Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,988 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:00 AM

Budget: FG Raises Non-oil GDP Projection To N104tn - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Budget: FG Raises Non-oil GDP Projection To N104tn (5391 Views)

Fg Raises N7bn From Savings Bond In 10 Months / Budget: FG Targets N100bn From Islamic Bond, And / FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Budget: FG Raises Non-oil GDP Projection To N104tn by eakenbor: 8:50am On Aug 06, 2017
Re: Budget: FG Raises Non-oil GDP Projection To N104tn by Nobody: 8:58am On Aug 06, 2017
eakenbor:
Our entire GDP is 123 trn naira (405 bn USD). Check google. So you mean our non oil GDP will now become 104 trn naira (85%) of the total GDP? Use your brain please!

whats exactly ur point?...........cos, it seems u don't understand whats going on here.
Re: Budget: FG Raises Non-oil GDP Projection To N104tn by emmyfizzy12(m): 9:02am On Aug 06, 2017
nextprince:
Abeg, where are the Economics experts?

Because I don't understand anything in this report laced with so many professional jargon.

I'm seeing 2017 budget and 104trn, even though the budget is around 7trn, I'm confused. Though I know it has to do with improvement on what is on ground, these jargons are not allowing me to understand the message. As in what exactly is GDP, in a layman language?
I can't even read any long epistle again...what 're they even saying? Biko is buhari back? embarassed tongue shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Budget: FG Raises Non-oil GDP Projection To N104tn by eakenbor: 9:08am On Aug 06, 2017
Oil accounts for over 70% of our GDP and not 15%. Use your brain!

shervydman:

whats exactly ur point?...........cos, it seems u don't understand whats going on here.
Re: Budget: FG Raises Non-oil GDP Projection To N104tn by Nobody: 9:18am On Aug 06, 2017
eakenbor:
Oil accounts for over 70% of our GDP and not 15%. Use your brain!

NO, VERY WRONG.............oil accounts for less than 10% of our GDP.it only account for about 90% of our foreign revenue which the government want to tackle.

services and agriculture actually generate the highest percentage to our GDP.
Re: Budget: FG Raises Non-oil GDP Projection To N104tn by juman(m): 9:24am On Aug 06, 2017
shervydman:

lol......Nigerians won't kill me on a good Sunday morning.

federal govt of Nigeria is not just APC but comprises of legislative, judiciary and executive arms.

please, read the link......https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Nigeria

stop all these ur party politics

You are funny. grin grin

This is a developing country.
Federal government means the president.
The president represent his party.

APC is a confused party that destroyed nigerian economy but does not know what to do to enliven the economy back.
Re: Budget: FG Raises Non-oil GDP Projection To N104tn by Nobody: 9:29am On Aug 06, 2017
juman:

You are funny. grin grin

The president represent his party.
Re: Budget: FG Raises Non-oil GDP Projection To N104tn by Bede2u(m): 9:30am On Aug 06, 2017
shervydman:

aw can u explain the 2nd emboldened statement in relation to the first?
money can also be generated thru taxes. No? Taxes however dont form part of GDP
Re: Budget: FG Raises Non-oil GDP Projection To N104tn by Nobody: 9:31am On Aug 06, 2017
juman:

You are funny. grin grin

The president represent his party

APC is a confused party that destroyed nigerian economy but does not know what to do to enliven the economy back.

grin grin grin grin.............. I take the bolded statement as a joke.

I've told u to stop party politics. its more than party and positions.
Re: Budget: FG Raises Non-oil GDP Projection To N104tn by Nobody: 9:47am On Aug 06, 2017
Bede2u:
yes.....money can be generated through taxes. but u need to understand that taxes and GDP are two parallel terms, they can never be the same.

taxes are meant for financing government expenditure like building of roads and basic amenities.

GDP on the other hand is the contribution of each sector/industries to the economy.

taxes does not contribute to the economy but contributes to the government budget or expenditure.
Re: Budget: FG Raises Non-oil GDP Projection To N104tn by mikolo80: 9:47am On Aug 06, 2017
mrvitalis:
This is our problem we have a gdp of close to a hundred trillion and yet taxing out 40 trillion to run our country is hard

Either the money get stolen before they even get to the government or we have had some very compotent government since 1999

All this is all a grand plan to get the people do be uninterested in government since they contribute little
I always laugh when ppl say no state is viable except Lagos.
Re: Budget: FG Raises Non-oil GDP Projection To N104tn by Bede2u(m): 9:55am On Aug 06, 2017
shervydman:

yes.....money can be generated through taxes. but u need to understand that taxes and GDP are two parallel terms, they can never be the same.

taxes are meant for financing government expenditure like building of roads and basic amenities.

