Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,891 members, 7,817,621 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:41 PM

ASUU: No TSA waiver for universities-FG - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU: No TSA waiver for universities-FG (13566 Views)

IPPIS: FG Tells ASUU No Agency Must Oppose Payment System / Abolish Acceptance Fees In Universities - FG Gets 7-Day Ultimatum One Love Group / ASUU: No Regret Stopping Gowon, Soyinka From Speaking At Uniabuja Event (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU: No TSA waiver for universities-FG by AerialMapper: 8:25am On Aug 17, 2017
President Muhammadu Buhari appointed Adamu Adamu a well known journalist, and loyalist to the president as the minister for education

Professor Anwuka A seasoned Professor of Education and an experienced Public Administrator as Junior Minister

Therein lies the problem

1 Like

Re: ASUU: No TSA waiver for universities-FG by Nobody: 8:25am On Aug 17, 2017
Inspire01:
If u didn't experience atleast 4 months strike then u never attended Nigeria public University
4 months is even good. 8 months'
Re: ASUU: No TSA waiver for universities-FG by Inspire01: 8:31am On Aug 17, 2017
asuustrike2009:
4 months is even good. 8 months'
Lol, i experienced 6 months
Re: ASUU: No TSA waiver for universities-FG by stinggy(m): 8:35am On Aug 17, 2017
Keballl:

Ignorance is your strong forte, the TSA is causing more damage than Good. The University is a citadel of research and training,how do you hope they will achieve that when the TSA makes withdrawal and utilization of research grants cumbersome and difficult. Every IGR generated by the universities is sucked in by the TSA yet the govt claims it wants to grant universities some level of autonomy.

The 'wise' man, did you read this part:
“But there are some peculiar funds in the universities, like endowments, prizes and so on. Government will exempt those ones.’’
Not only Unis generate revenues internally, others do too and yet remit it into the central account.

1 Like

Re: ASUU: No TSA waiver for universities-FG by bahaushe1: 8:48am On Aug 17, 2017
diportivo:
the figures that I know, they have been paid N30 billion and the problem actually arose because they were not able to account for this N30 billion.
“And we said we will only give them the balance if they are able to account and the balance is N23 billion,’’ he said

whats hard in accountability

rogues everywhere undecided
The money was NOT released to ASUU. It was released to governing councils of Federal Universities. So, it is the governing councils that should give account of the money not ASUU. And of the 30b NGN released ASUU members benefited from about 13b NGN only, the was given to non-academic staff.
FG also promised to conduct forensic audit of the funds in 6 months beginning from November, 2016. We are in August, 2017 now and nothing has been done about it.
Re: ASUU: No TSA waiver for universities-FG by Keballl: 8:54am On Aug 17, 2017
stinggy:

The 'wise' man, did you read this part:

Not only Unis generate revenues internally, others do too and yet remit it into the central account.

Why didn't they exempt that since as a starting point ? Why use the excuse of carrying out forensic audit to frustrate the negotiation.

Even the labour minister and education were notably nonchalant and carefree when ASUU were giving them benefit of doubt.

Why talk about giving the University autonomy when you tie down their internally generated IGR ?

Ignorance shouldn't be permitted in public space.
Re: ASUU: No TSA waiver for universities-FG by samir101ng(m): 8:57am On Aug 17, 2017
Keballl:

Ignorance is your strong forte, the TSA is causing more damage than Good. The University is a citadel of research and training,how do you hope they will achieve that when the TSA makes withdrawal and utilization of research grants cumbersome and difficult. Every IGR generated by the universities is sucked in by the TSA yet the govt claims it wants to grant universities some level of autonomy.

Let me try to explain to you a little about how the TSA works so that you can be enlightened a bit.

Let me use a hypothetical example and use UNILAG as a case study.

