Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,106 members, 7,849,451 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 09:50 PM

ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili (28345 Views)

ASUU Demands ₦1 Trillion From FG To Suspend Ongoing Strike / Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG / List Of ASUU Demands As Strike Is Suspended Conditionally (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili by JaffyJoe(m): 8:03pm On Aug 20, 2017
ASUU and health workers have this insatiable urge for more and more all the time. The notion that they are making all these noise in the interest of the students is bullshit.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili by henryhemon(m): 8:07pm On Aug 20, 2017
ASUU has been demanding since I was born and they always claim it's for the good of our education,agreed our education is very poor but what have they been doing with all the demands that government has fulfilled. I'm not justifying why gov't should improve te education sector but I know ASUU is just fighting for their pockets.

1 Like

Re: ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili by proffemi: 8:11pm On Aug 20, 2017
JaffyJoe:
ASUU and Health worker have this insatiable urge for more and more all the time. The notion that they are making all these noise in the interest of the students is bullshit.

So you're saying students will not benefit from improved facilities?
psst: before you reply, consider the evidence accumulated over the last two decades or so.

1 Like

Re: ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili by proffemi: 8:14pm On Aug 20, 2017
henryhemon:
ASUU has been demanding since I was born and they always claim it's for the good of our education,agreed our education is very poor but what have they been doing with all the demands that government has fulfilled. I'm not justifying why gov't should improve te education sector but I know ASUU is just fighting for their pockets.

ASUU members are definitely fighting for "their pockets", and they are well within their rights to do so.
In addition though, "they" are fighting for the Nigerian tertiary education system. Whether you believe it or not may be immaterial because they probably know more about this subject than you do.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili by enemyofprogress: 8:18pm On Aug 20, 2017
But the salaries of members of the national assembly are realistic abi?

2 Likes

Re: ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili by uvalued(m): 8:23pm On Aug 20, 2017
brainpulse:
Ma, you made a valid point.

wish she should have addressed the money to buy carsfor HOR members
Re: ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili by henryhemon(m): 8:35pm On Aug 20, 2017
proffemi:

ASUU members are definitely fighting for "their pockets", and they are well within their rights to do so.
In addition though, "they" are fighting for the Nigerian tertiary education system. Whether you believe it or not may be immaterial because they probably know more about this subject than you do.

I went through all I wrote and didn't see where I said they do not have the right to fight for their pocket or are just pained about what I said that's true??
Re: ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili by proffemi: 8:40pm On Aug 20, 2017
henryhemon:
I went through all I wrote and didn't see where I said they do not have the right to fight for their pocket or are just pained about what I said that's true??

Why will anything you say pain me?

You said "ASUU is just fighting for their pockets". I know that statement to be false, so I addressed it by:
a. First reminding you that even if that were true, ASUU has every right to do it; and
b. Letting you know (if you didn't already know) that the statement was false, because ASUU is also fighting for the system (which the "just" in your statement doesn't acknowledge).

Hope I've clarified things for you now?

2 Likes

Re: ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili by marooh: 8:42pm On Aug 20, 2017
Ok...ASUU why nah
Re: ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili by millik(f): 8:55pm On Aug 20, 2017
this woman is still lobbying for appointment. with her body language

1 Like

Re: ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili by mikeomis: 8:56pm On Aug 20, 2017
ogawisdom:
angry 2009 agreement shld be re-negotiated in the light of the economic realities of the day
Re: ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili by JaffyJoe(m): 8:56pm On Aug 20, 2017
proffemi:

So you're saying students will not benefit from improved facilities?
psst: before you reply, consider the evidence accumulated over the last two decades or so.

Of course, they would. Just as patients would if hospitals are well equipped, commuters if our transport sector is modernized, farmers if given appropriate support. It is within every citizen's right to have access to quality life and resource. However, would it make sense for farmers to put a halt to food production nationwide just to make a case for themselves? Who suffers?

Many civil servants don't even make a quarter of what these people take home on monthly basis.
Re: ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili by Nobody: 9:00pm On Aug 20, 2017
AtkinsPlanet:
Just remember you are toying with some kids future, here.

Check out my signature.
the future has been toyed already with joblessnes s
Re: ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili by Tuoyofelix(m): 9:01pm On Aug 20, 2017
still waiting for Buhari to summit his Essay on how he spent his last holiday.
Re: ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili by proffemi: 9:06pm On Aug 20, 2017
JaffyJoe:
Of course, they would. Just as patients would if hospitals are well equipped, commuters if our transport sector is modernized, farmers if given appropriate support. It is within every citizen's right to have access to quality life and resource. However, would it make sense for farmers to put a halt to food production nationwide just to make a case for themselves? Who suffers?

