Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,583 members, 7,812,903 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:51 PM

House Of Reps Proposes ‘Armed Forces Reserve Corps’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / House Of Reps Proposes ‘Armed Forces Reserve Corps’ (1203 Views)

Buhari Sends 2020-2022 Expenditure To Reps, Proposes N9.79 Trillion For 2020 / Herdsmen Convert Ondo Forest Reserve Into Militia Camp - Punch / Alani Akinri: 'Buhari’s Certificate Saga, An Insult To The Armed Forces' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

House Of Reps Proposes ‘Armed Forces Reserve Corps’ by PDPGuy: 1:16am On Aug 13, 2017
A bill, sponsored by Rep Muhammad Sani Abdu (APC, Bauchi), was first introduced on the floor of the House late last year and subsequently passed the second reading, titled: ‘A Bill for an Act to amend the Armed Forces Act, to among other things, provide for specific duties for the Armed Forces Reserve in order to serve as a Rapid Response Mechanism with capacity to intervene in Emergency and Internal Security where the Nigerian Police is overwhelmed’.

A copy of the bill, obtained by Daily Trust, says the principal Act should be amended by substituting for the existing Section ‘3’ a new Section ‘3.’ The proposal says in the new Section 3 (1) that the Armed Forces Reserve Shall: (a) on the order of the President step in to maintain peace and order where on the joint resolution of the National Assembly or on the advice of the Service Chiefs that the Police were overwhelmed; (b) in collaboration with relevant security agencies protect and assist in rescuing of the civil population during the period of emergency;

It states in subsection (c) that the reserve will recruit and train able persons in counter terrorism, rioting, climate and other natural disasters; (d) on the president directives utilized to serve as a rapid response unit for counter terrorism, rescue mission on climate and natural disaster and (e) undertake such national and international assignment in furtherance of national security as the president may direct from time to time.

It proposes a new Section 3 (a), which says “The Chief of Defence Staff in consultation with other service chiefs may make regulations governing methods of recall of members of the Reserve, their payment and any other matters pertaining to the Reserve as may be deemed fit in the circumstance.”

The Reserve Force will have a full central command and control system with an experienced retired military officer heading it, and is for both retired officers and rank and file.

During the debate on the bill, Rep Abdu said the establishment of the Armed Forces Reserve in a country is usually aimed at providing alternative force to salvage civil population in periods of eventualities in which conventional security services offered by the police will not suffice to overcome devastating challenges that threaten human existence, or corporate survival of a nation. He said most countries of the world, especially the developed ones, have military reserves.

The bill was proposed to fill the gap in the Armed Forces Act and make provisions through amendment for the establishment of the army reserves in response to emerging security challenges in the country which requires more sophisticated security intervention beyond the conventional services provided by the police force.

The specific objectives of the bill are to utilize the military reserves to provide rapid response mechanism to address emerging national security challenges such as kidnapping, insurgency, militancy; provide security support to the Nigerian Police in times of emergency and bearing security challenges beyond capacity of the Police Force.

It is also to provide trained and ever-ready qualified personnel for active duty in the armed forces during periods of eventuality; create opportunity to the National Assembly to exercise its powers of making laws for the peace order and good governance of the federation; create further opportunities for realizing the provision of security and welfare of the people.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/inside-lawmakers-push-for-armed-forces-reserve-corps/208629.html
Re: House Of Reps Proposes ‘Armed Forces Reserve Corps’ by acenazt: 1:22am On Aug 13, 2017
What is wrong with this people. How about just recruiting more police officers instead of a copy? SECTION 214 OF THE NIGERIAN CONSTITUTION SAYS "THERE SHALL BE A POLICE FORCE FOR THE NATION, AND NO OTHER OF ITS KIND SHOULD BE CREATED IN ANY PART OF THE NATION" this is becoming foolish
Re: House Of Reps Proposes ‘Armed Forces Reserve Corps’ by AsiwajuNdigbo: 1:29am On Aug 13, 2017
Tell them to recruit Arewa Youths into it. Biafrans are not interested.
Re: House Of Reps Proposes ‘Armed Forces Reserve Corps’ by Obudupikin: 1:56am On Aug 13, 2017
I sometimes wonder what they are smoking in the National Assembly. undecided
Re: House Of Reps Proposes ‘Armed Forces Reserve Corps’ by AsiwajuNdigbo: 2:33am On Aug 13, 2017
Obudupikin:

They and that yeye senate. Thats the only place bokoharam will bomb and the whole of Nigeria will jubilate. They are the root of criminaThe national assembly is a clearing house for criminals. They transition from Governor to assembly, back to Governor, return to assembly and each stage doing more damage.
Re: House Of Reps Proposes ‘Armed Forces Reserve Corps’ by Guestlander: 3:04am On Aug 13, 2017
AsiwajuNdigbo:

They and that yeye senate. Thats the only place bokoharam will bomb and the whole of Nigeria will jubilate. They are the root of criminaThe national assembly is a clearing house for criminals. They transition from Governor to assembly, back to Governor, return to assembly and each stage doing more damage.

You too oscillate between being a Yoruba to Ibo on Nairaland. I bet you also sometimes imperonate Hausa-Fulani as well.
Your attention in needed on your Lagos thread.
Re: House Of Reps Proposes ‘Armed Forces Reserve Corps’ by arantess: 4:40am On Aug 13, 2017
acenazt:
What is wrong with this people. How about just recruiting more police officers instead of a copy? SECTION 214 OF THE NIGERIAN CONSTITUTION SAYS "THERE SHALL BE A POLICE FORCE FOR THE NATION, AND NO OTHER OF ITS KIND SHOULD BE CREATED IN ANY PART OF THE NATION" this is becoming foolish
He went ahead to say 'most countries of the world, especially the DEVELOPED ones have it' ..therein lies the issue....Nigeria wants to copy every kind of thing that dosnt suit her people because most 'developed' countries are doing so...and I wonder is Nigeria developed or developing??

1 Like

Re: House Of Reps Proposes ‘Armed Forces Reserve Corps’ by PDPGuy: 4:51am On Aug 13, 2017
Obudupikin:
Lol
I support the plan only if the proposed reserve corp will be a separate military command with commanders who are serving military personnel.
The reserve Corp will function like the National Guard in the US, who are called upon to supplement the efforts of local law enforcement in the event of a total breakdown of law and order.
We always have to assume that there would be situations where the police will be overwhelmed in the ordinary course of their duties because it happens everywhere else, including the United States.
Moreover, I hope the NASS makes provision for Senate confirmation of the commander of this proposed joint unit. It will deepen the doctrine of civilian control over the military, which is a key feature of democratic nations.
Re: House Of Reps Proposes ‘Armed Forces Reserve Corps’ by tit(f): 4:51am On Aug 13, 2017
Guestlander:

You too oscillate between being a Yoruba to Ibo on Nairaland. I bet you also sometimes imperonate Hausa-Fulani as well.

he is a detriba;ize nigeria
Re: House Of Reps Proposes ‘Armed Forces Reserve Corps’ by AsiwajuNdigbo: 5:29am On Aug 13, 2017
Guestlander:

Tueh, spits on this response.
A whole Nwafor be a Yoruba and Hausa. Say wetin happen? Just because I speak yoruba and hausa does not give me readon to forget my roots. More than half our population speak at leadt two major nigerian languages. Hausa cannot speak in my presence to practice treachery cause i will outsmart him. Same goes for you, anything you say i understand so how will two yoruba people speak to backstab Igbo person? E no possible now. But two Igbo guys can speak to do you ot hausa arm and you dont know. We will demolish you and your masters if Ndigbo is massacred on or beyond Oct1st.
Re: House Of Reps Proposes ‘Armed Forces Reserve Corps’ by PDPGuy: 2:15am On Aug 17, 2017
AsiwajuNdigbo:

Tueh, spits on this response.
A whole Nwafor be a Yoruba and Hausa. Say wetin happen? Just because I speak yoruba and hausa does not give me readon to forget my roots. More than half our population speak at leadt two major nigerian languages. Hausa cannot speak in my presence to practice treachery cause i will outsmart him. Same goes for you, anything you say i understand so how will two yoruba people speak to backstab Igbo person? E no possible now. But two Igbo guys can speak to do you ot hausa arm and you dont know. We will demolish you and your masters if Ndigbo is massacred on or beyond Oct1st.
cry embarassed

(1) (Reply)

#buhari444 Is Trending On Twitter. / Who Is Oladeebo / All Hands In Support Of Willie Obiano In Nnewi With Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.