What TSA simply does now is that the accounts of the University (UNILAG) are domiciled at the CBN Lagos Branch. They have two ways to access their money. Online via REMITTA or manually via e-payment schedules submitted to CBN Lagos Branch for posting/payment. So, who is stopping UNILAG from accessing their money?! Once money has been appropriated for UNILAG and released by the Ministry of Finance, their accounts are credited at the CBN Lagos Branch. Now, UNILAG can have more than one account domiciled at the CBN Branch. They can have accounts for their Capital, Recurrent Expenditures, Grants, TETFUND etc. Nothing stops UNILAG from accessing their money. Their signatories and mandate are all captured and transactions verifies before posting. It is this component that the universities are trying to bypass. Transparency and Integrity. You can't post a transactions without all the signatories to the account signing off on it or approving it on the system using REMITTA. I repeat nobody is stopping the universities from accessing their money. The CBN and FG are the usual scapegoats they use to cover their perchance for corruption and illegality. But because the commercial banks where giving them returns on their deposits, which was pocketed by the management of the University they are always against the TSA. The favours and gifts that they where used to is no longer available and that is why they blame the TSA. Even their revenue accounts is on the TSA. Universities are not allowed to spend government revenue without authorisation. Now, when you pay school fees and other charges, the money is paid into a commercial bank and swept to the universities revenue account with the CBN that same day. It doesn't stay overnight. And the University cannot access that account and spend money from it without the authorisation of either the Minister of Finance or the ACGF. These and other checks and balances are why the Universities are against the TSA. The TSA is a system that is efficient and designed to check corruption and revenue leakages. Plus every transaction can be traced to the persons that initiated and approved the transactions for accountability. I hope this explanation helps.

3 Likes

Re: ASUU: No TSA waiver for universities-FG by Josmila(m): 9:13am On Aug 17, 2017
Wanting to be exempted from TSA is corruption at it's peak. We remember how university authorities we feeding fat from monies they generated, now it's no more and it's biting them real hard
Re: ASUU: No TSA waiver for universities-FG by Max24: 9:15am On Aug 17, 2017
mrphysics:
Universities are so corrupt. How can they be asking for TSA waiver. Everyone is looking for a way to cheat the masses
TSA makes it easy for government to detect fraud but they won't want that. Same way NASS and NNPC rejected it. Nigeria is fantastically corrupt. Thank God Buhari insists on TSA unlike Jonathan.

1 Like

Re: ASUU: No TSA waiver for universities-FG by IBBG(m): 9:23am On Aug 17, 2017
i no support ASUU for dis TSA own o. The level of corruption at the position of the vice chancellor is discombobulating. TSA will at least more stressful for them to loot and embezzle funds.

1 Like

Re: ASUU: No TSA waiver for universities-FG by Keballl: 9:25am On Aug 17, 2017
samir101ng:

Let me try to explain to you a little about how the TSA works so that you can be enlightened a bit.

What TSA simply does now is that the accounts of the University (UNILAG) are domiciled at the CBN Lagos Branch. They have two ways to access their money. Online via REMITTA or manually via e-payment schedules submitted to CBN Lagos Branch for posting/payment. So, who is stopping UNILAG from accessing their money?! Once money has been appropriated for UNILAG and released by the Ministry of Finance, their accounts are credited at the CBN Lagos Branch. Now, UNILAG can have more than one account domiciled at the CBN Branch. They can have accounts for their Capital, Recurrent Expenditures, Grants, TETFUND etc. Nothing stops UNILAG from accessing their money. Their signatories and mandate are all captured and transactions verifies before posting. It is this component that the universities are trying to bypass. Transparency and Integrity. You can't post a transactions without all the signatories to the account signing off on it or approving it on the system using REMITTA. I repeat nobody is stopping the universities from accessing their money. The CBN and FG are the usual scapegoats they use to cover their perchance for corruption and illegality. But because the commercial banks where giving them returns on their deposits, which was pocketed by the management of the University they are always against the TSA. The favours and gifts that they where used to is no longer available and that is why they blame the TSA. Even their revenue accounts is on the TSA. Universities are not allowed to spend government revenue without authorisation. Now, when you pay school fees and other charges, the money is paid into a commercial bank and swept to the universities revenue account with the CBN that same day. It doesn't stay overnight. And the University cannot access that account and spend money from it without the authorisation of either the Minister of Finance or the ACGF. These and other checks and balances are why the Universities are against the TSA. The TSA is a system that is efficient and designed to check corruption and revenue leakages. Plus every transaction can be traced to the persons that initiated and approved the transactions for accountability. I hope this explanation helps.

Sweet talking isn't always consistent. What happens to foreign research grants won by researchers sucked in by the TSA. Getting them out is usually cumbersome, tiring and discouraging.

Even the minister of education agrees that some accruable funds to the university needs to be exempted from the TSA.

So bros, your long sweet talk is a different reality in practice.

