Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,214 members, 7,829,346 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

The ASUU Strike That Changed My Life For Good. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The ASUU Strike That Changed My Life For Good. (940 Views)

Onoja Joy: Kogi Female Traffic Warden Goes Viral For Good Reason (photos) / Use This ASUU Strike To Come Intern At Hotels.ng -CEO Of Hotels.ng , Mark Essien (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The ASUU Strike That Changed My Life For Good. by tundefamuyide(m): 5:08pm On Aug 18, 2017
The 2013 ASUU strike which started on the 1st of July 2013 seemed like a relief at first from the rigorous school work and syllabus, but as the strike proceeded it became nettlesome. I would never have imagined a strike action lasting that long. The steps I took during that period which lasted for (5) five months and (15) fifteen days however changed the course of my life for good. A week after the announcement, I left for home, this reunited me with my peers who I had not seen in a while. We were all back at home, thanks to ASUU, because our various schools Academic Calendar differs. Nobody knew for how long the strike action would last, we all hoped to get back to our various schools as soon as possible. Days turned into weeks gradually, weeks into months. The excitement we had re-uniting with each other at first had weaned off, we had become familiar with ourselves again, and most our parents had begun to complain about our excesses.
Prior to the strike, I was in Part-Three second semester at the Federal University of Technology Akure (FUTA). Part three students must select one out of various Entrepreneurship courses, I opted for “Communication Skills”. The training was nearing its completion before the strike action ensued, so we all left for our various homes without getting our certificates. Since the training was an affiliation program outside the school environment, it was possible for me to return to Akure and complete my training in the act of public speaking. I was already bored at home, I discussed with my Dad to allow me return to Akure and complete my vocational training, to which he agreed. I was elated! At the completion of my training on “The Act of Public Speaking”, I couldn’t return home to deal with idleness also coupled with the fact that I wasn’t interested in my Dad’s business, because I wanted something new and challenging. After exhausting the cash I was given for upkeep while leaving home, I needed another source of income to remain in Akure, and to prove a point that I could actually take care of myself. I drafted my resume and applied for some jobs, myself and a friend Abiola Owolewa. I offered my services as a volunteer at the firm where I had undergone my training earlier on, I was accepted. I sent my resume to the community radio FUTA 93.1FM, as a Sport Analyst, and also to a Hotel as a cleaner. I passed my interview at the community radio, and got on the radio as an analyst. The response from the hotel came at a much later date, by then my volunteering experience in an administrative role at LEAD Initiatives was really interesting and exciting, so I declined the offer to work in the hotel (Another student from my school got this job). Abiola also got a job as an administrative assistant in a dealership.
Volunteering is actually very rewarding, I got stipends from both jobs and I was able to live on that. I would resume very early at 7am in the morning for my radio analyst job, then return to resume at 8am for my administrative job and close around 4pm. I would relax then return to the radio station for the evening broadcast. My role as an administrative assistant and radio analyst, prepared me for all the other tasks I later undertook in my work experience. It created various opportunities and positioned me for growth and exposure. I was studying Microbiology in the University then, but I learned about Bookkeeping, Planning and Scheduling, Documentation, Research works, I really learned on the jobs, I managed documents and files, learnt about logistics, equipment and storage, assisted in various daily operations, general office support, I learnt about CorelDRAW, presentations, typically using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook). My volunteering experience introduced me to Professionalism, it made me Well-Organized, Courteous and Reliable. I developed a strong work ethic, Problem solving and Critical thinking skills, Good Interpersonal and Communication skills, Multitasking ability. At the end I was exposed to Teamwork and Collaboration, I had more Discretion and was more Focused.
I made new contacts with young vibrant minds like myself over this period of time, also met with dignitaries and other important personalities in government positions then in our society. People like Gov. Olusegun Mimiko, former Minister of Aviation Chief Fani-Kayode, former Minister of Agriculture Dr. Akinwumi Adesina, and former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan. I realized that I could be more and do more, this spurred me to achieve even greater things. Ever since, every break from school was utilized for volunteering and learning something new. All these were my building blocks and prepared me better for now. The following year in Part IV for example, getting an internship placement wasn’t difficult, I interned with uac foods. While still in school, I also handled ancillary jobs for Top-notch organizations like NBC (CocaCola), Human Capital Partners (HCP), Worldview International, Etisalat and others.
The 2013 experience kick-started all the transformation I had undergone, and is still responsible for the meaningful strides I am taking currently. I have had plenty of room for growth while volunteering, my involvement in lots of transformational projects across the country over the years as a project assistant has also equipped me with advanced skills needed to thrive and excel in the corporate world. In the process, I have also evolved into an idea-machine and an employable graduate. Dear undergraduates, you can’t afford to sit at home doing nothing during this period. Endeavour to build capacity and add more value to yourselves, there are lots of things you can do. Some examples listed below;
1. Learn a Craft: You can learn Furniture making, Hair styling/Barbing, Make-Over, Fashion Design, Bead Making, Tie and Dye and lots more. You get to make extra bucks for yourself.
2. Professional Certification: There are lots of courses you can take, write the exams and get certified. PMT, NIM, MCP and lots more. It is helpful for your Resume/CV
3. Volunteering/ Paid Internship: Find a firm who specialize in your field of study, offer your services as a volunteer or intern and learn on the job. Like what Mark Essien of Hotels.ng is offering. It is helpful for your Resume/CV
4. Implement your Ideas: Do you have a business idea? Now would be the time to explore your ideas, even if you fail, fail forward and learn. Start a poultry, fishery, farming and lots more.

2 Likes

Re: The ASUU Strike That Changed My Life For Good. by LifeIsGuhd(f): 5:12pm On Aug 18, 2017
Lets focus on the present so I know if its time for me to propose.

So young man, what do you do for a living? angry grin
Re: The ASUU Strike That Changed My Life For Good. by fk001(m): 5:15pm On Aug 18, 2017
I hope they will make use of your advice.
Re: The ASUU Strike That Changed My Life For Good. by Fiscabally(m): 6:01pm On Aug 19, 2017
nice tips
Re: The ASUU Strike That Changed My Life For Good. by Positivist: 1:49am On Aug 20, 2017
I can relate with this. It was during the said strike I developed my knowledge and experience in blogging. My undergraduate research project equally extended beyond the time span and the strike was all I needed not have an extra year.

Posts like this should be available to a wider audience through the front page.
Re: The ASUU Strike That Changed My Life For Good. by 1cor2v9: 2:15pm On Aug 20, 2017
cc: lalasticlala
Re: The ASUU Strike That Changed My Life For Good. by FunnyDude(m): 3:05pm On Aug 20, 2017
Shut up and tell us how you finally made it in life. Not here to read all these long story of yours.
Did you have 30 billion in your akant like David?
Did you have money like husshpupi? Mompha?

Swerve abeg
Re: The ASUU Strike That Changed My Life For Good. by Dracoe(m): 9:45pm On Aug 20, 2017
The truth is to do just anything nowadays requires money.It would be very hard for someone that is still struggling to eat.. to have 3 square meals a day to think of going to pay a certain amount of money to learn a trade or craft.

(1) (Reply)

See six (6) things to do to stop bad thoughts arising in your mind / This New Career Guarantee N150k-n250k Monthly / Nigerian Boy Who Drew Realistic Painting Of Kevin Hart Set To Go International

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.