Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,935 members, 7,817,727 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:05 PM

Can We Unite Over Something? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can We Unite Over Something? (1433 Views)

South West Will Unite Over Presidency(2023) — Apc Chieftain / Bukola Saraki, Gbemisola Unite Over Onslaught Against Late Father / PDP Presidential Candidates Unite Ahead Of Convention; Atiku Absent; See Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can We Unite Over Something? by Nobody: 4:36am On Aug 22, 2017
Read from left to right the Japanese katakana says:

na/i/ji/ri/a

ナイジリア

Re: Can We Unite Over Something? by Nobody: 4:38am On Aug 22, 2017
a/re/wa

アレワ

Re: Can We Unite Over Something? by Nobody: 4:39am On Aug 22, 2017
bi/a/fu/ra

ビアフラ

Re: Can We Unite Over Something? by Nobody: 4:40am On Aug 22, 2017
o/du/du/wa

オヅヅワ

Re: Can We Unite Over Something? by Nobody: 4:54am On Aug 22, 2017
Why Japanese?

We have each allowed our local languages and cultures to make us arrogant but besides that, can you see how you have read this thread so far, absorbed all of those symbols and seen that the world has not ended.

In this forum at least, all of those entities can coexist. What is stopping this from happening out there in the world today? Examine your internal biases very closely to see whether or not you are part of the problem or part of the solution.

The Japanese Kanji acts as an equaliser. To many of the readers of this forum, the kanji is foreign and unfamiliar. That is how each of these territories looks to the groups that they seek to exclude. Biafra is a foreign and scary thing to many Nigerian's. Arewa Republic brings up separatist fears and Oduduwa does the same. Reading the Kanji and appreciating it helps to bring us outside of ourselves for a short while.

So what now?

I'll come back with more to discuss on the topic but the bottom line is that I believe all three of these states can exist with peaceful cooperation under a banner known as Nigeria. Or if we want we can change the name to something else:

na/i/ji

ナイジ

Re: Can We Unite Over Something? by thesicilian: 5:48am On Aug 22, 2017
What we need is a change in mentality. I don't believe there's much wrong with the current structure of Nigeria.
Re: Can We Unite Over Something? by Nobody: 6:03am On Aug 22, 2017
I think we need a change in our attitude and self- reorientation...although I believe something is wrong with the system we operate cos it s not bringing about even development..only don't like the way IPOB's are going about it . Moreso,itz not President B uhari's fault ...
Re: Can We Unite Over Something? by Nobody: 6:04am On Aug 22, 2017
thesicilian:
What we need is a change in mentality. I don't believe there's me wrong with the current structure of Nigeria.

I agree. How do we encourage the change in mentality? And how do we do that effectively?

Most importantly, what mentality do we want to change to?
Re: Can We Unite Over Something? by Nobody: 6:08am On Aug 22, 2017
freddywells81:
I think we need a change in our attitude and self- reorientation...although I believe something is wrong with the system we operate cos it s not bringing about even development..only don't like the way IPOB's are going about it . Moreso,itz not President B uhari's fault ...

Yeah, IPOB seems to be stirring up a lot of sentiment. What in particular do you think is wrong with their methods?

And yes, I also think the problems go deeper than Buhari. If anything, he could be seen as a symptom of a much larger problem.
Re: Can We Unite Over Something? by remsonik(f): 6:13am On Aug 22, 2017
Jahsam:

I agree. How do we encourage the change in mentality? And how do we do that effectively?

I agree with him. We need a change in mentality. We need to see ourselves as one. All tribes need to be incorporated into the system of government at the state and federal level. We need to respect each other and the government must be answerable to us citizens

1 Like

Re: Can We Unite Over Something? by unohbethel(m): 6:15am On Aug 22, 2017
@op i av some question 4 u

1. Why is it that international air ports in the entire eastern region not working ?. 2. Why is it that all the sea ports in the eastern region not working ?. 3. Why should I have 280 score in jamb to study a particular course in the university why so one from the north will have 80 and given admission in the same course. 4. Why will some protesters be protected and others are attacked . 5. Why must I travel out of the eastern region before I can prepare my travel documents. 6. Why is it that in the military someone from the north will always be promoted to head those with superior papers just because they are from the east . 7. Have u seen a northern graduate riding keke . 8. Why does the government make economic laws that will always kill business activities in the east. 9. Why are we forced to live together against our will?. Nigeria is not nonnegotiable this is a hate speech and an act of terrorism.

problems of 9ja is JUSTICE, simpl

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can We Unite Over Something? by thesicilian: 6:23am On Aug 22, 2017
Jahsam:

