Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,795 members, 7,810,072 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:01 PM

Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) (20583 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? / Registered But Barely Driven Volvo S80 T6 For Sale 07030843024 / 2018 Volvo XC40 Unveiled As A Small Premium SUV - Photos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by barrydee(m): 3:35pm On Aug 21, 2017
Good day guys,
I need your honest answers. I drove a friend's car (2001 Volvo s80 2.8 T6 twin turbo charged Engine) over the weekend from Port Harcourt to Calabar and I was wowed. The handling was great especially the torque & power. No car saw my behind all through the journey and I felt totally safe even at speed up to 150kph. The gas mileage was better compared to a 3.0 Camry v6 not to talk of the stylish interior and club banging factory stereo.
My questions are :
-why do people avoid Volvo Cars?
-why do Volvo cars have poor 2nd hand value?
-Being a Swedish car, are the parts cheaper when compared to German cars(Benz, BMW etc)?
-The s80 has straight 5cylinder, 5cyl Turbo, straight 6cyl and 6cyl twin-turbo engines. Which of these engines is less problematic?

I currently own a 2001 Honda crv but Im considering the volvo s80 and i don't know if it's a good upgrade.
My Volvo enthusiasts in the house, over to you guys.....

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by NABAAUTOS(m): 3:38pm On Aug 21, 2017
Not a bad ride.

1 Like

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by osundu(m): 3:52pm On Aug 21, 2017
Parts are expensive

2 Likes

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by oluwaseunla(m): 3:56pm On Aug 21, 2017
osundu:
Parts are expensive

Hehe!!! Valarinz is coming for you cheesy cheesy cheesy

Personally, I love the car though.

1 Like

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by barrydee(m): 4:01pm On Aug 21, 2017
osundu:
Parts are expensive

How about the availability of the parts? Have you bought the parts before or its just a "hear-say"? is it as expensive as Mercedes or BMW parts?

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by barrydee(m): 5:22pm On Aug 21, 2017
more replies please
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by princetom1(m): 5:42pm On Aug 21, 2017
Valarinz talk nau, why u just dey look?

1 Like

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by valarinz: 5:44pm On Aug 21, 2017
oluwaseunla:

Hehe!!! Valarinz is coming for you cheesy cheesy cheesy

Personally, I love the car though.

Wrong!! I don't even like that S80 of a car sef

Besides, the statement he made is not even clear, "parts are expensive" is a relative statement. He didn't compare it to any other car, so assuming he currently owns a golf 3, then his comment is very much on point. But to someone who owns a g-wagon the parts is not expensive, so let's wait until he compares it with a certain car model

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by valarinz: 5:47pm On Aug 21, 2017
princetom1:
Valarinz talk nau, why u just dey look?

Lol, bros you be monitoring spirit abi,

10 Likes

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by princetom1(m): 5:48pm On Aug 21, 2017
valarinz:

Lol, bros you be monitoring spirit abi,

Oya shook mouth

1 Like

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by princetom1(m): 5:49pm On Aug 21, 2017
valarinz:

Besides, the statement he made is not even clear, "parts are expensive" is a relative statement. He didn't compare it to any other car, so assuming he currently owns a golf 3, then his comment is very much on point. But to someone who owns a g-wagon the parts is not expensive, so let's wait until he compares it with a certain car model

OP currently using CRV 2001, so, compare and contrast

1 Like

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by valarinz: 5:54pm On Aug 21, 2017
barrydee:
Good day guys,
I need your honest answers. I drove a friend's car (2001 Volvo s80 2.8 T6 twin turbo charged Engine) over the weekend from Port Harcourt to Calabar and I was wowed. The handling was great especially the torque & power. No car saw my behind all through the journey and I felt totally safe even at speed up to 150kph. The gas mileage was better compared to a 3.0 Camry v6 not to talk of the stylish interior and club banging factory stereo.
My questions are :
-Being a Swedish car, are the parts cheaper when compared to German cars(Benz, BMW etc)?
-The s80 has straight 5cylinder, 5cyl Turbo, straight 6cyl and 6cyl twin-turbo engines. Which of these engines is less problematic?