GDP on the other hand is the contribution of each sector/industries to the economy.

taxes does not contribute to the economy but contributes to the government budget or expenditure.

Yes u are right. But u did not specify it like dis b4
Re: Budget: FG Raises Non-oil GDP Projection To N104tn by Nobody: 9:57am On Aug 06, 2017
Bede2u:

Yes u are right. But u did not specify it like dis b4
ok.....my apology.
Re: Budget: FG Raises Non-oil GDP Projection To N104tn by jaytime(m): 10:30am On Aug 06, 2017
Bede2u:
shervydman:

I think this is where you both are getting it wrong. Taxes don't fly in from heaven, they are derived from GDP. It is one of the means through which government gets income(revenue) from GDP (which is the sum total output of every economic entity) to finance its programmes and policies for the benefit of everybody that contributed to the GDP.
That's why GDP and tax always change in the same direction.
In this particular Nigerian case, government is invariably targeting increasing non oil revenue and tax will form a chunk of that. So they have to increase non oil income (output) first.
Re: Budget: FG Raises Non-oil GDP Projection To N104tn by OBAGADAFFI: 11:14am On Aug 06, 2017
Well it is a proposal
Re: Budget: FG Raises Non-oil GDP Projection To N104tn by buffalowings: 11:14am On Aug 06, 2017
Wetin consign me
Re: Budget: FG Raises Non-oil GDP Projection To N104tn by Nobody: 9:16pm On Aug 06, 2017
jaytime:

I think this is where you both are getting it wrong. Taxes don't fly in from heaven, they are derived from GDP. It is one of the means through which government gets income(revenue) from GDP (which is the sum total output of every economic entity) to finance its programmes and policies for the benefit of everybody that contributed to the GDP.
That's why GDP and tax always change in the same direction.
In this particular Nigerian case, government is invariably targeting increasing non oil revenue and tax will form a chunk of that. So they have to increase non oil income (output) first.
tax is derived from GDP? how?...........I thought tax is derived from personal or corporate income and indirect tax is levied on goods and services?

i'll like u to explain more on how its gotten from GDP.
Re: Budget: FG Raises Non-oil GDP Projection To N104tn by jaytime(m): 10:41pm On Aug 06, 2017
shervydman:

tax is derived from GDP? how?...........I thought tax is derived from personal or corporate income and indirect tax is levied on goods and services?

i'll like u to explain more on how its gotten from GDP.

Brother, tax is a component of GDP. Before you are taxed, you must have been involved in some economic activities and earned income; isn't it? Now that income that you earned is it not part of GDP? Then government taxes you and that your tax now forms part of government spending which is an integral part of GDP. A mere look at the later part of your question will tell you more about what I'm explaining here. Those personal, corporate income and the goods and services you are talking about, are they not components of GDP?
Don't forget what you were taught in your o'level economics that GDP = C + G + I + NX; where C is all private consumption, or consumer spending in the country, G is the sum of government spending, I is the sum of all the country's investment, including businesses capital expenditures and NX is the country's total net exports, which is total exports minus total imports.
I'm sure from that equation you can identify where direct and indirect taxes you talked about fall into.
Re: Budget: FG Raises Non-oil GDP Projection To N104tn by Nobody: 10:50pm On Aug 06, 2017
jaytime:

Brother, tax is a component of GDP. Before you are taxed, you must have been involved in some economic activities and earned income; isn't it? Now that income that you earned is it not part of GDP? Then government taxes you and that your tax now forms part of government spending which is an integral part of GDP. A mere look at the later part of your question will tell you more about what I'm explaining here. Those personal, corporate income and the goods and services you are talking about, are they not components of GDP?
Don't forget what you were taught in your o'level economics that GDP = C + G + I + NX; where C is all private consumption, or consumer spending in the country, G is the sum of government spending, I is the sum of all the country's investment, including businesses capital expenditures and NX is the country's total net exports, which is total exports minus total imports.
I'm sure from that equation you can identify where direct and indirect taxes you talked about fall into.

thanks....gotcha!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please Suggest Catchy Names For My Supermarket / A New Business Idea With Picture Of Getting Started. / How much does Bitumen cost per tonne?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.