Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,045 members, 7,821,592 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:26 PM

10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues (18748 Views)

Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? / 7 Reasons Why Every Believer Should Speak In Tongues - Kenneth E Hagin / Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by waldigit: 10:40pm On Aug 13, 2017
Investnow2017:

Its a pity you did not understand him because you closed up your mind. He made the irrefutable point.
Re:
The facts with many who profess christian faith today is that you want to put cart before the horse.
You want to understand the scripture by not following the process. The Lord himself got baptised with immersion when He was mature, but you want to yours at infant. Then He got baptised with Holy Ghost you want to skip the step. He went on to receive power by fasting and praying you again skipped the stage because we now have Google. The Lord identified his ministry and fulfilled it, you say your local assembly that you erroneously refer to as "the Church" has doctrine that you must follow.
The Lord Himself when reading the scripture in the public said the spirit of the Lord is upon me, but you say I got it from religious websites.
You want to understand the scriptures without evidence of baptism of Holy Spirit.
Cart before horse, it doesn't work that way.Shalom

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by otr1(m): 10:47pm On Aug 13, 2017
uvalued:

no need for confusion my friend...on the deutoronomy stuff.. what was the end result..was it for edification or what? but praying/speaking in tongues edifies and builds me up spiritually. furthermore how can merely speaking a language edify and build me up? It must be something beyond mere language.

infact check the greek word for "new tongues" which Christ said in mk 16.

marvellous, before vs 18, in v2 paul said that what he spoke more than them all cannot be understood by NO BODY but God because paul was speaking mysteries.

granted one can speak in tongues to preach the gospel but speaking in tongues one can edify and build one self spiritually.

now remember somethings of God are intelligently known but there things which are unintelligent to the human mind and speaking in tongues is one of such.
First, the greek word interpreted as "tongues" (glossa) means nothing else but languages. In fact, it should be translated as speaking in languages. Now that makes sense and coherent with what I've said so far. Tongues as used in the bible simply means languages. For whatever reason, you should not read Acts 2:7-11 and still argue that speaking in tongues is mumbling unintelligible words, even words the speaker can not understand.
And yes, the sudden ability of say, a Hausa man to speak all manners of new languages glorifies God. Who would unbelievers say of you if they hear you repeating same gibberish every time? There's nothing wonderful about that as anyone can just wake up one morning and start to utter rubbish and will convince you he's speaking in tongues.
May be if you read 1 Corinthians 12:10, you'll understand that "diverse kinds of tongues" means "different kinds of languages".
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by Nigeriadondie: 10:56pm On Aug 13, 2017
[quote author=oluphilip2008 post=59447235][/quote]
The pleasure is all mine. To Jehovah be the glory. There are many lies being fed out to many people in the name of religion. I am always delighted to expose those falsehood and when people see the truth as it is in the scriptures I am delighted and i pray the grace of God falls on as many as are humble to learn the truth.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by Nigeriadondie: 11:28pm On Aug 13, 2017
AwesomeDuru:
Fools. Religious retards. With your spineless, cowardly Non Mighty God.
Are you an atheist?
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by Nigeriadondie: 11:52pm On Aug 13, 2017
ehimeayeni:

When you speak in tongues it's not for anybody to understand because it's not man like yourself that will answer your prayers. It's God that understands that will answer your prayers. If you want to speak so that people will understand then pray to men
So whom do you speak tongues to? And why?
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by uvalued(m): 12:06am On Aug 14, 2017
otr1:

First, the greek word interpreted as "tongues" (glossa) means nothing else but languages. In fact, it should be translated as speaking in languages. Now that makes sense and coherent with what I've said so far. Tongues as used in the bible simply means languages. For whatever reason, you should not read Acts 2:7-11 and still argue that speaking in tongues is mumbling unintelligible words, even words the speaker can not understand.
And yes, the sudden ability of say, a Hausa man to speak all manners of new languages glorifies God. Who would unbelievers say of you if they hear you repeating same gibberish every time? There's nothing wonderful about that as anyone can just wake up one morning and start to utter rubbish and will convince you he's speaking in tongues.
May be if you read 1 Corinthians 12:10, you'll understand that "diverse kinds of tongues" means "different kinds of languages".

yes tongues means glossolia but "new" in " new tongues " in mark 16:17 means
"of a new kind; unprecedented, novel, uncommon, unheard of” (317).

And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

friend you are not the first to acknowledge that speaking in tongues is unintelligent to your mind, paul also acknowledge same in

1cor 14

14  For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

15  What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

so what gives? my spirit is praying/speaking in tongues but my understanding is unfruitful. however paul did not forbide speaking in tongues as you and others are trying so hard to reason ...pray tell me why would paul say "forbade not speaking in tongues" if its a mere language we are expected to speak

again i ask you how will my spirit speak in known language such as hausa and my mind cannot understand it?

1cor 12 is not contradicting speaking in tongues but emphasising it. but prejudice has blinded you to that fact that there is public and private speaking in tongues. in the public, when in church speaking in tongues should also have an interpretation but speaking/praying in tongues in private is used for edification and building up. but unfortunately the prejudice ones are condemning both. paul in 1 cor 14 was calling for orderliness in usage and he said forbade not speaking in tongues.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by uvalued(m): 12:09am On Aug 14, 2017
Nigeriadondie:

So whom do you speak tongues to? And why?

let the bible speak 1 cor 14

2  For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by Nigeriadondie: 12:11am On Aug 14, 2017
uvalued:

my question to you...do you have the same salvation and Holy Spirit as them that spoke in tongues in the past?
Ephesians 4:4-6. Also the Christ that died for me and u is not different from the one that died for those that spoke in tongues in the past.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by uvalued(m): 12:12am On Aug 14, 2017
Nigeriadondie:

The pleasure is all mine. To Jehovah be the glory. There are many lies being fed out to many people in the name of religion. I am always delighted to expose those falsehood and when people see the truth as it is in the scriptures I am delighted and i pray the grace of God falls on as many as are humble to learn the truth.

are you insinuating speaking/praying in tongues are lies that are created by religion?
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by uvalued(m): 12:16am On Aug 14, 2017
Nigeriadondie:

Ephesians 4:4-6. Also the Christ that died for me and u is not different from the one that died for those that spoke in tongues in the past.

then if what He promised them they used and when it comes to our time we think we are wiser than Him, we refuse and forbade sons of God from using same as they did in thier time.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by otr1(m): 11:53am On Aug 14, 2017
uvalued:

yes tongues means glossolia but "new" in " new tongues " in mark 16:17 means
"of a new kind; unprecedented, novel, uncommon, unheard of” (317).

friend you are not the first to acknowledge that speaking in tongues is unintelligent to your mind, paul also acknowledge same in

1cor 14

so what gives? my spirit is praying/speaking in tongues but my understanding is unfruitful. however paul did not forbide speaking in tongues as you and others are trying so hard to reason ...pray tell me why would paul say "forbade not speaking in tongues" if its a mere language we are expected to speak

again i ask you how will my spirit speak in known language such as hausa and my mind cannot understand it?

1cor 12 is not contradicting speaking in tongues but emphasising it. but prejudice has blinded you to that fact that there is public and private speaking in tongues. in the public, when in church speaking in tongues should also have an interpretation but speaking/praying in tongues in private is used for edification and building up. but unfortunately the prejudice ones are condemning both. paul in 1 cor 14 was calling for orderliness in usage and he said forbade not speaking in tongues.
You're not getting it and it's a pity.
It might interest you to know that pagan cults also "speak in tongues" so to say , the same way and manner you're trying hard to defend.
You asked me the meaning of the original greek word translated as tongues, I told you it means languages. Now you're telling me the definition of "new".
If I started speaking Russian, German, Chinese, French, Japanese e.t.c. Fluently suddenly without being trained, what do you call that?
New, wonderful work of God, uncommon gift, right? So how does that change the fact that the speaking in new languages as mentioned in the bible is has no other hidden interpretation that simply speaking new intelligible languages? Acts 2 adduces this fact, but you chose to ignore it.
And I never said Paul was against speaking in new tongues, but trust me, he will weep if he hears you mumbling and you call it speaking in tongues.
And besides, your version of speaking in tongues only came to be known after 1900.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by Investnow2017: 2:42pm On Aug 14, 2017
waldigit:

Re:
The facts with many who profess christian faith today is that you want to put cart before the horse.
You want to understand the scripture by not following the process. The Lord himself got baptised with immersion when He was mature, but you want to yours at infant. Then He got baptised with Holy Ghost you want to skip the step. He went on to receive power by fasting and praying you again skipped the stage because we now have Google. The Lord identified his ministry and fulfilled it, you say your local assembly that you erroneously refer to as "the Church" has doctrine that you must follow.
The Lord Himself when reading the scripture in the public said the spirit of the Lord is upon me, but you say I got it from religious websites.
You want to understand the scriptures without evidence of baptism of Holy Spirit.

You see the Jesus i know baptised with the Holy Spirit and not holy ghost. In fact what is holy in a ghost?
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by Investnow2017: 2:57pm On Aug 14, 2017
waldigit:

Re:

The problem with most of you is that you develop a mindset, then look for a church (and there are sadly enough variety) that fits with it and then join. You become so engrossed that even when they point out horrible errors to you, you cannot see beyond your nose and you see nothing wrong because the so-called miserable man of god tells you what you want to hear.

That you purportedly prayed in tongue and you claim yr prayer was answered does not amount to anything. Even pagans pray to their god and claim to get answers.

What is the principal theme of the Bible? What message does it contain and how do all the sayings of the Bible harmonize with the overall theme? To get answers to these questions, you must endeavour to understand the core of Jesus' message. When he began to preach, what did he say and why? When he taught his disciples to pray what were the points of prayer and why? What commission did he give his disciples before he departed for heaven and why?

Blabbing in tongues to create false impression that you have a particular spirit is at once deceptive and fraudulent. Why are most churches more interested in what can easily deceive and intimidate - its becauae their original intent is not the sanctification of God's name but the enrichment of their pockets with proceeds from the downthroden. And for this they are prepared to misquote the Bible which they often cite in isolation.

Sad
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 3:41pm On Aug 14, 2017
My issue is most of the people speaking in tongues are faking it, go to churches you even hear the pastor or whoever the leader is saying ''if you are not speaking in tongues'' you ain't praying. all of a sudden more than a 100 peoples start speaking in tongues. sometimes it so fake that some congregants or followers are almost laughing at each other or they give themselves this look of what the hell is this one saying....

it's really hard to see genuine people do it....just my opinion...

Skillz92:

And this Signs shall follow them that believe ….. They shall speak in Tongues.(mark 16:17).

The issue of speaking in tongues in Christendom has for some years now been an issue of debate. Some people believe that every believer must not speak in tongues backing their statement with the fact that speaking in tongues is the only evidence or proof of the Holygost. Some other group of believers on the other hand on the other hand maintained that speaking in tongue is the Evidence of the presence of the Holygost.

In this Article, I am not going to argue whether it is a must for every believer or not, I will be giving you ten reasons why every believer should speak in tongues.

1 Tongues is the initial sign.

“And they were all filled with the Holygost and began to speak with other Tongues as the spirit gave them utterance” Acts 2:4

The word of God clearly explained that the Disciples of Christ spoke in tongues immediately the holygost came on them while they were praying in Jerusalem.

2 Tongues for spiritual Edification

“He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifies himself” 1 cor 14:4

The term edification means building up, especially in a moral , emotional or spiritual sense. So when we speak in tongues we build up our selves spiritually. Paul explained that a man speaking in other tongues speaks not unto men but unto God.

“For one who speaks in an unknown tongue speaks not to men but to God, for no one understands because in the holygost he utters secret truths and hidden things not obvious to the understanding.” 1 cor 14:2

Anybody who speaks in tongues charges himself before God. ie he builds ups and strengthens himself.

3 Tongues remind us of the spirit’s indwelling presence

“And I will ask the father and he will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you. He is the holy spirit who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive him because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him, but you know him, because he lives with you now and later will be in you”. John 14:15-16

Notice that jesus said that he lives with you now and later will be in you and after the death of jesus the holygost. It means that the Holy Spirit then dwelled in them. We all know what happened when the holygost filled the disciples in Jerusalem. Speaking in tongues reminds us of the spirit’s indwelling presence.