We need to believe first of all that our problem is not Nigeria (the structure), but Nigeria (the people). Every leader we have had since independence has come from among us, not from foreign lands. If it was possible to have an exchange of people between Nigeria and US, for instance, say all Nigerians to relocate to US and all Americans should relocate to Nigeria, in less than 10yrs, I can assure you that America will become as corrupt and disorganized as we are today and Nigeria will become the new world Superpower.
Nigeria is blessed, and an enterprising mind will find gold even in areas as supposedly dry as Niger or Osun.
Re: Can We Unite Over Something? by Nobody: 6:31am On Aug 22, 2017
Jahsam:

Yeah, IPOB seems to be stirring up a lot of sentiment. What in particular do you think is wrong with their methods?

And yes, I also think the problems go deeper than Buhari. If anything, he could be seen as a symptom of a much larger problem.

Igbos' don't really like any other tribe other than themselves ..they R no good listener..always the usual gra-gra style.Before u say jack,they attack you and by this,I am not sure they R likely to get what they want..although many would av wanted it but for their style ..
I gat to attend to my little work now so can't say much as I'd av loved to.Will keep in touch though .

Observe how they'll be more than willing to Abuse me...
Re: Can We Unite Over Something? by Nobody: 10:11am On Aug 22, 2017
thesicilian:

We need to believe first of all that our problem is not Nigeria (the structure), but Nigeria (the people). Every leader we have had since independence has come from among us, not from foreign lands. If it was possible to have an exchange of people between Nigeria and US, for instance, say all Nigerians to relocate to US and all Americans should relocate to Nigeria, in less than 10yrs, I can assure you that America will become as corrupt and disorganized as we are today and Nigeria will become the new world Superpower.
Nigeria is blessed, and an enterprising mind will find gold even in areas as supposedly dry as Niger or Osun.

Very strong point about the problem being the people, not the current structure of the country. People won't like to admit their culpability though. For them the problem is always outside or elsewhere

1 Like

Re: Can We Unite Over Something? by Nobody: 10:13am On Aug 22, 2017
freddywells81:

Igbos' don't really like any other tribe other than themselves ..they R no good listener..always the usual gra-gra style.Before u say jack,they attack you and by this,I am not sure they R likely to get what they want..although many would av wanted it but for their style ..
I gat to attend to my little work now so can't say much as I'd av loved to.Will keep in touch though .

Thank you, please keep in touch.

I've heard that complaint as well, that they are too boisterous and not inclusive enough. It's dangerous.

My problem with the current Biafran agitation is that it seems to be more of an Igbo issue. What about all the other tribes? What Biafra are they fighting for?
Re: Can We Unite Over Something? by Nobody: 10:22am On Aug 22, 2017
remsonik:

I agree with him. We need a change in mentality. We need to see ourselves as one. All tribes need to be incorporated into the system of government at the state and federal level. We need to respect each other and the government must be answerable to us citizens

Interesting point about all tribes needed to be incorporated into government at the state and federal level. The majority tribes will never stand for that at present though, I don't know why they are so insecure about holding on to power. Yes, that includes Igbos. They think they will be the majority in Biafra; how is that supposed to galvanise any of the other tribes in the region? What you're essentially giving them is a smaller version of Nigeria where they'll be oppressed by one majority instead of three.

Like you say, the equitable distribution and access to leadership positions is essential for the country to succeed. Even those pockets of secession will need that if they are to succeed.

1 Like

Re: Can We Unite Over Something? by Nobody: 10:28am On Aug 22, 2017
unohbethel:
@op i av some question 4 u

1. Why is it that international air ports in the entire eastern region not working ?. 2. Why is it that all the sea ports in the eastern region not working ?. 3. Why should I have 280 score in jamb to study a particular course in the university why so one from the north will have 80 and given admission in the same course. 4. Why will some protesters be protected and others are attacked . 5. Why must I travel out of the eastern region before I can prepare my travel documents. 6. Why is it that in the military someone from the north will always be promoted to head those with superior papers just because they are from the east . 7. Have u seen a northern graduate riding keke . 8. Why does the government make economic laws that will always kill business activities in the east. 9. Why are we forced to live together against our will?. Nigeria is not nonnegotiable this is a hate speech and an act of terrorism.

problems of 9ja is JUSTICE, simpl

Boss, those are some solid questions. I can only really intelligently answer number one:

That is why, for instance, the Ibom Deep Sea Port and Industrial City development must be supported, not just by Akwa-Ibomites but members of that entire region. http://idsp.ak.gov.ng/ It's a project that is ongoing and should be supported not just for the benefit of that region but of the entire country. Build.
Re: Can We Unite Over Something? by DocHMD: 10:34am On Aug 22, 2017
freddywells81:

