Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,044 members, 7,818,140 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:47 AM

Three Reasons To Get To Church On Time - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Three Reasons To Get To Church On Time (11060 Views)

Busola Dakolo: Nigerians To Protest At COZA Church On Sunday Over Rape Allegatio / Sex All Night And Then Church On Sunday Morning / Bride's Hair Cut Off At Mountain Of Fire Church On Her Wedding Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Three Reasons To Get To Church On Time by Sambusiness(m): 6:51am On Jul 30, 2017
I must admit, I’m not naturally someone who runs on time. I don’t really like waking up early, and often if I’m in the middle of something I don’t feel like I want to be restrained by deadlines or appointments.

But I’ve recently become convicted of the many reasons to get to church on time, or even early! As young people (especially those of us with our own transport), it’s not really that hard – we don’t have kids to buckle up into the car, or a whole bunch of people to organise.
Getting to church on time is actually really important, and I think we need to be starting to get into this habit in our teenage years.

So without further ado, here are three reasons for you to get to church on time regularly:

1. To meet new people

A few weeks ago at the evening church service I attend, I looked out on the congregation ten minutes before the service was due to start. There in the chairs sat three groups of people who I’d never seen before, glancing through their service handouts. Unfortunately, there were very few regular churchgoers at church at that point (apart from those of us in the band), and so there was no one there talking to them. What a missed opportunity.

Let’s face it – new people are usually the ones who get to church early. And if you get to church even five minutes before the service starts, you can welcome them before the first song even begins.

Our churches need to be welcoming new people, whether they’re Christians visiting from another church, Christians who might be looking at coming to the church, or people who are yet to know Christ just coming along to see what it’s all about. It’s good to meet new people after the service over tea and coffee. But welcoming them – and having a good conversation with them – before the service even begins is going to make them feel so much more at home. It could be the difference that makes them want to come back next week!

2. To encourage the encouragers

I could be a bit biased here, as I’m usually playing in the band at church, but I think it’s true – getting to church on time shows those serving at the service that you appreciate what they do. If you’re there when the service begins, and sing heartily along to the music, listen when the bible is read and listen to what the service’s MC has put together, you are showing that you appreciate the work they are putting in to encourage the church.

Contrast this with regularly turning up fifteen or even twenty minutes into the service. As someone who often is serving up the front at the start of the service, I get the message that you don’t think what goes on at the start of the service with is that important. You don’t value the way the music team has rehearsed and are using their efforts to lead the congregation in praise to God. And you don’t value the work that the MC, the bible readers and the person praying have put into helping the congregation grow in and be encouraged in their faith. You just come to church to hear the sermon – or worse, for the refreshments afterwards!

Of course, the people serving up the front shouldn’t be doing it to impress people – they should be doing it for God. But as fellow brothers and sisters, we should be encouraging them as they encourage us, and appreciate what they do.

3. Because it shows and sets your priorities

Regularly turning up to church late might not seem that big a deal for you. But I think if we’re really honest, it’s just a symptom of the real problem – we don’t see church as important as it should be.

What is it that makes us late for church?

Maybe we were asleep and just wanted a few more minutes in bed.

Maybe we were halfway through a DVD and wanted to finish it off.

Maybe we were hanging out with friends and didn’t want the conversations to end.

Maybe we wanted to stop off at McDonald’s on the way to church, or…

Maybe we were finishing off an assignment that we really should have done earlier.

See, when we do this regularly, we’re putting sleep and entertainment and friends and food and schoolwork before church.

And why is church so important? Because the bible says it is (and for good reasons)!

In Hebrews 10, the author urges his readers:

“Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.” – Hebrews 10:23-25 (NIV)

The same applies for us – we are to hold on to the hope we have in Jesus, and spur one another toward love and good deeds. We’re to keep on meeting together regularly at church – for that is how we encourage each other, as we look for the day when Jesus returns.

Church isn’t just a bunch of randoms meeting in a building each week. It’s not just a combination of readings and songs and talks. It’s the time when we encourage each other in our faith, reminding each other to hold onto the hope we have in Jesus, as we wait for him to return.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Three Reasons To Get To Church On Time by vizkiz: 7:00am On Jul 30, 2017
Not when you attend cele or CAC churches where you close service by 3pm.

I just pity you grin

15 Likes

Re: Three Reasons To Get To Church On Time by exlinklodge: 7:01am On Jul 30, 2017
ok
Re: Three Reasons To Get To Church On Time by pautex: 7:01am On Jul 30, 2017
The earlier the better. Once the angel descend with the early blessing, you gonna be a partaker you will be glad you did.