4 praying in tongues is praying in line with God’s perfect Will.

“Likewise the spirit also helpeth our infirmities; for we know not what we should pray for as we ought, but the spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which words cannot be uttered.

And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.” Romans 8:26-27 kjv

The bible made it clear here that the holygost maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God. So praying in tongues helps us pray in line with the will of God.

5 praying in tongues stimulates faith.

“but you dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holyspirit” jude 20

If the holy spirit gives us the utterance when we speak in tongues, when we say a word, we don’t know what the next word will be, so we need to Trust God to bring it and that is faith. Praying in tongues helps us to strengthen our faith in God.

6 speaking in tongues is a means of keeping free from worldly contamination.

“If anyone speaks in a tongue , two or at most three should speak, one at a time, and someone should interpret. If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God.” I cor 14:27-28

Paul said when you speak in tongues in the church and there is no interpreter then you should speak to yourself. Therefore we can speak to ourselves in tongues and it won’t disturb anybody. This helps us to keep free from worldly contamination. For example, when you are in the midst of people who are discussing things which can contaminate our spirit and you don’t want to be part of it, speak to yourself in tongues by that it helps you to stay free from the conversation.

7 praying in tongues enable us to pray for the unknown

The Holy Spirit who knows everything can pray through for things which our natural mind knows nothing about. The spirit intercedes for us for we know not what to pray for as we ought. (Romans 8: 26).

Praying in the spirit provides a way for things to be prayed for that we wouldn’t know anything about in the natural.

8 praying in tongues gives spiritual refreshing.

“With foreign lips and strange tongues, God will speak to this people, to whom he said, this is the resting place, let the weary rest” Isaiah 28:11-12.

The scripture above speaks of rest and refreshing which is in the talking in other tongues. These things are vital for our spirits and we can take it every day.

9 Tongues for giving thanks.

Praying in tongues provides the most perfect way to pray way to pray and give thanks, for the bible said that when we pray in tongues that we give thanks very well. (1 cor 14:15-17)

10 speaking in tongues brings the tongue under subjection.

Yielding the tongue to the Holy Spirit to speak with other tongues is a giant step towards fully yielding all of our members to God. For if we can yield this most unruly member, we can yield any member.

SOURCE : http://praisebars.com/10-reasons-why-every-believer-must-speak-in-tongues/

Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by uvalued(m): 6:03pm On Aug 14, 2017
otr1:

You're not getting it and it's a pity.

Am getting your prejudice clearly! Should i pity you sure because you dont need to speak in tongues to get to heaven but surely you will get there quicker! Why because you dont know how to stir up power nor build up yourself to face the deception from our defeated foe wink

It might interest you to know that pagan cults also "speak in tongues" so to say , the same way and manner you're trying hard to defend.

please can you share which cult group precisely... interesting

You asked me the meaning of the original greek word translated as tongues, I told you it means languages. Now you're telling me the definition of "new".
hello re read that post i mentioned "new tongues" not just tongues... "new tongues " means "kainos glossolia" an unprecedented language which has never existed! Halleluyah

If I started speaking Russian, German, Chinese, French, Japanese e.t.c. Fluently suddenly without being trained, what do you call that? [quote]

Simples known language but that does not mean angelic (unknown) language does not exist! Can you speak angelic language?

[quote] New, wonderful work of God, uncommon gift, right? So how does that change the fact that the speaking in new languages as mentioned in the bible is has no other hidden interpretation that simply speaking new intelligible languages? Acts 2 adduces this fact, but you chose to ignore it.

I dont deny intelligent language God could use but God is not limited by known language... why are you dodging this verse please explain if paul was referring to your known language
1 Cor 14:2
For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
KJV

And I never said Paul was against speaking in new tongues, but trust me, he will weep if he hears you mumbling and you call it speaking in tongues.

No he would weep for you that have refused to tap into the foolishness, weakness of God to man's mind

1 Cor 1:27-29
ut God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;

28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:

29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.
KJV

And besides, your version of speaking in tongues only came to be known after 1900.

wow you soooo ignorant to say the least... if you are interested i will give you a link that shows that "unintelligent language" continued right after the last apostle left... do you want to have it?quote
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by uvalued(m): 6:12pm On Aug 14, 2017
Investnow2017:

You see the Jesus i know baptised with the Holy Spirit and not holy ghost. In fact what is holy in a ghost?

hehe playing with words... may this not be held against you amen
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by uvalued(m): 6:14pm On Aug 14, 2017
Investnow2017:

The problem with most of you is that you develop a mindset, then look for a church (and there are sadly enough variety) that fits with it and then join. You become so engrossed that even when they point out horrible errors to you, you cannot see beyond your nose and you see nothing wrong because the so-called miserable man of god tells you what you want to hear.

That you purportedly prayed in tongue and you claim yr prayer was answered does not amount to anything. Even pagans pray to their god and claim to get answers.

What is the principal theme of the Bible? What message does it contain and how do all the sayings of the Bible harmonize with the overall theme? To get answers to these questions, you must endeavour to understand the core of Jesus' message. When he began to preach, what did he say and why? When he taught his disciples to pray what were the points of prayer and why? What commission did he give his disciples before he departed for heaven and why?

Blabbing in tongues to create false impression that you have a particular spirit is at once deceptive and fraudulent. Why are most churches more interested in what can easily deceive and intimidate - its becauae their original intent is not the sanctification of God's name but the enrichment of their pockets with proceeds from the downthroden. And for this they are prepared to misquote the Bible which they often cite in isolation.