Many civil servants don't even make a quarter of what these people take home on monthly basis.

I'm sure you're familiar with the notion of a pyramid as it applies to ecosystems, no? Not all layers of such pyramids are of equal importance.

The stubborn demands of the custodians of a crucial sector for its improvement go beyond self-service. You cannot equate university lecturers and researchers to other civil servants. They play different roles in the pyramid of socio-economic development. Everybody should know this. Don't you?

Edit: BTW, full disclosure: I am one of "these people" o. Yep, I'm a lecturer ( runs for cover ).
Re: ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili by JaffyJoe(m): 9:07pm On Aug 20, 2017
The truth is many institutions of this country yearn for attention, funding and justifiably deserve better but if everybody starts making unrealistic demands or activating strike actions, within a week the country will be a total mess.
Re: ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili by kings09(m): 9:16pm On Aug 20, 2017
bigtt76:
How can government fund and grant autonomy at the same time? ASUU de crase shaaaaa. They want government money to spend as they like ko? Why don't they ASUU come up with a scheme to make money for their respective institutions? Useless people like our National Assembly angry
U know school fees will be one of those schemes n guess who protest most
Re: ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili by proffemi: 9:20pm On Aug 20, 2017
kings09:

No mind am. Does he think ASUU doesn't know easy ways to raise funds for universities? Hint: students, meet fees.
Re: ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili by Iamzik: 9:21pm On Aug 20, 2017
Splashme:
She stated she does not know details of the agreement reached yet she's claiming demands are unrealistic

Confused woman

Before you bash her do you think that 800 billion is a realistic demand at this time?
Re: ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili by JaffyJoe(m): 9:22pm On Aug 20, 2017
proffemi:

I'm sure you're familiar with the notion of a pyramid as it applies to ecosystems, no? Not all layers of such pyramids are of equal importance.

The stubborn demands of the custodians of a crucial sector for its improvement go beyond self-service. You cannot equate university lecturers and researchers to other civil servants. They play different roles in the pyramid of socio-economic development. Everybody should know this. Don't you?

Yeah I know that. My allusion was aimed at strategically placed professions of equal or nearly equal importance to state's social-economic growth. Transport, Agriculture etc.

Btw, I think the point of agitation isn't lack of fulfillment of the said agreements at all but that it has only been partly fulfilled right?
Re: ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili by CioAngels(f): 9:24pm On Aug 20, 2017
For once, there is a Nigerian leader that speaks the truth in the person of minister of education, alhaji adamu adamu, by saying government did not keep to their own side of the agreement, any other person would have twisted the story. May you live long and thank you sir. I just hope that pa obasanjo and oby ezekwuesili will not pollute your mind? Nigerian leaders don't have their children in the Nigerian public universities so the school can rot, they don't care. May they all reap from their wickedness against the ordinary poor Nigerians.
Re: ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili by Iamzik: 9:26pm On Aug 20, 2017
kings09:

Students are paying through their nose already.

Almost all these universities have consultancy services running part time programmes that pay double or triple the normal school fee.

What do they do with all that money if government is responsible for payment of salaries and maintenance of the school. This is beside education grants by international organizations, PTF and others.

Universities should account for the money they currently make before asking for over 800 billion
Re: ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili by proffemi: 9:36pm On Aug 20, 2017
JaffyJoe:
Yeah I know that. My allusion was aimed at strategically placed professions of equal or nearly equal importance to state's social-economic growth. Transport, Agriculture etc.
Btw, I think the point of agitation isn't lack of fulfillment of the said agreements at all but that it has only been partly fulfilled right?

Equal importance: honestly, nope. It is no coincidence that NMA and ASUU so easily get at government's jugular. They're both at the top of the "food chain" for different reasons. Every single sector depends on the skilled manpower that tertiary educational institutions are supposed to provide. For doctors, the effect of their downing tools tends to hit at the very heart of our being well enough to function, and alive.

I don't really want to join issues with you about how serious government has been about the agreement; there's enough blame to go around, and I'm just tired of the whole country at this point.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili by NSK4U(m): 9:37pm On Aug 20, 2017
ASUU's demand is simply unattainable especially with the current economic condition. also their demands r for their own benefits and not for the improvement of the standard of education in Nigeria. so a pity man is never satisfied until nature satisfies him with rest........

Do your Registration and Training for all INTERNATIONAL EXAMS including TOEFL, IELTS, GMAT, SAT1, GRE, PTE, SAT2. @

GLOBAL VISION INTERNATIONAL
EDUCATION & TRAVELS.

