Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,555 members, 7,958,706 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 09:10 PM

FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power (24511 Views)

FG Gives FAAN, NAMA, Others 45 Days To Relocate Headquarters To Abuja / Xenophobia: FG Gives Loan, 9GB Data, N40,000 Airtime To South African Returnees / Would The Govt Object If A Private Company Decides To Produce Power For Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power by Nobody: 7:39am On Aug 15, 2017
Good
Re: FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power by izzy4shizzy(m): 7:39am On Aug 15, 2017
The only power they will produce is to steal money shikena
Re: FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power by trexzee: 7:42am On Aug 15, 2017
MasterChen:

They still end up adding it to the National grid

If not, then Lagos would have been running on 24-hours electricity
Akwa ibom and Port Harcourt as well, it's a very sad situation
Re: FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power by udees: 7:49am On Aug 15, 2017
No ipp in lagos that was or is built by the government of lagos state--it is a privates thing,the only two state in nigeria that built their power generation plant is Akwa Ibom State 197MW and River State [250MW] BUT Ameachi sold that of River state just before he left office to firs generation power company--Go and do investigation on this -stop promoting what you dont have knowledge about.
ok
herbeedar:

Except Lagos that I know of.
Re: FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power by sweatlana: 7:50am On Aug 15, 2017
Blue3k:
You guys realise many states have had Independent power projects for many years right?
I think want this means is that states will now control their distribution.
Re: FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power by sweatlana: 7:51am On Aug 15, 2017
udees:
No ipp in lagos that was or is built by the government of lagos state--it is a privates thing,the only two state in nigeria that built their power generation plant is Akwa Ibom State 197MW and River State [250MW] BUT Ameachi sold that of River state just before he left office to firs generation power company--Go and do investigation on this -stop promoting what you dont have knowledge about.
ok
Ameathief!!!

U are right.

1 Like

Re: FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power by okooyinbo(m): 7:52am On Aug 15, 2017
MasterChen:
If this is actually true, then it's probably the best piece of news I've read in a while

States like Lagos and Ogun have never been short of investors willing to invest in IPPs. The useless bottlenecks are the things holding them down. So many jobs will be created if this gets done. The number 1 reason why most Nigerian businesses fail is poor electricity

But again, I fear the generator guys would scuttle it . Heck! they are the ones making the laws
The number one reason is not lack of power, but the bureaucratic bottleneck and insufficient legislation. At least this act is not new. Fashola is pointing to the act, and I asked why he couldn't invest in the power sector while he was a governor?

3 Likes

Re: FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power by 20CRATES(m): 7:53am On Aug 15, 2017
Ogun state, Oyo state, Lagos state, Oya e gberra~ !
Re: FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power by MrEdimulo82(m): 7:54am On Aug 15, 2017
ogtavia:
yeah..a few states had IPP but constitutionally had to transmit power to the National Grid because they didn't have autonomy,....it is that power to transmit internally that was just granted them...this is good news but why it took the leaders many years to realize this is baffling..Akpabio was ready to make Akwa Ibom self - sufficient in electricity generation but this autonomy clause was the issue....gradually,tides of nation building and developmental trends will push us towards true federalism,regionalism probably restructuring...we will get there.

My only problem with certain pronouncements by govt officials; ministers et al is dat lack of consistency in such pronouncements while he pointed that out of the NEC act some other officials would employ needless bureaucracy to frustrate effort by the state to achieve such self sufficiency....Akwa ibom case in mind. Let's hope this will be sustained by subsequent official even in other areas of governance.
Re: FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power by KEVIND: 7:59am On Aug 15, 2017
Everything about power generation and distribution should be on the the Concurrent List. Not a situation where state are to generate but have no legislative back up to distribute.
Re: FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power by belcom10(m): 7:59am On Aug 15, 2017
Akwa ibom generates :ibom power plant
herbeedar:

Except Lagos that I know of.
Re: FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power by MrEdimulo82(m): 8:01am On Aug 15, 2017
okooyinbo:

The number one reason is not lack of power, but the bureaucratic bottleneck and insufficient legislation. At least this act is not new. Fashola is pointing to the act, and I asked why he couldn't invest in the power sector while he was a governor?