Pre-IPOB I'm sure you were one of those who supported the killing of pro-Biafrans in Ezu river and numerous attacks against MASSOB. You even mocked them when they were arrested. We were here reading all your hate comment from 2006-2013.
Now that you have a more radicalized and organized pro-Biafran group in IPOB, you expect them to 'love you' back? for what? grin

Bwahahaha! zoogerians looking for the love of people they hate since 12BC. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can We Unite Over Something? by unohbethel(m): 10:42am On Aug 22, 2017
Jahsam:

Boss, those are some solid questions. I can only really intelligently answer number one:

That is why, for instance, the Ibom Deep Sea Port and Industrial City development must be supported, not just by Akwa-Ibomites but members of that entire region. http://idsp.ak.gov.ng/ It's a project that is ongoing and should be supported not just for the benefit of that region but of the entire country. Build.

thanks for ur honest answer..yes that project shud be supported.but d question is why is dia not support for it since its a good project?

dats wat am sayin..the main thing is that wat divides us is greater than wat unites us...

and the head of it all is our politicians...they divid us usin tribe and religion...

and that is why there is no justice here...so the first start to unity in nigeria is wat i said before:JUSTICE.

thanks
Re: Can We Unite Over Something? by Agumbaa: 10:58am On Aug 22, 2017
DocHMD:

Pre-IPOB I'm sure you were one of those who supported the killing of pro-Biafrans in Ezu river and numerous attacks against MASSOB. You even mocked them when they were arrested. We were here reading all your hate comment from 2006-2013.
Now that you have a more radicalized and organized pro-Biafran group in IPOB, you expect them to 'love you' back? for what? grin

1 Like

Re: Can We Unite Over Something? by omoharry(f): 11:57am On Aug 22, 2017
No we cant.
Re: Can We Unite Over Something? by Nobody: 12:09pm On Aug 22, 2017
unohbethel:

thanks for ur honest answer..yes that project shud be supported.but d question is why is dia not support for it since its a good project?

dats wat am sayin..the main thing is that wat divides us is greater than wat unites us...

and the head of it all is our politicians...they divid us usin tribe and religion...

and that is why there is no justice here...so the first start to unity in nigeria is wat i said before:JUSTICE.

thanks

You're right, the support for projects like this need to be greater and more visible. There is support, just not in ways that are immediately obvious, or that might seem tribal or self-serving.

The government is investing in that project, African Development Bank is involved as well, PWC, the international auditing firm is involved. Companies from all over the world are involved so there is very clearly, major support for the project. The question for me then is, why aren't we seeing it?

Is that something that we think is within our power? To help people see it that is.
Re: Can We Unite Over Something? by Nobody: 12:10pm On Aug 22, 2017
omoharry:
No we cant.

Why do you think that?
Re: Can We Unite Over Something? by omoharry(f): 1:19pm On Aug 22, 2017
Jahsam:

Why do you think that?
So many factors my brother.Majority of Nigerians do not reason objectively nor do they have a discerning mined for issues that concerns them and as such cannot achieve a common purpose without suspicious of the motive behind that very move even if it is glaring that is for the good of everyone. This issue raises it ugly head whenever people from different religious and ethnic dichotomy are involve. Majority of Nigerian youth and adult are gullible( they read,hear and believe everything they get hook line and sinker from their political leaders who will always stand in the way of a united masses: blind loyalist i will call them). Secondly, They are easily carried away by their greed for material things and opulence.This is why they can easily be bought over by money or political appointment that will change their lot. No sense of honor,integrity nor patriotism. By the time you know it, they this same people will turn around and start singing another language different from the one they vouched to uphold.We must repair our deform psychic before we can be able to come under one umbrella to fight for a common purpose. so, NO: this present youth cannot unite under one umbrella, we are too divided to reason alike.

1 Like

Re: Can We Unite Over Something? by Nobody: 3:21pm On Aug 22, 2017
omoharry:
So many factors my brother.Majority of Nigerians do not reason objectively nor do they have a discerning mined for issues that concerns them and as such cannot achieve a common purpose without suspicious of the motive behind that very move even if it is glaring that is for the good of everyone. This issue raises it ugly head whenever people from different religious and ethnic dichotomy are involve. Majority of Nigerian youth and adult are gullible( they read,hear and believe everything they get hook line and sinker from their political leaders who will always stand in the way of a united masses: blind loyalist i will call them). Secondly, They are easily carried away by their greed for material things and opulence.This is why they can easily be bought over by money or political appointment that will change their lot. No sense of honor,integrity nor patriotism. By the time you know it, they this same people will turn around and start singing another language different from the one they vouched to uphold.We must repair our deform psychic before we can be able to come under one umbrella to fight for a common purpose. so, NO: this present youth cannot unite under one umbrella, we are too divided to reason alike.