Sad

deceived by the defeated god of the world...
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by uvalued(m): 6:15pm On Aug 14, 2017
looney:
My issue is most of the people speaking in tongues are faking it, go to churches you even hear the pastor or whoever the leader is saying ''if you are not speaking in tongues'' you ain't praying. all of a sudden more than a 100 peoples start speaking in tongues. sometimes it so fake that some congregants or followers are almost laughing at each other or they give themselves this look of what the hell is this one saying....

it's really hard to see genuine people do it....just my opinion...

i condemn and rebuke your assumed opinion...which aint yours
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by waldigit: 10:02pm On Aug 14, 2017
Investnow2017:

Sad

Just like the Lord himself said, a disciple is not greater than his masters. If you want to know him take your cross and follow him, not like you do in tweeter, but by passing through the process he passed through. Make him your role model. He said it himself that you should learn of him. Proverb says lean not on your own understanding.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by otr1(m): 10:07pm On Aug 14, 2017
uvalued:

Am getting your prejudice clearly! Should i pity you sure because you dont need to speak in tongues to get to heaven but surely you will get there quicker! Why because you dont know how to stir up power nor build up yourself to face the deception from our defeated foe wink

hello re read that post i mentioned "new tongues" not just tongues... "new tongues " means "kainos glossolia" an unprecedented language which has never existed! Halleluyah

You'll do a lot of Scripture twisting to justify your "unknown tongues".
It might interest you to know that the erroneous term "unknown tongue" is used but six times in the King James (I Cor. 14:2, 4, 13, 14, 19, & 27,) and in every instance, the word unknown is in italics,signifying that the original Greek manuscripts did not contain this or any such word. It was erroneously added by the translators and should be taken out. It only adds more confusion to this little-understood subject.
Where glossa is not a supernatural gift, it is clearly used to represent a known language, as in Rev. 10:11, 13:7 & 17:15 where some combination of"...peoples, and multitudes, and nations and tongues[Greek:glossa-languages]..."is used.
All remaining references to languages (as a gift from God) are discussed by Paul in I Cor. 12, 13, and 14, and nowhere else.
It is also clear that the Apostles did NOT speak with"NEW tongues 50 days later on Pentecost, because we have this undeniable statement of Scripture stating that:"...we do hear them speak in OUR languages the wonderful words of God".
Now we know that the languages of the Medes, Cretes, Asians, Elamites, Parthians, Egyptians, Arabians, etc., spoken on Pentecost were anything but "new tongues" as these tongues/languages are old as mountains. And we know that the Scriptures do not contradict, so it is absurd for any tongue-talkers to use this very questionable verse as justification for babbling something they may contend is a "new" or different kind of language promised by Jesus.
In I Cor. 12:4 we read of "diversities of gifts. In verse 6 we read of "diversities of operations. Both times the word "diversities" is translated from the Greek word "diairesis", and it means "variety." And so the word "diversities" is a perfectly fine word to translate it.
But in I Cor. 12:10 we read of:"diverse kinds of languages. In verse 28 we read of "diversities of languages."And in I Cor. 14:10 we read of "many kinds of voices[sayings, languages.]"
Now, all three words "kinds, diversities, & kinds" in the above three verses are from the same one Greek word (genos).
Here is how Strong defines this word-#1085:
"genos: kin, born, country, diversity,generation, kind,nation,offspring,stock."
Here is how "context" translates the Greek word genos in other Scriptures:
Mark 7:26-"The woman was a Greek, a Syrophenician by nation[genos]..." In this verse it could have just correctly been translated "birth," but "diversity" or "kind" would never suit.
Acts 4:6-"And Annas the high priest, and Caiaphas, and John, and Alexander, and as many as were of the kindred[genos] of the high priest..." Again, "diversity" or "kind" would not suit in this verse.
Acts 4:36b-"...The son of consolation, a Levite, and of the country[genos] of Cyprus. "Diversity" or "kind" could never be used here.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by otr1(m): 10:45pm On Aug 14, 2017
uvalued:

Rev. 22:16b-"I am the root and the offspringgenos] of David..." Also "offspring" in Acts 17:28 & 29.
I Pet. 2:9-"But you are a chosen generation[genos], a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people..." Notice the company that geno skeeps in this verse "generation, priesthood, nation, people."
Phil. 3:5-"Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock[ genos] of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew..." Notice the company that genos keeps in this verse: the stock of the nation Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, of the much larger clan of Hebrews.
Surely a blind man can see that genos carries the primary connotation of that which deals with: "where we were born, our offspring, kindred, country, stock, countrymen, nation, and generation."
So just what "kinds," "diversities," and "kinds" (genos, genos, and genos) of languages is God telling us of in I Cor. 12:10b, 28b & 14:10? Is He speaking of gibberish in unknown tongues? OF COURSE NOT.
And surely a blind man can see that this spiritual gift was a gift of "GENOS LANGUAGES" -The real, working, every day languages dealing with genos which is translated throughout the New Testament as: "where one was born, offspring, kindred, country, stock, countrymen, nation, and generation."Which languages would also have to include different dialects and regional jargons. An impossible task for any human, but no problem for the Spirit of God.
This is why Paul boldly stated: "I thank my God, I speak with languages MORE than ye all" (I Cor. 14:18.) Paul traveled through dozens and dozens of villages, towns, cities and states, countries and kingdoms. He spoke with kings and peasants-among the very same "every nation under heaven" spoken of in Acts 2.

"Follow after LOVE, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that you may prophesy [speak under inspiration of God's Spirit.] For he that speaks in a tongue speaks not unto men, but unto God: for NO MAN UNDERSTANDS HIM; howbeit in the spirit he speaks mysteries"(I Cor. 14:1-2.)
Paul told the Corinthians that [1] they should desire spiritual gifts, [2] for the purpose of prophesying, because [3] no one understands what he is saying if he speaks in a language. So is it a good thing to speak in a language if no one understands you? NO, of course not. Next Paul says,"BUT..."But what? If speaking in a language is not a good thing to do if no man understands what you are saying, then WHAT IS GOOD? Well, Paul answers:
"BUT he that prophesies [is inspired of God to speak in the language of the congregation] speaks unto men to EDIFICATION, and EXHORTATION, and COMFORT[consolation]" (Ver. 3.)
"I would that you all spoke with tongues, BUT RATHER[here is Paul's instructions as to HOW this gift is to be properly used] that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesies than he that speaks with languages, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying"(Verse 5.)
Now Paul gives us the one "exception" clause which will put "speaking in a language" on equal footing with "prophesying"-that is inspired teaching in our own language. And what is that one thing that is absolutely necessary for speaking in a language to be acceptable in the congregation of God's Church? Someone must be able to INTERPRET what the person said in a foreign language. What if there is no interpreter present?
"But if there be no interpreter, LET HIM KEEP SILENCE IN THE CHURCH"(verse 28.)
There you have it. Speaking in tongues is fine, IF, and only if, "except he INTERPRET" so that the whole church receives" edification, exhortation, and consolation."This teaching is clear. This teaching is simple. There is no misunderstanding Paul's admonition. Yet how many will OBEY Paul's admonition?
Notice what Paul instructs us in verse 6:
"Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with languages, what shall it profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?"
If your teaching is not by revelation, knowledge, prophesying, or doctrine,"what shall it profit you,"Paul asks? Nothing else is acceptable. But is this what the tongue-speakers of the world are actually doing? Are they speaking to the entire congregation by "revelation, knowledge, prophesying, or doctrine," or are they babbling gibberish into the air, in which case NO ONE IS EDIFIED?
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by Investnow2017: 10:50pm On Aug 14, 2017
waldigit:

Just like the Lord himself said, a disciple is not greater than his masters. If you want to know him take your cross and follow him, not like you do in tweeter, but by passing through the process he passed through. Make him your role model. He said it himself that you should learn of him. Proverb says lean not on your own understanding.

You are right. But did Jesus speak in tongues? And did he ever say that every one must speak in tongue? Why make it sound as though without blabbing you will not be saved? That is the point dear.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by otr1(m): 11:08pm On Aug 14, 2017
uvalued:

Verse 13-14: "Wherefore let him that speaks in a language pray that he may interpret." For if[a supposition, not a fact, same as though] I pray in a language, my spirit prays, but my understanding[my mind] is UNFRUITFUL."
And Paul tells us to "have no fellowship with the UNFRUITFUL works of darkness" (Eph. 5:11.) So even if one had the gift of languages, he should NOT speak without an interpretation, because it is "unfruitful"(ver. 14,) it is just praying to "himself"(ver. 4,) it does not"edify, exhort or comfort"(ver. 3,) it is not "by revelation, knowledge, prophesying, or doctrine"(ver. 6,) it is not a"distinct sound,"(ver. 7,) for one merely "speaks into the air,"(ver. 9,) you are like a "barbarian" to whom you speak (verse 11,) therefore,"If there be no interpreter,let him keep SILENCE in the Church..."
And yes, we have a history of pagan cults and non-christians "speaking in tongues", so to say.
Go and read Richard Ganz's "20 Controversies that Almost Killed a Church" (p 212). It says that this kind of babbling is practiced by Mormons, Muslims and many others. Also Robert G. Gromacki's "The Modern Tongues Movement"(pp 5-10), documents the history of “speaking in tongues”.
Your type of speaking in tongues is new to the Church and it's not what unbelievers will hear and say "wonderful words of God.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by Investnow2017: 11:14pm On Aug 14, 2017
THE TRUTH - YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED

Tongues, Speaking in
Definition: A special ability given through the holy spirit to some disciples in the early Christian congregation that enabled them to preach or otherwise glorify God in a language other than their own.
Does the Bible say that all who would have God’s spirit would “speak in tongues”?

1 Cor. 12:13, 30: “Truly by one spirit we were all baptized into one body . . . Not all have gifts of healings, do they? Not all speak in tongues, do they?” (Also 1 Corinthians 14:26)

1 Cor. 14:5: “Now I would like for all of you to speak in tongues, but I prefer that you prophesy. Indeed, he that prophesies is greater than he that speaks in tongues, unless, in fact, he translates, that the congregation may receive upbuilding.”

Does ecstatic speech in a language that a person never learned prove that he has holy spirit?

Can the ability to “speak in tongues” come from a source other than the true God?
1 John 4:1: “Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired expression [“every spirit,” KJ, RS], but test the inspired expressions to see whether they originate with God.” (See also Matthew 7:21-23; 2 Corinthians 11:14, 15.)

Among those ‘speaking in tongues’ today are Pentecostals and Baptists, also Roman Catholics, Episcopalians, Methodists, Lutherans, and Presbyterians. Jesus said that the holy spirit would ‘guide his disciples into all the truth.’ (John 16:13) Do the members of each of these religions believe that the others who also “speak in tongues” have been guided into “all the truth”? How could that be, since they are not all in agreement? What spirit is making it possible for them to “speak in tongues”?

A joint statement by the Fountain Trust and the Church of England Evangelical Council admitted: “We are also aware that a similar phenomenon can occur under occult/demonic influence.” (Gospel and Spirit, April 1977, published by the Fountain Trust and the Church of England Evangelical Council, p. 12) The book Religious Movements in Contemporary America (edited by Irving I. Zaretsky and Mark P. Leone, quoting L. P. Gerlach) reports that in Haiti ‘speaking in tongues’ is characteristic of both Pentecostal and Voodoo religions.—(Princeton, N.J.; 1974), p. 693; see also 2 Thessalonians 2:9, 10.

Is the ‘speaking in tongues’ that is done today the same as that done by first-century Christians?
In the first century, the miraculous gifts of the spirit, including the ability to “speak in tongues,” verified that God’s favor had shifted from the Jewish system of worship to the newly established Christian congregation. (Heb. 2:2-4) Since that objective was accomplished in the first century, is it necessary to prove the same thing again and again in our day?

In the first century, the ability to “speak in tongues” gave impetus to the international work of witnessing that Jesus had commissioned his followers to do. (Acts 1:8; 2:1-11; Matt. 28:19) Is that how those who “speak in tongues” use that ability today?

In the first century, when Christians ‘spoke in tongues,’ what they said had meaning to people who knew those languages. (Acts 2:4, cool Today, is it not true that ‘speaking in tongues’ usually involves an ecstatic outburst of unintelligible sounds?

In the first century, the Bible shows, congregations were to limit the ‘speaking in tongues’ to two or three persons who might do that at any given meeting; they were to do it “each in turn,” and if there was no interpreter present they were to keep silent. (1 Cor. 14:27, 28, RS) Is that what is being done today?

See also pages 381, 382, under the heading “Spirit.”

