should commend them. This should be the face of new Nigeria, Goodluck like his name is, is truely with good luck and Nigerias are really lucky.
Re: Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President by osi4life: 3:55pm On Feb 09, 2010
4 the 1st time in many yrs, the senate has done one thing right, so we should commend them. This should be the face of new Nigeria, Goodluck like his name is, is truely with good luck and Nigerias are really lucky.
Re: Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President by blinx4real(m): 4:00pm On Feb 09, 2010
Some people can be so so negative and lily livered , TeskyMan and oluking are classical examples!!
How bad can Nigeria get before we kow that we need to do something, anything to just get this country moving. North agree or no gree o, the constitution must be obeyed and common sense must prevail.
Its reasoning like this that gives Aondokaa n his bunch of rif raffs d guts to call al of us fools
Re: Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President by figment232(m): 4:02pm On Feb 09, 2010
DUMPERS NEEDED URGENTLY FOR HIRE PLEASE CALL 08035420177 0R 08053781492 IF YOU GOT FOR HIRE.
Re: Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President by figment232(m): 4:06pm On Feb 09, 2010
dumpers urgently needed for hire call 08035420177 or 08053781492

Re: Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President by Kx: 4:11pm On Feb 09, 2010
All this while that yaradua was in saudi,the military "maintained".
But now that it is almost certain that J.Goodluck( a southern) will be d presido,
it now seems most likely that another military incursion is imminent cos
come to think of it,majority of the army men are abokis and the north
wouldl rather want to hold on to power than see nigeria move forward.
Re: Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President by kabarka(m): 4:12pm On Feb 09, 2010
THE NORTH WILL NEVER GIVE UP POWER LIKE THIS,
IF THEY DO STH IS AROUND THE CORNER.

Since the assasination of Aguiyi ironsi,they have cling to power
and never let go.Every political elite knows this BECAUSE
Gowon said in ABURI ACCORD,''the boys picked him up at ibadan and
killed him''
OJUKWU replied,'' in the absence of THE SUPREME COMMANDER,the next
in command should take over in the person of OGUNDIPE.''

Gowon replied,' the boys said they can only received ORDER from a high
ranking officer from the north who happens to be Gowon(OJUKWU and GOWON are of the same rank at the time)

SOMETHING IS COOKING IF THEY GIVE UP POWER LIKE THIS.
Re: Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President by FKseun(m): 4:14pm On Feb 09, 2010
We are unfortunately blessed with lots of comedians as leaders! We all know what the constitution says. CAN THE SENATE EMPOWER A VICE PRESIDENT TO ACT AS PRESIDENT  If the Senate could, the constitution wouldn't have requested the President to tranmit,

It is such a pity! A great pity! A country as blessed as ours could be endowed with VISIONLESS & SELFISH LEADERS!
Re: Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President by kbone(m): 4:20pm On Feb 09, 2010
this is the end of part 1 of the movie called Nigeria. The drama continues in part 2, the struggle has just begun
Re: Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President by Akainzo(m): 4:37pm On Feb 09, 2010
This is definitely a hoax! The first rule in law is simple: You cannot give what you do not have.

The National Assembly cannot constitutionally empower anybody, VP Jonathan inclusive, to act as Acting President. They can only exercise such powers when the President WRITES to indicate that he has transferred his rights to his Vice. Not very much that the constitution clearly states that ONLY after they have received a letter for the President. In this case, they have not received anything.

BTW, I thought their is separation of powers in this country and in our constitution, so now the legislature wants to determine the head of the legislature? Mbanu!
Re: Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President by Nobody: 4:45pm On Feb 09, 2010
When injustice and unconstitutional means becomes law, only then will resistance (in whatever form) become a duty.
Re: Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President by vicishow(m): 4:45pm On Feb 09, 2010
Wetin concern me and Nigerian government?
Me i keep making my dough cos i know they have no time for me over there.
anything wey dem like make dem do!
Re: Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President by gbolio4(m): 5:03pm On Feb 09, 2010
TeskyMan:

[size=14pt]The next few days are critical.

[/size]

Spot on, bro. Couldn't have said it any better! Except by putting "very" in-between 'are' & 'critical'
Re: Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President by uzebu714: 5:15pm On Feb 09, 2010
THANK GOD.
MR.PRESIDENT PLS SACK AGF
Re: Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President by Witi(m): 5:21pm On Feb 09, 2010
Goodluck, is indeed a lucky man. I hope he will not be a yes sir man to the likes of Obasanjo, James Ibori and co.
No. 1 agenda should be to sack AGF and other cronies of OBJ, Ibori and co in Yaradua's government.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Okigbo Report: Fg Considers Action Against Babangida / Remembering Tunde Idiagbon / Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.