We accept ZERO DEPOSIT { ie Get your VISA to America, Canada, France, UK, etc from us before you pay} from our clients that wish to go on vacation, work, or visit any of the aforementioned countries and more. for further info, call/whatsap us via 08145705687.
Re: ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili by tinsel: 9:37pm On Aug 20, 2017
vincent10:
ASSU's demand is realistic but not attainable. The current government government does not care about quality education nor do they care about the masses.

More so, if demands of ASSU is met it will be mismanaged. I believe sincere gradual measures should be taken to resolve the decaying educational sector.

The children of politicians are schooling abroad hence u can cry a river none of them will be moved.

Why are you blaming the current government. TELL me any government in power Assu
did not go on strike?
Re: ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili by proffemi: 9:42pm On Aug 20, 2017
Iamzik:
Students are paying through their nose already. Almost all these universities have consultancy services running part time programmes that pay double or triple the normal school fee.

What do they do with all that money if government is responsible for payment of salaries and maintenance of the school. This is beside education grants by international organizations, PTF and others.

Universities should account for the money they currently make before asking for over 800 billion

Lol.

Statements like yours point to the real problem: most students and parents have absolutely zero idea how much proper tertiary education actually costs. How can a man value something if he doesn't even know what it costs? People like you make so many references to the (usually) meager IGR of universities as if they are magic bullets, because you have no idea the enormity of the problem.

What if I told you that an engineering BSc for which the average federal university student pays around N40k pa actually costs something in the ballpark of N 2,000,000 pa? How many consultancy services will universities run to manage such a deficit if government does not step up its game And that begs the question: are universities commercial entities that are duty-bound to generate the deficits from IGR, or should students pay appropriately-hiked fees?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili by Tj70(m): 9:46pm On Aug 20, 2017
Oby is your tenure that destroyed university education, when Obasanjo the then president promised to destroy public universities by registering private ones in order to neutralize ASUU.

1 Like

Re: ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili by bigtt76(f): 9:46pm On Aug 20, 2017
Sure but then there are a thousand and one scheme the ASUU people can use to raise funds other than school fees. They know it but are just too lazy to do anything. How many of our professors have chairs instituted in their names by corporate organizations in Nigeria today? None! These are one of the ways professors abroad get funding for research (one of the usual issues raised) etc but here in Nigeria, it must be government.

On students hostels, get private bodies to setup or manage the hostels. Governments don't have a hand in all these things abroad and they know it.

kings09:

1 Like

Re: ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili by proffemi: 9:52pm On Aug 20, 2017
bigtt76:
Sure but then there are a thousand and one scheme the ASUU people can use to raise funds other than school fees. They know it but are just too lazy to do anything.

Jeez. Everybody wants ASUU to come up with schemes to raise money. Are you sure you want me devoting only 5% of my time to educate the future leaders in my field just so I can generate ideas to raise money to subsidize ...arrrggg.

Lets keep it simple. I was employed to teach and conduct research, not come up with business plans to make it cheaper for you to get a world class education. Why should that be my job

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili by Thatlonevoice(m): 10:01pm On Aug 20, 2017
the moment I saw that it was sister oby that was talking.. I lost interest..

ASUU strike and ur here saying another thing. no matter their wants.. it should be met. we cannot stay in Nigeria and ur children will be abroad schooling..
sadists!!

Go and feed your hungry husband and give him. the entitlement he deserves every night..

Thank God buubuu is back... he should do something and don't behave like a robot..

I repeat.... oby go and Feed ur husband and give him his benefits

1 Like

Re: ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili by Iamzik: 10:06pm On Aug 20, 2017
proffemi:

Lol.

Statements like yours point to the real problem: most students and parents have absolutely zero idea how much proper tertiary education actually costs. How can a man value something if he doesn't even know what it costs? People like you make so many references to the (usually) meager IGR of universities as if they are magic bullets, because you have no idea the enormity of the problem.

What if I told you that an engineering BSc for which the average federal university student pays around N40k pa actually costs something in the ballpark of N 2,000,000 pa? How many consultancy services will universities run to manage such a deficit if government does not step up its game And that begs the question: are universities commercial entities that are duty-bound to generate the deficits from IGR, or should students pay appropriately-hiked fees?

Give us the breakdown of the supposed N2m per annum (10m per student for 5yr engineering). Even some private universities so not pay that much despite the fact that they do not receive government fund to run the school and pay salaries.

Are you denying wasteful spending, mismanagement and secrecy surrounding financial management of universities in Nigeria?

All the grants that was relieved in the past where is the value. Government should find education adequately, YES but government and society must get accountability and value for money spent

BTW revenue generating agency remit to government coffers. Do universities remit any percentage of their IGR?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

List Of School That Have Released Post UTME Forms / 10 Categories Of Students That Request For Extra Booklets During Exam / Protest In TASUED As Soldiers Invade School, Arrest SUG President, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.