Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,824 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:38 PM

The Call Is Getting Louder . Hope Jonathan Is Listening. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Call Is Getting Louder . Hope Jonathan Is Listening. (582 Views)

The World Is Listening To Nnamdi Kanu ,/terry Paulson / Who Else Is Listening To Radio Biafra? / President Buhari Listening To A Translator And Laughing Out Loud[pic] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Call Is Getting Louder . Hope Jonathan Is Listening. by Gbawe: 8:10pm On Feb 12, 2010
How long will our wicked ruling class , typified by the comatose Yar Adua , continue to frustrate one of the most Important consideration for our future? Fashola has aked for it . Many progressive Nigerians have demanded it and now our Central bank Governor has backed the deregulation of the power sector . I hope that Jonathan will be the President to oblige Nigerians considering that we have lost way too much groung already. On a side note, if power must return to the North next year, Nigerians must look at Northerners like Sanusi for our top job.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Money/Business/5525509-146/story.csp

Sanusi advocates power sector deregulation
By Bassey Udo

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) governor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, on Wednesday stressed the need for operations in the power sector to be fully deregulated and concessioned, pointing out that with the ongoing reform of the nation's financial services sector, the capacity of banks to provide loan facilities is enhanced. Furthermore, banks would be encouraged to lend to interested investors in the power sector.

He said this when Christopher Anyanwu, the Director-General, Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE), visited him in Abuja.

Urging closer collaboration between the apex bank and the BPE in the implementation of reforms in the various sectors of the economy, Mr. Sanusi observed that not much has been achieved in terms of improved generation, distribution and supply of electricity in the country, in spite of the huge funds invested in the sector by the government over the years.

He underscored the strategic importance of a stable power sector and the role of the Bureau, saying, "If you (BPE) are able to fix the problem of power supply in the country, you would have endeared yourself to Nigerians, because power drives the economy. And one cannot have economic growth in the country when investments in the sector are in the hands of government or an opportunistic few." He gave the assurance that the CBN is not only willing to offer whatever assistance required to see to the achievement of this national objective, it will also support financial institutions that are willing to finance the power sector, adding that banks are not encouraged to grant loans to investors in the sector in the past as a result of the non-involvement of players from the private investment.

He charged the Bureau to take full responsibility for its actions, pointing out that its failure to fix power in the country is impacting negatively on the organisation and indeed, the nation's economy.

Confidence in privatisation programme

Earlier, Mr. Anyanwu told the CBN governor that the Bureau shares the vision of his reforms, saying that the achievements in the banking sector have inspired confidence in the privatisation programme among both depositors and operators in the financial sector.

He solicited the co-operation of the CBN in the privatisation exercise, particularly the Nigeria Security Minting and Printing Company (NSPMC) and Nigeria Postal Services (NIPOST), adding that the Bureau will hold strategic consultations with the apex bank on the reform programme on a regular basis, to ensure that the best value is derived from the various privatisation services in the sector.
Re: The Call Is Getting Louder . Hope Jonathan Is Listening. by trueword: 1:25am On Feb 13, 2010
Jonathan is supposed to meet with economic team on monday and I believe Sanusi will be in attendance, so I hope he brings up the topic.
Re: The Call Is Getting Louder . Hope Jonathan Is Listening. by MrCrackles(m): 1:29am On Feb 13, 2010
trueword:

Jonathan is supposed to meet with economic team on monday and I believe Sanusi will be in attendance, so I hope he brings up the topic.
I expect Jonathan to know how imperative power sector deregulation is. . . .
But then i am not too sure, since he appears to be a bit of a dunce. . .
Re: The Call Is Getting Louder . Hope Jonathan Is Listening. by biina: 1:37am On Feb 13, 2010
What is needed is splitting NEPA and making the various units autonomous. Controlled private investment can be utilized. A level of deregulation would allow private entities to participate on the generation side, but as competition is absent, same cannot be done at the transmission and distribution end.
Re: The Call Is Getting Louder . Hope Jonathan Is Listening. by trueword: 1:50am On Feb 13, 2010
MrCrackles:

I expect Jonathan to know how imperative power sector deregulation is. . . .
But then i am not too sure, since he appears to be a bit of a dunce. . .

Well I have some kind of hope that he may try this new approach. I mean he was like the only govt. official to ever apologize for not delivering on promise of increased electricity. Hopefully he can get govt. hands off of the vital parts of economy which irresponsible politicians have been mismanaging. Nigeria, if left for private investors can become fastet growing country in world. Right now there is too much govt.

(1) (Reply)

The Power Behind The Throne / Yar’adua Lives In An Ambulance / Dredging On River Niger On Course

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.