Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,452 members, 7,819,666 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:14 PM

15 Cars That Are Plummeting In Value - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 15 Cars That Are Plummeting In Value (27680 Views)

Throwback Cars That Nigerian Politicians Drove In The 90’s / 9 Most Expensive Cars That Were Found Abandoned (PHOTOS) / 5 Cars That Are More Expensive Than Neymar Jr’s Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

15 Cars That Are Plummeting In Value by JayKayMaybachz(m): 7:39am On Aug 17, 2017
Car depreciation is a source of intense consternation when purchasing a new or used vehicle. All cars lose their value, and this process begins sharply. The average new car loses approximately 10 percent of its value as soon as it’s driven off the dealer’s lot. At the end of the first year, the car will lose an additional 10 percent on average – and often much more.

Vehicles from an unappealing brand or with few options will feel the biggest impact, depreciating as much as half their purchase price in the first one or two years. If the manufacturer is retiring a vehicle, then the value can drop like a lead weight. This loss in value is relevant to any used car buyer.

What’s more is that depreciation doesn’t necessarily slow much after the first year. New cars continue to depreciate for another four more years, averaging a value loss of 15-25 percent each year. By the time it is five years old, the average car has lost 60 percent of its retail value.

If you’re looking to purchase a vehicle soon, it pays to know the market. Below is a list of 15 vehicles that are currently losing their value the fastest and why.

1. Hyundai Genesis

The Hyundai Genesis is at the top of the list of vehicles that depreciate the most and quickest. The Genesis competes with other luxury cars, but lacks the brand appeal of an established luxury vehicle. Its price tag is comparable to Mercedes or Lexus models, but it will lose 38 percent of its purchase value within the first 12 months. This is a drawback if buying brand new, but could be considered a benefit if buying used. Car buyers looking for luxury can buy a 1-year-old Genesis for $16k less than a brand new one (which starts at around $52k).

2. Smart ForTwo

The Smart ForTwo is another vehicle whose value free falls in the first year of ownership. This is likely because, although it gets plenty of publicity for being a green car, the benefits of driving it seem to end there. The gas mileage is formidable but the interior is claustrophobic and cramped, the two-speed transmission is obnoxious to most drivers and though it’s touted as safe for its compact size, most car buyers would seem to prefer a more highly safety-rated, mid-sized competitor. The Smart ForTwo is worth 36 percent less than what its owner paid for it (approximately $14k), after only one year.

3. Chevrolet Impala

Chevy’s Impala is a well-known and popular car. So why does it depreciate so much so fast? For one, it’s part of Chevy’s fleet sales lineup. This means thousands of these cars face the destiny of being company cars or rentals. In short: they are oversupplied. There is nothing unique, rare or irresistibly attractive about them and with the amount of Impalas on the market (and the demand for midsize sedans shrinking,) the value of this popular Chevy model has plummeted. Last year’s model (which started at $27k) is worth 33.5 percent less today.

4. GMC Yukon

The rise in gas prices has halted for the most part and the appeal of gas-guzzling SUVs has returned. The new redesigned GMC Yukon may have suffered in its redesign, or else new car buyers are doing the 5-year cost-to-own research as seeing that a brand new Yukon ($47k) will cost them upwards of $70k just to own for the first five years. Whatever the reason, these SUVs are depreciating nearly 33 percent in just the first year.

5. Lincoln MKS

The Lincoln MKS is soon facing obsolescence. It has been a slow-selling model that appealed to those car buyers seeking luxury under $50k. Because it was never a standout top-seller, it’s now worth 30.4 percent less than what its owner paid for it last year. Like the Genesis, this is a thorn in the side of the person buying an MKS brand new, but a used car buyer’s best-case scenario.

6. Mini Cooper

The Mini Cooper is an attractive compact vehicle with a loyal band of followers but it depreciates more than any other model in its class. Last year the typical cost of a brand new Mini Cooper was $20k. For any owners with a 2015 Mini sitting in their garage, it’s now worth 29.3 percent less. When considering a car like this, residual value matters because depreciation is the largest single cost of owning a car.

7. Jaguar XK

The Jaguar XK, like the Lincoln MKS above, is now an obsolete model. Jaguar has replaced it with the newer, flashier F-type model. Last year’s Jaguar XKs were driven off the dealership lot for around $84.5k. They’ve since lost just under 30 percent of that value, depreciating 29.2 percent in the last 12 months. This make and model of Jaguar would be suited on a list of cars that are best purchased used.

