Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,974 members, 7,952,912 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:17 AM

Reasons Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria - Ex President, Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reasons Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria - Ex President, Obasanjo (516 Views)

John Bolton: Trump Planned Stopping $1.5 Billion Aid To Nigeria – Ex-NSA / Buratai Explains Why Army Created Female Corps / Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria - Ex President, Obasanjo by exlinkleads(f): 10:35am On Aug 12, 2017
Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria Because I Retired 93 Offers In A Day - Ex President, Obasanjo

Former President of Nigeria, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo has claimed that his decision to suddenly retire 93 officers in a day ensured that the Nigeria Army was rid of officers capable of staging coup d’état, saying the action is responsible for the survival of the Fourth Republic.

He also said that even though the measure was not ideal, it was the only option at that time that was capable of making the military a truly professional institution. Obasanjo, who said this in a book he co-authored with three other people entitled: "Making Africa Work", explained that he specifically retired officers, who had either participated in coups or enjoyed the benefits of coups.

In his words:

“A coup is a treason punishable by death only if it fails, and yet it puts the plotter in the State House if it succeeds. It was a destructive and destabilising practice, wasteful for the military itself, and undermining in terms of discipline, good order, and military conduct.

“A junior officer takes a gun and looks at his political boss and senior officers through its sights, bumps them off and puts himself in the State House. “He instantly becomes superior and senior to all political and military officers. Such was the situation existing in Nigeria between 1966 and 1999.

“On assuming office as President, I decided to put an end to these incessant coups. I asked the military to submit the list of all officers who had either participated in coups in the past or benefited in the dividends of coups by being appointed to political office as governors or ministers. “Not knowing what the list was meant for, the military faithfully compiled it and submitted to me as the Commander-in-Chief and chairman of the council of each of the arms of service.

Ninety-three officers in all were given six hours notice of retirement on a Friday and ordered not to spend the Friday night in uniform or in barracks to prevent an adverse reaction.

“The following Monday, the service council met to ratify the retirement of all the officers. From my vantage position and background as a battle-tested and war-victorious general, I knew that an officer out of uniform and barracks is like a fish out of water, and their power and influence would be greatly diminished. “The retirement of these 93 officers all in one day was salutary. It meant that taking part in a coup and benefitting from one could catch up with you, no matter how long it would take, and for as long as you are alive.

“Some of them later entered politics and became elected governors; some went into parliament; others got appointed as ministers and ambassadors. “The idea was not to punish them for life but to exclude them from positions in the military where they could be coup planners, coup plotters, coup executors or coup beneficiaries. “And once an officer has tasted the trappings of a political life, of living in a government house, with free food and so on, he would easily look for excuses to want more if he is in a position to make it happen.

“The fact that since 1999, there has not been a coup or an attempted coup in Nigeria speaks to the effectiveness of the measures taken to put an end to the destabilizing influence of coups on the political life and dispensation of Nigeria. “Before 1999, and since independence, the longest that a democratic dispensation had lasted was six years - from 1960 to 1966.

“It has neither been easy nor perfect, but there are improvements and evidence of learning among the political class. Any bad signs and misconduct would have to be carefully monitored.”

more @ http://www.exlinklodge.com/2017/08/army-has-not-staged-coup-again-in.html

cc mynd44 lalasticlala

Re: Reasons Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria - Ex President, Obasanjo by exlinkleads(f): 10:36am On Aug 12, 2017
i love this man
Re: Reasons Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria - Ex President, Obasanjo by chris4gold(m): 10:37am On Aug 12, 2017
Issokay
Re: Reasons Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria - Ex President, Obasanjo by thesicilian: 10:41am On Aug 12, 2017
Master criminal and liar. There was an attempted coup on Jonathan administration in 2015 but everyone covered it up because it failed.
Re: Reasons Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria - Ex President, Obasanjo by PASCALSILVA(m): 10:51am On Aug 12, 2017
ABEG MAKE THEM STAGE AM JOOR
Re: Reasons Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria - Ex President, Obasanjo by colossus91(m): 10:58am On Aug 12, 2017
mugabe's younger blooder!!
Re: Reasons Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria - Ex President, Obasanjo by Ratello: 11:13am On Aug 12, 2017
That was a masterstroke from Obasanjo but even at that I still don't see the effect of it on our democracy at least judging from the misbehaviours of these useless polithiefcians since 1999 undecided I really wished a coup can be staged right now.
Re: Reasons Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria - Ex President, Obasanjo by Penalty82(m): 11:15am On Aug 12, 2017
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived:neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

(1) (Reply)

Epic Response To Gov Rauf / 2019 : Assure Me Before I Leave Apc, I No Want Bleep Up 3 Times – Atiku / When Nigeria Shall Be No More: Painting Scenarios By Leonard Karshima Shilgba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.