Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,607 members, 7,816,507 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:16 PM

Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses (12523 Views)

ECOWAS Adopts ECO As Name Of Single Currency / NIPOST Returned My Missing Packages​..my Nairaland Success Story! / Help!!! Nipost Has Dealt With Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses by Nobody: 10:03am On Aug 03, 2017
NIPOST has announced its adoption of the innovative global addressing system what3words, making Nigeria the seventh country to do so.

Nigeria is Africa’s largest economy and it’s the most populous country with approximately 184 million inhabitants. It has the seventh largest population in the world.

Poor addressing system has ensured that only 20 percent of Nigerian inhabitants receive mail at home.

According to a news story distributed by APO, 79 percent of homes and businesses cannot receive deliveries to the door, and the remaining one percent receives their mail using one of the 478,000 P.O. boxes throughout the country.

A postcode system does exist, but only five percent of mail gets properly addressed with the postcode, hampering the efforts of NIPOST to improve its quality of service.

But in a determined bid to improve this situation, NIPOST has set itself the ambitious target of increasing home delivery to 70 percent within the next two years and 90 percent by 2020 through the Mail for Every House Initiative (MEHI), and has adopted what3words to help it achieve these goals.

The innovative global addressing system has divided the world into 57 trillion 3m x 3m squares, each with a unique 3 word address.

It means that every home and business in Nigeria has a simple and accurate address that is easy to remember and to use.

Available in 14 languages, with many more currently in development, what3words is used in over 170 countries by governments, postal services, logistics companies, emergency services and NGOs, as well as individuals.

It is more accurate than traditional street addresses, simpler than landmark-based directions, and easier to remember and communicate than GPS coordinates.

The system has built-in error detection and is available through a free mobile app and API integration. The system even works offline, without a data connection.

“We are very pleased to be collaborating with what3words as an addressing solution with huge potential to unlock opportunities” said Barrister Bisi Adegbuyi, Nigeria’s Postmaster General.

“Better addressing is a key to NIPOST’s agenda, which aims to transform, innovate, and deliver more services to more people all over the country.”

Young people make up 62% of Nigeria’s population, and this is reflected in the significant increase in cross border e-commerce in the country; 53,612 parcels and packets were handled in 2016 (approx. 200 per day) which is up 70% since 2014.

The e-commerce market is currently worth $12 billion, but there is still huge potential for growth. With improvements to infrastructure, innovation around payment systems and a reliable addressing system, Nigerian e-commerce could be set to take off at an incredible scale.

“With a rapidly growing ecommerce ecosystem, Nigeria is a very exciting country to be working with,” said Chris Sheldrick, CEO and Co-founder of what3words.

“Postal services have a critical role in building a strong economy and NIPOST are firmly focused on the future, and are taking steps to modernise and grow their capacity and range of services.”

SOURCE: https://brandspurng.com/nipost-adopts-3-word-addresses/

1 Like

Re: Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses by Actuarydeji(m): 10:06am On Aug 03, 2017
Will that one bring food on my table. Yeyenatu
Re: Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses by graciousme(f): 10:09am On Aug 03, 2017
How will this work?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses by madgoat(m): 11:48am On Aug 03, 2017
Rubbish.. .. NIPOST is dead. Emails and other delivery agencies have taken over. I wonder who still uses NIPOST. All they do there is open your mails and steal packages especially when sent from abroad.

4 Likes

Re: Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses by froz(m): 6:57am On Aug 04, 2017
o rili
Re: Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses by NwaAmaikpe: 7:41am On Aug 04, 2017
shocked

That's a nice one from the Postmaster.
I've never gotten postages from Nipost..upon enquiry, I was told it was my address.

#12B, Uzontaejiagaogbanankume lane, off Nkemjinaanyigbum street. Umuakpirido layout.
Nsugbe.

So I already got my '3-word address' for NIPOST.
It is
Just Fvck Off.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses by emmy4lov(m): 7:41am On Aug 04, 2017
Nice one ..

But they seriously need to upgrade their services, Nigeria's e-commerce is growing very face and we need reliable and cheap shipping services for sending goods.

HTC one m9 for quick sale
07065173203 whatsapp/call Lagos

6 Likes

Re: Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses by flyca: 7:43am On Aug 04, 2017
madgoat:
Rubber... NIPOST is dead. Emails and other delivery agencies have taken over.

Not only letters need to be delivered.

I've been expecting NIPOST to lead in delivery services in Nigeria. Why will I have to use UPS or DHL to deliver documents from one street to another within Lagos? Or give them to Peace Driver to take it to Markudi? Or buy some stuffs online and there is no delivery company to bring it to my village in Sanko?

These are some of the things the National Carrier should take charge of. NIPOST shouldn't be left for dead!

