Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,407 members, 7,853,804 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 02:19 AM

"There Shouldn't Be Age Limit For Presidential Candidates" Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "There Shouldn't Be Age Limit For Presidential Candidates" Obasanjo (352 Views)

INEC Owns Data Centers, There Shouldn't Be Arguments About Servers - Photo / 2019: Ayodele Fayose Reaches Out To Labour Party For Presidential Ticket / PDP Presidential Candidates Unite Ahead Of Convention; Atiku Absent; See Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"There Shouldn't Be Age Limit For Presidential Candidates" Obasanjo by Apostlenathan1(m): 9:33am On Aug 07, 2017
‘There Shouldn’t Be Age Limit For Presidential Candidates’ – Obasanjo

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has diagreed with the stipulation on the minimum age for a presidential candidate as he said that age should not be a barrier for anyone to lead the country.

He argued that it was not right to stipulate minimum age for a presidential candidate without also specifying the maximum age beyond which one would no longer be able to contest.

According to him, capability and competence rather than age should be qualifications for leadership, recalling that Gen. Yakubu Gowon became military Head of State at the age of 33.

Obasanjo said this while commenting on the proposition by the Senate to reduce the age of presidential candidates from 40 to 35.

The former President featured on Sunday as the guest speaker at an exposition series tagged, “God in my life,” organised by the Touchbearer Society of the Archbishop Vining Memorial Church Cathedral, Ikeja, Lagos.

Senate Agrees To 35-Years As Minimum Age For President

“Quite frankly, if we put minimum age, why are we not putting maximum age? If they put minimum age and then say that even if you are 90, you can be President, because there is no maximum age limit to being President. To me, there should be no age limit. Gen. Gowon became the Head of State at the age of 33, I became the Head of State at 39…I believe there should be no age limit; let the people decide,” Obasanjo said.
Re: "There Shouldn't Be Age Limit For Presidential Candidates" Obasanjo by eshietIntrepid(m): 9:37am On Aug 07, 2017
This man is directly against the youths
Re: "There Shouldn't Be Age Limit For Presidential Candidates" Obasanjo by tchimatic(m): 9:53am On Aug 07, 2017
I don taya for dis naija!!
Re: "There Shouldn't Be Age Limit For Presidential Candidates" Obasanjo by dlondonbadboy: 9:56am On Aug 07, 2017
What a shame..
Re: "There Shouldn't Be Age Limit For Presidential Candidates" Obasanjo by Nobody: 10:06am On Aug 07, 2017
This man ehn. I hate it when he talks. Why couldnt he advice himself with these unsolicited advise he now gives when he was president. No he was busy scrambling for a third term. Now he wants to be forming activist radarada.

(1) (Reply)

CHURCH SHOOTING: Nzechi Condemns Attack, Condoles With The Deceased / Justice Is About Administering Rule Of Law, Says Saraki / Park And Go: Northerners, Yoruba Asked To Leave Niger Delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.