Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,631 members, 7,816,602 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:45 PM

Lagos Will Become The Africa 3rd Largest economy Before I Die- OBJ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Will Become The Africa 3rd Largest economy Before I Die- OBJ (807 Views)

A Good Reminder About Nigeria Economy Before And Now. / The Lagos Of Our Dreams: This Is What Lagos Will Be Like By 2025 - Ambode / Olusegun Obasanjo: Before I Die, Lagos Will Become Africa’s 3rd Largest Economy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Lagos Will Become The Africa 3rd Largest economy Before I Die- OBJ by farem: 10:52pm On Aug 02, 2017
A former Nigerian President, Olusegun Obasanjo, on Wednesday, said Lagos will become Africa’s third largest economy in a very short time.
Mr. Obasanjo made this known at the book launch of a book titled, “Making Africa Work”, co-authored by the former president and three other authors.
The other authors are Greg Mills, Director of Brenthurst Foundation; Jeffrey Herbst, President of NEWSEUM and Dickie Davis, a retired major general.
The former president said the Lagos State government is working towards making the state an economic hub, which he jocularly said would come to fruition before he passes on.
Mr. Obasanjo, who is the chair of Brenthurst Foundation, disclosed that plans are underway for the foundation and Lagos state government to make the state the third largest economy on the continent.
“(Even though) People said I look like someone who is in the departure lounge,” Mr. Obasanjo said, “Lagos will become the third largest economy before I take my boarding pass.”
The former president also said that Africa is not a poor continent, adding that the continent is only poor by choice.
He enjoined Africans to focus on wealth creation and job opportunities, saying the continent should complain less about poverty.
“Africa is poorly managed,” he said, adding that, “We are poor by choice (and) we will also get out of that poverty by choice.”

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/238973-lagos-will-become-africas-third-largest-economy-i-die-obasanjo.html
Re: Lagos Will Become The Africa 3rd Largest economy Before I Die- OBJ by MrMaestro: 10:57pm On Aug 02, 2017
That's not really a dramatic statement. Everyone knows Lagos is on the verge of becoming the 3rd largest economy in Africa as a state alone. It truly is primed to be the New York of Africa. Lagos has monopolized the major business of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Will Become The Africa 3rd Largest economy Before I Die- OBJ by Nobody: 12:25am On Aug 03, 2017
Lols.Obj!
Same obj who denied lagos allocation for four years.
This baba cha!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Will Become The Africa 3rd Largest economy Before I Die- OBJ by deomello: 1:34am On Aug 03, 2017
taoheedoriloye:
Lols.Obj!
This baba cha!

I do agree with the man's assertion and I even think it's around the corner.

Danote's refinery, largest single refinery in the world, largest petrochemical plant in Africa, largest fertilizer plant in Africa and largest gas plant in Africa with 12,000 MW power plant all in Lags state.

Yes, this is achievable even in less than 4-5 years.

...but this should have happened years and decades ago if not for mean spirited, political and vindictive actions take by the same OBJ and other Nigerian leaders that slowed Lagos down.

OBJ betrayed Lagos when he sabotaged Lagos state's 1st IPP/271MW built by Tinubu and this single action is the reason why Lagos state is not getting 24/7 power supply and in effect slowing the state down economically.

Lagos state also awarded a metro trail contract back in the 80's under Jakande/30 years ago, but after mobilization by the French contractors in Lagos/Yaba to be specific, the FG led by Buhari canceled that project for another political, regional, tribal other absurd reasons.

Now 30 years later under Fashola, the metro rail plan is in almost a reality.

Lagosians are blessed with great leaders with strong state pride and sense of purpose and duty, but the FG remains a stumbling block and monkey on their back.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Will Become The Africa 3rd Largest economy Before I Die- OBJ by Volksfuhrer(m): 4:52am On Aug 03, 2017
taoheedoriloye:
Lols.Obj!
This baba cha!

True. Baba should have kept quiet about this.
Re: Lagos Will Become The Africa 3rd Largest economy Before I Die- OBJ by Redoil: 5:01am On Aug 03, 2017
What if biafra move away b4 then
Re: Lagos Will Become The Africa 3rd Largest economy Before I Die- OBJ by omenka(m): 5:28am On Aug 03, 2017
Redoil:
I don't think they were factored into the equation in the first place. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Will Become The Africa 3rd Largest economy Before I Die- OBJ by pelumi111: 5:30am On Aug 03, 2017
Baba iyabo you well so did you do anything for spectacular for lagos state when you were the President?? Ohh you denied them allocation for 4 good years and you refused to honour court rulling....... I think Tinubu and his boys ( ambode and fashola) deserves all the credit he might be a crook but he definitely moved lagos to where it is today
Re: Lagos Will Become The Africa 3rd Largest economy Before I Die- OBJ by eunisam: 6:01am On Aug 03, 2017
One of them have spoken. this same people, the same generation, the same political ideology, the same everything.
God please wipe away this people from among us. they have caused us agony
Re: Lagos Will Become The Africa 3rd Largest economy Before I Die- OBJ by Pavore9: 6:04am On Aug 03, 2017
Lagos is the big apple.
Re: Lagos Will Become The Africa 3rd Largest economy Before I Die- OBJ by Sanchez01: 7:28am On Aug 03, 2017
Redoil:
Honestly, I'm not sure many understand that potentiality cum importance of Lagos. The survival of Lagos does not depend on a people, rather, it's the other way around.

Lagos is just about the only state all other states would have been but have not yet become.
Re: Lagos Will Become The Africa 3rd Largest economy Before I Die- OBJ by Mynd44: 8:04am On Aug 03, 2017

(1)

What A Wow: Abuja-kaduna Rail Generates N1m Daily, Says Minister / We Would Kill Buhari Like Goliath - Asari Dokubor VIDEO / [PHOTO] Nigerian Soldiers Brutalizing Biafran Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.