I currently own a 2001 Honda crv but Im considering the volvo s80 and i don't know if it's a good upgrade.

If you ask me sha, just leave that T6 twin turbo engine matter for one corner, sweet as toks but when the wahala start, you'll begin to wonder if it's the handiwork of your village people. If you must do an S80 then I'll recommend the 5cyl turbo engine cos it's not problematic and it's also pocket friendly

Now, 2001 Volvo S80 vs 2001 Honda CRV, I'm not sure they're in the same class as one is a sedan and the other a mini SUV. I don't need to preach to you about how both cars perform cos you've tasted both but I have a feeling the crv should be cheaper to maintain compared to that T6 you drove(more reason why I still suggest the 5cyl if it must be S80)

Thx

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by barrydee(m): 6:02pm On Aug 21, 2017
valarinz:

@valarinz why don't you like S80 please state your reasons. How about comparing the parts of S80 with the parts of 2001ml320, 2001 C class kompressor or 2001 BMW koja?
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by barrydee(m): 6:03pm On Aug 21, 2017
valarinz:

@valarinz why don't you like S80 please state your reasons. How about comparing the parts of S80 with the parts of 2001ml320, 2001 C class kompressor or 2001 BMW coja?
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by valarinz: 6:12pm On Aug 21, 2017
barrydee:

@valarinz why don't you like S80 please state your reasons. How about comparing the parts of S80 with the parts of 2001ml320, 2001 C class kompressor or 2001 BMW coja?

Compared to the cars you listed above, the S80 parts is way cheaper, no doubt

Reasons I don't like S80? The shape. Looks like a coffin or square carton to me, and besides its not fashionable and on-demand like the S60. That's assuming we're even talking about the 5cyl version, those T6 twin turbo get wahala wella so it's not even an option to me

Note that they all have the same body and interior oo, just when you open the hood you'll start seeing different engine types

11 Likes

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by barrydee(m): 7:16pm On Aug 21, 2017
valarinz:

Compared to the cars you listed above, the S80 parts is way cheaper, no doubt

Reasons I don't like S80? The shape. Looks like a coffin or square carton to me, and besides its not fashionable and on-demand like the S60. That's assuming we're even talking about the 5cyl version, those T6 twin turbo get wahala wella so it's not even an option to me

Note that they all have the same body and interior oo, just when you open the hood you'll start seeing different engine types

it seems you are experienced when it comes to cars. Apart from the looks of the s80 which I believe some folks like it and think it's stylish, what are the pros and cons of this ride? thanks
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by diportivo: 8:59pm On Aug 21, 2017
barrydee:

it seems you are experienced when it comes to cars. Apart from the looks of the s80 which I believe some folks like it and think it's stylish, what are the pros and cons of this ride? thanks

u really love ur volvo

truth is,u wld feel that treat even if u had driven a 1989 volvo 740 katalysator . the balance and the handling make plenty sense......no be lie grin

buy ur volvo.....avoid the T6 wink

4 Likes

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by barrydee(m): 9:40pm On Aug 21, 2017
diportivo:

u really love ur volvo

truth is,u wld feel that treat even if u had driven a 1989 volvo 740 katalysator . the balance and the handling make plenty sense......no be lie grin

buy ur volvo.....avoid the T6 wink

Thanks Bro. That was actually my first time of driving a Volvo and I can authoritatively say dat the balance and handling is better than that of different Japanese cars I have driven for more than a decade now. About the T6, I heard it's the most problematic of all the engines. Looking forward to getting the 5cyl straight or the T5 next month. thanks once again.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by Nobody: 4:35am On Aug 22, 2017
There's nothing wrong with most of these cars.

Just try to get a well sorted Tokunbo. I won't touch a Naija used Volvo at any price.