Very strong points omoharry. I will beg to differ on one crucial point though, I believe that the present youth can unite under one umbrella. They aren't as stuck in the ways of their parents or elder statesmen.

Can we encourage people to not get carried away by their greed or need for materialism? It's very hard to overcome, the barriers that you mentioned. What institutions are supposed to be in place to help us overcome those barriers? From a Government and Civilian point of view.

How do we encourage a stronger identification with those ideals you mentioned (Honour, Integrity and Patriotism) in the minds of the youth and the populace at large? How can civilians do that? How can the government do that? Most importantly, how can the government and the citizens work together to promote and live by those ideals?
Re: Can We Unite Over Something? by omoharry(f): 3:47pm On Aug 22, 2017
Jahsam:

Very strong points omoharry. I will beg to differ on one crucial point though, I believe that the present youth can unite under one umbrella. They aren't as stuck in the ways of their parents or elder statesmen.

Can we encourage people to not get carried away by their greed or need for materialism? It's very hard to overcome, the barriers that you mentioned. What institutions are supposed to be in place to help us overcome those barriers? From a Government and Civilian point of view.

How do we encourage a stronger identification with those ideals you mentioned (Honour, Integrity and Patriotism) in the minds of the youth and the populace at large? How can civilians do that? How can the government do that? Most importantly, how can the government and the citizens work together to promote and live by those ideals?
Well, i stand to be corrected anyway..this is the society both of us live in.So can you pick/vouch for any youth that can stand the test of these three factors that have mentioned? And would not flinch even a bit when he is offered millions of naira and a political appointment? he will ask himself why he should risk these goodies that has come one in his life time for the same Nigerians that wouldn't even honor nor immortalize him should should anything happen to him..life goes on that is how it is in Nigeria..the honorable ones get ignored while the corrupt once with money get immortalized...nothing count in this country except money.This is the sick society we find ourselves..and we are a product of this society..now how would you convince this man to see things differently? when he knows the society he comes from do not celebrate our heroes but only mock them for showing undue bravery which they see as self serving for cheap publicity..why would anyone want to ignore those nice goodies over what? fighting for Nigerians? it is complicated..though but i think it we shall get there but it cannot be a sudden things.
Re: Can We Unite Over Something? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Aug 22, 2017
DocHMD:

Who hates you? I am a free man and besides,my best friend is from Abia state .Just 3 months ago I was in his village around Obingwa LGA and almost everyone knows me in his family. Even some Igbos I met criticized Kanu's style...
Moreso,I wasn't on Nairaland' BTW the years specified ..and who told u IPOB is organised? "Zoogerians?!"..and yet u refused to leave the zoo .When Arewa youths gave una ultimatums ,u were trembling and shaking in your ...I am a Lagosian ,we don't need you..u need us.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can We Unite Over Something? by DocHMD: 7:05pm On Aug 22, 2017
freddywells81:

Who hates you? I am a free man and besides,my best friend is from Abia state .Just 3 months ago I was in his village around Obingwa LGA and almost everyone knows me in his family. Even some Igbos I met criticized Kanu's style...
Moreso,I wasn't on Nairaland' BTW the years specified ..and who told u IPOB is organised? "Zoogerians?!"..and yet u refused to leave the zoo .When Arewa youths gave una ultimatums ,u were trembling and shaking in your ...I am a Lagosian ,we don't need you..u need us.

We tell you to have your own country, so I can have mine as I don't need you, you become agitated and start preaching about how I need you. I still repeat that I do not need you, you lament and cry that I need you. Don't you think it is mad and funny? grin

1 Like

Re: Can We Unite Over Something? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Aug 22, 2017
omoharry:
Well, i stand to be corrected anyway..this is the society both of us live in.So can you pick/vouch for any youth that can stand the test of these three factors that have mentioned? And would not flinch even a bit when he is offered millions of naira and a political appointment? he will ask himself why he should risk these goodies that has come one in his life time for the same Nigerians that wouldn't even honor nor immortalize him should should anything happen to him..life goes on that is how it is in Nigeria..the honorable ones get ignored while the corrupt once with money get immortalized...nothing count in this country except money.This is the sick society we find ourselves..and we are a product of this society..now how would you convince this man to see things differently? when he knows the society he comes from do not celebrate our heroes but only mock them for showing undue bravery which they see as self serving for cheap publicity..why would anyone want to ignore those nice goodies over what? fighting for Nigerians? it is complicated..though but i think it we shall get there but it cannot be a sudden things.