Well he did....in his time he reviewed and remodeled state IPPs programs which give birth to Island IPP currently supplying : Marina, General hospital, Lagos house etc. Before he left he commissioned the Alausa IPP. Serving LASUTH,Alausa etc all on 24/7 supply

......FYI I'm not his aide, I was only curious to have sought to know what was achieved. We can seek info and rid ourselves of ignorance. Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power by Nobody: 8:05am On Aug 15, 2017
ProWalker:

It's a gradual thing, we will get there

You couldn't have spoken a truer word.

We favour the dramatic over the realistic and the improbable over the possible. We search for saints instead of leaders and the result is that we suffer disappointment and turn around to blame others when it was in fact our own attitude that led us there.

On this platform people hold polar points of view bordering on extremism when in fact life is nuanced. We are a people in a hurry; always at full speed and never arriving.

I am very encouraged to hear some common sense here.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power by MasterChen: 8:06am On Aug 15, 2017
okooyinbo:

What legislation are you talking about? I'm talking of the reasons why Nigerian businesses fail

Fashola invested in power. Had a lot of IPP projects executed during his tenure. It's there on his website. Mredimulo82 already mentioned some

But at the end of the day, power generated from anywhere is still added to the National grid for others to share.

5 Likes

Re: FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power by 9jatatafo(m): 8:07am On Aug 15, 2017
How is the metering so far?!
Re: FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power by otokx(m): 8:15am On Aug 15, 2017
vincent10:
Reality has dawn on Fashola. It is more easier to criticize from outside not until when you are inside.

Actually there is progress, what we need is a sustained progress and not retraction.

For parts of Aluu to be having light, there is indeed progress, prepaid meter installations are on going in Rumuola and Rumuomasi areas, all in Port Harcourt.
Re: FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power by cletz991(m): 8:15am On Aug 15, 2017
OKOWA OVER TO YOU undecidedOKOWA OVER TO YOU
Re: FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power by michoim(m): 8:20am On Aug 15, 2017
This is the kind of real progress PDP denied Lagos for 16 years because of PDP impunity and greed.
Re: FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 8:20am On Aug 15, 2017
menxer:

The problem is sending the generated power from those IPPs to the national grid to be shared back to those that generated it in the first place.

Akwa Ibom has IPP, but do we have constant power? NO, because the power we generate is sent to the national grid to be allocated back to us.
That policy makes sense right?

We should be sending our excess output to national grid.

All hail Nigeria: backward since forever. This doesn't happen anywhere else in the world.

1 Like

Re: FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power by ELKHALIFAISIS(m): 8:24am On Aug 15, 2017
good ... can we build nuclear thermal power station all over Western Nigeria it will be of help should in case we want to melt them grin cheesy grin quote me a die by Dangote trailer
Re: FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power by ELKHALIFAISIS(m): 8:24am On Aug 15, 2017
good ... can we build nuclear thermal power station all over Western Nigeria it will be of help should in case we want to melt them grin cheesy grin quote me and die by Dangote trailer
Re: FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power by Lisaint(m): 8:25am On Aug 15, 2017
In a lay man language nko
Re: FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power by Juciano1(m): 8:30am On Aug 15, 2017
Fashola is this a new law? When was it passed? Why didn't you utilise it as a governor instead of lampooning the then govt.?
Re: FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power by joshkke(m): 8:34am On Aug 15, 2017
Why can't these generator mafia invest in this power scheme then? Are they so myopic that they can't see the real opportunity this presents?