3 Likes

Re: Three Reasons To Get To Church On Time by Neimar: 7:04am On Jul 30, 2017
k
Re: Three Reasons To Get To Church On Time by hopefulLandlord: 7:05am On Jul 30, 2017
Can modern people not see, buried in all religious texts, what is clearly man's agenda given the time frame? There masked in the words of the bible, and all other religious texts of the time. ...Rape is Ok, homosexuality is not, the concepts of marriage, don't spill your seed on the ground, better to ejaculate in your dead brother’s wife and get her pregnant. There simply saying, MAKE MORE PEOPLE!!! WHY,,, because obviously they, the leader of the time, clearly understood the more people they had under there control, the richer they would become, and the more powerful they were. They were uneducated by today’s standards yes, but they were clearly not stupid. They understood expansion. It was control, plain and simple..... This very agenda is what made religion the power base it is today, though much, much weaker than it was in it's earlier years. To this very day they still don't what to lose what they went to all the trouble to obtain over the years. But even the lower end of the religious hierarchy does not seem to understand this. Your local preachers and churches, they do not understand this, they are just doing what they think is right, based on the biblical texts. They never bothered to question it. they're taught not to. That seems to be a key factor of all religions. Stagnation of intellect. Don't think for yourself, we have done all the thinking for you, and don't listen to any one else but us. Don't question us, or just as we did with Galileo, we will throw you in jail. You just blindly do what we say, the way we say do it, and in return you won't burn in lake of fire for eternity. Oh, and above all,,,don't forget to pay us.

8 Likes

Re: Three Reasons To Get To Church On Time by debiah95(f): 7:05am On Jul 30, 2017
OK noted. Thanks
Re: Three Reasons To Get To Church On Time by psalmson001: 7:06am On Jul 30, 2017
And miss my p-setting seat at the back?.........Never!!!!!
Re: Three Reasons To Get To Church On Time by oleyolu647(m): 7:06am On Jul 30, 2017
Happy Sunday Nlanders

1 Like

Re: Three Reasons To Get To Church On Time by bankyblue(m): 7:07am On Jul 30, 2017
vizkiz:
Not when you attend cele or CAC churches when you close service by 3pm.

I just pity you grin

U took that out of my mouthp
Re: Three Reasons To Get To Church On Time by wunmi590(m): 7:11am On Jul 30, 2017
Nice point OP.

BTW: Its not really about getting to church early that matters, but getting the word or God, I have a lot of people who goes to church just to play, and at the end they gain nothing.

Though I always get to church 30min before service (Mass), may be because I was once an alter, so I prepare myself spiritually before the service get started. My house to my church is just 5min walk.

And even at work, I make sure I get to work also 1 hour before time, to rest from the hustle and bustle of transportation issue and prepare myself for the task ahead.

1 Like

Re: Three Reasons To Get To Church On Time by Oyindidi(f): 7:12am On Jul 30, 2017
I dey car dey wait for man, I think sey na women dey delay men
Re: Three Reasons To Get To Church On Time by CAPSLOCKED: 7:13am On Jul 30, 2017

I NEED TO GO TO CHURCH EARLY SO THAT I CAN BE ABLE TO SIT IN MY FAVORITE FRONT SEAT...

WHICH ENABLES ME TO BE AMONG THE FIRST PEOPLE, IF NOT THE FIRST PERSON, TO DROP SOME OF OUR HARD EARNED INCOMES INTO THE OFFERING BOX OF MY FAVORITE CON ARTIST.

I ALSO LIKE THIS FRONT SEAT BECAUSE SOMETIMES WHEN THE SPEAKERS AREN'T LOUD ENOUGH OR THERE'S A PROBLEM WITH THE MIC, I CAN STILL HEAR THE LIES AND TALES OF DECEIT, SOUND AND CLEAR, DIRECTLY FROM THE PASTOR HIMSELF.

ABEG, WAVE AT ME IF YOU'RE IN YOUR HOUSE OR ANYWHERE ELSE THAN A CHURCH, LISTENING TO LIES THIS MORNING.
undecided

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Three Reasons To Get To Church On Time by Hiccups: 7:17am On Jul 30, 2017
shocked

Like a particular song caption 'Always on time', this rules should not only be applied to church services but everything in life except Death

2 Likes

Re: Three Reasons To Get To Church On Time by Nobody: 7:22am On Jul 30, 2017
4. To get the right spot and meet fine babes
Re: Three Reasons To Get To Church On Time by swiz123(m): 7:23am On Jul 30, 2017
I'd rather not go to church than come late
Re: Three Reasons To Get To Church On Time by Solomonudofia(m): 7:30am On Jul 30, 2017
Ok lemme go prepare for today service mbok

Devastating Message sent to U S by North Korea...... World war III 90% LOADING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dDJUjMuV9Y
Re: Three Reasons To Get To Church On Time by dakeskese(m): 7:34am On Jul 30, 2017
Finally gave my life to Christ... Help me thank God.

Atheism to Christianity is my best move.