8. Nissan Rogue SV

Introduced as a sporty alternative to more square and practical Toyota and Honda models, the Rogue appealed to loyal Nissan owners. However, after a redesign, the value of this vehicle slipped more than 5 percent. Like the Nissan Leaf, the Rogue is just that, a rogue on this list, with an above-average depreciation rate.

9. Mercedes S-Class

The Mercedes S-Class is a vehicle renowned for being more advanced than its competitors are. The typical off-the-lot cost is above $70k, but depreciation is the most remarkable feature a new owner will experience.

Last year’s models are now worth 32.4 percent less. This makes the S-Class one of Mercedes’ used car bargains since they are so technologically equipped when they’re new, to purchase one used at a fraction of the sticker price would not be an unwise buy.

10. BMW 328i

Luxury cars are prone to depreciating more quickly than roadrunners people buy and drive hard and often. The BMW 328i is an example too of a popular luxury vehicle that’s leased in large numbers, over-supplied like Chevy’s Impala, and destined to depreciate even faster.

11. Lexus ES 350

Lexus remains a carmaker with a valued reputation. Lexus owners tend to gravitate toward smooth, sleek design, luxury, speed and handling that excels. The ES 350 is perhaps Lexus’ more ‘boring’ model, and looks average and unremarkable on the outside. This could be why it depreciates $9.1k in its first year of ownership.

12. Nissan Leaf

The Nissan Leaf is Nissan’s great success in the realm of electric vehicles. Yet it suffers one of the worst drops in value of any vehicle on this list. The abundance of leased Leafs hurts its resale value, as does the nearly $7.5k in tax credits, and more in dealer incentives or discounts. All of these mark offs from the total cost filter down when the car is resold.

13. Dodge Charger

Cars.com shows the total 5-year cost to own a 2015 Dodge Charger at just over $41k. The original total cost of this vehicle was $26k, and within the first year, its value will depreciate more than $8k (upwards of 45 percent). Why is this? Most models are unremarkable, with no noteworthy add-on features. The depreciation rate could also be due to the more popular, attractive and upgradable competitors on the market.

14. Chevrolet Camaro

Chevy’s sporty, sharp Camaro is reported as losing 39 percent of its value in the first year. This is one of highest depreciation rates on this list. The average 5-year total cost to own a 2015 is about $40k. It’s $23.7k off the lot and loses a little more than $8k in the first year of ownership. This is an American- made sports car, like the Mustang, SS or Corvette, which has a following of worshippers that lines of luxury cars also have. For this reason, perhaps, the Camaro depreciates like a luxury car.

15. Kia Cadenza

The Kia Cadenza is another top contender in the list of swiftly depreciating vehicles. At a rate of 38 percent, this car is a bargain to buy lightly used, and difficulty to justify buying brand new. Kia’s pseudo-luxury large sedan has yet to win over buyers. It’s also not the only Kia on this list.

http://racingsworld.org/15-cars-that-are-plummeting-in-value/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 15 Cars That Are Plummeting In Value by Nobody: 12:22pm On Aug 17, 2017
FTC LIKE THIS IYA LOJA

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 15 Cars That Are Plummeting In Value by Macdonad: 12:23pm On Aug 17, 2017
Re: 15 Cars That Are Plummeting In Value by uc4uandc(f): 12:23pm On Aug 17, 2017
grin
Re: 15 Cars That Are Plummeting In Value by Nobody: 12:23pm On Aug 17, 2017
No 2 is a no No for me grin grin grin
Re: 15 Cars That Are Plummeting In Value by Jblade: 12:24pm On Aug 17, 2017
I been wan see corolla or camry lipsrsealed

5 Likes

Re: 15 Cars That Are Plummeting In Value by brownhawk: 12:24pm On Aug 17, 2017
make those depreciating cars affordable for the average or low earners in Nigeria and see how "depreciative"they will be after marketing

1 Like

Re: 15 Cars That Are Plummeting In Value by Nobody: 12:24pm On Aug 17, 2017
Chevy all day although when I get older I will switch to Benz or bmw
Re: 15 Cars That Are Plummeting In Value by Rick9(m): 12:24pm On Aug 17, 2017
I need a Range Sport
Re: 15 Cars That Are Plummeting In Value by Nobody: 12:24pm On Aug 17, 2017
Well maybe the person bell have somthing to say
Re: 15 Cars That Are Plummeting In Value by namdyz(m): 12:25pm On Aug 17, 2017
K

1 Like

Re: 15 Cars That Are Plummeting In Value by Nobody: 12:26pm On Aug 17, 2017
`

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 15 Cars That Are Plummeting In Value by Kingluqman89(m): 12:26pm On Aug 17, 2017
buhari sef.. I for don buy that Impala.

