Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,438 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:47 PM

Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? (9393 Views)

What Does This Dream Mean? I Saw My Name Engraved On A Plaque And Then Molten... / What is Sin Against The Holy Spirit That Will Not Be Forgiven?? / Stephanie Otobo's Mother Begs Apostle Suleman: "Please Forgive My Daughter" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by lalanice(f): 7:32pm On Jul 30, 2017
Forgetting doesn't mean it has to leave your memory it just means you should never refer to it again.

1 Like

Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by emsheddy(m): 7:50pm On Jul 30, 2017
Bros, forgive and forget is one big scam. You can forgive. But trust me, you will never forget! Na so e be even for Babylon and Jupiter!
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by charlsecy(m): 8:04pm On Jul 30, 2017
lonikit:
Is it even possible to forget?
To forget is amnesiac.
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by CaptainFM1: 9:12pm On Jul 30, 2017
Even the "forgiven"....Its only God that can forgive truly. When someone hurts us its easier to say we forgive the person. Much more important is to also pray that God forgives the person. Us forgiven someone is nothing!

What then happens when we refuse to forgive the person and he/she prays to God for forgiveness? God may forgive the person. So as humans our forgiveness to one another should be an "expectant forgiveness" from God. He's the Supreme Judge.

So when we do not hold the power to forgive, we do not hold the power to forget. But when God has forgiven someone of wrongdoing to us, He also put smiles back to us so that we don't have to remember it, and if at all we remember it, we remember it to learn and to caution ourselves from similar circumstances.
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by somehow: 8:33am On Jul 31, 2017
Sir I say you are yet to forgive the person, you keep the memory in order to still use it to deal or judge the person in the future. Forgiving means giving the other party a clean bill, not using the past sins to judge his or her potential future with you.
WeNoGoDie:

Forget simply means don't habour hatred or revenge after you have forgiven. It doesn't mean you won't have the mental memories from time to time.

For me I even choose to keep those memories to keep myself on guard when relating with the same person after I've forgiven him/her. Why?... because you find out that people form habits and usually don't change easily even if they want to or are truely sorry.

The implications is that the offense is bound to repeat and even in greater damaging proportion as is seen in most real life cases.

So if you keep the memory, you are able to caution the fellow when you see it happening again or you're able to take all precautions to stop it from happening.

Example is a beloved relative that steals habitually and apologies afterwards all because he has access to your room because of trust.
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by somehow: 8:37am On Jul 31, 2017
And who told you God forgets? Do you read your bible? He never forgets anything and reminds the people of Israel every now and then, even 3000 years old matters are brought forward by God when dealing with the Israelites.
jacyhelen:

only God forgets simple.!!!!
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by bentuzene(m): 1:19pm On Jul 31, 2017
Look at it this way, just say this "I know you hurt me, but for the God's sake, I would not hold it against you because I understand that you are human and Imperfect and i will let it go". That is another way to look at forgive and forget.
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by AlfaAce(m): 6:20pm On Jul 31, 2017
somehow:
And who told you God forgets? Do you read your bible? He never forgets anything and reminds the people of Israel every now and then, even 3000 years old matters are brought forward by God when dealing with the Israelites.
Gbam! We're all suffering for the sins of Adam and Eve so to me,God doesn't forget!
Forgive and forget is nothing but just a big lie.
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by WeNoGoDie(m): 9:57pm On Jul 31, 2017
somehow:
Sir I say you are yet to forgive the person, you keep the memory in order to still use it to deal or judge the person in the future. Forgiving means giving the other party a clean bill, not using the past sins to judge his or her potential future with you.

Sir, please obtain wisdom of practical application first.

If you narrowly escaped from an unrepentant killer hired to kill you, your false counsel requires you to forgive him and forget it all at once and by implication you must not report it to police or take precautionary measures to prevent his next attempt because if you do, you are simply a hypocrite since it means you didn't forget what he did to you.

Even if he pleaded for forgiveness, you are expected to take precautionary measures.
That simply means that you didn't forget even if you did forgive.
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by somehow: 10:27am On Aug 01, 2017
Uhm indirect insult huh?