Might the holy spirit be directing charismatics into practices that reach beyond what is found in the Scriptures?
2 Tim. 3:16, 17: “All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work.” (If someone claims to have an inspired message that conflicts with revelations made by God’s spirit through Jesus and his apostles, could it possibly be from the same source?)

Gal. 1:8: “Even if we or an angel out of heaven were to declare to you as good news something beyond [“at variance with,” NE] what we declared to you as good news, let him be accursed.”

Does the way of life of members of organizations that look with favor on ‘speaking in tongues’ give evidence that they have God’s spirit?
As a group do they outstandingly manifest such fruits of the spirit as mildness and self-control? Are these qualities readily evident to persons who attend their meetings for worship?—Gal. 5:22, 23.

Are they truly “no part of the world”? Because of this do they give full devotion to the Kingdom of God or are they involved in the world’s political affairs? Have they remained clean of bloodguilt during wartime? As a group do they have a fine reputation because of avoiding the world’s immoral conduct?—John 17:16; Isa. 2:4; 1 Thess. 4:3-8.

Are true Christians today identified by the ability to “speak in tongues”?

John 13:35: “By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.”

1 Cor. 13:1, 8: “If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels but do not have love, I have become a sounding piece of brass or a clashing cymbal. Love never fails. But whether there are gifts of prophesying, they will be done away with; whether there are tongues, they will cease.”

Jesus said that holy spirit would come upon his followers and that they would be witnesses of him to the most distant part of the earth. (Acts 1:cool He instructed them to “make disciples of people of all the nations.” (Matt. 28:19) He also foretold that ‘this good news of the kingdom would be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all nations.’ (Matt. 24:14) Who today, both as a group and individually, are doing this work? In harmony with what Jesus said, should we not look for this as an evidence that a group has holy spirit?

Is ‘speaking in tongues’ to continue until that which is “perfect” comes?
At 1 Corinthians 13:8 reference is made to several miraculous gifts—prophecy, tongues, and knowledge. Verse 9 again refers to two of these gifts—knowledge and prophecy—saying: “For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.” (KJ) Or, as RS reads: “For our knowledge is imperfect and our prophecy is imperfect.” Then verse 10 states: “But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.” (KJ) The word “perfect” is translated from the Greek teʹlei·on, which conveys the thought of being full grown, complete, or perfect. Ro, By, and NW here render it “complete.” Notice that it is not the gift of tongues that is said to be “imperfect,” “in part,” or partial. That is said of “prophecy” and “knowledge.” In other words, even with those miraculous gifts, the early Christians had only an imperfect or partial understanding of God’s purpose. But when the prophecies would come to fulfillment, when God’s purpose would be accomplished, then “that which is perfect,” or complete, would come. So, this is obviously not discussing how long the ‘gift of tongues’ would continue.

However, the Bible does indicate how long the ‘gift of tongues’ would be a part of Christian experience. According to the record, this gift and the other gifts of the spirit were always conveyed to persons by the laying on of hands of the apostles of Jesus Christ or in their presence. (Acts 2:4, 14, 17; 10:44-46; 19:6; see also Acts 8:14-18.) Thus, after their death and when the individuals who in that way had received the gifts died, the miraculous gifts resulting from the operation of God’s spirit must have come to their end. Such a view agrees with the purpose of those gifts as stated at Hebrews 2:2-4.

Does not Mark 16:17, 18 (KJ) show that the ability to “speak with new tongues” would be a sign identifying believers?
It should be noted that these verses refer not only to ‘speaking with new tongues’ but also to handling serpents and drinking deadly poison. Are all who “speak in tongues” also encouraging these practices?

For comments on the reasons why these verses are not accepted by all Bible scholars, see pages 158, 159, under the heading “Healing.”

JW.ORG
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by Investnow2017: 11:58pm On Aug 14, 2017
Skillz92:

And this Signs shall follow them that believe ….. They shall speak in Tongues.(mark 16:17).

The issue of speaking in tongues in Christendom has for some years now been an issue of debate. Some people believe that every believer must not speak in tongues backing their statement with the fact that speaking in tongues is the only evidence or proof of the Holygost. Some other group of believers on the other hand on the other hand maintained that speaking in tongue is the Evidence of the presence of the Holygost.

In this Article, I am not going to argue whether it is a must for every believer or not, I will be giving you ten reasons why every believer should speak in tongues.

1 Tongues is the initial sign.

“And they were all filled with the Holygost and began to speak with other Tongues as the spirit gave them utterance” Acts 2:4

The word of God clearly explained that the Disciples of Christ spoke in tongues immediately the holygost came on them while they were praying in Jerusalem.

2 Tongues for spiritual Edification

“He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifies himself” 1 cor 14:4

The term edification means building up, especially in a moral , emotional or spiritual sense. So when we speak in tongues we build up our selves spiritually. Paul explained that a man speaking in other tongues speaks not unto men but unto God.

“For one who speaks in an unknown tongue speaks not to men but to God, for no one understands because in the holygost he utters secret truths and hidden things not obvious to the understanding.” 1 cor 14:2

Anybody who speaks in tongues charges himself before God. ie he builds ups and strengthens himself.

3 Tongues remind us of the spirit’s indwelling presence

“And I will ask the father and he will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you. He is the holy spirit who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive him because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him, but you know him, because he lives with you now and later will be in you”. John 14:15-16

Notice that jesus said that he lives with you now and later will be in you and after the death of jesus the holygost. It means that the Holy Spirit then dwelled in them. We all know what happened when the holygost filled the disciples in Jerusalem. Speaking in tongues reminds us of the spirit’s indwelling presence.

4 praying in tongues is praying in line with God’s perfect Will.

“Likewise the spirit also helpeth our infirmities; for we know not what we should pray for as we ought, but the spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which words cannot be uttered.

And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.” Romans 8:26-27 kjv

The bible made it clear here that the holygost maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God. So praying in tongues helps us pray in line with the will of God.

5 praying in tongues stimulates faith.

“but you dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holyspirit” jude 20

If the holy spirit gives us the utterance when we speak in tongues, when we say a word, we don’t know what the next word will be, so we need to Trust God to bring it and that is faith. Praying in tongues helps us to strengthen our faith in God.