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses by nototribalist: 7:43am On Aug 04, 2017
Nipost that steals people's parcel like kilode

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses by DrayZee: 7:43am On Aug 04, 2017
Modified:
Ok, we definitely need this.

This will make the services of UPS and DHL easier.
Though, we would need well defined streets for that, with good roads.

4 Likes

Re: Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses by Antoeni(m): 7:44am On Aug 04, 2017
So Nipost still exist
Re: Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses by DrayZee: 7:45am On Aug 04, 2017
flyca:

Not only letters need tone delivered
What else?
Jumia and the rest haven't complained, have they?
Re: Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses by bot101(m): 7:46am On Aug 04, 2017
See the positive effect of Aliexpress. Hehehe.

10 Likes

Re: Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses by ivolt: 7:47am On Aug 04, 2017
Actuarydeji:

Yes, if you know the correct code for your home address.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses by Opinionated: 7:47am On Aug 04, 2017
DrayZee:
I don't think we need this.
Who receives physical mail these days anyway?

Millions. This is a great initiative, never mind the mindless people writing nonsense.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses by Nobody: 7:49am On Aug 04, 2017
DrayZee:

What else?

you are obviously very ignorant.

You probably have never travelled out before, so you don't know what development means

12 Likes

Re: Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses by Kizyte(m): 7:49am On Aug 04, 2017
madgoat:
NIPOST not dead bro, I still receive my parcels from different countries via NIPOST.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses by ivolt: 7:49am On Aug 04, 2017
madgoat:

Email cannot deliver physical products,
there are no reliable and widespread Nigerian delivery agency.
Foreign country originated parcels often go missing due to poor addressing system.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses by lalaboi(m): 7:49am On Aug 04, 2017
madgoat:

It's always the ones that don't know how things work or have an idea that'll be commenting moronic views like this.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses by Wiseandtrue(f): 7:50am On Aug 04, 2017
Na Three word addresses get all this epistle
Re: Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses by theSpark(m): 7:50am On Aug 04, 2017
Cool. It's a very innovative idea.

3 Likes

Re: Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses by flyca: 7:51am On Aug 04, 2017
DrayZee:

What else?
Read my post again.
Jumia is a private business.
NIPOST is a national carrier. Their full presence will make delivery services cheaper and also bring the government closer to the grassroots.

Besides Jumia will only deliver things you buy from their stores. What about sending your younger brother his admission letter to him in the village? Jumia will do that too? undecided

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses by WORLDPEACE(m): 7:51am On Aug 04, 2017
DrayZee:

What else?
Jumia and the rest can benefit from an efficient NIPOST. It will save both them and their customers a lot.

8 Likes

Re: Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses by DrayZee: 7:51am On Aug 04, 2017
Cacawa2:

you are obviously very ignorant.

You probably have never travelled out before, so you don't know what development means
Hold up. I've already modified and said it is required.
Re: Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses by anonymous20: 7:51am On Aug 04, 2017
The role of postal services in businesses is overrated in Nigeria
I pray it grows and they dont overcharge.At least it will increase the traffic for some businesses. ;Dhope they allow sending of cars sha grin
Logistics no kuku sweet us

1 Like

Re: Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses by menxer: 7:52am On Aug 04, 2017
53,612 parcels and packets were handled in 2016 (approx. 200 per day) which is up 70% since 2014.

That is unbelievable in this Buhari induced recession?

Where is the link to the app?

Edit:
I have seen it on Google play store
Re: Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses by bbbabes(f): 7:52am On Aug 04, 2017
Actuarydeji:

Everything is not about food, too much food can kill you self

2 Likes

Re: Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses by maisauki: 7:52am On Aug 04, 2017
Please Someone With Better Understanding Should Explain This Cos AYaMNotUnderstanding
Re: Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses by DrayZee: 7:55am On Aug 04, 2017
flyca:

Read my post again.
Ok. But do you really think Nigeria can actually achieve this?
Especially that part about delivery to villages. Some places just won't be included at all.
Honestly, this might just be another avenue to siphon money.
But I get your points.
Re: Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses by Ijaya123: 7:56am On Aug 04, 2017
Actuarydeji:

It will. When you start working with NIPOST.
Re: Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses by seangy4konji: 7:58am On Aug 04, 2017
Just imagine how effective usps and Royal Mail her. For cheap prices and they deliver with effective tracking to know where your goods are. That's how things should be.

2 Likes

Re: Nipost Adopts 3 Word Addresses by Nobody: 8:00am On Aug 04, 2017
this would be great for business

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

11 Ways To Grow Your Money 2 BY STEPSGUIDE / IMF Doubts Nigeria’s Capacity To Repay Debts / Communications Tax: 25% Of Licensed Operators To Shut Down

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.