MasterChen:
If this is actually true, then it's probably the best piece of news I've read in a while

States like Lagos and Ogun have never been short of investors willing to invest in IPPs. The useless bottlenecks are the things holding them down. So many jobs will be created if this gets done. The number 1 reason why most Nigerian businesses fail is poor electricity

But again, I fear the generator guys would scuttle it . Heck! they are the ones making the laws
Re: FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power by zuto4u(m): 9:11am On Aug 15, 2017
Wow! A lot of good news today, I am so very happy. God please make my country great again.
Re: FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power by papalumi29(m): 9:16am On Aug 15, 2017
I see intellectuals communicating here, no tribal attacks, we all agree that electricity power is inevitable for economy development and improvement in the standard of living.

For the first time, I am impressed and inspired by the contributions each and everyone has made to the subject matter. As a youth, we need to decide our future now, enough of diversion and hatred.

I will like to see many Nairalanders in the house of assemblies. Kenya did it, youths winning without posters, why can't Nigerians youth do better?.

I believe in youth, I believe in Nigeria, I believe in peace and I believe in God.

5 Likes

Re: FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power by udeh3(m): 9:19am On Aug 15, 2017
I will prefer a regional control centre instead of sending d generated energy to Oshogbo. That itself is wastage of energy (Power lost). Atleast d region we benefits what they are generating
Re: FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power by linearity: 9:20am On Aug 15, 2017
menxer:

The problem is sending the generated power from those IPPs to the national grid to be shared back to those that generated it in the first place.

Akwa Ibom has IPP, but do we have constant power? NO, because the power we generate is sent to the national grid to be allocated back to us.
That policy makes sense right?

We should be sending our excess output to national grid.

The reason for that is, states do not have their own independent distribution system and had to rely on the federal government national grid for distribution.

Base on what the Minister said, states can now invest in distribution and not only generation and dmarc points between state distribution system and the National grid can be metered such that only excess power is sent to the national grid.
Re: FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power by juman(m): 9:21am On Aug 15, 2017
Fake news.

APC repeat the same news several times.

1 Like

Re: FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power by tuscani: 9:35am On Aug 15, 2017
MasterChen:

States like Lagos and Ogun have never been short of investors willing to invest in IPPs. The useless bottlenecks are the things holding them down. So many jobs will be created if this gets done. The number 1 reason why most Nigerian SMEs fail is poor electricity

