Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:02 AM

I Am Now An Open Deist - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Am Now An Open Deist (1946 Views)

10 Fallacies Theist and deist Use To Defend The Existence Of God/gods / Atheist, Agnostic, Deist, And Theist. Basic Things In Understanding Them / An Open Drain, A Street Hawker, A Pastor (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am Now An Open Deist by UyiIredi(m): 8:40pm On Aug 01, 2017
From Christianity to deism to Christianity and back, rinse and repeat 2 more times. My reconversion to Christianity is linked to a state of psychosis. I suffer from schizophrenia with bipolar disorder.

That said, despite reconverting I am not the same person again. Even if Jesus appears to me tomorrow and changes my mimd I won't be the same Christian I was before. A healthy dose of skepticism matters.

Last month, I told my sister that I am a deist and starting 2 weeks ago said it to family and friends on Facebook. I argued a bit about it with my grandmum this morning. The reactions have
been negative as expected but quite heated, not to bitter sha. At least, I am a deist not an atheist (atheists dey try) but still . . . it is not going to be easy. Nigerians are very religious.

3 Likes

Re: I Am Now An Open Deist by McSterling(m): 8:49pm On Aug 01, 2017
Uyi: A man evolving.
Re: I Am Now An Open Deist by UyiIredi(m): 9:52pm On Aug 01, 2017
McSterling:

Noted.
Re: I Am Now An Open Deist by yomi007k(m): 11:52pm On Aug 01, 2017
tongue

Im also a deist.

If u want peace, don't go go around discussing religion...

2 Likes

Re: I Am Now An Open Deist by Nobody: 12:02am On Aug 02, 2017
Labels labels labels. I think there are some christian deists, I think there is one that is active on nairaland-you can be both. Congrats on coming out, there was a time I thought i needed to do it but why?, it's not anyone's business what you believe.

3 Likes

Re: I Am Now An Open Deist by obinna58(m): 12:28am On Aug 02, 2017
That's how it starts
Atheism loading grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Now An Open Deist by Amberon11: 1:51am On Aug 02, 2017
It doesn't matter.
Re: I Am Now An Open Deist by johnydon22(m): 7:29am On Aug 02, 2017
UyiIredi:
From Christianity to deism to Christianity and back, rinse and repeat 2 more times. My reconversion to Christianity is linked to a state of psychosis. I suffer from schizophrenia with bipolar disorder.

That said, despite reconverting I am not the same person again. Even if Jesus appears to me tomorrow and changes my mimd I won't be the same Christian I was before. A healthy dose of skepticism matters.

Last month, I told my sister that I am a deist and starting 2 weeks ago said it to family and friends on Facebook. I argued a bit about it with my grandmum this morning. The reactions have
been negative as expected but quite heated, not to bitter sha. At least, I am a deist not an atheist (atheists dey try) but still . . . it is not going to be easy. Nigerians are very religious.

From Christian to deism then back to Christianity now back again to deism.

I think you will be back again to Christianity and then back again to deism or many you will try pantheism next ...

Please are you same as Uyilderia or something
Re: I Am Now An Open Deist by johnydon22(m): 7:30am On Aug 02, 2017
LightandDarkness:
Labels labels labels. I think there are some christian deists, I think there is one that is active on nairaland-you can be both. Congrats on coming out, there was a time I thought i needed to do it but why?, it's not anyone's business what you believe.

Christian deists? How does that work?

2 Likes

Re: I Am Now An Open Deist by Nobody: 7:39am On Aug 02, 2017
Hello,

UyiIredi:
From Christianity to deism to Christianity and back, rinse and repeat 2 more times...

It is good to evolve and change one's mind about a topic. Nothing wrong with that, in fact that's what intelligent people do.

BUT, this going to and fro, from one Label to another makes the whole thing looks like superficiality and lack of convictions. It also appears like a desire to "taste" new things. My advice would thus be to stop all these labels and you ask yourself sensible questions:

- Why did you move from christianity to Deism in the first place? What were the concrete reasons?

- Why did leave Deism back to christianity? Did those former reasons suddenly disappear to make you come back to Christianity?

- Why do you seem to consider Atheism as a border, never to be crossed? If you are looking for the Truth, you have to consider and analyse objectively and sincerely all options.

- Why do you discuss and defend opinions you seem not to be very sure of?

There is no imperative to have a Label. You can take your time, do your homework, seek the truth without rushing here and there. it takes time but it is of greater value.

I hope you find inner peace and guidance.

