Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,936 members, 7,863,309 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 03:02 PM

Day 2: Nigeria's Acting Leader Woos Oil Companies - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Day 2: Nigeria's Acting Leader Woos Oil Companies (698 Views)

Updates-Day 2 Of Bukola Saraki Trial / Nigeria: Senate Screens Buhari’s Ministers (day 2) – LIVE UPDATES / See How Ahmadu Bello Greeted Queen Elizabeth On Her Visit 2 Nigeria In 1956(pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Day 2: Nigeria's Acting Leader Woos Oil Companies by rebranded(m): 10:04pm On Feb 11, 2010
Nigeria's new acting president, Goodluck Jonathan, is attempting to breathe life into the nation's ailing energy sector just two days after assuming the duties of President Umaru Yar'Adua, who has been out of the country since November with health problems.

Mr. Jonathan summoned several executives from foreign oil companies on Thursday to meet with top Nigerian officials. A focal point of the talks: militants who have sabotaged pipelines, disrupting production and oil prices.

Mr. Jonathan is Nigeria's first president from an ethnic minority or the Niger Delta—an area the size of England that is rich in oil but long plagued by poverty and violence against the energy industry. That ethnic background could help him work with militants in consolidating the peace process, say officials and analysts.

"There's concern that the militants are getting irritated and worried," said Emmanuel Egbogah, the president's oil adviser.

Under the peace program that began last summer, the Nigerian government has essentially paid militants to lay down their arms. However, the delta's main militant group recently called off its cease fire because of its unhappiness over how little money the government is putting into the region.

Wale Tinubu, chief executive of Oando PLC, Nigeria's biggest nonstate energy company by revenue and oil production, said he thinks Mr. Jonathan's ascent to power could spur the reconciliation process between the government and militants.

"Jonathan will make a renewed push towards peace in the Delta and I do believe that will reassure investors in the oil industry," said Mr. Tinubu who wasn't at Thursday's government meeting. Executives from Chevron Corp., ExxonMobil Corp. and Royal Dutch Shell PLC, among other companies, attended the meeting with government officials, according to Mr. Egbogah, the government oil adviser.

Read More: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704337004575059513069700470.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
Re: Day 2: Nigeria's Acting Leader Woos Oil Companies by rebranded(m): 10:04pm On Feb 11, 2010
God bless Goodluck Jonathan!!! Day 2 hitting the ground running cheesy
Re: Day 2: Nigeria's Acting Leader Woos Oil Companies by rebranded(m): 10:12pm On Feb 11, 2010
More:

Nigeria's acting president swears in officials:
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5525623-146/nigerias_acting_president_swears_in_officials.csp

Anti-Graft War - Jonathan Summons, Waziri, EFCC Boss:
http://allafrica.com/stories/201002110302.html

Finally Nigeria has a President smiley

God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria!
Re: Day 2: Nigeria's Acting Leader Woos Oil Companies by sulad82i(m): 10:55pm On Feb 11, 2010
I hope he will be allowed to carry out all these and more.
Re: Day 2: Nigeria's Acting Leader Woos Oil Companies by xterra2(m): 12:13am On Feb 12, 2010
I hope he is a good presido,let he bring robust changes even for a year
Re: Day 2: Nigeria's Acting Leader Woos Oil Companies by shotster50(m): 12:23am On Feb 12, 2010
Goodluck Jonathan should change his name to Magic Jonathan., with the kind of expectations Nigerians are vesting on him.
Re: Day 2: Nigeria's Acting Leader Woos Oil Companies by olafolarin(m): 12:38am On Feb 12, 2010
Nigeria has a President eventually, I hope he will continue the recommendations of the amnesty program so as to boost Nigeria's foreign and gas reserve-which is needed to power the turbines.
Re: Day 2: Nigeria's Acting Leader Woos Oil Companies by mamagee3(f): 12:56am On Feb 12, 2010
I heard Goodluck Jonathan is a lazy man but I hope he gets off his lazy butt and actually work now
that he's been sworn in as president.
Re: Day 2: Nigeria's Acting Leader Woos Oil Companies by Abagworo(m): 12:57am On Feb 12, 2010
let us watch naija regain its glory.this is the tip of the iceberg on what nigeria missed by denying the south-east and south-south the position of president.i believe so much that this man can perform miracles in one year.
Re: Day 2: Nigeria's Acting Leader Woos Oil Companies by oge4real(f): 12:57am On Feb 12, 2010
Let me quiet first. I can remember all the noise I made when Yaradua was appointed as president.I had so much faithh that he would do well cos of his educational background. So, make I just they watch and pray for Goodluck until his 100days in office after which the direction of his boat will get clearer.
Re: Day 2: Nigeria's Acting Leader Woos Oil Companies by rebranded(m): 12:58am On Feb 12, 2010
mama-gee:

