Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,226 members, 7,829,381 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:48 AM

What Becomes Of Ss Genotype? - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What Becomes Of Ss Genotype? (15852 Views)

'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' / Sickle Cell Supplement, "I Almost Called It A Miracle"-- Mother Of Ss Baby / Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Becomes Of Ss Genotype? by MCLOVIN: 2:46pm On Mar 02, 2010
@czario
Im nt a Uk freak, like others are. Theres no big deal abt the place or their ppl or their healthcare for that matter. Still, the care far exceeds that of what obtains here at home.
From my own observation while in the UK you are correct abt the long waits of those in painful crises before pain relief (usually morphine) is administered.
The reason for this is because NIGERIANS ABUSE THE SYSTEM. On very busy nights, especially in some borroughs, hospital A andE
Can get flooded with lots of 'blacks' claiming to be in painful crises. Once these supposed SS patients get a morphine jab they immediately resist admission then abscond.
It turned out that most of these were NIGERIAN HEROINE ADDICTS looking for a free 'hit'. This is wat used to happen previously in some areas around centres like the royal london in east london where you can have a high density of nigerians.
After this a&e policy changed. So new patients were made to wait until some one could take a comprehensive history. If the place is very busy it could take more than a half hour waiting but not quite an hour.

1 Like

Re: What Becomes Of Ss Genotype? by bintab(f): 10:16am On Mar 07, 2010
MCLOVIN:

Managing Sickle cell disorder can be a nightmare for both patient and care providers. Theres no textbook protocol for keeping a sickler healthy. What works for one may not necessarily work another.
The basics are keep warm, stay well hydrated, avoid physically strenous activity but take enough exercise.
Fatty foods do not seem to help so avoid. Supplements like folic acid and B complex and zinc are helpful. Make sure he/she gets vaccinated against pneumococcus and other possible infections.
Theres also NICOSAN a new drug that is supposed to prevent or decrease incidence of painful episodes, you might want to try that as well.
Some sicklers can live long as anyone else, i met a 73 yr old woman who is also SS recently. So it is possible. there are many who are already in their 50s married with kids so have a positive outlook.

I concur your view on this one,in the states the med of choice for scd pt is HYDREA it is grouped under chemo and most be taken daily with every 3 monthly blood work.
Re: What Becomes Of Ss Genotype? by bintab(f): 10:48am On Mar 07, 2010
gee.:

Hello Docs.
I just want to know what becomes of someone who has SS genotype in all aspects of life especially work, recreation, relationship and all that makes people happy. I have seen them go through pain that one won't believe they can get up and move around. What special thing can be done for them or what drugs can help them.
Docs in the house can pls post replies.
Thanks
People with sickle cell disese can have an excelent social life,keep mst good jobs,maintain a healthy relationship and enjoy optimal health like most people depending on the categories the individual fall,SS,SC OR BETA-THALASEMIA, Support group including family,enviroment,health facility and acess. Taking the prescribed medication and follow up with physician forĀ  assessment and lab works goes a long way, some non stranoius exercises are great benefits,joining a supportive group promotes healthy relationships.Above all ,leannig on God's understan help pull tru life.I wish u all the best.
Re: What Becomes Of Ss Genotype? by MCLOVIN: 11:32am On Mar 07, 2010
Binta,
Yes I agree HYDROXYUREA is one of those drugs you could use, its just that we've noticed some patients experiencing an increased frequency in painful episodes while on the drug. This is common with mostly SC genotype.
It works for some but others tend to exhibit a refractory response to it, as most hematologists here have found.
Re: What Becomes Of Ss Genotype? by PMIcon(m): 2:27pm On Feb 05, 2016
Dioscovite STOPS crises in sickle cell patients and PREVENTS further complications when used properly. It is a NATURAL liquid food supplement made in the US but available in Nigeria with NAFDAC registration.

It's a once daily supplement. Can be used from 6months and above. Every information you need on how to use it is available in the leaflet in the pack.

The transformation it brings to the life of Sickle cell patient is tremendous because it prevents the main reason for all the suffering of SS patients i.e. red blood cells becoming sickle, rigid and sticky.

All the people I have introduced it to are completely satisfied with the result. I believe your case won't be different by God's grace.

My contact:mailboominn@gmail.com

I respond quickly to emails.
Re: What Becomes Of Ss Genotype? by med123(m): 10:26pm On Jan 18, 2019
Run your CVS / FETAL GENOTYPE @ Greene Diagnostics, Benin City. Call any of our Consultants for help; 08025200314.

(1) (2) (Reply)

COVID-19: Lagos Battles Shortage Of Reagents, FCT Running Out Of Test Kits / WHO Names New COVID Variant Omicron, Designates It A Variant Of Concern / Lagos Discharges One More Coronavirus Patient

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.