Cheers.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Now An Open Deist by johnydon22(m): 7:57am On Aug 02, 2017
LoJ:
Hello,

It is good to evolve and change one's mind about a topic. Nothing wrong with that, in fact that's what intelligent people do.

BUT, this going to and fro, from one Label to another makes the whole thing looks like superficiality and lack of convictions. It also appears like a desire to "taste" new things. My advice would be that to stop all these labels and you ask yourself sensible questions:

- Why did you move from christianity to Deism in the first place? What were the concrete reasons?

- Why did leave Deism back to christianity? Did those former reasons suddenly disappear to make you come back to Christianity?

- Why do you seem to consider Atheism as a border, never to be crossed? If you are looking for the Truth, you have to consider and analysed objectively and sincerely all options.

There is no imperative to have a Label. You can take your time, do your homework, seek the truth without rushing here and there. it takes time but it is of greater value.

Cheers.

Touche !!
Re: I Am Now An Open Deist by WetinConsignMe: 9:03am On Aug 02, 2017
Mumu first define what u mean by deist
Re: I Am Now An Open Deist by hopefulLandlord: 9:38am On Aug 02, 2017
WetinConsignMe:
Mumu first define what u mean by deist

why call him "Mumu" though?

2 Likes

Re: I Am Now An Open Deist by Aaronsrod: 9:56am On Aug 02, 2017
There is no Deist. You are a Devilist.

Jesus is the way the truth and the light. Return to Him.
Re: I Am Now An Open Deist by Nobody: 10:04am On Aug 02, 2017
johnydon22:

Believe and study the moral teachings of Jesus but not his divinity https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_deism
Re: I Am Now An Open Deist by MrMontella(m): 11:57am On Aug 02, 2017
UyiIredi:

atheists Dey try,, I really respect the open ones, it's not easy.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Now An Open Deist by dankol: 12:06pm On Aug 02, 2017
mehn.. since when? infact I am shooked you even consider anything outside religion in the first place. sorry bro, I recall how u use to defend Christianity like you are being paid. welcome back from your delusions.. I hope you stay put except you have verifiable proof.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Now An Open Deist by NairalandSARS: 12:13pm On Aug 02, 2017
UyiIredi:

please how do you cope with your schizophrenia? What meds are you on? Where you tested?
Re: I Am Now An Open Deist by Nobody: 1:34pm On Aug 02, 2017
NairalandSARS:

please how do you cope with your schizophrenia? What meds are you on? Where you tested?

Curious about this as well. Also interested in how you manage your schizophrenia and bipolar disorder at the same time if f you care to share
Re: I Am Now An Open Deist by johnydon22(m): 3:12pm On Aug 02, 2017
LightandDarkness:

Believe and study the moral teachings of Jesus but not his divinity https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_deism
Ok that has striking resemblance with Christian Atheism

1 Like

Re: I Am Now An Open Deist by ifenes(m): 3:59pm On Aug 02, 2017
What is it with all these labels and tags ? No one is anything and yet everything
Re: I Am Now An Open Deist by CoolUsername: 5:00pm On Aug 03, 2017
johnydon22:

Kind of like how Bill Gates is an atheist who subscribes to Christian teachings (the good ones). Likewise you can be a deist who subscribes to Christian teachings.

These people generally reject the mythology.
Re: I Am Now An Open Deist by johnydon22(m): 12:18pm On Aug 04, 2017
CoolUsername:

Kind of like how Bill Gates is an atheist who subscribes to Christian teachings (the good ones).
Yeah Christian atheism

Likewise you can be a deist who subscribes to Christian teachings.

These people generally reject the mythology.
i get it now, thanks brother
Re: I Am Now An Open Deist by UyiIredi(m): 3:11pm On Aug 05, 2017
LoJ:
Hello,

BUT, this going to and fro, from one Label to another makes the whole thing looks like superficiality and lack of convictions. It also appears like a desire to "taste" new things. My advice would thus be to stop all these labels and you ask yourself sensible questions:

- Why do you seem to consider Atheism as a border, never to be crossed? If you are looking for the Truth, you have to consider and analyse objectively and sincerely all options.

Cheers.

I noticed that my "reconversion" to Christianity reoccurred after I was in a state of psychosis including the strange event that happened on 2013. Otherwise, I was a deist.

In UyiIredia's "Ask Me Anything" thread I mentioned I was a Christian though I was a deist fearing that another reconversion would happen in my psychotic state. It happened again around September 2015 and I wrote threads on NL during then. It's bad and good, bad because of the psychosis and good because there is a record of what I was thinking.

