Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,060 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:34 AM

A Critical Look At Nairaland's Anti-spam Bot Or Whatever... - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / A Critical Look At Nairaland's Anti-spam Bot Or Whatever... (2156 Views)

Monetize Your Trading BOT Or Create Your Own Trading Application Using Our Api's / Please Help Look At My Code (what is wrong with my code ) / Semalt Shares A Guide To Blocking And Removing Google Analytics Spam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Critical Look At Nairaland's Anti-spam Bot Or Whatever... by badthinds: 11:11am On Aug 08, 2017
Forgive me if there are any typos...I typed in a hurry, and my autocorrect want to kill me. It can't sha

Well, what is an anti-spam bot?

An anti-spam bot may be defined in many ways, but basically, it is a program file that automatically detects spammy contents and removes it from public view / just report.

An antispam system may have other features eg banning people. grin

Case Study
Nairaland

Experience
There was once a time a guy on nairaland introduced his website, it was a site that offered similar services to twitter.

In my critical reply, I was comparing and contrasting, also stating some facts. I typed urls of twitter and facebook multiple places in the text. After sighing and happily posting the patiently typed writeup, it was removed...and guess what? Pepper was added to my wound, ...I was banned from posting! grin

Well, I noticed I could mail the super mods the next day, so I did.
I commend the quick action of the mode that received the hearty complaint. My ban was resolved. (Oh! How I felt good to be able to post once more...hehehehe grin)

Serious...now

I studied the post I made, I knew posting twitter and facebook urls ...better still - without forward slashes shudun be kwansidared spam...
Then I deduced the antispam system wasn't manned by the intelligent nairaland mods...
I also deduced the bot lacked AI and subsequent bans I received made me conclude the bot couldn't learn! (at this point, I say to myself, "easy, badthinds".) grin

Why the critical review?

This is a banning era on Nairaland...like the gods are gone and we are left to go OYO. Complaints everywhere...many have suffered eg, one of my new friends on nairaland Muhammedbashir, how far guy? grin.

Now,

An intelligent antispam bot should be able to (if related to links)
- Evaluate the link
- Check a whitelist of websites
- scan the content of where it lands and make sure it wasn't redirected or something
- conclude if its a spam or not
- finally, learns something, if necessary.

I would have continued but I can save myself more typing by just stating the conclusion.

The antispam system on nairaland is like a not-so-brilliant robot taking over humankind. Sadly enough, we the intelligent humans cant do anything about it.

Over to my Honorable ogas.

Seun, move this to fp...ummm...I mean...programming fp ( grin ). So dat my guys on nairaland can come and shuk mouth for de mata.

Phew!
Re: A Critical Look At Nairaland's Anti-spam Bot Or Whatever... by adenuga558(m): 12:26pm On Aug 08, 2017
true talk
Re: A Critical Look At Nairaland's Anti-spam Bot Or Whatever... by CryptoCoinr(f): 7:25pm On Aug 08, 2017
Like I've said before, it bans people with no rhyme or reason and lets legitimate and continuous spam flourish across multiple threads. Simply put: NL's "anti-spambot" (the "buggybot" as I so lovingly call it) is a useless piece of crap that is way past its expiration date.

Also, the fact that the mods are completely unhelpful and pretty much worthless should you get illegitimately banned subsequently makes it all the more infuriating.
Re: A Critical Look At Nairaland's Anti-spam Bot Or Whatever... by Muhammedbashir(m): 11:33pm On Aug 08, 2017
badthinds:
Forgive me if there are any typos...I typed in a hurry, and my autocorrect want to kill me. It can't sha

Well, what is an anti-spam bot?

An anti-spam bot may be defined in many ways, but basically, it is a program file that automatically detects spammy contents and removes it from public view / just report.

An antispam system may have other features eg banning people. grin

Case Study
Nairaland

Experience
There was once a time a guy on nairaland introduced his website, it was a site that offered similar services to twitter.

In my critical reply, I was comparing and contrasting, also stating some facts. I typed urls of twitter and facebook multiple places in the text. After sighing and happily posting the patiently typed writeup, it was removed...and guess what? Pepper was added to my wound, ...I was banned from posting! grin

Well, I noticed I could mail the super mods the next day, so I did.
I commend the quick action of the mode that received the hearty complaint. My ban was resolved. (Oh! How I felt good to be able to post once more...hehehehe grin)

Serious...now

I studied the post I made, I knew posting twitter and facebook urls ...better still - without forward slashes shudun be kwansidared spam...
Then I deduced the antispam system wasn't manned by the intelligent nairaland mods...
I also deduced the bot lacked AI and subsequent bans I received made me conclude the bot couldn't learn! (at this point, I say to myself, "easy, badthinds".) grin

Why the critical review?

This is a banning era on Nairaland...like the gods are gone and we are left to go OYO. Complaints everywhere...many have suffered eg, one of my new friends on nairaland Muhammedbashir, how far guy? grin.

Now,

An intelligent antispam bot should be able to (if related to links)
- Evaluate the link
- Check a whitelist of websites
- scan the content of where it lands and make sure it wasn't redirected or something
- conclude if its a spam or not
- finally, learns something, if necessary.

I would have continued but I can save myself more typing by just stating the conclusion.

The antispam system on nairaland is like a not-so-brilliant robot taking over humankind. Sadly enough, we the intelligent humans cant do anything about it.

Over to my Honorable ogas.

Seun, move this to fp...ummm...I mean...programming fp ( grin ). So dat my guys on nairaland can come and shuk mouth for de mata.

Phew!
Be banned four times consecutively no be small thing ooo grin

1 Like

Re: A Critical Look At Nairaland's Anti-spam Bot Or Whatever... by badthinds: 8:20am On Aug 09, 2017
adenuga558:
true talk
I hope the mods see it so
Re: A Critical Look At Nairaland's Anti-spam Bot Or Whatever... by badthinds: 8:23am On Aug 09, 2017
CryptoCoinr:
Like I've said before, it bans people with no rhyme or reason and lets legitimate and continuous spam flourish across multiple threads. Simply put: NL's "anti-spambot" (the "buggybot" as I so lovingly call it) is a useless piece of crap that is way past its expiration date.

Also, the fact that the mods are completely unhelpful and pretty much worthless should you get illegitimately banned subsequently makes it all the more infuriating.

Lol. I just hope they write a better one or aleast, make it manned
Re: A Critical Look At Nairaland's Anti-spam Bot Or Whatever... by H8ta(m): 1:03am On Aug 10, 2017
My account/domain banned for posting a report

It's really annoying, I mailed the mods and it fell on deaf ears
Re: A Critical Look At Nairaland's Anti-spam Bot Or Whatever... by nijabazaar: 9:09am On Aug 10, 2017
Mr seun need to employ serious coders not backyard wannabes...

something tells me that the entire script for Nl was purchased rather than built specifically by Seun. If not, why has it not changed for almost 8 yrs ? Twitter and Facebook constantly add new features but NL remains stuck in molasses.

I think, and I might suffer a ban, who cares, that NL was purchased off hotScript back in d day...

(1) (Reply)

Computer Based Test (cbtest) In Django (opensource) / Kenyan Launches World’s First GUI Based Software Development Kit / I Need A Forum Blog - Who Can Help Me?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.