7 Likes

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by Nobody: 7:44am On Aug 22, 2017
EgunMogaji:
There's nothing wrong with most of these cars.

Just try to get a well sorted Tokunbo. I won't touch a Naija used Volvo at any price.

Doesn't matter, in two years the car will be naija ravaged. One of the reasons for poor maintenance culture is one knows that once the kazeem gets his hands on the car, even for routine maintenance, the fuckery begins.

This shit even goes down in the so called oem reps. It's almost as if you need to physically and personally be in the workshop with them. Some people actually do this

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by Nobody: 8:23am On Aug 22, 2017
oyb:

Doesn't matter, in two years the car will be naija ravaged. One of the reasons for poor maintenance culture is one knows that once the kazeem gets his hands on the car, even for routine maintenance, the fuckery begins.

This shit even goes down in the so called oem reps. It's almost as if you need to physically and personally be in the workshop with them. Some people actually do this

It does matter somewhat.

He'll at least get some good use out of the car for the first two years in Nigeria.

The fuckery that was done to my 4Runner makes me want to sit down and ask the offending Kazeem some detailed questions about his state of mind angry

PS: We're on the frontpage, now true fuckery will really commence smiley

4 Likes

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by KingsleyCEO: 8:25am On Aug 22, 2017
Hope you still remember what they say about first impression and how it matters most...

Their first cars were not in anyway close to being cool or sweet.
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by faithscharms(f): 8:25am On Aug 22, 2017
Because the remind me of my ancestors..
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by Ermacc: 8:26am On Aug 22, 2017
High fuel consumption.
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by Okuda(m): 8:29am On Aug 22, 2017
The safest Brand in the world. The only enlightened Nigerians are the ones who have lived outside Africa for at least a year. Take my word to the bank!

5 Likes

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by Alitair(m): 8:29am On Aug 22, 2017
The voom sound made by volvo cars when you flash them light from behind goes a long way to remind me of the ancestral origin of the car...

1 Like

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by sod09(m): 8:30am On Aug 22, 2017
they are mostly manual
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by InvertedHammer: 8:32am On Aug 22, 2017
barrydee:
Good day guys,
My questions are :

The problem with Volvo is that it couldn't find its niche. It cannot compete with everyday Japanese cars like Toyota and Honda neither can it compete with the more luxury Mercedes and BMW. Nice ride though. I had an S60 once. Transmission problems are common.
//

1 Like

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by MaziOmenuko: 8:34am On Aug 22, 2017
oyb:

I do it too my bro, its not easy. You even have to research, make inquiries, tell the technician what to do and then give him just 5 minutes without supervision, you fvcks your car up like kilode. Its so frustrating!

2 Likes

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by jashar(f): 8:35am On Aug 22, 2017
the noise....
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by chigoizie7(m): 8:36am On Aug 22, 2017
So because u drove it once, u felt it was nice,

Same taught I had, but u was wrong.

Guy , if that car give u trouble eeh?

I started calling it one weeek 5 troubles. Had to abandon it and use my leggedis benz
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by Naturallyme: 8:37am On Aug 22, 2017
I have been using the car for almost 4 years now. No regrets. What helps me is because I am a mechanical engineer and potentially an auto mechanic. I need to commend the utmost reliability of my car as it moves any day any time. I use the 5 cylinder and I am maintenance savvy. I schedule my maintenance before any fault occurs like, change timing belt, fuelpump and all before they breakdown. The motor has many electronics, so one problem may lead to another soon u need to solve any little problem as soon as possible. mechanics always misconstrue thecar Problems but if you are technologically oriented, Youtube willsolve all your problems. I change my shafts, hubs, rods,and Ball joints under30K last october and I have not done any repair since then till now. I only change oil and I drive Lekki to egbeda every working day.

My car is a converted car.

13 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Advised Against Honda Accord.... / Best SUV For 1 Million Naira Budget? / Toyota Camry 2008 Vs Honda Accord 2008 - Which Is Better And Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.