The reason why I am coming forth with this info now is because I have not fallen into psychosis for a year now though there have been close shaves.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Now An Open Deist by UyiIredi(m): 3:14pm On Aug 05, 2017
LightandDarkness:

Curious about this as well. Also interested in how you manage your schizophrenia and bipolar disorder at the same time if f you care to share

I rememeber how I was thinking when in a psychotic state and can recognize when those thoughts come. In the past 6 years since it first happened I have gotten better at second-guessing when it starts. I also started a blog and began being open about my deism as a means of catharsis.

I also have started taking my drugs more seriously after my concerns were allayed by a US-trained psychiatrist. My psychiatrists are quite flippant with my case esp where it concerns psychotherapy.

1 Like

Re: I Am Now An Open Deist by UyiIredi(m): 3:31pm On Aug 05, 2017
LoJ:
Hello,

Hi!

LoJ:

Noted.

LoJ:

My psychosis. Schizohrenic with bipolar disorder, remember. I have been hearing voices in my head since I was young.

LoJ:

[b]- Why did you move from christianity to Deism in the first place? What were the concrete reasons?

1) The morality of God along with Jesus' death on the cross made no sense to me. I was convinced by atheists on that.
2) Jesus can't be God. That's like a square circle. Jesus died, God cannot die.
3) Hard evidence needed to know God is Christ as. I hear voices in my head as a schizophrenic patient. How do I know which is the Holy Spirit? If God ordained Christianity and wants me in heaven he knows what will convince me already.

LoJ:

Something always triggered a state of psychsosis and it would make me a Christian. I now wonder whether there is a level of split-personality disorder at play because of it.

LoJ:

- Why do you seem to consider Atheism as a border, never to be crossed?

I explored atheism in-depth to the extemt of arguing like an atheist on NL for 6 months. I was inspired by a Christian pastor Ryan Bell

http://www.npr.org/2014/12/27/373298310/after-year-of-atheism-former-pastor-i-dont-think-god-exists

I never became an atheist. I am rocksure of the arguments showing there is a God.

LoJ:

If you are looking for the Truth, you have to consider and analyse objectively and sincerely all options.

I still search for the truth. But for now I am a deist, that's the wisest course to take from my experiences now. I still have vestiges of my Christian faith eg I think miracles happen.

LoJ:

- Why do you discuss and defend opinions you seem not to be very sure of?[/b]

To explore them as a curious person.

LoJ:

I am a deist. The Christian ish has been linked to psychosis. I just didn't say that for 6 years though a discerning person should have known from my strange posts.

LoJ:

Cheers.

Thanks.
Re: I Am Now An Open Deist by Nobody: 4:18pm On Aug 05, 2017
UyiIredi:

I rememeber how I was thinking when in a psychotic state and can recognize when those thoughts come. In the past 6 years since it first happened I have gotten better at second-guessing when it starts. I also started a blog and began being open about my deism as a means of catharsis.

I also have started taking my drugs more seriously after my concerns were allayed by a US-trained psychiatrist. My psychiatrists are quite flippant with my case esp where it concerns psychotherapy.

How old were you when it began. It's good you have a competent psychiatrist in a country were church is the next option.
Re: I Am Now An Open Deist by UyiIredi(m): 4:25pm On Aug 05, 2017
LightandDarkness:

How old were you when it began. It's good you have a competent psychiatrist in a country were church is the next option.

I was 20 when it began in March 2011.
Re: I Am Now An Open Deist by ScepticalPyrrho: 6:51pm On Aug 05, 2017
UyiIredi:

I never became an atheist. I am rocksure of the arguments showing there is a God.

You might want to scratch this part. Because you are mincing contradictory words together in one sentence. It doesn't pass the test of scrutiny.

How does argument SHOW there is a God?

If you are ROCKSURE you should be a theist not a deist.
Re: I Am Now An Open Deist by Akindarchi(m): 7:48pm On Aug 05, 2017
You might want to objectively consider islam, just putting it out there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am Now An Open Deist by Nobody: 8:37pm On Aug 05, 2017
I was a deist...now a Christain...I pray Jesus The Christ reveals Himself to you.
Re: I Am Now An Open Deist by plaetton: 10:42pm On Aug 05, 2017
McSterling:
Lol.
Evolving sideways rather than upward.

grin
grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Darwinian Evolution Doesn't Pass The Scientific Test. / My Open Reply To "Lordreed" On His Argument Concerning The Existence Of God / Jesus Christ Was A Liberal Not Conservative, Christians Should Live Like Christ.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.