If you judge anyone with what they did to you in the past, then you haven't forgiven that past sins/offence. Take it or leave it, you can continue sugar coating it, it still won't change what it is.

Forgiveness is forgiveness! Go and have a clean sheet of bill!
WeNoGoDie:

Sir, please obtain wisdom of practical application first.

If you narrowly escaped from an unrepentant killer hired to kill you, your false counsel requires you to forgive him and forget it all at once and by implication you must not report it to police or take precautionary measures to prevent his next attempt because if you do, you are simply a hypocrite since it means you didn't forget what he did to you.

Even if he pleaded for forgiveness, you are expected to take precautionary measures.
That simply means that you didn't forget even if you did forgive.

Why are you chipping in words here? Unrepentant? Are we talking about an unrepentant killer or we are talking about someone who repented already by asking for your forgiveness genuinely?

You can go ahead and keep this fakw forgiveness spirit and be deceiving yourself that you have the spirit of forgiveness.

Forgiveness is giving the person a second chance, a benefit of doubt!

Enjoy sir.
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by somehow: 10:32am On Aug 01, 2017
You can forgive but forgetting depends on the gravity of the offence.
AlfaAce:

Gbam! We're all suffering for the sins of Adam and Eve so to me,God doesn't forget!
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by WeNoGoDie(m): 3:35pm On Aug 01, 2017
somehow:
Uhm indirect insult huh?

If you judge anyone with what they did to you in the past, then you haven't forgiven that past sins/offence. Take it or leave it, you can continue sugar coating it, it still won't change what it is.

Forgiveness is forgiveness! Go and have a clean sheet of bill!

Why are you chipping in words here? Unrepentant? Are we talking about an unrepentant killer or we are talking about someone who repented already by asking for your forgiveness genuinely?

You can go ahead and keep this fakw forgiveness spirit and be deceiving yourself that you have the spirit of forgiveness.

Forgiveness is giving the person a second chance, a benefit of doubt!

Enjoy sir.

I totally dislike hypocrisy and self-righteousness.

It has been clearly proved to any right thinking fellow throughout this thread that forgetting is not possible as there are things the mind cannot erase but you still insist otherwise just to win argument.

No offense, keep your opinion to yourself while I keep mine. Handle it your own way
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by somehow: 4:49pm On Aug 01, 2017
Cheap blackmail wont change what you painted about you no matter how you try to blackmail my ID.

What is true is true, I have no time for semantics.

Have a nice day.
WeNoGoDie:

I totally dislike hypocrisy and self-righteous.

It has been clearly proved to any right thinking fellow throughout this thread that forgetting is not possible as there are things the mind cannot erase but you still insist otherwise just to win argument.

No offense, keep your opinion to yourself while I keep mine. Handle it your own way
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by GenghisAlexa(m): 10:51pm On Aug 01, 2017
Remembering after forgiving is allowed. It's only natural

But when you remember and you feel peace instead of anger, then I believe you have truly forgiven

Forgiveness is not really for the person that wronged you, its for your own inestimably priceless peace of mind.

lonikit:
There are lots of things that people do to hurt another. The christian leaders preach that we Should always forgiven and forget. In my own case I easily forgive but I don't forget whatever you have done either to hurt or to impress me.

Does the fact that I don't forget mean I have not forgiven the person that hurt me.

Is it even possible to forget?
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jan 06, 2018
AlfaAce:

do you accept that all humanity was condemned in Adam?

good then brace yourself for judgement.. if not "'kiss the son'"
Re: Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven? by emmyileri(m): 7:53am On Nov 08, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4URKHvdky8g&t=10s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxiOheZe4ks&t=26s

Watch the videos it's very simple and explanatory
Forgive and forget doesn't mean that you forget it in memory but that you let go of the pain, resentment and bitterness that comes with it

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Happy Father's Day To All Roman Catholic Church Fathers / What We Should Do To Our Enemies As Christians.. / WOW!! The Skull Of Goliath Discovered By German Archeologist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.