1 Like

Re: ASUU: No TSA waiver for universities-FG by IBBG(m): 9:35am On Aug 17, 2017
samir101ng:

God bless you sir, for this succint and elaborate explanation. The level of corruption at the tertiary institution especially at the management level is mind boggling. Immediately i saw their demand to be exempted for TSA i saw the foul play they want to carry out. The little so funds so far the govt has disbursed to them they have not achieved any thing with it, instead they looted it. They are not better than our kleptomanic polticians, atleast we know that most of our polticians are broad day light rogues, but our lecturers hide under the guise of education to steal. No wonder we keep producing evil politicians.
Re: ASUU: No TSA waiver for universities-FG by bahaushe1: 9:42am On Aug 17, 2017
sayyid:

I actually did. but from what I understand from the post the universities don't want anything to do with TSA at all, because it's curbing their excesses
It is ASUU that is making the demand not Universities. And ASUU is not a signatory to any University. When you are negotiating with government you don't tell what you exactly want at the beginning. You make a bogus demand, they make a counter offer, both parties then meet at the center. That is the spirit of collective bargaining, no party get 100%.

1 Like

Re: ASUU: No TSA waiver for universities-FG by IamAthens(m): 10:27am On Aug 17, 2017
I am of the strong opinion that the FG should give them the waiver but on the condition that it also comes with an autonomy. You can't run a school with TSA, atleast not in Nigeria for now cos how do you sustain the day to day runnings of the institution? Grant them the waiver plus autonomy and compel them to use remita for all payments so that those ones working in the bursary, revenue and what not offices in such institutions don't steal all the money. No be same TSA wey AGF shamelessly say Dem Neva audit since 2015?
Re: ASUU: No TSA waiver for universities-FG by hardywaltz(m): 10:29am On Aug 17, 2017
Onopa:

Because TSA is bad for the system

As a prof your knowledge is needed everywhere you can't restrain me to a single salary

As a prof you can lecture in Uniben as an example earn salary and still be adjourned staff in another university with a different salary

with TSA that is not possible

Again, TSA doesnt captured overtime, responsibility allowances etc. Treasury Single Account would make civil servants poorer.

I reject it for universities

U don't have the faintest idea how the TSA functions
Re: ASUU: No TSA waiver for universities-FG by samir101ng(m): 11:10am On Aug 17, 2017
Keballl:

Sweet talking isn't always consistent. What happens to foreign research grants won by researchers sucked in by the TSA. Getting them out is usually cumbersome, tiring and discouraging.

Even the minister of education agrees that some accruable funds to the university needs to be exempted from the TSA.

So bros, your long sweet talk is a different reality in practice.

My brother no need for the hostile reaction. We are all learning here.

To explain further, any money given to federal universities in Nigeria has to be appropriated and approved by the National Assembly. It is Nigeria's money. And therefore the Federal Government can to a certain extent dictate how those funds are spent. The Federal Universities haven't been granted full autonomy as far as I know. As long as they collect money from the Federal Government, they have to also comply with laid down rules and regulations.

Now, a major concession that I think can be granted to the University is the issue of foreign grants, endowments and donations to the universities. Since it is money that isn't appropriated, they can have total control over it. However, it's a huge moral hazard to expect such funds to be used judiciously and transparently. Because the University management can use that money for any purpose and no one can hold them accountable for it. It's not a matter of sentiment. Let's be clear and honest about the matters here. Transparency and accountability is all we are asking the universities for. Just because the universities are not allowed to spend government funds any how doesn't mean that the TSA is bad.
Re: ASUU: No TSA waiver for universities-FG by Tayonic: 1:11pm On Aug 17, 2017
Keballl:

The withdrawals ASUU has been making before TSA how many inventions or positive developments have they brought to Nigerian economy?
You people sha want to continue with your looting.
Re: ASUU: No TSA waiver for universities-FG by Keballl: 1:16pm On Aug 17, 2017
Tayonic:
The withdrawals ASUU has been making before TSA how many inventions or positive developments have they brought to Nigerian economy?
You people sha want to continue with your looting.

Most of the current infrastructure in the tertiary institutions were as a result of ASUU struggles. Else, you did be taking lectures in those cramped little lecture halls built in the 70/80's and under trees.

Despite all these, the infrastructure deficit is still very evident. Support ASUU for a better educational sector.
Re: ASUU: No TSA waiver for universities-FG by enemyofprogress: 1:29pm On Aug 17, 2017
Why should they be exempted from TSA?
Re: ASUU: No TSA waiver for universities-FG by Onopa(m): 1:30pm On Aug 17, 2017
hardywaltz:

U don't have the faintest idea how the TSA functions

Tell me how it function if you know more than me

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photos: Yinka Ayefele’s Handsome Son Graduates From Howard University / {Official} UNN Merit ADMISSION List 2012/2013 Session is OUT.Check Ur Name Here / Unilorin Releases Nuclear Bomb For 2008/2009 (post Jamb Cutoff Is 240).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.