My brother, I know why you are excited, but it is not what you think. Because after the generation, you will still have to add it to the national Grid, and it will be shared amongst the 36 states,
Re: FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power by bareal(m): 9:38am On Aug 15, 2017
My fear has always been the governors, they are the biggest problems of the nation.
Re: FG Gives States Autonomy To Produce Power by chosengocap: 10:06am On Aug 15, 2017
Old Imo state comprised all of the present Abia, and majority parts of the present Ebonyi States and the whole of the present Imo State. The old Imo was created in 1976 from the old East Central state. Since its creation, its fortunes have not been different from those of other states of comparable needs in Nigeria particularly, parts of the eastern states that are now generally referred to as the southeastern states. During the second Republic, Imo State stood out as a beacon of the selfless industry doggedness and sheer willingness to succeed in the face of odds - all which are attributes with which the average Igbo man is known. In the Nigerian context, it meant even more. Its citizens suffered undue deprivation because the area had suffered two concurrent forms of marginalization - one from the federal government and the other by a systematic oversight by previous administrators of the area. What this means was that Imo had no industries, it had not modern infrastructure, no federal presence nor did it have any viable revenue generating institution of worth. This writer was a university student during Nigeria's second republic. What conspicuously stood Imo indigenes out from the rest of the student populace was our poverty of material well-being. Our only solace was that we were scholarly and brilliant. While students from the north enjoyed free education augmented by obvious wealthy parental intervention and a patronage sustained by the zone as the producers of majority Nigerian ruling class, students from the then LOOBO states - Lagos, Ogun, Oyo, Bendel and Ondo states enjoyed bursary awards that made the pursuit of the academe a thing of joy. With Chief Awolowo on the driver's seat, students from the Unity Party-ruled states were the envy of all. Students from Imo and old Anambra states earned none of this till much, more lately. But people from Imo state and its student-populace understood. Why because our leadership under the auspices of Chief Samuel Onunaka Mbakwe made us aware that we were a thoroughly disadvantaged and deprived people. He explained that our unenviable precarious situation stemmed from the fact that he was doing a lot while at the same time investing in industry and modern infrastructure to build a modern Imo state in order to make the lives of future Imo indigenes better than it was then. He explained that he was building a university to accommodate majority of Imo qualified indigenes who were not admitted into federal universities because of quota system - a system that had effectively deprived Imo state University bound students from being admitted proportionally into federal varsities, Imo being the greatest producer of potential university materials in the whole nation. We understood when he lamented that there were not industries in the state and that he was busy building industries to make Imo State the Taiwan of the nation; that we should take solace that after our graduation, we will have factories to employ us. He said he was building the Amaraku Power Generating Plant and that of Izombe, to provide electricity, since the federal government had effectively marginalized us, Imo people. He pledged that he would build the aluminum extrusion plant in Inyishi and the Avutu poultry farm. He begged us to bear with him because he had put a lot of money in rehabilitating the roads of Aba Township to provide Igbo traders a fortress from where to attack the burgeoning global mercantilism. Above all he promised he would build us a modern color television station with Outside Broadcast (OB) Vans and satellite stations to assuage our appetite for news, information and entertainment which the highly regulated and partisan NTA Aba, Nigeria could not provide. He told us to be studious as he was also busy building a new Owerri capital, which he then likened to "our own Abuja." For a start, he was busy building a five star hotel to be name "Imo Concorde," where we (every Imo citizen who can afford) would all meet during evening hours after a hard days job. In the end he approved for us a 300 Naira bursary for every Imo university student and a 200 Naira award for those in colleges of Technology. He assured us that before long most of us studying in other states would be flying into Owerri after he had completed the Imo Airport. By the time the Shagari regime was overthrown in 1983, Mbakwe had wrought near Economic Miracle in Imo state. He had accomplished in four years what he had set out to achieve in eight Years! Enter the Military: The all conquering, lo, rapacious military administration that ruled Imo state from 1983-1999 collectively seamed to have one mission in mind - to dismantle all the well programmed and well articulated people-oriented achievements of the civilian administration of Samuel Onunaka Mbakwe. Today, the Amaraku and Izombe power stations are no more. They were dismantled and sold into exile by a military administrator that happens to be Igbo. All the industries set up by Mbakwe were inexplicably allowed to rot, die and decay. As a matter of fact none of them survived the military era. Coupled with this, was the neglect with which the administrators of the Petroleum Trust Fund handled the state. While federal money were being pumped into the education and rehabilitation of infrastructure in many states of the federation especially in the north, Imo and almost all Igbo states trudged along as if they were not part of Nigeria. Our eminent sons and daughters who until recently were on the fore front in articulation of Imo policy had either been created out from Imo or have acquiesced because of the pursuit of material things. Sam Mbakwe now impoverished, had cried himself hoarse, no body ever hears of Dr. Nnanna Ukaegbu of Imerinwe. Chief Francis Arthur Nzeribe is not a man you can make a sustainable plan with. He could turn against you in a heartbeat and Chief Iwuanynwu, my former boss is enmeshed in the pursuit of prurient capitalism that you do not and can never understand where his political interests are - the Igbo or his pocket. Was it a big relief once more then when at the dawn of the new dispensation in 1999, all had hoped that Imo prosperity will as it does during any civilian regime will turn the corner? A hoped anchored on the belief that whenever Imo people collectively chose who ruled them they had always been right knowing that only our own will appreciate what ails the people.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Babajide Sanwo-olu: My Encounter With The Biggest Change Lagos Has Ever Seen. / PDP Flag Off Campaign Rally In Jigawa State Yesterday- Photos / Olabode Rhodes-Vivour Retires As Supreme Court Justice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.