6 speaking in tongues is a means of keeping free from worldly contamination.

“If anyone speaks in a tongue , two or at most three should speak, one at a time, and someone should interpret. If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God.” I cor 14:27-28

Paul said when you speak in tongues in the church and there is no interpreter then you should speak to yourself. Therefore we can speak to ourselves in tongues and it won’t disturb anybody. This helps us to keep free from worldly contamination. For example, when you are in the midst of people who are discussing things which can contaminate our spirit and you don’t want to be part of it, speak to yourself in tongues by that it helps you to stay free from the conversation.

7 praying in tongues enable us to pray for the unknown

The Holy Spirit who knows everything can pray through for things which our natural mind knows nothing about. The spirit intercedes for us for we know not what to pray for as we ought. (Romans 8: 26).

Praying in the spirit provides a way for things to be prayed for that we wouldn’t know anything about in the natural.

8 praying in tongues gives spiritual refreshing.

“With foreign lips and strange tongues, God will speak to this people, to whom he said, this is the resting place, let the weary rest” Isaiah 28:11-12.

The scripture above speaks of rest and refreshing which is in the talking in other tongues. These things are vital for our spirits and we can take it every day.

9 Tongues for giving thanks.

Praying in tongues provides the most perfect way to pray way to pray and give thanks, for the bible said that when we pray in tongues that we give thanks very well. (1 cor 14:15-17)

10 speaking in tongues brings the tongue under subjection.

Yielding the tongue to the Holy Spirit to speak with other tongues is a giant step towards fully yielding all of our members to God. For if we can yield this most unruly member, we can yield any member.

SOURCE : http://praisebars.com/10-reasons-why-every-believer-must-speak-in-tongues/

DONT BE MISLED: HERE IS WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

The miraculous gift of tongues attended the outpouring of God’s spirit at Pentecost, 33 C.E. The approximately 120 disciples assembled in an upper room (possibly near the temple) were thereby enabled to speak about “the magnificent things of God” in the native tongues of the Jews and proselytes who had come to Jerusalem from faraway places for the observance of the festival. This fulfillment of Joel’s prophecy proved that God was using the new Christian congregation and no longer the Jewish congregation. In order to receive the free gift of the holy spirit, the Jews and proselytes had to repent and be baptized in Jesus’ name.—Ac 1:13-15; 2:1-47.

The gift of tongues proved very helpful to first-century Christians in preaching to those who spoke other languages. It was actually a sign to unbelievers. However, Paul, in writing to the Christian congregation at Corinth, directed that when meeting together, not all should speak in tongues, as strangers and unbelievers entering and not understanding would conclude that they were mad. He also recommended that the speaking in tongues “be limited to two or three at the most, and in turns.” However, if no one could translate, then the person speaking in a tongue was to remain silent in the congregation, speaking to himself and to God. (1Co 14:22-33) If no translating took place, his speaking in a tongue would not result in upbuilding others, for no one would listen to his speech because it would be meaningless to those unable to understand it.—1Co 14:2, 4.

If the person speaking in a tongue was unable to translate, then he did not understand what he himself was saying nor would others who were not familiar with that tongue, or language. Hence, Paul encouraged those having the gift of tongues to pray that they might also translate and thereby edify all listeners. From the foregoing, it can readily be seen why Paul, under inspiration, ranked speaking in tongues as a lesser gift and pointed out that in a congregation he would rather speak five words with his mind (understanding) than 10,000 words in a tongue.—1Co 14:11, 13-19.

“Interpretation of tongues.” The gift of interpretation of tongues was manifest in a person’s being able to translate a language unknown to the one having this gift. (1Co 12:10) This gift really enhanced the gift of speaking in tongues, since the entire congregation would be built up by hearing the translation.—1Co 14:5.

Other Operations of the Spirit. When mentioning some of the operations of the spirit in conjunction with the placement of the individual members of Christ’s body, Paul states: “God has set the respective ones in the congregation, first, apostles; second, prophets; third, teachers; then powerful works; then gifts of healings; helpful services, abilities to direct, different tongues.” (1Co 12:27, 28) “Helpful services” may have included the organized arrangements for aiding needy brothers materially, such as the distributing of food to needy widows, for which seven men “full of spirit and wisdom” were appointed in the Jerusalem congregation. (Ac 6:1-6) “Abilities to direct” were needed in order to follow through on the commission outlined by Jesus to make disciples. (Mt 28:19, 20) The missionary work as well as the establishing of new congregations and then guiding the activities of these congregations required skillful direction. In this regard it is noteworthy that Paul, with reference to his part in God’s building program, speaks of himself as “a wise director of works.”—1Co 3:10.

Control of the Gifts of the Spirit. Apparently those having the gifts of the spirit were in a position to use them only when Jehovah’s spirit came to be operative upon them to exercise the gift. For example, at Caesarea although Paul stayed in the home of Philip, who “had four daughters, virgins, that prophesied,” it was not one of these daughters but Agabus, a prophet who had come from Judea, who foretold Paul’s arrest. (Ac 21:8-11) At a meeting of the congregation, a prophet could receive a revelation while another prophet was speaking; but those having the gifts of the spirit had control over these when God’s spirit enveloped them, that is, they could refrain from speaking until opportunity was afforded. Therefore, prophesying, speaking in tongues, and translating could be done in an orderly way in the congregation, for the edification of all.—1Co 14:26-33. Visit JW.ORG
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by uvalued(m): 6:53am On Aug 15, 2017
@Otr1

haha hmm u writing another epistle...pls paragraph or itemise each reason you are addressing. its so jumble up.

lets get a grip of the topic using this question

1. you insinuated that cult speak in tongues, pls kindly share which cults.

2. can you justapose this verses acts 2:6-12 and 1cor 14:2 with respect to the audience the speaker was speaking to

3. you claim the tongue we speak started from 1900, and i gladly asked do you want to see how history on the side of tongues we speak... i will send you a pdf for you education.

grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by otr1(m): 1:48pm On Aug 15, 2017
uvalued:
@Otr1

haha hmm u writing another epistle...pls paragraph or itemise each reason you are addressing. its so jumble up.

lets get a grip of the topic using this question

1. you insinuated that cult speak in tongues, pls kindly share which cults.