I heard Goodluck Jonathan is a lazy man but I hope he gets off his lazy butt and actually work now

how can u say such! what will you say about Yar'adua if you call Goodluck lazy angry
Re: Day 2: Nigeria's Acting Leader Woos Oil Companies by Abagworo(m): 1:02am On Feb 12, 2010
mama-gee:

tell me how he could cope with baba go-slow without slowing himself.naija has been stagnant for three years.
Re: Day 2: Nigeria's Acting Leader Woos Oil Companies by rebranded(m): 1:07am On Feb 12, 2010
oge4real:

Let me quiet first. I can remember all the noise I made when Yaradua was appointed as president.I had so much faithh that he would do well cos of his educational background. So, make I just they watch and pray for Goodluck until his 100days in office after which the direction of his boat will get clearer.

The next day Yar'adua was sworn in, we didnt hear of any activities i said then we don make mistake

@oge4real i'm sure Goodluck will move Nigeria forward i'm positive
Re: Day 2: Nigeria's Acting Leader Woos Oil Companies by Abagworo(m): 1:18am On Feb 12, 2010
i so much believed in obj that i almost had a street mass beating.he ended up under-performing.
Re: Day 2: Nigeria's Acting Leader Woos Oil Companies by sulad82i(m): 1:34am On Feb 12, 2010
Abagworo:

i so much believed in obj that i almost had a street mass beating.he ended up under-performing.

I dont think OBJ under-perform, he can only do so much. He did his best and laid the ground for the present democracy even though its wack but na something
Re: Day 2: Nigeria's Acting Leader Woos Oil Companies by deluxecad(m): 2:53am On Feb 12, 2010
He should settle the militancy issue first. Of what use is it to meet with the executives of those multinationals when they don't have a safe and secure environment to operate. First things first!
Re: Day 2: Nigeria's Acting Leader Woos Oil Companies by paddylo1(m): 3:03am On Feb 12, 2010
tell me how he could cope with baba go-slow without slowing himself

good point there. . . .a vice is supposed to be unassuming

try being unassuming to someone as slow as yar adua
Re: Day 2: Nigeria's Acting Leader Woos Oil Companies by loma(m): 5:23am On Feb 12, 2010
The Goodluck Prayer

Our President, who art in Aso Rock

Goodluck be thy Name,

thy promotion come,

thine will be done,

in Lagos as it is in the Niger Delta.

Give us this day 24 hours power supply

And forgive us our expectations,

as we forgive you for your double promotion

Lead us not into Visionless 2020, but deliver us from PDP.

For thine is the Presidency,

the convoy, and the glory,

for now until Umoru returns (if ever). Amen.

http://idrisayobello..com/2010/02/nigerians-prayer.html
Re: Day 2: Nigeria's Acting Leader Woos Oil Companies by egift(m): 5:56am On Feb 12, 2010
At last a breath of fresh air
Re: Day 2: Nigeria's Acting Leader Woos Oil Companies by Nobody: 11:45am On Feb 12, 2010
A step in the right direction.
Re: Day 2: Nigeria's Acting Leader Woos Oil Companies by DrKnow1(m): 12:07pm On Feb 12, 2010
I hope the focus would be on oil refineries

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan Plots To Run For Presidency In 2011 / I Will Contest 2011 Election-babangida / Senators, Reps Plot Yar’adua’s Impeachment • Shortlist David Mark, 3 Other Senat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.