One atheist down; 1 new addition to the kingdom.

Halleluyah!!!

9 Likes

Re: Three Reasons To Get To Church On Time by Godstraight(m): 7:39am On Jul 30, 2017
dakeskese:

One atheist gone down; one more addition to the kingdom.

Halleluyah!!!
lol this is so lame
Re: Three Reasons To Get To Church On Time by Nobody: 7:39am On Jul 30, 2017
Am a SABBATHERIAN.. A SABBATH OBSERVER
Re: Three Reasons To Get To Church On Time by blackwhite001: 7:45am On Jul 30, 2017
Re: Three Reasons To Get To Church On Time by adewumiopeyemi(m): 7:48am On Jul 30, 2017
Me wey be say na 10 I dey reach church.. undecided undecided
Re: Three Reasons To Get To Church On Time by spaggyy(m): 7:55am On Jul 30, 2017
Lol
Re: Three Reasons To Get To Church On Time by olowobaba10: 8:05am On Jul 30, 2017
STOP THIS COPY COPY, WHERE DO WE HAVE MCDONALD'S IN NIGERIA ?

1 Like

Re: Three Reasons To Get To Church On Time by Nwabundo38(f): 8:06am On Jul 30, 2017
[quote author=hopefulLandlord post=58967018]Can modern people not see, buried in all religious texts, what is clearly man's agenda given the time frame? There masked in the words of the bible, and all other religious texts of the time. ...Rape is Ok, homosexuality is not, the concepts of marriage, don't spill your seed on the ground, better to ejaculate in your dead brother’s wife and get her pregnant. There simply saying, MAKE MORE PEOPLE!!! WHY,,, because obviously they, the leader of the time, clearly understood the more people they had under there control, the richer they would become, and the more powerful they were. They were uneducated by today’s standards yes, but they were clearly not stupid. They understood expansion. It was control, plain and simple..... This very agenda is what made religion the power base it is today, though much, much weaker than it was in it's earlier years. To this very day they still don't what to lose what they went to all the trouble to obtain over the years. But even the lower end of the religious hierarchy does not seem to understand this. Your local preachers and churches, they do not understand this, they are just doing what they think is right, based on the biblical texts. They never bothered to question it. they're taught not to. That seems to be a key factor of all religions. Stagnation of intellect. Don't think for yourself, we have done all the thinking for you, and don't listen to any one else but us. Don't question us, or just as we did with Galileo, we will throw you in jail. You just blindly do what we say, the way we say do it, and in return you won't burn in lake of fire for eternity. Oh, and above all,,,don't forget to pay us.[/quote
lord have mercy on you

1 Like

Re: Three Reasons To Get To Church On Time by Nwabundo38(f): 8:07am On Jul 30, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
Can modern people not see, buried in all religious texts, what is clearly man's agenda given the time frame? There masked in the words of the bible, and all other religious texts of the time. ...Rape is Ok, homosexuality is not, the concepts of marriage, don't spill your seed on the ground, better to ejaculate in your dead brother’s wife and get her pregnant. There simply saying, MAKE MORE PEOPLE!!! WHY,,, because obviously they, the leader of the time, clearly understood the more people they had under there control, the richer they would become, and the more powerful they were. They were uneducated by today’s standards yes, but they were clearly not stupid. They understood expansion. It was control, plain and simple..... This very agenda is what made religion the power base it is today, though much, much weaker than it was in it's earlier years. To this very day they still don't what to lose what they went to all the trouble to obtain over the years. But even the lower end of the religious hierarchy does not seem to understand this. Your local preachers and churches, they do not understand this, they are just doing what they think is right, based on the biblical texts. They never bothered to question it. they're taught not to. That seems to be a key factor of all religions. Stagnation of intellect. Don't think for yourself, we have done all the thinking for you, and don't listen to any one else but us. Don't question us, or just as we did with Galileo, we will throw you in jail. You just blindly do what we say, the way we say do it, and in return you won't burn in lake of fire for eternity. Oh, and above all,,,don't forget to pay us.
You have a big problem

1 Like

Re: Three Reasons To Get To Church On Time by YesNo(m): 8:18am On Jul 30, 2017
where ever you want to go, whether church or stadium, just go early if you wanna go at all. if not, why bother.?

1 Like

Re: Three Reasons To Get To Church On Time by jamace(m): 8:20am On Jul 30, 2017
"I like your Christ, but I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." - Gandhi

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Three Reasons To Get To Church On Time by seunny4lif(m): 8:21am On Jul 30, 2017
dakeskese:

Halleluyah!!!
Lame

1 Like

Re: Three Reasons To Get To Church On Time by calculator123(m): 8:24am On Jul 30, 2017
dakeskese:

Halleluyah!!!
You were never an atheist

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Great Tribulations After Rapture / Six Ways To Obtain Wisdom From God / Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.