2. can you justapose this verses acts 2:6-12 and 1cor 14:2 with respect to the audience the speaker was speaking to

3. you claim the tongue we speak started from 1900, and i gladly asked do you want to see how history on the side of tongues we speak... i will send you a pdf for you education.

grin

If you read your mentions, you won't be asking those questions again. Go and read it first.
I don't really have luxury of time to order posts. I've more time on this topic already than I could afford.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by waldigit: 5:20pm On Aug 15, 2017
Investnow2017:

You are right. But did Jesus speak in tongues? And did he ever say that every one must speak in tongue? Why make it sound as though without blabbing you will not be saved? That is the point dear.

Mark 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
Mark 15:34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? 15:35 And some of them that stood by, when they heard it, said, Behold, he calleth Elias.
Remember those said above were Jews yet they did not understand what he said.
Also from above scripture if you don't speak in tongue you are not a believer. End of discussion.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by Investnow2017: 5:54pm On Aug 15, 2017
waldigit:

Mark 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
Mark 15:34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? 15:35 And some of them that stood by, when they heard it, said, Behold, he calleth Elias.
Remember those said above were Jews yet they did not understand what he said.
Also from above scripture if you don't speak in tongue you are not a believer. End of discussion.

Its a pity that you have to conclude that way. You need to be set free by the truth that our Lord and Ransomer Jesus Christ taught. And that can happen if only you will exercise your God given free will and open up your heart and mind.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by uvalued(m): 3:06am On Aug 16, 2017
otr1:

If you read your mentions, you won't be asking those questions again. Go and read it first.
I don't really have luxury of time to order posts. I've more time on this topic already than I could afford.
i did not read which cult speaks in tongue. give a name
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by waldigit: 8:54am On Aug 16, 2017
Investnow2017:

Its a pity that you have to conclude that way. You need to be set free by the truth that our Lord and Ransomer Jesus Christ taught. And that can happen if only you will exercise your God given free will and open up your heart and mind.

Great, but hear what scripture says about the mind you advise I should open:

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
Romans 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
Proverb advised that I should not lean on my own understanding.

As a design professional I can tell what you see is just interpretation of your brain and not what is the truth. Beloved verily verily I say unto you, if Jesus could only do it by depending on Holy Spirit, you cant do it.Shalom.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues by otr1(m): 8:15pm On Aug 16, 2017
uvalued:

i did not read which cult speaks in tongue. give a name
In a journal article for the American Scientific Affiliation (an association of Christian scientists), Dr. Pattison summarizes the publications of numerous historians on this topic by saying
“Glossolalia had been practiced for many years along with other ecstatic phenomena by the prophets of the ancient religions of the Near East. Prophets and mystics of Assyria, Egypt, and Greece reportedly spoke in foreign tongues during states of ecstasy and uttered unintelligible phrases said to be revelations from the gods…The practice was known in ancient India and China, and ethnographies describe glossolalia in almost every area of the world”
He made the following conclusions:
“Glossolalia is practiced among non-Christian religions: the Peyote cult among the North American Indians, the Haida Indians of the Pacific Northwest, Shamans in the Sudan, the Shango cult of the West Coast of Africa(I can relate with this), the Shago cult in Trinidad, the Voodoo cult in Haiti, the Aborigines of South America and Australia, the Eskimos of the subarctic regions of North America and Asia, the Shamans in Greenland, the Dyaks of Borneo, the Zor cult of Ethiopia, the Siberian shamans, the Chaco Indians of South America, the Curanderos of the Andes, the Kinka in the African Sudan, the Thonga shamans of Africa, and the Tibetan monks”
There you have it.

Jesus warned: “And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition( battalogeó/ battalogēsēte) as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words.” ( Mat 6:7)
The Greek word that was translated into “meaningless repetition” is translated by Strong’s Concordance and HELPS Word Study as “to blubber nonsensical repetitions; to chatter, using empty (vain) words.” and “to repeat the same things over and over, to use many idle words, to babble, prate.”
There are two logical understandings of this statement by Jesus, either battalogeo refers to the length of prayer in a known language, or else babbling and repeating glossolalic sounds.
If its literally referring to “nonsensical repetitions” this would mean Jesus specifically argued against the glossolalia of the pagans.
That appears to be one of the only two possible interpretations, and is the case Dr. MacArthur posits in his book Charismatic Chaos.
Pentecostals usually argue that battalogeo actually refers to repetitions of known words (such a praying by repeating the word “please” many times in a row).
Firstly, we must note that Bible scholars have a general agreement for the translation of battalogeo as ecstatic speech, rather than known human language.
“There is general agreement that the idea of babbling or stammering is meant in Matthew 6:7. We may conclude that Jesus spoke against prayer which consisted of unintelligible speech or babbling, similar to the pagan prayers.”
If this is the case, then Jesus clearly taught against glossolalia. How could it be that Jesus taught against glossolalia, then later gave it as a gift? It makes no sense!
Yet, for the sake of arguments, lets give this point of interpretation to the Pentecostals, and say battalogeo doesn’t specifically refer to glossolalia by name. Then we still have a great deal of unresolved tension. The whole point of Mat 6:7 is that prayers should not be long and repetitive, but very clear and intentional ( Mat 6:8-13). Are not glossolalic prayers exactly the opposite? They last for prolonged periods of time and they include hundreds of repetitions of the same phrases. They are exactly the opposite of the Lord’s prayer that is explicitly taught in the Bible! Christ teaches a short prayer without any repetitions, Glossolalia is a long-winded prayer with hundreds of repetitions; Christ teaches known and intentional words ( Mat 6:9-13), while Glossolalia includes absolutely no known words in the speaker. Why would Jesus teach a standard of prayer that is exactly the opposite of glossolalia and never mention glossolalia?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Antichrist At Work!the Maddest Novel History Ever Produced. (the Davinci Code) / Comparison Between The Bible And Quran With Proof. / Why Do People See Lucifer As A Bad Name

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 209
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.