It would certainly be hard for these things to happen suddenly. I'd say the change is already here omoharry. While you're right in that there is no one I could point to right now that is a youth and that I think would actually protect my interests I think there are opportunities for youths to get involved with governance without having to actually campaign and enter official political office.

Like you and others have said, politics in Nigeria seems to run on the sole purpose of corrupting individuals as opposed to making upstanding members of government.

You're right here though, omoharry, how can we amplify your voice, or rather, your ideals so that many more are inspired to act and think differently. All it takes is inspiring one mind and great things can follow. It sounds idealistic and that's because many people ignore the effort that actually goes into making sure the spark of an idea survives the harshness of life.

I guess what I'm asking you omoharry, is how do we, citizens, start an effective enough movement to get ourselves, Nigerians, to care about ourselves a bit more. To uphold those ideals of Honour, Integrity and Patriotism.
Re: Can We Unite Over Something? by Nobody: 7:36pm On Aug 22, 2017
freddywells81:

With all due respect freddy, none of us actually needs to other person/tribe that much. That sort of thinking fosters prejudice and ill will. Inasmuch as you think you don't need them, they also don't need you.

That being said, there is a strong argument to be made for why we might be stronger together rather than apart. For that strength to be realised, we need to be ready and willing to drop any such tribal sentiment. Tribal in this context isn't simply about tribe but also in thinking, however slightly, that your parcel of land is categorically better than any other parcel of land in the country.

We like to read a lot of motivational books in Nigeria but out of all the ones I have read, one particular mantra sticks out to me: Don't rely on borrowed power. You need to examine forensically what it is that gives you power before you seek to rely on it, lest it be taken away from you since it was never really yours to begin with.

I do agree though, there is little utility in calling people "Zoogerians" when we're all in this zoo together.

1 Like

Re: Can We Unite Over Something? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Aug 22, 2017
Jahsam:

With all due respect freddy, none of us actually needs to other person/tribe that much. That sort of thinking fosters prejudice and ill will. Inasmuch as you think you don't need them, they also don't need you.

That being said, there is a strong argument to be made for why we might be stronger together rather than apart. For that strength to be realised, we need to be ready and willing to drop any such tribal sentiment. Tribal in this context isn't simply about tribe but also in thinking, however slightly, that your parcel of land is categorically better than any other parcel of land in the country.

We like to read a lot of motivational books in Nigeria but out of all the ones I have read, one particular mantra sticks out to me: Don't rely on borrowed power. You need to examine forensically what it is that gives you power before you seek to rely on it, lest it be taken away from you since it was never really yours to begin with.

I do agree though, there is little utility in calling people "Zoogerians" when we're all in this zoo together.

I really appreciate your level of intelligence .I agree with you. The IPOB guyz on NL believes they can talk and are very crude ,hence the reason for that statement..They are always saying they don't need anybody and that they made Lagos what it is today which I find very uncomfortable with but have never responded in that directiom until now.I'm not being tribalistic( I cited example that I visited Abia and stayed with them,eat with them in the Village not the town part) but u'd agree with me that most of them do. Yes,I need to reiterate that fact( about Lagos been better)to them so that they understand better cos that s what most of them try to do by saying they R better off.They call Yoruba's Afonja,depict the brown roofs of Ibadan as a symbol of Yoruba society and yet they keep coming to Yoruba land to earn a living.
They believe their ideas are SACROSANCT and i'l always disagree with them,only for those that made sense .
Re: Can We Unite Over Something? by Nobody: 9:23pm On Aug 22, 2017
DocHMD:

We tell you to have your own country, so I can have mine as I don't, you become agitated and start preaching about how I need you. I still repeat that I do not need you, you lament and cry that I need you. Don't you think it is mad and funny? grin

I don't think what you have written make sense . It is you people (IPOB) that want your country of BIAFRA and has been agitating for it ,not me. U started by calling the whole country a zoo and everyone in the country monkeys and baboons ,forgetting you are still resident in that zoo( you av not left). What I am saying is if u don't need the so-called Afonja land or fulani-hausa land ,then get away but u refused ,ranting everyday ow u want to go.I'd av expected u all pack your bags and leave as a sign that you are serious.Mscheww

(1) (2) (Reply)

Next Governor Of Anambra State - Dr Tony Nwoye / Buhari Before And After / Slain IPOB Members : Corpses Found Inside Bush.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.