1 Like

Re: 15 Cars That Are Plummeting In Value by shadfoye: 12:27pm On Aug 17, 2017
Others include. ....
Re: 15 Cars That Are Plummeting In Value by Diegostan(m): 12:27pm On Aug 17, 2017
I want me a Chevrolet smiley
Re: 15 Cars That Are Plummeting In Value by dipznano: 12:28pm On Aug 17, 2017
Hmmm
Re: 15 Cars That Are Plummeting In Value by okenwaa(m): 12:29pm On Aug 17, 2017
Gwongworo nko
Re: 15 Cars That Are Plummeting In Value by jericco1(m): 12:30pm On Aug 17, 2017
It's a good thing, believe me.
Re: 15 Cars That Are Plummeting In Value by Orpe7(m): 12:31pm On Aug 17, 2017
No Toyota camry tiny light?
Atleast for 300k grin

1 Like

Re: 15 Cars That Are Plummeting In Value by GeneralOjukwu: 12:31pm On Aug 17, 2017
allrightsir:
of what relevance is this cut and paste to Nigerians? Depreciation is a localised Thing for instance Nigeria is the only place in the world where Toyota is a premium brand, only in Nigeria does toyota cost more than honda, so how useful is depreciation in other countries to a Nigerian?

That's what I dislike about most of these copy-paste articles.

Yes, I commend them for the effort in putting them up, but they are often not too relevant to the local context.

PS - want to use a Chevy Impala one day, as a Snoop/ Dr. Dre fan wink

LOL. ..Lords Bolton & Baelish are online....GoT episode 6 has leaked...no spoilers abeg. I am about to watch!

1 Like

Re: 15 Cars That Are Plummeting In Value by akom0908(m): 12:33pm On Aug 17, 2017
I actually thought the cars price will reduce to less than 1 million....The least of the price of those cars is over 7 million if it get to Nigeria...nonsense
Re: 15 Cars That Are Plummeting In Value by dakeskese(m): 12:37pm On Aug 17, 2017

#TeamPeogeot504
Re: 15 Cars That Are Plummeting In Value by Richy4(m): 12:38pm On Aug 17, 2017
When you see those cars in that pic and see the road it was parked, you feel like having one immediately....

Snap that same car in some of Nigerian Beautiful roads..it will look like it was heading to a scrap yard..
Re: 15 Cars That Are Plummeting In Value by Nobody: 12:39pm On Aug 17, 2017
`
Re: 15 Cars That Are Plummeting In Value by buffalowings: 12:47pm On Aug 17, 2017
Bentley pic for hyundia angry
Re: 15 Cars That Are Plummeting In Value by lanrei(m): 12:48pm On Aug 17, 2017
Make I dey use my tiny light jeje
Re: 15 Cars That Are Plummeting In Value by KayDEAN(m): 12:50pm On Aug 17, 2017
Give me an impala anyday, I'll be forever grateful, I'm a Supernatural fan
Re: 15 Cars That Are Plummeting In Value by MadCow1: 12:59pm On Aug 17, 2017
Innoson
Re: 15 Cars That Are Plummeting In Value by shadrach77: 1:28pm On Aug 17, 2017
Remove the Mini Cooper from that list
Re: 15 Cars That Are Plummeting In Value by trexzee: 1:54pm On Aug 17, 2017
Richy4:
When you see those cars in that pic and see the road it was parked, you feel like having one immediately....

Snap that same car in some of Nigerian Beautiful roads..it will look like it was heading to a scrap yard..
Nigeria is not that bad nau, haba grin

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Car Constructed With Wood With Motorcycle Engine In Bida / RR Cullinan Vs Bentley Bentayga, Which Of The 2 SUVs Would You Rather Ride In? / Innoson: FG Did Not Order Us To Relocate To Lagos Or Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.